It’s not EtH’s tactics…..the players are fecking lazy

George Bright

Okay. We've had like 5 coaches now, and all the Players and new signings are lazy?

Tarrou

so were they lazy last season when they finished 3rd and won a trophy? or is just at the start of this season?

Noir

Trailing 2nd place by 9 points. For a United team yeah that's pretty lazy.

Frank White

I swear I've seen this video been posted about 10 times now... And yes the whole team looks crooked. No idea what's caused it poor preseason? age of some? maybe last year schedule catching up? but the injury build up and general lack of pressing is a concern.

Lee565

So why does he keep picking said supposedly lazy players, eth has had his wish in selling and buying players so surely he would have moved them on or at the very least made back up options?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
This forum really needs the few wins in a row that will come shortly.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The old players and his new signings all lazy? Most starting elevens have a majority of new signings now don’t they? I wonder what could cause this laziness

FriedClams

I do not believe our players had a good pre-season. Fitness is way off. The issue is the bad start means we need to spend more time working on tactics in training than getting the players up to speed. Should go coach Carter tactics.

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
Dejavu, must be every 2nd year during all of our “permanent” managers stints these threads pop up since Fergie resigned. Not denying some truth in this but it’s getting tiresome. What is wrong with our club.

R'hllor

Lets say thats the case, who puts those lazy fecks on the pitch week in week out, bunch of U12 can be schooled in football too by opponents, rather watch that, then bunch of overpaid leeching cnuts.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
People forget that players are human and morale impacts a lot. Such was the mood around the club that it was very fragile mentally. It's been fragile for years, but it takes time to build up. We've had tons of injuries, unlucky moments and decisions, shit run of games to compound this period, and you are left with players dropping their heads. Some things are inexcusable, but it's also understandable in some instances.

I don't think we're particularly lazy. Eriksen isn't lazy for example, he's just not capable of tracking runs well or being a physical player. He's a 0 defensively not because of laziness but because defending, mental awareness, marking etc is a skill. He doesn't have it. Casemiro isn't lazy, he's just bit older and can't cover for a complete 0 off the ball like he used to. Rashford... yeah he's lazy defensively. You'll see him work harder tracking back in big games when it's tight, but most of the time he's lazy. At the same time though, he is in our main out ball so you can plan on a way to keep them useful and be that out ball. Bruno isn't lazy, he just lacks composure.

When morale drops, when you're on a bad run and you get moments like the onana mistake or the pen right after we get back in the game away to Bayern, yeah its normal for players to feel like the game is done and just to see it out with it not being more goals conceded.

Born2Lose

Some of these players clearly shouldn't be playing for United. They don't have the right mentality, and find the demands of playing for United a burden rather than relishing the challenge. Sancho's a talented kid, but it's clear he's given up rather than showing determination to improve.

Ten Hag also seems to get a free pass about a bad trait he seems to have in overplaying first teamers. This is partly due, of course, to our comparatively small squad. However, considering the progress we were making in the EL and League Cup last year, also going all in on the FA Cup to me seemed a mistake.

I make it that Bruno, for example, made 59 appearances last season.

Liverpool had a similarly sluggish season last year after progressing in all the cups the year before. Last season a notable drop in performance was attributed to TAA, however it seems he only made 47 appearances the season before and was rested in the FA Cup and League cups.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The line up against Brighton just isn't very good.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don’t think it is laziness. I think it is a confidence and belief issue.
That too. But you don't need confidence to work hard. You need a disciplined mentality. Which we don't have, or not enough of it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's the tactics because when players are subtituted the substitutes tend to operate similarly.

Plastic Evra

Okay. We've had like 5 coaches now, and all the Players and new signings are lazy?
I'm always dumbfounded by this, I have a hard time buying it's true across several rosters and coaches as a one size fits all explanation. Other clubs where players are also payed lavishly and similarly starified don't have that problem, at least not supposedly as endemic as ours ?

JPRouve

Scout
I'm always dumbfounded by this, I have a hard time buying it's true across several rosters and coaches as a one size fits all explanation. Other clubs where players are also payed lavishly and similarly starified don't have that problem, at least not supposedly as endemic as ours ?
It's an easy claim for some but it makes no sense. ETH picked a system this summer that doesn't work, it didn't work during preseason and doesn't work now because it doesn't suit the players at his disposal.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Please stop posting this video everywhere. Bruno's face on it is annoying to look at.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We were fine last season, and most clubs do sack their manager quite often, and go through a spell of their players all looking like they've retired before hand. So I don't think its a uniquely United problem.

I also don't think its laziness. Players will work hard to execute a tactic or game plan as long as they believe in it and it actually works. This season some of the tactics have been downright bizarre and have not worked even when the players have been trying....and I think the belief has dripped away as games have gone on rather than the players just not trying to start with. So a few decent results and a return to the tactics not being insane could make it all look better quite quickly.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It is the tactics. ETH was bought in to do exactly what de zerbi is doing at Brighton and Pochettino at Chelsea (number 1 possession based team in the league). Gives us a team that is possession based and dominates the game. Instead he reverted to a hybrid approach of counter attacking football with some possession sprinkled on top of that. But once, again, I wouldn't judge him much right now till we have less players on the injury list. A few players that are injured would help change the entire dynamic of our team. I want to see a midfield that includes manioo/Amarbat, Fernandes and casimiro, with mount playing that inverted right attack role with Dalot playing as the maurading right back.

El Jefe

It's the tactics because when players are subtituted the substitutes tend to operate similarly.
It’s quite clearly the tactics.

EtH is clearly doing something wrong. We ended the season pretty upbeat and hopeful for the new season. He had a full second preseason to implement his ideas and we’ve come out as bad as we did in Ole’s last season. There’s no Ronaldo to blame now either.

How can we start the season so poorly, already using typical end of the year excuses. Where EtH has fecked up is up for debate, whether it’s preseason preparations, player recruitment or failing to motivate the squad, I really don’t know.

It’s easy to blame the players but we look so poor tactically and I’m not accepting laziness as a reason.

JPRouve

Scout
It’s quite clearly the tactics.

EtH is clearly doing something wrong. We ended the season pretty upbeat and hopeful for the new season. He had a full second preseason to implement his ideas and we’ve come out as bad as we did in Ole’s last season. There’s no Ronaldo to blame now either.

How can we start the season so poorly, already using typical end of the year excuses. Where EtH has fecked up is up for debate, whether it’s preseason preparations, player recruitment or failing to motivate the squad, I really don’t know.

It’s easy to blame the players but we look so poor tactically and I’m not accepting laziness as a reason.
Also it's something that we have seen many times with SAF, the difference being that we were able to survive poor first months in terms of performances through higher talent especially in the attacking department. Then with tactical tweaks and probably better fitness the team would become nearly unbeatable during the second part of the season.

The question is whether ETH is humble enough to change things up. One thing that people have overlooked in the past 10 years is that SAF had the habits of adapting to circumstances either by exploiting a weakness in the opposition, focusing on his own team current strength or simply giving a chance to players in a way that sometimes seemed random.

FriedClams

It is the tactics. ETH was bought in to do exactly what de zerbi is doing at Brighton and Pochettino at Chelsea (number 1 possession based team in the league). Gives us a team that is possession based and dominates the game. Instead he reverted to a hybrid approach of counter attacking football with some possession sprinkled on top of that. But once, again, I wouldn't judge him much right now till we have less players on the injury list. A few players that are injured would help change the entire dynamic of our team. I want to see a midfield that includes manioo/Amarbat, Fernandes and casimiro, with mount playing that inverted right attack role with Dalot playing as the maurading right back.
He can't be our starting full back if we are to get better. AWB offers way more, but it's a position we need someone better in ASAP. Missing out on trippier was a big blow for us in retrospect.

Abusian

It's baffling and sad in equal measure that so many fans are so quick to assume that players are operating in bad faith, particularly when none of us know these guys and have no access to what is or isn't being worked on or discussed in the dressing room.

Anyone can see that things aren't good: we don't have a deep squad. There are some legacy personnel issues, which sadly, take a few windows to sort. The ownership issue. The injuries. The dreadful (but profitable) pre-season....there are many challenges facing our club at this moment. That has shown in the results. Confidence is very low. Fortunately, some injured players are returning and the next few games look like a chance to play ourselves into some form. If we can get some confidence going, this group of players are capable of playing very nice football. So my sense is that we should be supporting our fantastic club, players and management, not piling on with uninformed and unproductive personal attacks.

Glory Glory Man United.

Pogba's Barber

Supports
Droylsden FC
You don't need everyone to be lazy. If some are lazy the whole thing fails. And yes we have several lazy players.
Exactly. As said by ten Hag himself in today's press conference...

"We attack with 11, we defend with 11. When one or two are not doing the job, it's like a pack of cards and then it is not only one or two players."

His whole system on depends every player reliably working their ass off with zero compromise on energy and intensity. He emphasises these values in almost every interview. From the players he's signed, he clearly regards these qualities as much, if not more, than individual skill.

Too many weak links in the squad that has been available so far this season. Just wish there was a plan B sometimes, for when the workrate isn't there

Reactions: Cheimoon

saivet

Let's look at the team that started against Bayern

Onana - ETH signing

Dalot - new contract under ETH
Lindelof -
Martinez - ETH signing
Reguilon - ETH signing

Casemiro - ETH signing
Eriksen - ETH signing
Bruno - made captain by ETH

Rashford - new contract under ETH
Hoijlund - ETH new signing
Pellestri -

Only Pellestri and Lindelof don't have any real link to the manager through signings or contracts. Lindelof is far from a guaranteed starter so an opportunity to prove himself and Pellestri is a young player with an opportunity to show what he has to offer.

If this group are lazy (I don't agree) ETH can't blame it on the players and it's mostly players he's signed or given new contracts too.