Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Likud started life as a terrorist organisation, called Irgun, and were responsible for the Dier Yassin massacre before being incorporated as part of the IDF with the political strands forming the far right Herut party and then finally Likud in the 1970s. The idea that they’re some peaceful organisation that @Beachryan is trying to portray is wildly inaccurate.

Supports
Barcelona
Another massacre by the barbaric IDF an hour ago at Al-Fakhura school, part of the Jebalya refugee camp.
Early estimates: 200 dead.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Likud started life as a terrorist organisation, called Irgun, and were responsible for the Dier Yassin massacre before being incorporated as part of the IDF with the political strands forming the far right Herut party and then finally Likud in the 1970s. The idea that they’re some peaceful organisation that @Beachryan is trying to portray is wildly inaccurate.
Ben Gvir & Bezalel Smotrich. These two and peace should never be uttered under the same breath.

Raven

You're seeing what you want to see. I was responding to direct questions on both, so only included parts relevant to those questions. I don't pretend to be an expert on either, I'm asking for guidance like anyone should. I encourage everyone to read the documents themselves.

Here is the source I used for the Likud founding charter (1977), in full: https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/original-party-platform-of-the-likud-party
Here is the source I've previously used for the Hamas founding charter (1988), in full: https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/hamas.asp

As others have noted, Hamas have a much nicer, updated charter from 2017, you may read the entirety of that here: https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/hamas-2017-document-full

For me, personally, reading the two founding charters (admittedly translated into English in both cases) does not create a view that the two organisations are similar in many things, but if that's your interpretetation, that's fine.
I can see what you were trying to do bud.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
FFS I'm not saying they're peaceful, someone posted asking if the quotes were from the Likud charter, I linked that yes, they were from the Likud charter. That was gonna be it, until another poster then said that basically Likud is the same as Hamas. I happen to disagree with that statement. Apparently not morally-equating Likud and Hamas now puts me on the wrong side of whatever the f*ck this thread has turned into.

I give up.

Supports
Barcelona
I saw a tweet that mentioned that 92% of the dead in Gaza are civilians.

Hamas deaths represent the real "collateral damage" here!

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
But they are part of a coalition government with Likud and they do sit in the cabinet. Likud clearly has no problem with characters like these
There are similar characters in Likud right now, perhaps not quite as extreme. But historically Likud have shunned Kahanists, and the current alliance is primarily a product of Netanyahu’s desperation to stay in power (and hence out of prison).

Do they not sit within the Likud/governmental coalition? Unless I've got that completely wrong.
Yes they are part of the current ruling coalition.

Raven

There are similar characters in Likud right now, perhaps not quite as extreme. But historically Likud have shunned Kahanists, and the current alliance is primarily a product of Netanyahu’s desperation to stay in power (and hence out of prison).

Yes they are part of the current ruling coalition.
So has Netenyahu got supreme power? Why has Likud not ousted him for the multitude of crimes he's commited, let alone allowing these nut jobs into the decision making process?

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
So the claim here which you seem to have endorsed is that IDF troops have dug up buried bodies from the courtyard of the hospital so that their organs may be harvested back in Israel. Does that seem likely to you?
Endorsed? What an odd ascertion.

https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...ans-permission-families-dead/story?id=9390407

I just realise that things that have happened before, which were denied and and whom reported on such were cast as antisemites, might still happen.

There are reports that it's happening, it could be true. The context is, Israel has admitted to doing this previously, so perhaps it's not so far fetched.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...ans-permission-families-dead/story?id=9390407

I just realise that things that have happened before, which were denied and and whom reported on such were cast as antisemites, might still happen.

There are reports that it's happening, it could be true. The context is, Israel has admitted to doing this previously, so perhaps it's not so far fetched.
My guess is it's interpreted as a story of Israel specifically doing this on Palestinians. But the article mentions that it happened to bodies of Israeli soldiers too.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
My guess is it's interpreted as a story of Israel specifically doing this on Palestinians. But the article mentions that it happened to bodies of Israeli soldiers too.
I understand that but they denied it vehemently. Until they didn't and admitted to it.

Note; all nations do this, they lie.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

When you post something like that with no comment there’s a possibility it will be seen as an endorsement. You posted a tweet which implied a clear connection between a story that broke in 2009 (which contrary to your subsequent assertion was widely covered in Western media at the time) detailing cases of organ harvesting that occurred at a particular institute during the 90s, and a claim from a completely random Twitter account that Al Shifa hospital has reported that IDF have exhumed bodies there. The implied connection - that the IDF has dug up bodies in order to harvest their organs - is a fantastical jump to make based on the evidence presented.

Giggsyking

What exactly do you mean by Martyr? That he died for Islam?
I am not an expert in religion. But According to Islamic scholars, no. You only considerd a Martyr if you die in a pandemic, drwoning, get killed away from your home/family/money and last if you die for the sake of God. No mention of the word Islam.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I think that you might check again what martyr means.

And the fact that this is what you chose to harp on is kind of sad.
I'm asking the question. I checked what it meant. It means different things to different people. In this context it appears to be a religious reference but I was seeking clarification.

You don't have to die for Islam to be a matryr, just a cause. I live near the site of some very famous British martyrs called the Puddletown martyrs and they didn't die for religion either.
So famous you got their name wrong.

And what if he did? Is there something wrong with dying for what you believe in?
Or what the OP believes in since he applied the title

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I'm asking the question. I checked what it meant. It means different things to different people. In this context it appears to be a religious reference but I was seeking clarification.

So famous you got their name wrong.

Or what the OP believes in since he applied the title
Where did he make a religious reference? You're the one who mentioned Islam.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The Armenian community in Jerusalem faces an existential threat

The Armenian Quarter, representing 1/6 of the Old City, has been inhabited by Armenians since the 4th century during the inception of Christian pilgrimages to Jerusalem, adding to its historical and cultural richness.
On November 4, 2023, Armenian residents peacefully protested illegal construction within their Quarter. Things turned confrontational when armed settlers arrived, prompting police intervention. The next day, Xana Gardens Ltd, linked to the controversial deal, showed up with Danny Rothman (aka Danny Rubenstein)—the Australian owner of Xana Gardens Ltd and allegedly demanded the Armenians’ expulsion.
Reports suggest Rothman aimed to purchase 13-percent of the Armenian Quarter for a luxury hotel, endangering many Armenian homes.

https://armenianweekly.com/2023/11/...ity-in-jerusalem-faces-an-existential-threat/

It's a buy one get one free offer on Armenians in 2023!

glazed

Where did he make a religious reference? You're the one who mentioned Islam.
A martyr is usually a person who is killed because of their religious beliefs. That's how the phrase is normally used in context of this conflict. That's why I asked the OP to clarify. Let's see if he has the courage of his convictions or just using provocative dog whistle language while pretending he wasn't.

Kaos

A martyr is usually a person who is killed because of their religious beliefs. That's how the phrase is normally used in context of this conflict. That's why I asked the OP to clarify. Let's see if he has the courage of his convictions or just using provocative dog whistle language while pretending he wasn't.
What's the dog whistle here exactly?

Raven

No, that's not what martyr means.

Roane

I feel like a few thousand Hamas members failed to read up on the new, shall we say, friendlier Charter if Oct 7th was any indication. Similarly, Netanyahu is hardly upholding the founding principles of Likud.

The passage usually used as evidence of Hamas feeling towards Judaism is the one about even the trees and stones telling the jihadists there are Jews hiding behind them, as to ensure easier murdering.

Relgioins kinda suck eh?
FYI the passage Hamas use, wrongly, is one prophecy of battles that will happen at the times of the coming of Dajjal/anti Christ.

This one battle will be in Jerusalem fought by a returning Jesus/the Messiah and his followers against a Jewish sect of 70k wearing green shawls and crowns. There are Hadith and commentaries that explain that this will not be "All Jews" . Those fighting this sect will include Jews, Muslims and Christians who will be now just "believers" who are on the side of the Messiah.

There are other hadiths about other battles during this time. Including the armies from Mecca and Madinah that will side with Dajjal.

In fact the Hadith say that Dajjal will rise and lead an army from a group of Muslims known/called as Khawarij. A group who will outwardly look Muslim but their faith will "not be going past their throats" as in present themselves as believers but fake.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
No.

glazed

No, that's not what martyr means.
Do tell. That's how westerners use it. Using it to refer to anyone killed by Israel is a partisan practice used by Islamists and before that the PLO.

Last edited: