Television It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Pickle85

This season was a mixed bag for me. Not as strong as the one before. Some great moments though.

AaronRedDevil

Just watching Always Sunny in Philadelphia for the first time. Holy crap it's funny. Charlie Day is hilarious. Just on the 2nd season now and finished the episode where Charlie and DeAndre are hopped up on roid rage and get arrested for beating some poor guy and Danny Devito knocks out the boxing father and pushes the daughter making her neck land on the stool. Reference from Million Dollar Baby :lol:.

Oldyella

Just watching Always Sunny in Philadelphia for the first time. Holy crap it's funny. Charlie Day is hilarious. Just on the 2nd season now and finished the episode where Charlie and DeAndre are hopped up on roid rage and get arrested for beating some poor guy and Danny Devito knocks out the boxing father and pushes the daughter making her neck land on the stool. Reference from Million Dollar Baby :lol:.
You have got plenty to look forward too!

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
One of the best episodes there in the early days

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Maybe the best show on television. Enjoy!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The roid rage episode is great, but it gets so much better after season 2. If there's a show I wish I could I could wipe from my memory Men In Black-style and watch again fresh, it'd be this.

Assuming you're watching on Netflix or Hulu, there's 5 episodes missing. They got pulled for use of blackface (which kind of misses the context in that they're using it to make a point of how unacceptable it is and how horrible these people are) and it looks like they're never coming back. You can probably find them easily enough on one of those disgusting piracy websites.

https://screenrant.com/its-always-sunny-blackface-episodes-missing-hulu-netflix
The installments in question are season 4’s “America’s Next Top Paddy’s Billboard Model Contest,” season 6’s “Dee Reynolds: Shaping America’s Youth,” season 8’s “The Gang Recycles Their Trash,” season 9's“The Gang Makes Lethal Weapon 6,” and season 14’s “Dee Day."
They're all good episodes and worth watching when you reach those points, but the Shaping America's Youth and the Lethal Weapon 6 episodes are especially good.

OleGunnar20

The roid rage episode is great, but it gets so much better after season 2. If there's a show I wish I could I could wipe from my memory Men In Black-style and watch again fresh, it'd be this.

Assuming you're watching on Netflix or Hulu, there's 5 episodes missing. They got pulled for use of blackface (which kind of misses the context in that they're using it to make a point of how unacceptable it is and how horrible these people are) and it looks like they're never coming back. You can probably find them easily enough on one of those disgusting piracy websites.

They're all good episodes and worth watching when you reach those points, but the Shaping America's Youth and the Lethal Weapon 6 episodes are especially good.
No way they pulled these ?! The Lethal Weapon episode is easily one of the funniest. What a shame.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

I'm glad they didn't pull the episode with the health inspection, where De Vito blackfaces. That was more for him hiding in the basement than the others trying to portray Danny Glover.

Also would put that episode down as my all time favourite

AaronRedDevil

Wow really? I'm watching it on Netflix.Stupid cancel culture.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I have this on in the background most days and I just watched series 8 and the one thing I realised is that there are just back to back banger episodes in every season, where three, four episodes in a row are amazing.

Episode 8, Charlie Rules the World which is hilarious, straight into Episode 09 the Gang dines out which is incredible and I now pay tribute (badly) to my mates when we are out and then onto Episode 10, Reynolds vs. Reynolds: The Cereal Defence, another utterly brilliant episode.

The show is incredible and the standard (while it naturally varies), I'd say the average across 15 seasons - 15! - is incredible.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Wow really? I'm watching it on Netflix.Stupid cancel culture.
Yeah, it was a bit of a kneejerk response which totally overlooks context. I'm sure I read it was a temporary removal at the time, but it's been over 2 years now, so they're probably gone.

Shaping America's Youth and Lethal Weapon 6 are fairly important episodes too, as they're referenced quite a bit later. There's an episode in the most recent season which won't really make much sense if you've not seen those two.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The platform I use would never remove blackface episodes. In fact it actively encourages them.

Pickle85

Ah so jealous you get to watch it for the first time! For me its the funniest show on television. Enjoy it!

decorativeed

Not watched beyond season 11 up till now. I'm struggling a bit through this 'The Gang Turns Black' episode, but the Scott Bakula song has made it worthwhile.

AaronRedDevil

Just started Season 8 and I’m loving. So glad I gave this show a 2nd chance. I was laughing with tears at this scene:lol:. Charlie is something else.

decorativeed

Only just watched beyond season 11 for the first time. 12 and 13 I've just finished, and beyond a few inventive moments here and there, it really declined.

kps88

Only just watched beyond season 11 for the first time. 12 and 13 I've just finished, and beyond a few inventive moments here and there, it really declined.
Yeah that's to be expected. Impossible for something to go on for so long and maintain the same level throughout. The fact that a show running for 17 years is still watchable is a miracle really.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
A common theme in the podcasts is that they've done everything, so I guess it's not surprising that they've had to try some outlandish stuff to keep it going, which hasn't always been a hit. That said, I really liked the Ireland episodes, despite them not really being in Ireland.

S13 and 14 are my least favourite, but S15 was a bit of an improvement, though mostly because of those final 4 episodes.

Last edited:

mitChley

A common theme in the podcasts is that they've done everything, so I guess it's not surprising that they've had to try some outlandish stuff to keep it going, which hasn't always been a hit. That said, I really liked the Ireland episodes, despite them not really being in Ireland.

S13 and 14 are my least favourite, but S15 was a bit of an improvement, though mostly because of those final 4 episodes.
Some of it was in Ireland, not a huge amount though.

AaronRedDevil

Yeah I’m on season 12 right now. I’ll miss it. They are such bastards every one of them :lol:. Dee is getting more savage. Just finished the episode where the ass plunder 4000 was invented…Christ

decorativeed

I'm sure on the podcast they said they were really in Ireland? Not sure as I've not got to the last two seasons yet.

I've not got a problem at all with the more surreal direction of some episodes, it was the ones where they got a bit too explicit in showing that the writers are actually liberal, progressive types that left me cold. Anyone with a brain can tell that they are satirising the less-progressive culture of America, but in previous seasons it was much more subtle. Some of these remind me of the old He-Man episodes where the characters break the fourth wall to tell you the moral of the story.

Seinfeld went pretty surreal and less grounded in the last couple of seasons once Larry David left, and I think you can definitely tell that there was a change, but there were still more than watchable for the most part. And while Seinfeld ran for only 9 seasons, they made 180 episodes. Always Sunny had made 124 by the time season 12 started. There are definitely a lot of these later ones I would skip on a rewatch. It's really missed Glenn Howerton in season 13.

Pickle85

Podcast is funny in bits for me but sometimes it's better not to see behind the curtain. A few stray thoughts:

- Rob and Megan are having an affair (this is not backed up by anything other than a personal, very wild bunch)
- Charlie Day is a little full of himself
- Glenn and Rob snipe at each other quite a bit

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Some of it was in Ireland, not a huge amount though.
Yeah, I read it was just background footage, but none of the cast ever actually went over, though they had originally planned to.

Shame they couldn't put it off and do it properly, as some of the green screen stuff is pretty ropey (though still good episodes). But I guess folks would have raged if they only released a 4 episode season.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm sure on the podcast they said they were really in Ireland? Not sure as I've not got to the last two seasons yet.

I've not got a problem at all with the more surreal direction of some episodes, it was the ones where they got a bit too explicit in showing that the writers are actually liberal, progressive types that left me cold. Anyone with a brain can tell that they are satirising the less-progressive culture of America, but in previous seasons it was much more subtle. Some of these remind me of the old He-Man episodes where the characters break the fourth wall to tell you the moral of the story.

Seinfeld went pretty surreal and less grounded in the last couple of seasons once Larry David left, and I think you can definitely tell that there was a change, but there were still more than watchable for the most part. And while Seinfeld ran for only 9 seasons, they made 180 episodes. Always Sunny had made 124 by the time season 12 started. There are definitely a lot of these later ones I would skip on a rewatch. It's really missed Glenn Howerton in season 13.
Agreed, the season where Glenn's only in half is among my least favourites, and I sort of wish they hadn't done it and just taken more time off (though I do like the Superbowl episodes). The decline does seem to coincide with each of them getting busier too, which might be a factor. I still haven't caught AP Bio or Mythic Quest yet, though the clips I've seen look good.

I can't remember them mentioning being in Ireland in the podcasts, unless it's one I've not listened to yet, but I read excerpts from an interview with DeVito shortly after the season ended and he said they just got some outdoor background footage in Ireland, but everything else was filmed in the US, and that the foggy hills which look remarkably like Ireland was actually Bodega Bay in Northern California

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Podcast is funny in bits for me but sometimes it's better not to see behind the curtain. A few stray thoughts:

- Rob and Megan are having an affair (this is not backed up by anything other than a personal, very wild bunch)
- Charlie Day is a little full of himself
- Glenn and Rob snipe at each other quite a bit
You are very weird.

decorativeed

Agreed, the season where Glenn's only in half is among my least favourites, and I sort of wish they hadn't done it and just taken more time off (though I do like the Superbowl episodes). The decline does seem to coincide with each of them getting busier too, which might be a factor. I still haven't caught AP Bio or Mythic Quest yet, though the clips I've seen look good.

I can't remember them mentioning being in Ireland in the podcasts, unless it's one I've not listened to yet, but I read excerpts from an interview with DeVito shortly after the season ended and he said they just got some outdoor background footage in Ireland, but everything else was filmed in the US, and that the foggy hills which look remarkably like Ireland was actually Bodega Bay in Northern California
They were talking about how some of the public came up to them when clearly in the middle of filming location scenes and started talking to them about the show etc. They mentioned that it happened in Philadelphia and while they were in Ireland. Don't remember which episode of the podcast it was though.

AaronRedDevil

Well. I finished the show. Took a 5 or 6 episides tonstart to like but after that. Absolutely brilliant. Loved that they ended it in Ireland. The later seasons weren't as funny but the charm was still there. Just a bunch of friends and dee(the bitch) doing stupid shit together. Don't think you could make a better cast for this lot. They were perfect in their roles.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Really loving the podcast, and I'm not particularly a fan of the podcast-about-a-tv-show genre. Got bored of The Office and Sopranos ones, but this one is pretty great. I've been bingeing them whilst at work, but now I've only got a couple left until I'm caught up, so won't be able to do that anymore.

I hope they get Danny on it soon.

decorativeed

Really loving the podcast, and I'm not particularly a fan of the podcast-about-a-tv-show genre. Got bored of The Office and Sopranos ones, but this one is pretty great. I've been bingeing them whilst at work, but now I've only got a couple left until I'm caught up, so won't be able to do that anymore.

I hope they get Danny on it soon.
I listen to the Office Ladies with my wife, but my god, they go into far, far too much detail about the minutiae of the show.

The Always Sunny one, I could handle a touch more talk about the episode in hand, but I'm tuning in for the random chat about everything else that takes up 80% of the show. It has become something to look forward to on a Monday morning - I was really disappointed by the no-show of this week's expected episode.

Charlie Foley

Anyone else go to the live show of the podcasts the last 2 nights in Philly?

Went tonight. Was pretty fun. A lot of people in costume. Some funny call in cameos.

Charlie Day was the star.

decorativeed

This week's podcast is a good one - it's The Nightman Cometh episode, with some special guests. One of the best episodes yet, I think.