Television It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

decorativeed

Really? Got to disagree...I think they have peaks and troughs like any series but they keep it remarkably fresh. Not seen any of the new series (I'm in the UK) but have enjoyed the last few and reviews so far seem to be favorable. How do you mean they aren't in character?
You'll know when you see it, but it feels more and more like different characters to how they were not only at the beginning, but even four or five seasons back. More like they are going through the motions and not believing in anything they're doing. It's very laboured and the antithesis of fresh.

I'm also in the UK, but I've seen every episode they've released to date.

decorativeed

All subjective of course but seems like you might be in the minority, based on both fan and critic reviews.

I think the podcast has massively helped them focus on what made the show great.
Love the podcast, and I'm not in the camp of viewers they've spoken about where I wish they would stop making it because they are tarnishing their legacy, but I do think they could probably get to 20 seasons and only produce another handful of good episodes.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It's more of a moments show now.

When Frank says to kill him and it pans away and it's a completely packed beach. :lol:

Woodzy

You'll know when you see it, but it feels more and more like different characters to how they were not only at the beginning, but even four or five seasons back. More like they are going through the motions and not believing in anything they're doing. It's very laboured and the antithesis of fresh.

I'm also in the UK, but I've seen every episode they've released to date.
Id agree with this. To me it feels like they’ve been away for like 15 years and just got back together for one of those failed reunion shows you see. Something seems off about it.

Im not saying it’s terrible, and the same goes for season 14 & 15, but it doesn’t have some of that magic it used to.

As someone mentioned though the podcast is great and it seems to give them a new enthusiasm about the show but yet to see that translate in those first two episodes.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Id agree with this. To me it feels like they’ve been away for like 15 years and just got back together for one of those failed reunion shows you see. Something seems off about it.

Im not saying it’s terrible, and the same goes for season 14 & 15, but it doesn’t have some of that magic it used to.

As someone mentioned though the podcast is great and it seems to give them a new enthusiasm about the show but yet to see that translate in those first two episodes.
The thing that feels off to me is the lighting. It's all too bright, bring back the darkness.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The thing that feels off to me is the lighting. It's all too bright, bring back the darkness.
I agree with this. I still like what they're doing a lot, but the look of it just feels wrong. The super high definition and bright lighting definitely spoils the vibe of the bar. It also makes some of the sets looks incredibly fake, particularly Charlie's apartment.

I know Charlie has mentioned it on the podcast, that he preferred how it used to look. I wonder if it was pressure from the network to bring it into the present.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Hmm... Not off to a good start. The show hasn't been great for a few seasons now so I kind of expected it though.

I liked episode 2 a little bit more than episode 1. It had some of the old IASIP absurdity.

decorativeed

Hmm... Not off to a good start. The show hasn't been great for a few seasons now so I kind of expected it though.

I liked episode 2 a little bit more than episode 1. It had some of the old IASIP absurdity.
It did, but in a very low energy kind of way.

I did enjoy how the guy who played Mac's dad came back as his very different uncle, though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I didn't mind the first two episodes at all tbh. It is quite obviously a different show now and I think with it going on so long, them ageing and I think being more aware of them outside of the show it loses a bit of mystique, for lack of a better word.

However saying that I thought there were some classic Sunny laughs in there (Charlie saying he'll glue a pillow to the wall :lol:). Never going to be at the same heights as previous seasons but they seem to be heading back towards the right path at least.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
However saying that I thought there were some classic Sunny laughs in there
Definitely. Frank totally accepting to be put down like a dog. Charlie's mother in literally every scene she's in. Charlie's singing rage.

But I got the biggest laugh from Mac's facial expression when his mother held her finger up, signalling that she will burn him with a cigarette if he doesn't shut up :lol:

Woodzy

Decent third episode I guess.

They really don’t understand what makes the word cnut funny though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Oh man I thought the season had been ok so far but episode 4 was bad.

It was basically every criticism about some of the ways the show has gone the last 5 years wrapped into one episode. Too many call-backs, repeated plot-lines, character’s being parodies of themselves. Surely they can see this?

- Bringing back the Dennis system but reversed. Why?

- Dennis pretending to be the waiter whilst they’re on a date. They already did this with Charlie on the date with the cheese and the sweating.

- Uncle Jack’s character just suddenly losing any hint of subtlety. feck me they just went full on with it to the point where it was just gross.

- Mac being overly stupid. This actually just annoyed me.

- Anal beads chess thing taken directly from a real life story that happened very recently.

Not good.

Last edited:

Idxomer

Yeah, that was a bad parody of their earlier stuff. I liked the previous season but I think they can't make these characters funny anymore. Mac's character especially has taken a big nosedive over the last few seasons. The acting doesn't seem organic most of the time now. Only Glenn and Danny aren't phoning it in but the material isn't helping them.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah, that was a bad parody of their earlier stuff. I liked the previous season but I think they can't make these characters funny anymore. Mac's character especially has taken a big nosedive over the last few seasons. The acting doesn't seem organic most of the time now. Only Glenn and Danny aren't phoning it in but the material isn't helping them.
Glenn still carries the show. I don't think Rob's acting is that great any more.

nimic

something nice
Scout
People on the subreddit are saying that was the best episode on years, a classic. I guess we're out of touch.

And yeah, Rob just isn't a very good actor, his character worked much better in the earlier seasons. They made him too stupid.

decorativeed

The main problem is that Mac is more Rob McIlhenney and less Mac. Gone is the silly obsession with karate kicks, badassery, misplaced overconfidence and delusion. He doesn't even wear Mac clothing anymore. He's too clean. Too..... Rob.
I think that's it exactly. And the rest are just phoning it in.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's got an 8.9 on IMDB, which is only beat by Time's Up for the Gang in the previous 3 seasons, and that's absurd. That was a fantastic episode, this was something else.

I wonder if people are really just going "oh that's like to the Chess thing that maybe happened, I recognize that reference"?

parkthebuslads

It's a shame because I liked a lot of the earlier seasons but in truth I really rather despise it now but can't seem to look away due to my investment. Not at all similar to anything else...:nervous: They also are really underusing Kaitlin.

Charlie Foley

People on the subreddit are saying that was the best episode on years, a classic. I guess we're out of touch.

And yeah, Rob just isn't a very good actor, his character worked much better in the earlier seasons. They made him too stupid.
The subreddit is full of sycophants

Charlie Foley

Oh man I thought the season had been ok so far but episode 4 was bad.

It was basically every criticism about some of the ways the show has gone the last 5 years wrapped into one episode. Too many call-backs, repeated plot-lines, character’s being parodies of themselves. Surely they can see this?

- Bringing back the Dennis system but reversed. Why?

- Dennis pretending to be the waiter whilst they’re on a date. They already did this with Charlie on the date with the cheese and the sweating.

- Uncle Jack’s character just suddenly losing any hint of subtlety. feck me they just went full on with it to the point where it was just gross.

- Mac being overly stupid. This actually just annoyed me.

- Anal beads chess thing taken directly from a real life story that happened very recently.

Not good.
Agree with all this except for the last point I’ll say they have referenced real world events before. Enriching the beers! They’re just not good at it now.

Zen

Totally dropped off my must watch list.... comedy is always easy to do that with thankfully. Mac Finds His Pride was the spiritual ending.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah but as I also mentioned, it's got the second highest IMDB score in 3 and a half seasons.
Mental. I also saw people praising it saying they were dying at certain bits. Very odd. Maybe they can’t accept it’s not as good now.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I haven't seen ep4 yet, but I've heard completely polarising reviews. It's either a classic, or their worst episode yet. Then again, the same was said about The Gang Turns Black, which is probably in my top 5.

I do agree about Rob's acting. Rewatching the old seasons, his acting performance is incredibly underrated. It's been on a bit of a decline since around S14/15, somehow. Whether it's his performance or the writing of the character, I don't know, but Mac is definitely a worse character now than before. Which is a shame. I thought they'd really go heavy on out of the closet gay, ripped Mac, which could be great, but it hasn't happened.

decorativeed

Enjoyed episode 3, and felt like it could easily have been from an earlier season, although it was still missing some of the old magic. Like someone else pointed out, the lighting may be partially responsible for killing the aesthetic and atmosphere they used to have.

decorativeed

I thought episode 4 was decent too - I didn't mind the SINNED System at all, and they have stolen stories from recent real life events a good few times before, so didn't mind that either. It was no masterpiece, but easily a 7/10.

cafecillos

Not a huge fan of the last few seasons myself, but I feel the criticism on here is a bit OTT, which is fine, we all love our hot takes, but what I find odd is that most of the disparaging opinions are based on absolute subjectivity, which again is perfectly fine when discussing comedy, but at the same time, other subjective positive opinions are described as sycophantic, absurd, etc. It's a bit weird when grown ass men haven't grown out of that phase where everything one likes is the bEsTeSt ThInG eVeR and everything one doesn't like is rubbish and people are dumb for liking it.

Lastwolf

The first three where pretty strong, the last one was a bit weak, it had moments though.

Dee has been fairly underused, but her bits this episode were very funny.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Episode 4 must have been written with ChatGPT? It was just a mess of old jokes in new wrapping! Charlie's patriotism, the Dennis system, Dennis and the executioner switch, Charlie's mom and uncle, both of whom feature way too much this season... It could theoretically have worked if the rest of the story was good, but it wasn't. After minute 4 you know exactly how the next 16 minutes will pan out.

Ugh... I really hope they've saved the best episodes for last, because this could be their worst yet (season 14 currently holds that honor).

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
why do americans have to keep doing stuff? it’s fine for a show to just stop.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Just watched Ep4. The Sunny Reddit seem to think it's a classic, and this place thinks it's a steaming pile. I think both views are OTT. It was alright. I dislike how they're making Mac as dumb as Friends did with Joey, but the rest was fine. A few laughs. Preferred it to Ep3.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Just watched Ep4. The Sunny Reddit seem to think it's a classic, and this place thinks it's a steaming pile. I think both views are OTT. It was alright. I dislike how they're making Mac as dumb as Friends did with Joey, but the rest was fine. A few laughs. Preferred it to Ep3.
It's an odd episode in that sense. It's terribly written and full of fan service, but simultaneously the gang is too talented to do everything wrong. There are 3 or 4 killer lines in this train-wreck and also some good physical comedy. Danny is always great but this is my favorite from the episode:

Pickle85

Episode 4 must have been written with ChatGPT? It was just a mess of old jokes in new wrapping! Charlie's patriotism, the Dennis system, Dennis and the executioner switch, Charlie's mom and uncle, both of whom feature way too much this season... It could theoretically have worked if the rest of the story was good, but it wasn't. After minute 4 you know exactly how the next 16 minutes will pan out.

Ugh... I really hope they've saved the best episodes for last, because this could be their worst yet (season 14 currently holds that honor).
Really?! I really liked season 14! Love the text episode and love the global warming one (has probably one of my fave sunny jokes ever - the exchange between charlie and dee re her shoes). The big mo episode is great too. The only two weak episodes imo were the meet cute one and the right to chop one.

Pickle85

Latest episode of the podcast is pretty good, with Glenn's wife. Seems to work way better when rob isn't there.