Television It's A Sin

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Any of you guys watch it?

I just binge watched the entire series with my wife and we were both blubbering wrecks by the end of it. Really fantastic show and incredibly moving. Hope to goodness things have moved on for gay people and feck me AIDS was/is terrifying. It made me feel incredibly sad that people went through that. Highly recommended.

K Stand Knut

I’ve just finished it too.

thought it was amazing. Although due to having a heart of stone when it comes to TV programmes, I managed to avoid being a blubbering wreck.

Excellent work all round though.

Id like to think we’ve moved on but you can put homophobia in the same basket as racism. It’s still out there. Massively! And disgustingly

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Its excellent, I've just got the last episode to watch. Both funny and heartbreaking with great music. I grew up as a teenager in the 80's and gotta say they've got this spot on, nearly everybody was homophobic back then and AIDS made it worse, gay people were treated like social pariahs. We have definitely moved on in this regard thankfully but there are still some bigoted dinosaurs around. Its a must watch.

Acole9

Outstanding
I've got one more episode to watch. Some of the attitudes towards gay men back in the 80's is shocking. For example the scene where he was having to answer those questions as part of what was presumably his mortgage application. If that happened now it would most likely be enough to get them shut down.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
We just finished the series this evening. It's a very gripping watch, and it's very heavy.
My wife and I were speechless by the end. The stigma around HIV/AIDS is illustrated very well, it's heart breaking. :(

Spoiler:
I thought it was poignant that the first person to die on screen from HIV/AIDS was NPH, considering he's gay himself.

fergosaurus

I've seen the first four eps and it's been really good.
Was gutted when Colin passed away, he was such an innocent and kind natured guy.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I've seen the first four eps and it's been really good.
Was gutted when Colin passed away, he was such an innocent and kind natured guy.
I suspected it was coming as it would add to the dramatic effect, but I was gutted how it happened. Caught me totally off guard. It kept me up for a while that night.

fergosaurus

I suspected it was coming as it would add to the dramatic effect, but I was gutted how it happened. Caught me totally off guard. It kept me up for a while that night.
The was he was sacked was disgraceful too. His boss was a total count.

Minkaro

I binged the whole thing on All4.

Excellent stuff, the praise for RTD and his ability to make you care for characters, and understand what they're about in such a short space of time is spot on - it was exactly the same with Years and Years. I've also been flicking through the IMDB histories of the main cast, and I was surprised to see that a lot of that core group have only been in a handful of things, they're all very good. Particularly Lydia West.

That final episode. My stomach plummeted when Valery announces that Richie has died. That was a true rug pull moment.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
The actor who plays Roscoe was in my year at secondary school

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Started this last night. What a brilliant premise and very enjoyable show so far. The soundtrack is splendid - as you’d expect from an ‘80s period piece - nevertheless, it complements the storyline excellently and captures the era beautifully.

Very impressed overall and looking forward to seeing how it progresses over the following episodes.

Relfy

It was a great piece of television, one of the best things I've watched in a very long time. It was astonishing how scary the whole start of HIV/Aids must have been for everyone. Such a lack of information and understanding. It must have been terrifying.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Wow. What a masterpiece this show is. Finished the fifth and final episode last night and I still can’t get the characters out of my head. I can see this being the case for the next few days, too.

The writing. The characters. The acting performances. The poignancy. The humour. The soundtrack. The score. The sets. The attention to detail. All absolutely perfect.

A true triumph that I don’t see being surpassed on our television screens throughout 2021.

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Wow. What an masterpiece this show is. Finished the fifth and final episode last night and I still can’t get the characters out of my head. I can see this being the case for the next few days, too.

The acting performances. The characters. The poignancy. The humour. The soundtrack. The score. All absolutely perfect.

A true triumph that I don’t see being surpassed on our television screens throughout 2021.
I agree, it is an amazing show. It's stuck with me for weeks afterwards. I've rarely been moved more by something on TV.

GBBQ

Just finished it tonight. What a perfect portrayal of such a tragic point in time. The casting was spot on. I don’t think any tv drama has had the same emotional impact on me.

Kinky Melinky

Need to take a look at this. I know I'll cry. I always do. The missus is always taking the piss out of me for it (in a nice way). The treatment of gay people particularly in the 80's was absolutely appalling. Thankfully things appear to be getting better, however many countries and religious groups are still living in the stone age.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Need to take a look at this. I know I'll cry. I always do. The missus is always taking the piss out of me for it (in a nice way). The treatment of gay people particularly in the 80's was absolutely appalling. Thankfully things appear to be getting better, however many countries and religious groups are still living in the stone age.
You will cry - I cried like a fecking baby. The sort of crying you just can't hide with a manly cough or a quick brushing of the hand near the cheek. I was broken and my wife wasnt much better.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just finished this, it was fantastic and devastating at the same time.

Wonderfully acted with great characters and it’s absolutely shameful how HIV/AIDS was buried and the disregard/demonisation of people suffering.

My gf is crying and I’m just about keeping it together. So sad.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
A very good series that I just randomly picked up because I like the song and Neil Patrick Harris :lol:

It's a very tough watch though. I'm surprised it has managed to slip under the radar this much. It's very high quality with some big name actors, but it only has 35k ratings on IMDb.