Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Now I’m going to profusely apologise in advance for any generalisations or misgivings with this, but I’m trying to wrap my head around the conflict and its history.

How far from accurate is this that I’ve taken from various ‘introduction the conflict’ videos & articles:
  • Palestine was previously an independent country which had a mix of Muslim, Christian and Jewish communities with Jerusalem holding value to each
  • After WWI the British take over, Jewish community increases in size
  • WWII arrives, European Jews flee across Europe and also Palestine
  • After this the UN approves the sovereign nation of Israel with its set borders, with Jerusalem given ‘international’ status
  • In the subsequent decades Israel pushes out beyond its border, continually expanding and pushing back the Palestinians
  • Israel then sets up settlements in established Palestine territory, further displacing Palestinians
  • Conflicts arise as does Hamas, gaining power in Gaza and this continues with constant tension throughout the last 30yrs
Could people more knowledgable about this than me help to fill in any gaps or correct my understanding of this?
Read Wikipedia if you don't have a history book.

RedTiger

Half mast
Ive been a member of this message board for quite a few years, not the most active but always here the catch up on the latest.

My name is Ariel, I am former soldier in the IDF, living in Haifa and living my life. I have never entered a political debate here but sometimes you have to. I served in Gaza, I saw the incredible lenghts our army goes to prevent the loss of innocent lives. But when a murderous terror organization randomly fires up the sky in order to kill innocent people, you have to get to their weapon suply which they keep in populated areas. Israel always send liflets warning about upcoming attacks.
7 israeli citizens have died in the past 3 days because of Hamas actions, 2 of which are israeli arabs(1 a child) who also just wanted to live their lives, same as me. If you havnt lived in this impossible situation, if you havnt seen what we do to prevent the loss of innocent lives, YOU DONT GET THE RIGHT TO AN OPINION. Stop spreading lies. Good evening.
Serving in any battlefront must be hell, as is the fear of bombs and rockets randomly falling on you, on a human level the fear is very much understandable and measures put in place to avert that can't really be questioned.

The rocket attacks are obviously a response to the escalation of tit for tat events over the last week which I am lead to believe started with the police raid on the temple mount/al aqsa compound.
Would you or anyone else on the caf know why the police raided the compound during taraweeh with such heavy handed tactics? It seems like a massively stupid thing to do and I still can't understand why it happened.

Roane

Incorrect. They were expelled and chased out [from most countries], leaving the majority of their property and possessions behind. Restitution has never been made.
You should look into why the place is called sheikh jurrah and after whom. He literally saved Jews

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
What would Israel say if the roles were reversed I wonder?

Now I’m going to profusely apologise in advance for any generalisations or misgivings with this, but I’m trying to wrap my head around the conflict and its history.

How far from accurate is this that I’ve taken from various ‘introduction the conflict’ videos & articles:
  • Palestine was previously an independent country which had a mix of Muslim, Christian and Jewish communities with Jerusalem holding value to each
  • After this the UN approves the sovereign nation of Israel with its set borders, with Jerusalem given ‘international’ status
  • In the subsequent decades Israel pushes out beyond its border, continually expanding and pushing back the Palestinians
  • Israel then sets up settlements in established Palestine territory, further displacing Palestinians
  • Conflicts arise as does Hamas, gaining power in Gaza and this continues with constant tension throughout the last 30yrs
Could people more knowledgable about this than me help to fill in any gaps or correct my understanding of this?
Check out the 6 day war. This is all just still the spoils of war, supposedly.

These guys make the British in Northern Ireland look like UNICEF.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Palestine has never been an independent country. It did have a mix of Christians, Muslims and Jews (still does) who did and still all do hold Jerusalem and the holy land in general very close.

The British used duplicitous means to gather the support of both the Arabs and the Jews, by promising both the land in the first world war.

Jewish migration to the area started again in the late 1800s, though I believe most Jews fleeing Europe at this time actually went to North America. It picked up pace in the 20th century.

The UN did releaee a mandate, giving bits of the land to both the Arabs (Muslim and Christian) and Jews.

Israel pushes out against its borders, though its important to note that this wasn't exactly done in a vacuum and in the context of an openly and very hostile Arab coalition, whose rhetoric was not exactly flowery.

The settlements are an utter disgrace and always have been.

The rise of Hamas is a complex and long story that someone like 2cents can probably give far more background to.

Of course, anywhere, people are going to have their own biases in their interpretations of what happened. I'd suggest it's probably best to do a good bit of research, trying to take into account both sides, before settling on your feelings.

I have my own views and biases obviously, as does everyone else.

RedTiger

Half mast
The conflict has no entered the 'indifference' phase, where Palestinians will get killed and no one will be able to do anything about it and nothing will change. Just like 2009, 2012, and 2014.

Though I think Hamas jumped the gun with their rocket launches. I understand why they did it, with the holy mosque being attacked, but a smart leader for them would've just let the protests play out. As it stands it's now drawn attention away from the Sheikh Jarah evictions which resonates with people (forced loss of home / property), to a rocket war where there's less sympathy and to which Palestinains end up always loosing out from.
Sometimes I feel that Hamas might not have come into existence organically.

Gehrman

Err I don't have a link. It's just something I read about ages ago tbh.

He was salahuddins physician. Jurrah means healer. His name was hassam Al din
I know, but I didnt find anything about saving the jews or stuff like that.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I know, but I didnt find anything about saving the jews or stuff like that.
Unaware of Hussam al Din Jarrah but his wiki says he liberated Jerusalem from the crusades. Many Jews were slaughtered in the crusades as they were not christian so it might be related to that.

Roane

Ive been a member of this message board for quite a few years, not the most active but always here the catch up on the latest.

My name is Ariel, I am former soldier in the IDF, living in Haifa and living my life. I have never entered a political debate here but sometimes you have to. I served in Gaza, I saw the incredible lenghts our army goes to prevent the loss of innocent lives. But when a murderous terror organization randomly fires up the sky in order to kill innocent people, you have to get to their weapon suply which they keep in populated areas. Israel always send liflets warning about upcoming attacks.
7 israeli citizens have died in the past 3 days because of Hamas actions, 2 of which are israeli arabs(1 a child) who also just wanted to live their lives, same as me. If you havnt lived in this impossible situation, if you havnt seen what we do to prevent the loss of innocent lives, YOU DONT GET THE RIGHT TO AN OPINION. Stop spreading lies. Good evening.

Why is it that likes of amnesty internationals and other organisations have consistently said that the whole human shield thing is over played by he IDF and Israel and in fact it's the IDF and Israel that use children as human shields.

Also isn't Hamas the very organisation that once was supported by Israel? And was generally peaceful. Only resorting to violence after that Jewish bloke killed some Palestinians in a terrorist attack. Israel instead of punishing the guy built him up as a hero.

Gehrman

I'd have to Google it for some link, as it's something I read a while ago.
Anyway as great as this person might be, whoever he was or might have done, I don't really see it very relevant to the mass exodus of jews from the Middle East and North Africa after the 1948 for the very reason that many of them faced persecution, expulsion and oppression. This it not anyway to create a european/christian dichotomy compared to the muslim/middle east, since after all the greatest crime against jews in human history came from Nazi Germany and those complicit, but that there is a very clear reason why so many jews fled the middle east after the creation of modern Israel and why there are so few jews left today in the middle east and north africa.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
that Jewish bloke killed some Palestinians in a terrorist attack. Israel instead of punishing the guy built him up as a hero
Sorry, who are you referring to, Baruch Goldstein?

Foxbatt

fecking hell. Par for the course for that asshole but still... just fanning the flames and getting US evangelicals worked up. I guarantee there will be “supporting the State of Israel” sermons preached this Sunday across the US.
Yes but their support is not for Israel and the Jews though. They want Armageddon there so Jesus can come and claim the throne and destroy everyone else including The Jews.

shamans

Anyway as great as this person might be, whoever he was or might have done, I don't really see it very relevant to the mass exodus of jews from the Middle East and North Africa after the 1948 for the very reason that many of them faced persecution, expulsion and oppression. This it not anyway to create a european/christian dichotomy compared to the muslim/middle east, since after all the greatest crime against jews in human history came from Nazi Germany and those complicit, but that there is a very clear reason why so many jews fled the middle east after the creation of modern Israel and why there are so few jews left today in the middle east and north africa.
Because of the creation of Israel. That doesn't mean every Jewish community was persecuted and if you think that you don't know your history. In fact, it was in Europe even before the holocaust that there was a lot of anti jewish sentiment and mistreatment. Middle east had thriving Jewish communities just like coptic christians today in Egypt. Obviously, they will leave for a better land where they are a majority.

In either case, this whole historical discussion is not relevant at all. Fact is what is happening now in the current age with an average of 100 children being killed by IDF per year.

Foxbatt

Most Palestinians will say that PLO is now part of the establishment and they collaborate with the Israelis. Hamas initially was elected in an open and fair election and the west and the PLO rejected them and that's why it has changed it to what it is. As other members have said they are not the best in the PR businesses. But the desperation and lost hope of any life means people take desperate measures. We talk about China and genocide but this is the same and everyone can see it with their own eyes as to what is happening and yet not any one country in the west censures Israel about this.

Gehrman

Because of the creation of Israel. That doesn't mean every Jewish community was persecuted and if you think that you don't know your history. In fact, it was in Europe even before the holocaust that there was a lot of anti jewish sentiment and mistreatment. Middle east had thriving Jewish communities just like coptic christians today in Egypt. Obviously, they will leave for a better land where they are a majority.

In either case, this whole historical discussion is not relevant at all. Fact is what is happening now in the current age with an average of 100 children being killed by IDF per year.
I'm sorry, but even countries not involved in the 6-day war had a mass exodus of jews because of persecution, oppression or mistreatment and they didn't all flee to Israel.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Most Palestinians will say that PLO is now part of the establishment and they collaborate with the Israelis. Hamas initially was elected in an open and fair election and the west and the PLO rejected them and that's why it has changed it to what it is. As other members have said they are not the best in the PR businesses. But the desperation and lost hope of any life means people take desperate measures. We talk about China and genocide but this is the same and everyone can see it with their own eyes as to what is happening and yet not any one country in the west censures Israel about this.
Do hamas accept Israels right to exist?... I know the plo do now but have hamas?

Carolina Red

Staff
Yes but their support is not for Israel and the Jews though. They want Armageddon there so Jesus can come and claim the throne and destroy everyone else including The Jews.
You’re correct about wanting Armageddon... but they still support the State of Israel.

Source: I live among them and was raised in an evangelical church

Roane

I'm sorry, but even countries not involved in the 6-day war had a mass exodus of jews because of persecution, oppression or mistreatment and they didn't all flee to Israel.
The Jewish exodus may have had a lot to do with numbers needed to satisfy demands for a Jewish state.

The one million plan and Ben gurion etc. Also if I recall initially it was just the European Jews in the plan with the Arab Jews bought in last minute to boost numbers

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Dwaz, forget the sarcasm for now, I'm being serious. I don't know why the Israeli police would do that and some genuine answers would really help me understand the current line of events better.
Ignore the second part. The first is what I'd read on a couple of sites as the justification. Planning attacks and coordinating some of the uprising related to the latest "settlement" activity.

shamans

And you're not even referencing the specific history that we were discussing.
I moved on to a separate topic. You can look it up online. As I said before, the historical treatment of jewish communities in middle east is not relevant to the child killing going on right now.

Gehrman

I moved on to a separate topic. You can look it up online. As I said before, the historical treatment of jewish communities in middle east is not relevant to the child killing going on right now.
I didn't make an equvialence.

vidic blood & sand

You’re correct about wanting Armageddon... but they still support the State of Israel.

Source: I live among them and was raised in an evangelical church
Christians as a whole do not want armageddon. Where do you get that from?
The idea is that when the signs of the great tribulation are occurring, christians are supposed to understand that Christ's appearing is close. That is what christians desire.

IhabX7

Jewish extremists are lynching us in the streets all over the country. And they are backed by the police. Unbelievable scenes. They are roaming the streets calling death to Arabs and beating up people and destroying Arab owned property. This is the most horrific thing I’ve seen with my own eyes. I almost got killed last night by an armed mob of settlers who came to Haifa where a few hundred of us Arabs protesting peacefully (I documented everything). Then the forces broke up the protest and allowed Jewish settlers, armed Jewish citizens, to attack us. We barely escaped to my office which is located on the same street. Police forces are facilitating Jewish citizens lynch Arab citizens. I’m in total disbelief.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Christians as a whole do not want armageddon. Where do you get that from?
The idea is that when the signs of the great tribulation are occurring, christians are supposed to understand that Christ's appearing is close. That is what christians desire.
So the great tribulation doesn't signal the end of the world and armageddon?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Jewish extremists are lynching us in the streets all over the country. And they are backed by the police. Unbelievable scenes. They are roaming the streets calling death to Arabs and beating up people and destroying Arab owned property. This is the most horrific thing I’ve seen with my own eyes. I almost got killed last night by an armed mob of settlers who came to Haifa where a few hundred of us Arabs protesting peacefully (I documented everything). Then the forces broke up the protest and allowed Jewish settlers, armed Jewish citizens, to attack us. We barely escaped to my office which is located on the same street. Police forces are facilitating Jewish citizens lynch Arab citizens. I’m in total disbelief.
Stay safe, mate.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
That's horrible. Stay safe man.