Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

RedDevilQuebecois

Has anyone discussed that it was Putin's birthday today (yesterday in Europe and beyond to the East)? I don't think this is a coincidence with the date of the attack.

frostbite

I'm really not sure I buy this whole 'Hamas has miscalculated' viewpoint. I can't see any way that they'd have thought that a death toll in the hundreds, potentially even a thousand or more, along with taking maybe 100 hostages, would lead to anything other than the most extreme possible response from the Israelis. They are well aware how strong the response will be. On some level I think they've come to the conclusion that this was their best course of action, despite the consequences.
Hamas are already winners in their minds. This was their Champions League trophy. For them, it doesn't matter so much what happens next. There is no point looking for rational explanations when you are faced with fanatics, especially with religious fanatics like Hamas, ISIS, Taliban, etc.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-day-israel-changed-forever?ref=scroll

We don’t know yet exactly how this could have happened. The perimeter fence is equipped with a sensor and camera array. Any passing tractor getting near it puts the army on high alert. What happened to the sensors? Moreover, civilians near the border have been complaining for more than a month of large-scale Hamas drills taking place very near the fence. Did nobody else see it?
Apartheid aside, looks like Israeli intelligence, military, and their civilian leaders fecked up massively. You can almost guarantee part of the response will be overcorrecting for the massive SNAFU

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
The problem is that the mass media legitimise the actions of the israeli colonialists, brushing off any and all atrocities done by the israeli terrorists to the Gaza population. Until reporting is done fairly, which won't ever happen, the conflict will go around in circles and israeli state terrorists will act with impunity murdering women and children.
Agreed.

RedDevilQuebecois

Care to explain why?

Or are Palestinians not deserving of sympathy too?
Poor timing and, especially, poor optics. It's not a coincidence that almost no serious Western politician spoke about Palestinians today of all days.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The problem is that the mass media legitimise the actions of the israeli colonialists, brushing off any and all atrocities done by the israeli terrorists to the Gaza population. Until reporting is done fairly, which won't ever happen, the conflict will go around in circles and israeli state terrorists will act with impunity murdering women and children.
Case in point: this happened yesterday

It's been so normalized and accepted.

Withnail

Poor timing and, especially, poor optics. It's not a coincidence that almost no serious Western politician spoke about Palestinians today of all days.
That's just cowardice by politicians afraid to be seen to say the wrong thing, as far as I'm concerned. To me there shouldn't be anything wrong with expressing sympathy for any and all civilian casualties and to say so is a little odd to me.

Have you seen what he said by the way?
I looked and can't find any specific reference to Palestinian civilians.

All I can find is this on Twitter which is quite measured and doesn't seem to fit your description:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Can't help but feel this is all a little convenient for Netanyahu again. It has shades of something a Putin would do to distract from the internal criticisms of taking a country into dictatorship. A political game as old as time. Sure some corners are criticizing him for the lapse in security but I have no faith he won't turn this into his favor. Hopefully the opposition in Israel will use this to their advantage and put an end to what he's trying to do internally.

That video of the dead woman is absolutely disgusting btw.

What a shit show again.

Last edited:

Tyrion

Agreed. The Israelis will treat this as their 9/11 - Pearl Harbor and will go in with overwhelming force, which will probably end up with them being criticized for being too heavy handed.
This government likely would but I think that would make it worse. It could be there 9/11 both in terms of their reaction and the failure of it.

Can't help but feel this is all a little convenient for Netanyahu again. It has shades of something a Putin would do to distract from the internal criticisms of taking a country into dictatorship. A political game as old as time. Sure some corners are criticizing him for the lapse in security but I have no faith he won't turn this into his favor. Hopefully the opposition in Israel will use this to their advantage and put an end to what he's trying to do internally.
It is stunning how much they've been caught by surprise. I don't think he'll be able to survive it though. If a far right leader can't even keep his people safe, what good is he? "Netanyahu was busy with his legal problems and didn't pay attention to Hamas" seems like such an easy attack line for the opposition.

TheRedHearted

Let me get this straight., so 200 plus Israeli citizens should die because of the governments faults? Great stuff man, that’s so logical. It’s going to lead to peace, right? Parading the German girls dead body around, how’s that going to do anything either?

Bert_

Has anyone discussed that it was Putin's birthday today (yesterday in Europe and beyond to the East)? I don't think this is a coincidence with the date of the attack.
That explains it then. It's just the annual Hamas killing spree to celebrate Putin's birthday.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-day-israel-changed-forever?ref=scroll

Apartheid aside, looks like Israeli intelligence, military, and their civilian leaders fecked up massively. You can almost guarantee part of the response will be overcorrecting for the massive SNAFU
Saw a tweet earlier about a retired IDF general complaining that the vast majority of the army had been moved into the West Bank to protect the ever-expanding settlements and left the area around Gaza undermanned. He's a vocal Bibi critic, but, if what he says is accurate, it's entirely because of the far right government.

owlo

Agreed. The Israelis will treat this as their 9/11 - Pearl Harbor and will go in with overwhelming force, which will probably end up with them being criticized for being too heavy handed.
And they won't care. After both Pearl Harbor (internship of Japanese) and 9/11 (invasions) they took drastic action, and the majority of the population not only supported, but demanded it. In Israel this will be a signal that they have given Hamas too much freedom, and need correction. The Israeli government have already effectively fallen and we'll likely see a new one in 48 hours comprising a broad spectrum of opposition. They will commit many war crimes, and it'll be discussed for decades. But in the moment, most citizens will support it.

Saw a tweet earlier about a retired IDF general complaining that the vast majority of the army had been moved into the West Bank to protect the ever-expanding settlements and left the area around Gaza undermanned. He's a vocal Bibi critic, but, if what he says is accurate, it's entirely because of the far right government.

See above; gov is effectively dead. And he's right.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Sergej Sumlenny takes the gloves off...

She held an Israeli passport and has pictures on her Instagram supporting the IDF, where she talks about remembering those killed by 'terrorist organizations'. As completely sad and unjustified it is for her to die and be paraded disgracefully, let's not lie and paint her as some foreigner who wanted peace with the music festival to try and entice people to stop supporting Palestine's cause.

That being said, the pictures are dated to 2016 so it could well be she changed her stance. Can't disregard that.

owlo

She held an Israeli passport and has pictures on her Instagram supporting the IDF, where she talks about remembering those killed by 'terrorist organizations'. As completely sad and unjustified it is for her to die and be paraded disgracefully, let's not lie and paint her as some foreigner who wanted peace with the music festival to try and entice people to stop supporting Palestine's cause.

That being said, the pictures are dated to 2016 so it could well be she changed her stance. Can't disregard that.
Quite poignant given her cause of death, and not an unfair point of view....

I think many (most) who support the existence of the Israeli state and their right to defend themselves, also support the Palestinian right to life and peace and freedom. It's a difficult needle to thread, and even more difficult to enunciate via social media. I'm aware I focus myself on actuality, and my social media reflects that. Facts are not kind to the Palestinian cause. But my heart supports the Palestinian right to freedom, and knows how shitty it is for those people. Nobody wants to see peoples homes ruined and missile strikes in urban places. I simply don't believe they have a path to such peace with or through Israel, and that the political aims of say Hamas, do not reflect their needs. That's hard to explain without being seen as 'pro israel/israeli shill.'

owlo

Let me guess, he's completely removed from the consequences of this and won't be dealing with the aftermath?
There's strong support for this action inside Gaza too. They see the incursion and the responses as disconnected; that Israel would do it to them anyway, and it'll just be more intensive for a bit.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona

The absolute bottom of the barrel of barbarism. They themselves provoked the ruins Gaza will be turned into and the most likely new occupation, but Hamas knew this of course and they don't care. This fact alone is enough to see through their hypocracy about their fight for a free Palestina. They just want to fight, like every good barbarian in the stone age.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

The absolute bottom of the barrel of barbarism. They themselves provoked the ruins Gaza will be turned into and the new occupation, but Hamas knew this of course and they don't care. This fact alone is enough to see through their hypocracy about their fight for a free Palestina. They just want to fight, like every good barbarian in the stone age. There's nothing more to it.
And what do Israel want to do?

Giggsyking

The absolute bottom of the barrel of barbarism. They themselves provoked the ruins Gaza will be turned into and the most likely new occupation, but Hamas knew this of course and they don't care. This fact alone is enough to see through their hypocracy about their fight for a free Palestina. They just want to fight, like every good barbarian in the stone age.
So what should Israel do? Come on. Say it.

ScholesyTheWise

For the time being these type of clips will raise some sympathy, sure enough.

Once Gaza is flattened and the images from there start to emerge, Israel will have very little ground to stand on,
so far as spokesmanship goes.

Nobody will give a shit about some burned-down cars once the carnage/massacre begins.

I'm writing this as an Israeli Jew, by the way.
this entire land, or maybe Earth in general, should be wiped clean and start over.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I went through his timeline and not one tweet he could spare ( saw about 30 and gave up) for the victims of today’s barbaric attack. Says a lot about the person.
I went through your posts in this thread and not one post could you spare for Palestinian victims of past Israeli attacks. Says a lot about a poster.

If you're going to criticise someone for being biased maybe try hide your own bias a little better.