Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Super Hans

The way it has been going this week for Israel, and if Israel plows ahead in Rafah and the US vetos any UNSC resolution to implement the ICJ ruling, is there any possibility that some Western states could sanction Israel?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The way it has been going this week for Israel, and if Israel plows ahead in Rafah and the US vetos any UNSC resolution to implement the ICJ ruling, is there any possibility that some Western states could sanction Israel?
They wouldn't have any tangible effect on Israel going in. The only thing that would stop it would be for the Israeli government themselves stopping because of a highly improbable hostage deal.

Super Hans

They wouldn't have any tangible effect on Israel going in. The only thing that would stop it would be for the Israeli government themselves stopping because of a highly improbable hostage deal.
I understand that sanctions wouldn't stop the attack, I'm more thinking states may feel compelled to act in the face of Israeli defiance of the ICJ order.

Kaos

The US vetoing an ICJ motion at the security council would be something else. It places them firmly in the same camp as Putin protecting despots like Assad, or the Chinese strong arming Korea. Puts to bed this ridiculous notion of a supposed rules based international order.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
No. As long as the US are behind them, the rest of the West will do as the master says and there's nothing that can be done right now.

However the international pressure is mounting to a level never seen before. Israel chose the "us against the world" path and is now on full car crash mode, abandoning any pretense of legality, pouring oil on the fire instead of trying to put it out. It's now a pariah state, the US is looking like a mafia mob and the Corpse is looking over his shoulder with the Orange Madman breathing down his neck.

Let's see if the US accepts to be dragged into historic infamy or has a brief moment of lucidity.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Today I learned that Bezalel Smotrich’s great-grandfather fought in the Ottoman army during the First World War:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The US vetoing an ICJ motion at the security council would be something else. It places them firmly in the same camp as Putin protecting despots like Assad, or the Chinese strong arming Korea. Puts to bed this ridiculous notion of a supposed rules based international order.
It would reaffirm that the rules of the international order are made by the great powers not international organizations.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

As one of the comments approvingly says, "Victory Through Strength!"

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

As a US taxpayer, this is my responsibility too. This is where my taxes go. And I've done nothing about it.

ManUtd1999

As a US taxpayer, this is my responsibility too. This is where my taxes go. And I've done nothing about it.
I feel your pain/anger/frustration/you name it. I’m in the same situation. What we see in this video is wrong on so many levels. I pay taxes to defend our country and our allies, not to spray people like that while smoking cigarettes.

The video also illustrates how Israelis never considered Palestinians humans. What a terrible mentality.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Spanish defence minister says Gaza war is 'real genocide'

MADRID, May 25 (Reuters) - The Spanish defence minister said on Saturday that the conflict in Gaza is a "real genocide", as relations between Israel and Spain worsen following Madrid's decision to recognise a Palestinian state.

"We cannot ignore what is happening in Gaza, which is a real genocide," Robles said in the interview, during which she also discussed the Russian invasion of Ukraine and conflicts in Africa.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...er-says-gaza-war-is-real-genocide-2024-05-25/

Denis79

TicToc warriors, the IDF reminds me of the Chechen troops filming themselves at the beginning of the Ukraine war. Disguisting fecking retardic cnuts.

ManUtd1999

TicToc warriors, the IDF reminds me of the Chechen troops filming themselves at the beginning of the Ukraine war. Disguisting fecking retardic cnuts.
Uncivilized.

Hamas are terrible terrorists, and you have zero expectations of them. But for an army to behave this way? Disgusting indeed.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
What do you mean they don't have nowhere else to go. Don't the jews live a veeeeery comfortable life in US, in any country in Europe? Latin america? If there is any living in Asia? And as far as I know they have as little problems to live in muslim countries than christians in muslim countries. What are you talking about? 100 years ago? in todays present, they have 0 problems in western countries.
There is no surprise you have zero awareness and empathy to rise of antisemitism around the world. To you it is just a phrase which is used by Zionist to brush of any criticism of Israel. And any report about it you will dismiss as propaganda.

Lets entertain the ide a that jews needs a country to feel safe. Should we do a Nakhba in khursdistan and kill one million of turks and Iraqis and displace a few millions more? should we bomb the shit out of china till the Uighurs and Tibetans can have its own state? should we do the same with canada and US and have a two state solution (or the whole state) for the first nations? Should we kill any civilian and displace them in the millions because others suffered? So basically, you are arguing that as jews were persecuted and killed, they have the right to persecute and kill palestinians
Lets entertain idea we will not make made up premises based on absurd arguments. Nobody is arguing what you said. Nakba happened as a result of war started by Arabs, which they lost. Funny you didnt bother to provide historical examples when loosing side of war lost territory. And lets not forget ethnic cleansing of Jews from the Arab world as consequence.

And yes, any "means necessary" is a disgraceful sentence. But is crazy to me that you mount a whole argument on indignation for this sentence from anonymous people but you wave Netanyahu as unnecesary provocation and that is official government policy when you see what is happening now, the words of the minister of defense saying that are human animals and the rhetoric that we had been hearing? how you can deny the obvious when Israel excuses US words of the two state solutions saying that "they don't mean it and is just PR" (I believe them wholeheartly). How you can criticize the "any means necessary" when you have the mayor of Jerusalem to burying them ALIVE! so not even just kill them, but make them suffer. And like that many other officials. not random people. Officials that holds power. Soldiers than are deployed making this comments. Once random protests of anonymous vs officials saying much more things and most important, acting on it massacring palestinians on the tens of thousands while also anonymous israelis holds and attacks aid convoys implementing in real life the "any means necessary". How you can't see you own hiporcisy in your arguments?
Any means necessary is not a disgraceful sentence but principle implemented in real life on October 7 by people that hold power. The scope of attack was only limited by their current power. And "random people" celebrated October 7 as big victory only a few days later.

The 2 million arabs that are living in Israel relatively good life? tell the ones that are being killed in east jerusalem or the one that are afraid so to happen. Tell the ones that are kicked of their homes for settlers. Tell the ones that if they get married with a palestinian, their partner don't get citizenship and an american jew flying to Israel get automatic passport. Among other disparities. Is called Apartheid. I guess civil rights shouldn't be implemented in the 60's after all black people lived a good life. I am sure white racist people were saying that and trying to agree/disagree on what a good life stands for. Arab country with minority jews? Iran and turkey comes to mind. Not as much as before? yes. But there still and not killed and guess what officially have the same rights in there, not like arabs in Israel and certainly are not being killed or kicked out in the name of settling
Yeah, comes to mind? You googled that and used first source from wikipedia. You are not very familiar with the issue I guess. Otherwise you would never list Iran as Arab country. If it was just a negligence type of mistake, I apologize. Israeli society is far for perfect, it has it problems. As any society does. What is funny how you describe its shortcommings in great detail but vice versa you only generally state Jews have officially the same rights. That made me chuckle. And "not as much before" you simply say yes. How much is enough for you to be concerned about it? Jewish population in Arab countries diminished to the level of statistical error. While population of 48 Arabs in Israel increased by 1200 %. Did you ever ponder why?

ManUtd1999

There is no surprise you have zero awareness and empathy to rise of antisemitism around the world. To you it is just a phrase which is used by Zionist to brush of any criticism of Israel. And any report about it you will dismiss as propaganda.

Lets entertain idea we will not make made up premises based on absurd arguments. Nobody is arguing what you said. Nakba happened as a result of war started by Arabs, which they lost. Funny you didnt bother to provide historical examples when loosing side of war lost territory. And lets not forget ethnic cleansing of Jews from the Arab world as consequence.

Any means necessary is not a disgraceful sentence but principle implemented in real life on October 7 by people that hold power. The scope of attack was only limited by their current power. And "random people" celebrated October 7 as big victory only a few days later.

Yeah, comes to mind? You googled that and used first source from wikipedia. You are not very familiar with the issue I guess. Otherwise you would never list Iran as Arab country. If it was just a negligence type of mistake, I apologize. Israeli society is far for perfect, it has it problems. As any society does. What is funny how you describe its shortcommings in great detail but vice versa you only generally state Jews have officially the same rights. That made me chuckle. And "not as much before" you simply say yes. How much is enough for you to be concerned about it? Jewish population in Arab countries diminished to the level of statistical error. While population of 48 Arabs in Israel increased by 1200 %. Did you ever ponder why?
What’s your point? Jews mostly chose to leave these. They weren’t forced to leave 70-80 years ago. When Jews were facing the Holocaust in Europe, they were generally well treated in the Arab world, particularly in places like Morocco and other North African nations.

Once Israel was established, many Jews, from all over the world, wanted to move there. You had those who wanted to live in a Jewish majority country, and you had those who wanted to move to what they excepted to be a richer country economically. They didn’t leave Morocco because of prosecutions.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What’s your point? Jews mostly chose to leave these. They weren’t forced to leave 70-80 years ago. When Jews were facing the Holocaust in Europe, they were generally well treated in the Arab world, particularly in places like Morocco and other North African nations.

Once Israel was established, many Jews, from all over the world, wanted to move there. You had those who wanted to live in a Jewish majority country, and you had those who wanted to move to what they excepted to be a richer country economically. They didn’t leave Morocco because of prosecutions.
Out of curiosity, how does your post square with this?

Throughout 1947 and 1948, Jews in Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Libya, Morocco, Syria, and Yemen (Aden) were persecuted, their property and belongings were confiscated, and they were subjected to severe anti-Jewish riots instigated by the governments. In Iraq, Zionism was made a capital crime. In Syria, anti-Jewish pogroms erupted in Aleppo and the government froze all Jewish bank accounts. In Egypt, bombs were detonated in the Jewish quarter, killing dozens. In Algeria, anti-Jewish decrees were swiftly instituted and in Yemen, bloody pogroms led to the death of nearly 100 Jews.
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jewish-refugees-from-arab-countries?utm_content=cmp-true

ManUtd1999

I said mostly. Jews mostly chose to leave.

And let me remind you that Israel has destroyed many Arab villages around that time, and many became refugees. That’s the Nakba. You, however, write about the 2 million Arabs, who chose to stay. Do you know what those two million have endured since 1948? Did you hear about the military rule in Arab towns in Israel?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I said mostly. Jews mostly chose to leave.

And let me remind you that Israel has destroyed many Arab villages around that time, and many became refugees. That’s the Nakba. You, however, write about the 2 million Arabs, who chose to stay. Do you know what those two million have endured since 1948? Did you hear about the military rule in Arab towns in Israel?
I think you're confusing me for someone else. I've not talked about 2 million Arabs choosing to stay. You're mixing me up with somebody else.

Anyway, you also said this even though the source explicitly mentioned Morocco. Mind, I'm not well-versed in the history of Jews migrating to Israel post WW2 but it was relatively easy to find something that somewhat contradicts what you said.
They didn’t leave Morocco because of prosecutions.

ManUtd1999

I think you're confusing me for someone else. I've not talked about 2 million Arabs choosing to stay. You're mixing me up with somebody else.

Anyway, you also said this even though the source explicitly mentioned Morocco. Mind, I'm not well-versed in the history of Jews migrating to Israel post WW2 but it was relatively easy to find something that somewhat contradicts what you said.
Fair enough. Apologize for confusion about the situation of Arabs in Israel.

No one says that things were great, and we should remember that the Nazi regime had its influence in North Africa too. The creation of the State of Israel added to tensions, but the situation of the Jewish community in North Africa wasn’t that bad to cause the mass migration to Israel.

Others here are welcomed to correct me. Regardless, this is not the main topic here.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Fair enough. Apologize for confusion about the situation of Arabs in Israel.

No one says that things were great, and we should remember that the Nazi regime had its influence in North Africa too. The creation of the State of Israel added to tensions, but the situation of the Jewish community in North Africa wasn’t that bad to cause the mass migration to Israel.

Others here are welcomed to correct me.
No problem, and again, I'm not well-versed in that specific history either. Other sources may suggest something else or provide a more nuanced view with regards to Jewish migration out of Arab countries post-WW2.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

This is true, whilst there were Jews that no doubt faced an unjust backlash following the creation of Israel, most weren't kicked out like Israeli propogandists like to portray. It's nothing like the Nakba, a completely false equivalence. In fact there were even some instances where Israeli intelligence were covertly attacking Jews in Arab countries to encourage Jews to migrate.

There's a really good book titled 'three worlds memoirs of an arab-jew' on the subject..

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This came at a very good time.

You guys always play the civilised world card but this isn't the 1500 anymore, you don't get to conolize land and kick out the inhabitants just because you win a war. The civilised world has moved on from that. This guy also seems to have amensia of all the illegal West Bank settlements.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
No problem, and again, I'm not well-versed in that specific history either. Other sources may suggest something else or provide a more nuanced view with regards to Jewish migration out of Arab countries post-WW2.
I did a fairly detailed post on the flight from Iraq here, which also deals with the recent claims made by Avi Shlaim (referenced above by @2mufc0).

The key thing to keep in mind is that while the general context of the Jewish migration from the Arab states was the growth of Arab hostility towards them in the midst of the rise of Arab and other forms of state nationalism and the confrontation with Zionism over Palestine, circumstances were different in each case with the course of events contingent on local political factors. To take the five North African states, Jews in Morocco and Tunisia faced comparatively less hostile environments than those in Libya and Egypt, although particular moments of political crisis helped prompt the general departure of the Jews. Algerian Jews left along with the pieds-noirs upon the conclusion of the War of Independence there, with most going to France rather than Israel.

To say that most Jews chose to leave may be technically true - there was no real case of outright expulsion or ethnic cleansing, and the appeal of Zionism did help prompt many Jews to leave within the broad context outlined above. However in several Arab states - I would say Iraq, Syria, Egypt and Libya most clearly - conditions were made so difficult for the Jews as to preempt the need for any such action, and the goal was quite clearly to ensure their departure and seize their assets.

In North Yemen the condition of the Jews had remained unchanged in many aspects since medieval times, and right up to the mid-20th century they were subject to discriminatory dhimmi laws and persecution - it was probably the worst Arab state for Jews, in the context of being the most backward Arab state generally.

(edit): just to add, according to Yezid Sayigh, in the late 1960s Fateh asked the Arab states to allow their former Jewish citizens the right to reclaim their citizeship and property, in the hope it might spark a wave of "reverse emigration" from Israel.

Last edited: