Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Spoony

The People's President
It's true unfortunately. The school said it was said to another member of the community. I would say it was said to a Jewish student or a teacher from what I understood from the statement from the school.
Yeah in that case, if it's true, then the school have done the right thing.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Islamic Jihad are firing rockets too. Are you pretending you didn't know that?
No, I'm pointing out that what an irrelevant organization does, one that in no way represents the average palestinian, is a ridiculous justification to kill civilians, including children.

The fact that you think otherwise shows your moral compass is completely broken and you just sound like a horrible human being with no compassion whatsoever.

And please don't bother posting more ridiculous videos with some hamas person or a wiki link to some bad organization, because none of that will justify the unjustifiable. It's pretty basic whataboutism and nobody in this thread is buying it, so stop selling it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I didn’t infer that tbh as it’s pure speculation.
This is at the bottom of the link you just shared:

“As reported by the Manchester Evening News, Parrs Wood High School clarified on Sunday evening in a statement issued to parents that the boy was excluded because the comment was aimed at “a member of the school community based on their ethnicity.”

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
This is at the bottom of the link you just shared:

“As reported by the Manchester Evening News, Parrs Wood High School clarified on Sunday evening in a statement issued to parents that the boy was excluded because the comment was aimed at “a member of the school community based on their ethnicity.”
Fair enough - I missed that when I was reading it

Fearless

Mighty Mouse
No, I'm pointing out that what an irrelevant organization does, one that in no way represents the average palestinian, is a ridiculous justification to kill civilians, including children.

The fact that you think otherwise shows your moral compass is completely broken and you just sound like a horrible human being with no compassion whatsoever.

And please don't bother posting more ridiculous videos with some hamas person or a wiki link to some bad organization, because none of that will justify the unjustifiable. It's pretty basic whataboutism and nobody in this thread is buying it, so stop selling it.
So why don't you show us how compassionate you are by condemning the openly antisemitic vitriol from Hamas - like I have regarding some racist Israelis?

I await.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just exclaiming ‘Free Palestine’ shouldn’t be a suspendable offense, but if it was directed at someone or part of a larger racist diatribe, then it’s warranted.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's true unfortunately. The school said it was said to another member of the community. I would say it was said to a Jewish student or a teacher from what I understood from the statement from the school.
You can't be saying things like that to a Jewish student or teacher, that's a very aggressive and exclusionary thing to do.

Sad but (assuming the info is correct and that is what he did) the right thing to do.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The Arab armies invaded months later in May 1948, long after Palestine had descended into civil war between Jews and Arabs, and just after Israel declared independence. The Jews had been under the cosh to begin with - communities isolated and under siege, communications severed. It is in part the memory of this part of the war which has produced the Israeli narrative of a nation under siege defying the odds to survive and seize victory. With access to East European arms (in defiance of the British arms embargo) they gained the upper hand and went on the offensive in April 1948. Again there is a debate - did the Arab states invade in response to the Jewish advances, or did the Jews go on the defensive in order to give themselves the advantage when the inevitable invasion came (there had been murmurings of an Arab invasion since at least March I believe)?
Interesting article about the effect of the sudden change in the Soviet stance, on the Communist Party of USA (with its large Jewish presence):

https://jewishcurrents.org/what-we-did-how-the-jewish-communist-left-failed-the-palestinian-cause/

e - posting for the historical account, not for the advocacy at the end

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
A father in Gaza writes:

"I did the strangest thing today - I exchanged my children with my brother's. I took two of his children and gave him two of mine. So in case I get bombed, one of mine will survive & if he gets bombed, one of his will live on."

Christ.

We created a low script, societal-dumbing down show of trading spouses that ran for seven years which only further intensified the overall mental deficiency in this country.

These two men traded offspring to ensure their lineage hopefully survives.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I've just remembered something from about 5-6 years ago, when our local MSP was at our workplace and students were handing out Free Palestine badges as part of Fresher's Week. He took one of the badges and stuck it on his suit. Wore it the rest of the day.

It got me thinking. Just checked and the SNP had, as recently as 2019, the following position.

The Scottish National Party (SNP) has been supportive of the Palestinian cause and has committed in its manifesto to “continue to work with international partners to progress a lasting peace settlement in the Middle East, pursuing a two-state solution for Israel and Palestine”.

The SNP says it will continue to urge the UK government to “immediately halt all military support and arms sales to regimes guilty of violations of human rights and international humanitarian law”.
You've then got the SNP group Friends of Palestine.

I'm constantly amazed at the difference in attitudes to this between the political parties across the UK. I don't know if it's because a politician just wandering in to attend a local event up here is not going to draw much media attention, so they don't have to keep up appearances as much, or if it's a genuine emboldening due to party solidarity behind a certain cause?

However there was also and SNP MSP that said the 1948 exodus was a self inflicted tragedy, so it's not all sunshine and rainbows up here.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
@esmufc07

The refugee problem is the most contentious issue in the historiography, as it frames the claim that Israel was born in ‘original sin.’ The classic Zionist narrative suggested the Arabs left mostly due to the calls of Arab leaders, and expected to return following an Arab victory. This claim began to be dismantled by Arab historians almost immediately, before being put to bed in the 80s by the Israeli ‘new historians.’

The Palestinian narrative has it that ‘population transfer’ (ethnic cleansing) was the Zionist plan all along, the war providing the long-awaited opportunity to secure a Jewish majority in Palestine. This narrative is supported by historians who point to the long history of thinking and discussion about ‘transfer’ in Zionist circles, certain operational plans executed during the war, and the argument that by 1948 there was no alternative plausible means by which a Jewish majority could be secured.

In response, a revised, more measured Zionist approach has emerged, arguing that while ‘transfer’ thinking was indeed a part of historical Zionist thinking about Palestine, its appeal was mostly contingent on circumstance (e.g. British support for the idea in the Peel Commission recommendations). They argue there was no clear pattern of expulsion of Arabs during the war - some commanders did it, others didn’t, sometimes it resulted from military/strategic necessity, sometimes it was done out of spite or revenge, etc. Finally, some imply that it was simply “us or them”, while others suggest that in the context of the first half of the twentieth century there was nothing particularly exceptional about what transpired.

700,000 refugees is at the lower end of estimates of numbers, normally I see around 750,00-800,000 cited by most historians.Many - perhaps a majority - fled without encountering a Jewish soldier. A small number of the more privileged (e.g. those who could afford to) left before things got really dirty, expecting to return soon. During the hostilities, many fled out of fear, due to rumors of massacres and other Jewish atrocities (Deir Yassin being the most infamous), or in advance of the arrival of Zionist forces. And there were some localized calls from Arab commanders to evacuate an area in anticipation of fighting. I don’t have the numbers to hand, but I think Benny Morris concludes that something around 40% of those who left did so directly due to forced expulsion by Zionist forces.

I’ve already commented on the Israeli counter-claim regarding the flight of the Mizrachi Jews from the Arab states here - it’s certainly a tragic episode, but I find its use in Israeli propaganda quite cynical, as it’s utilized in order to ‘balance’ the rights of the Palestinian refugees to justice, despite the fact that no matter what the reason for the Mizrachim’s flight was, the Palestinians were in no way responsible.

Finally, his claim that no refugees were offered citizenship by Arab states is wrong - Jordan offered citizenship to all those who came under Jordanian control in the West Bank in 1948.

*(edit): just checked and Morris describes 700,000 as a “fair estimation”

Last edited:
Reactions: esmufc07

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I'm very proud of my boys and to Pogba and Amad to accept the flag. Pogba ran from halfway line to pick this up off the boys.
I’ve been sent the video on WhatsApp. Is your son in the NY cap and puffa jacket?