Television It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Pickle85

Really surprised by how many think it's gone downhill significantly in recent seasons. I thought last season was one of the best - the global warming episode, the zoo episode, the Samuel Beckett/laser tag episode and the black and white 40s move homage were all right up there for me. The only ones I didn't think really landed were the abortion/hair one and the Meet Cute one. Season 13 was a weak one, granted...bar the season finale and the toilet sign one I thought they were pretty weak for IAS. Still very watchable though.

I think they've set the bar really high and so are likely to have a dud season here or there. Still not seen this one so am interested to check it out when it comes to UK Netflix

nimic

something nice
Scout
I really want to like the episodes but I dunno.

The bar is too bright for a start, I hate how bright it is, darken it down it’s meant to be a dive.

The monkey episode was the string of the 2 and the general banter and conversation was okay, their banter and how they make decisions etc is basically the entire show to me, and it isn’t landing like it used to.
I turned the monkey episode off half way through. I'm still watching the season, but it's definitely not near the best of the seasons so far.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I turned the monkey episode off half way through. I'm still watching the season, but it's definitely not near the best of the seasons so far.
I found myself checking my phone during it. And I’ve never done that for this show.

mu4c_20le

Really surprised by how many think it's gone downhill significantly in recent seasons. I thought last season was one of the best - the global warming episode, the zoo episode, the Samuel Beckett/laser tag episode and the black and white 40s move homage were all right up there for me. The only ones I didn't think really landed were the abortion/hair one and the Meet Cute one. Season 13 was a weak one, granted...bar the season finale and the toilet sign one I thought they were pretty weak for IAS. Still very watchable though.

I think they've set the bar really high and so are likely to have a dud season here or there. Still not seen this one so am interested to check it out when it comes to UK Netflix
Personally I liked season 13 more than 14. The flashbacks episode was genius, and the sexual harassment one was also great. And was the global warming the one where Dee melts the ice over and over with Charlie acting randomly dumb? I thought that was pretty weak myself, and the laser tag one was like ten years too late. My problem with last season is that it felt like they ran out of ideas and just started rehashing old scenes, and it felt really really forced.

Pickle85

Personally I liked season 13 more than 14. The flashbacks episode was genius, and the sexual harassment one was also great. And was the global warming the one where Dee melts the ice over and over with Charlie acting randomly dumb? I thought that was pretty weak myself, and the laser tag one was like ten years too late. My problem with last season is that it felt like they ran out of ideas and just started rehashing old scenes, and it felt really really forced.
Horses for courses I guess. I don't like flashback episodes in any show really...always seems lazy to me. Yeah, the global warming one was the one with Dee trying to get a good insta story and Charlie messing it up. I really liked how meta the Laser tag one was...love a side of existential philosophy with my comedy :lol:

Charlie Foley

I thought episode 2 was better than 1, and 4 was better than 3. I don’t think I laughed once during 3, and the only time I laughed during 1 was with the hair dye.

also two episodes in a row where they called someone a cnut. I feel like they’re almost using that as a shock factor crutch. They never needed to do that before.

The monkey bit was…pointless, wasn’t it? They could have arrived at the conclusion without the monkey
it’s not like they’ve never just gotten smashed before

Agent Jack Bauer was a much funnier animal addition for example.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Wasn't keen on episode 3 and 4, but the two Ireland episodes (so far, I assume there'll be more?) were pretty solid. Though it's weird how much of it is green-screened. They actually went to Ireland, didn't they?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think as well i am getting bored of ot. About 2 thirds of my way through the seasons. Not rushing to watch it though. I probably will at some point.

Zen

I think I'd agree on the bored part - it's not so much the show itself, maybe it is as it is getting mixed feedback it seems, but some are still really liking it. But my enthusiasm for a show 15 years in, is just tough. Same happens with South Park. Also sensing it starting to happen with Curb, despite the fact it's taken bigger breaks over the years and had been on TV 5 years longer than IASIP.

There are still some episodes I massively enjoy from 12ish onwards, but I'm in a phase where I feel I need to rewatch them to find them I think.. and it's hard to get those rewatches in.

I mean, none of this applies to the Simpsons though, that show just fell off a cliff and I don't think I've seen a single episode after maybe S15?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Ireland ones were much better I thought but I don’t need the political jokes or referencing every single big American scandal possible.

Hoof the ball

The main issue is that the actors have become self-aware of what the viewers find funny about their respective characters, and in being self-aware, the process of intentionally writing these things into their own characters has led to them becoming partly parodic in nature. Once your character becomes parodic, and you intentionally lean into that, then it's the death knell of creativity, since you lose the space for the character to do something new and interesting instead.

cafecillos

The last two were great, I thought. Episode 8 in particular was fantastic, hilarious and quite emotional at times.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I've not seen any of the new season but their podcast is very enjoyable as a fan.

The title of the show coming from an "Aha" song was news to me! (Rob Mcelhenney miss-remembered "The Sun Always Shines on TV" as "It's Always Sunny on TV").

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd be fine to never see episodes 3 and 4 again, but all 4 Ireland episodes were strong. The bit where Dee throws the stew in Dennis' face was a particular highlight, just so needlessly dumb. The use of the title card shortly after was their best for a long time too.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think like too many American comedies, they go on too long and its just the same themes over and over again in a different setting. I have given up watching the office, parks and recreation and so on. The netflix episodes of arrested development werent great either.

marktan

Does anyone else hate Crickets character? It's just so grim to me. I love the show and watch it a lot but I can't imagine how people find a guy getting physically degraded more and more with no redemption ever to be funny..

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Does anyone else hate Crickets character? It's just so grim to me. I love the show and watch it a lot but I can't imagine how people find a guy getting physically degraded more and more with no redemption ever to be funny..
He's my favourite of the secondary characters.

Him being one of the writers and exec producers of the show from the very beginning makes it funnier for me. The bloopers with him are very funny.

He's also married to Emily Deschanel, the swine.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Him being one of the writers and exec producers of the show from the very beginning makes it funnier for me. The bloopers with him are very funny.

Pickle85

Yeah, the blooper reels absolutely kill me. I particularly like the police interrogation scene where they're trying to get a sketch of the shusher, and the Charlie and Mac jobshare interview scene.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

Yeah, I love him too, and the total capitulation of his life throughout each season is hilarious.

Though even though he's my favourite of the secondary characters, the Cricket episode where he gets a job with his dad is definitely among my least favourites.

Hoof the ball

Yeah, I love him too, and the total capitulation of his life throughout each season is hilarious.

Though even though he's my favourite of the secondary characters, the Cricket episode where he gets a job with his dad is definitely among my least favourites.
He's great in Mythic Quest too. Undermined to the Nth degree in that as well.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Not the best season but Dennis' delivery throughout this entire bit (especially the Daddy bit) is probably the finest moment in the show for a long time.

Last edited:

decorativeed

Anyone listening to the podcast? I'm really enjoying it. It's fun to see which character traits of the actors they've leaned into with their on screen characters.

Also, really curious to see which actor they were laying into this week. It was bleeped out in the edit.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Anyone listening to the podcast? I'm really enjoying it. It's fun to see which character traits of the actors they've leaned into with their on screen characters.

Also, really curious to see which actor they were laying into this week. It was bleeped out in the edit.
I've just started them, on to episode 7. It's funny hearing Glenn almost turning, but not quite, into Dennis from time to time when someone disagrees or interrupts him.

decorativeed

I've just started them, on to episode 7. It's funny hearing Glenn almost turning, but not quite, into Dennis from time to time when someone disagrees or interrupts him.
The most recent episodes have video, and you see him going red in the face with suppressed rage while the other two fall about laughing. It's great.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The latest season feels weird. Disjointed, but also a load of obvious green screen and even cgi.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The monkey beer island of fight and green cracked me up. You're all heathens! :lol: