Ivan Toney Pt.2

Rojofiam

If that price tag is true, we need to be all over him. Would be a no-brainer as he could give us 3 or 4 great seasons, by that time Hojlund will be 24-25.

Different type of striker to Hojlund as well, would give us options up top.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The one thing United seem to have at the moment is a good dressing room. Despite the crap results and performances, there is zero toxicity. I would be very wary of potentially spoiling that with Toney. He seems more trouble than his open play goal contributions are worth. He won’t be taking pens at United.

Rojofiam

The one thing United seem to have at the moment is a good dressing room. Despite the crap results and performances, there is zero toxicity. I would be very wary of potentially spoiling that with Toney. He seems more trouble than his open play goal contributions are worth. He won’t be taking pens at United.
Fair point, however, it's not like we'd be completely in the dark about his personality and potential toxicity if we seriously went for him.

For 30-40m, we're getting a similar profile to Harry Kane, just a worse player, obviously. But still, Toney is a 20-25 league goal striker in a good team IMO. He just turned 28, meaning he could give us 3 or 4 seasons of that level.

I wasn't sure about him before, but having thought about it a bit, I think Toney and Hojlund would be the perfect depth for us up top. Neither of them have big enough names and careers not to tolerate a few weeks/months of limited playing time, if the other one is doing very well.

He's a risk I would take, to be honest.

binary bot
Rather we just go all in on a long term transfer approach with a primary focus on the starting 11, signings like this just leave us further behind when someone special becomes available.

Arsenal/Liverpool/City will end up with someone who could do a job for 6-7 years and we’ll be attracted to someone like Toney who’ll do a job for 2-3 years, need to be replaced and also be in a weakened position to sign someone better.

Our obsession with the stopgap / slight upgrade signings need to end.

Rojofiam

Rather we just go all in on a long term transfer approach with a primary focus on the starting 11, signings like this just leave us further behind when someone special becomes available.

Arsenal/Liverpool/City will end up with someone who could do a job for 6-7 years and we’ll be attracted to someone like Toney who’ll do a job for 2-3 years, need to be replaced and also be in a weakened position to sign someone better.

Our obsession with the stopgap / slight upgrade signings need to end.
We already have Hojlund as our long-term, number 1 striker, though, don't we?

OverratedOpinion

The 30m - 40m is more than likely miles off but if he was that price then he would be a wonderful addition to share the load with Hojlund for a few years. I really don't see it though, the quotes after his ban were 50m and hes now back scoring for Brentford and just made his England debut.

Rojofiam

Correct. Someone at the age of Toney would be perfect as when he starts to decline, Hojlund should be ready to step up. In theory anyway.
A 28 year old player looking to make the big move of his career is also not a stop-gap signing, like signing a 33 year old Edinson Cavani who had just spent 7 years and most of his peak in PSG.

aeh1991

I find it hilarious how people want to get rid of bad characters on one hand and then cry for Toney.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The 30m - 40m is more than likely miles off but if he was that price then he would be a wonderful addition to share the load with Hojlund for a few years. I really don't see it though, the quotes after his ban were 50m and hes now back scoring for Brentford and just made his England debut.
Yeah I think they are click baiting with that price range, it will be 50m+

Bwuk

30-40m is a no brainer.

He could play with Hojlund or rotate with him. I really like Hojlund but the games he’s been struggling to have any sort of impact in recently, it’d be great to have Toney to mix it up.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Yeah I think they are click baiting with that price range, it will be 50m+
Not too sure. One year left of his contract. 28. Big ego. Lots of clubs will be vary of handing him his big contract and paying a big fee. City not an option. Arsenal probably not either with Havertz and Jesus. Liverpool? Probably not with Darwin and Jota.

Does not suit Chelsea policy. Spurs probably his best bet. And Levy dont pay up.

golden_blunder

Staff
Not too sure. One year left of his contract. 28. Big ego. Lots of clubs will be vary of handing him his big contract and paying a big fee. City not an option. Arsenal probably not either with Havertz and Jesus. Liverpool? Probably not with Darwin and Jota.

Does not suit Chelsea policy. Spurs probably his best bet. And Levy dont pay up.
I’d be amazed if he goes in that price range. He’s worth keeping at Brentford for his final year otherwise.

personally I think he will stay in London at either Arsenal (he’s a fan) or Chelsea where they are dying for a proper number 9

OverratedOpinion

I reckon Arsenal are definitely an option. I'm no future teller but Havertz frequently has a purple patch once a season then returns to being bang average. I also wouldn't be surprised if Arteta still wants to give him another try in midfield for his ego.

Woziak

I’d be amazed if he goes in that price range. He’s worth keeping at Brentford for his final year otherwise.

personally I think he will stay in London at either Arsenal (he’s a fan) or Chelsea where they are dying for a proper number 9
I thought he was a Liverpool Fan ?

OverratedOpinion

I thought he was a Liverpool Fan ?
Tbf since Robbie Keane I never believe any player when they name their childhood club. Most would probably say they were Bayern fans because they just loved Roy Makaay growing up if they were linked with them.

Woziak

I honestly think if we showed interest it jumps up to 60-70m for us.
Not with 12 months on his contract, he’s on less than 50k per week at Brentford, he just refuses to sign a new contract, United offer £40m plus Eriksen who would probably love to go back to Brentford and play again.

I hope we are in for him at that money. Hes a very good striker who is a nuisance for defenders and would help immensly with link up play.

His character doesn't concern me as much. If we avoided bad characters we would never have signed Cantona. If he fits, sign him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
30-40m is a no brainer.

He could play with Hojlund or rotate with him. I really like Hojlund but the games he’s been struggling to have any sort of impact in recently, it’d be great to have Toney to mix it up.
Yeah he's a gamble he'll probably fancy the odds

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
At first value he's a great deal to do, maybe a too much of a good deal. 40m for a 28 year old striker whose EPL proven are indeed peanuts. There again, after the Tonali mess, I guess we're better stir out of this one. Gambling is an addiction and United has a tendency to put a huge spotlight on a player. The last thing we need is someone who spends months out of the game because he was caught with his hand inside the cookie jar again

ROFLUTION

30-40m is quite cheap for a good striker imo. Not sure if it’s the right thing to do though. He can be an idiot + we’d develop Højlund less. Also he’d not have much resale value in 3 years compared to if we bought a young striker.

He’d be a hit here anyways I believe. He’s at the peak of his career and we need a striker - both with injuries and for rotation/competition. Wouldnt be against it, but only if he doesn’t throw hissy fits if he’s not no 1 choice.

OverratedOpinion

30-40m is quite cheap for a good striker imo. Not sure if it’s the right thing to do though. He can be an idiot + we’d develop Højlund less. Also he’d not have much resale value in 3 years compared to if we bought a young striker.

He’d be a hit here anyways I believe. He’s at the peak of his career and we need a striker - both with injuries and for rotation/competition. Wouldnt be against it, but only if he doesn’t throw hissy fits if he’s not no 1 choice.
I'm not quite sure about the idea that we would develop Hojlund less.

This isn't specific to Toney but we have seen what happened to Rooney, Owen and other that were relied upon too much at a young age. I think having someone of a similar level that can help carry the load whilst still being of a profile that it isn't a big controversy when Hojlund starts ahead of them could be the best think for Rasmus.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Many of our Legends are awful people, and I wouldn't put betting alongside the things they've done. He seems to have the right attitude on the pitch and is exactly the profile of striker we could use. At $40 million that is prob the best business anyone could do in the forward market this summer.

OverratedOpinion

Many of our Legends are awful people, and I wouldn't put betting alongside the things they've done. He seems to have the right attitude on the pitch and is exactly the profile of striker we could use. At $40 million that is prob the best business anyone could do in the forward market this summer.
This is true, anyone judging him particularly harshly for his gambling addiction is a bit silly. Utd would have to be confident he isn't going to get another long ban just in practical terms but otherwise there is nothing to worry about.

Woziak

ROFLUTION

I'm not quite sure about the idea that we would develop Hojlund less.

This isn't specific to Toney but we have seen what happened to Rooney, Owen and other that were relied upon too much at a young age. I think having someone of a similar level that can help carry the load whilst still being of a profile that it isn't a big controversy when Hojlund starts ahead of them could be the best think for Rasmus.
Yeah could be. Plus you’d create competition for Toney to give everything. In theory it should be a win/win.

binary bot
Correct. Someone at the age of Toney would be perfect as when he starts to decline, Hojlund should be ready to step up. In theory anyway.
I don’t see the same value in these incremental steps. It just prolongs everything and costs more.

He’s an improvement on current Hojlund but not at the level we’re trying to get to. He’s not an age where he can eventually get to that level nor have resale value.

He’s an ideal signing for teams that are nearly there and just need a final bit of depth / cover.

We already have Hojlund as our long-term, number 1 striker, though, don't we?
Even if Hojlund is set to become the next Ronaldo, we shouldn’t be banking on it - we should be signing more competition of a similar age that can reach / already at a high level.

We’re in an infinite loop of signings players that will help us get top 4, but not move beyond that.

golden_blunder

Staff

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If that price is real then yes we should be all over it. Makes perfect sense with Hojlunds development plan too.

And to all those that say "we shouldn't bank on Hojlund developing and should sign a top striker anyway" - well that's not how things work and you don't have infinite funds. Hojlund is a top talent, and we invested a lot in him. He's going to get time to develop because it's just a really dumb plan to not let him develop, especially considering how far off our team is, and how our other best talents that we'll build around are even younger than him.