Ivan Toney Pt.2

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Looks like he is a Liverpool fan but also has a liking for Arsenal

I see he’s also been pitching a move to Spain as well
Really he just knows he's getting older and wants to get the chance to play at a big club while he's in his prime, which is fair.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The 30m - 40m is more than likely miles off but if he was that price then he would be a wonderful addition to share the load with Hojlund for a few years. I really don't see it though, the quotes after his ban were 50m and hes now back scoring for Brentford and just made his England debut.
Eh not so sure. He has 1 year left on his contract, and at his age and quality he's not somebody that a team would spend 80m+ on. Also when you consider who would actually go for him. 30-40m makes sense.

Bwuk

Games like yesterday where Hojlund struggled to impact, Toney would be great.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
is he really that bad a character? Gambling ban aside, has there been other stuff?
Just been caught multiple times shitting on Brentford on social media to random people. In the lower leagues always had a bit of a reputation for being a bellend, same as Maddison. Fair enough they were both too talented for there, but not sure getting to the prem has ever got rid of that knobby side to their personalities.

Marwood

Can't see it happening purely because who has two strikers of this kind of value. A £60 million striker on the bench with everything we need?

Lyng

Brentford haven't looked much better after he came back. Seems to have a massive ego. Not the type of character I want at United to be honest.

Bwuk

Can't see it happening purely because who has two strikers of this kind of value. A £60 million striker on the bench with everything we need?
Liverpool have Nunez, Diaz, Salah, Jota and Gakpo who bar Gakpo would all cost similar.

Arsenal with Jesus, Martinelli, Saka & Havertz.

City with Haaland & Alvarez at ST.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Every top club in the country.

Cassidy

Arsenal no (Havertz and Jesus)
Liverpool no (Nunez and Jota)
City Debatably (Zero debate)
Aston Villa no (Not a top club)
Spurs no (Not a top club)
Man Utd no (No longer a top club and before this season didn't even have 1 striker of said value)
Newcastle no (Isak and Wilson and also not a top club)

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
The past 10 years has embedded such a loser mentality in us. Standards have plummeted.

Marwood

The past 10 years has embedded such a loser mentality in us. Standards have plummeted.
If you can name the clubs with two strikers above £50/60 million go for it.

But yeah I suppose it could be my loser mentality.

Last edited:

didz

Can see it happening purely because who goes into a season with only one centre forward in the squad, said forward being a developmental project who has already suffered 5 separate injuries since joining and is at risk of burning out before he ever comes good? A £60m striker in the squad with all the goals we need sounds pretty good to me.

And as @Cassidy has pointed out, the 3 teams actually in a title race do indeed all have two options each that would be valued at that mark or more.

I don't think we'll end up signing Toney specifically - he'll probably go to Arsenal to be one of three strikers. But I also don't think it will be because the club looks at our options (well, option) and figures we're good in the position.

Marwood

Can see it happening purely because who goes into a season with only one centre forward in the squad, said forward being a developmental project who has already suffered 5 separate injuries since joining and is at risk of burning out before he ever comes good? A £60m striker in the squad with all the goals we need sounds pretty good to me.

And as @Cassidy has pointed out, the 3 teams actually in a title race do indeed all have two options each that would be valued at that mark or more.

I don't think we'll end up signing Toney specifically - he'll probably go to Arsenal to be one of three strikers. But I also don't think it will be because the club looks at our options (well, option) and figures we're good in the position.
There's no debate about us needing two striker options. Definitely. But we haven't spent big money on a No.9 one summer to spend big money on a number 9 again the following summer.

Nobody does this and a club that needs six new players definitely shouldn't.

City's backup striker cost £17 million or something didn't he?

Arsenal haven't got one. They play an AM up front instead of Jesus. But the two can and do play together.

Liverpool play a wide player in Jota up front instead of Nunez. Again, they can be on the pitch together.

Hojlund and Tony are pure No.9's. It's one or the other. No chance we bench a striker we've just paid that amount of money for.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He played a lot against my boys Wycombe when at Peterborough. He was always horribly arrogant, petulant and a right arse.
I think he's a massive pen stat padding average Joe, who I'd be horrified for us to whack big money on personally.

Other views are available.
You're right. The guy is a prize bell. I remember him from school. He was the same then.
I also got that impression from his interview with Steven Bartlett. I went into that vid expecting to feel sorry for him and came out thinking he's just thick and arrogant. He's talented, buy not the character I would want as a senior player at the club.
I think this guy is going to go to a big club and tear it up. Perhaps not Yorke level, but some kind of leap from what he's shown at Brentford.

The stories about him never seem to be positive or redeeming (as above), but I really have a sense that his arrogance and dislikeable qualities are drivers for him to be better on the pitch - self-serving, but also understanding that the better he does for himself, the more money and plaudits that will come his way. So long as that can be harnessed and not turned on the club or teammates, it's a useful asset - some of the very best are insufferable narcissists, and whilst we're in the doldrums, using such a player whilst he believes he's using us is mutually beneficial, to me.

If these touted numbers for him are accurate, I suspect every top English club bar City will be throwing their hat in the ring for him this summer as a no-brainer.

Remember the geese

I think this guy is going to go to a big club and tear it up. Perhaps not Yorke level, but some kind of leap from what he's shown at Brentford.

The stories about him never seem to be positive or redeeming (as above), but I really have a sense that his arrogance and dislikeable qualities are drivers for him to be better on the pitch - self-serving, but also understanding that the better he does for himself, the more money and plaudits that will come his way. So long as that can be harnessed and not turned on the club or teammates, it's a useful asset - some of the very best are insufferable narcissists, and whilst we're in the doldrums, using such a player whilst he believes he's using us is mutually beneficial, to me.

If these touted numbers for him are accurate, I suspect every top English club bar City will be throwing their hat in the ring for him this summer as a no-brainer.
I don't consider him to be a particularly special player. Added to that, I don't like him or his attitude. It's a firm no for me.

OverratedOpinion

@Cassidy

The top 5 in the premier league are all top clubs. If you dont think so then I'd live to hear who the 2 top strikers at Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter Milan or Bayern Munich.

Havertz and Callum Wilson is absurd.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

If I had to pick an English striker, it would be Watkins, Solanke and Toney in that order. His dislikeable qualities are what put him bottom, because I don't think there's much in it talent wise.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I’d be happy to sign Toney but I’d much rather Watkins if we could prize him out of Villa.
Completely unrealistic. He'll be playing CL football with Villa next season.

Woziak

Brentford haven't looked much better after he came back. Seems to have a massive ego. Not the type of character I want at United to be honest.
Much rather sign Solanke who’s 2/3 years younger better touch and can play in a deeper role or as 10.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If I had to pick an English striker, it would be Watkins, Solanke and Toney in that order. His dislikeable qualities are what put him bottom, because I don't think there's much in it talent wise.
Yeah but £30m-£40m is very different to the double or triple you’re going to have to put down for Solanke and Watkins respectively.

Roboc7

Watkins is not going to happen, 28 years old, Villa would want a huge fee and would he even want to give up playing in Champions League.

I can’t see us spending more than 33-40 on a striker if Toney could be bought for that or less it is quite tempting even with the baggage. At 28 with only year on his contract he should easy to get for around 30m. Maybe the club would still prefer Šeško or Zikzee but you’d have to consider Toney for a similar or smaller fee to those 2.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You think Bournemouth would value Solanke that highly?! I’d have thought he was cheapest of the 3.
Unless he’s in the final year of his current contract, £60m-£70m is what I think they’d ask for him. Bournemouth may even be setting themselves up for relegation upon his sale, so he’s worth a fortune to them.

Cassidy

@Cassidy

The top 5 in the premier league are all top clubs. If you dont think so then I'd live to hear who the 2 top strikers at Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter Milan or Bayern Munich.

Havertz and Callum Wilson is absurd.
Top 5 in PL are not all top clubs but thats your opinion to say they are. Clearly City Pool and Arsenal are levels above Newcastle, Spurs and Villa. I only mentioned the top clubs in the league so not sure why you would bring up clubs from other leagues.

Surely you do know though that both Inter and Bayern have 2 strikers who would cost north of 50m if you tried to sign them in Tel and Thuram who are their no2 strikers.

Havertz cost over 60m twice but is absurd and plays as the starting 9 at his last 2 clubs

Woziak

Wow! That doesn’t seem right, he’s like JLingz I guess, he seems to have been around forever! :smirk:
He’s 26, I Toney is 28, Ole Watkins is 28, and he’s always had the elite potential, this is a kid who won the U20 WC with England and was voted player of the tournament, so there is that?

Plus he was original a 10 with Tammy Abraham’s being the 9 in the Chelsea youth team that won everything from 2014-15 so he was 17 then, he moved to Liverpool at 18 I thought, Solanke is rare breed he won the Euro under 17 with England and the U20 WC too.

He’s got everything and he’s could be fantastic at United, I think he’ll go to spurs and we’ll regret that one, this is one I’m hoping Ashworth gets involved with as he knows him well!

OverratedOpinion

Top 5 in PL are not all top clubs but thats your opinion to say they are. Clearly City Pool and Arsenal are levels above Newcastle, Spurs and Villa. I only mentioned the top clubs in the league so not sure why you would bring up clubs from other leagues.

Surely you do know though that both Inter and Bayern have 2 strikers who would cost north of 50m if you tried to sign them in Tel and Thuram who are their no2 strikers.

Havertz cost over 60m twice but is absurd and plays as the starting 9 at his last 2 clubs very little of the season as a striker.
No one is signing Thuram for 60m despite being a decent player. Tel is a left winger.

Barcelona and Madrid?

The Haverts fee was roundly mocked and he has not proven to be worth that despite his standard purple patch. He has also played the majority of the season in midfield.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah but £30m-£40m is very different to the double or triple you’re going to have to put down for Solanke and Watkins respectively.
If that's what Toney goes for, that will definitely put him higher on anyone's list. That's the cost analysis the recruitment team will have to do. I personally would prefer not to go for a risky character like him, even if cheaper.

didz

That's when we played with two strikers though. So each position had one backup.

And the backups cost peanuts.
You seem mostly concerned with cost. I imagine others are more concerned with quality, hence the disagreement. If £60m is too much to spend on anybody, I'd be curious to know what your magic number is. £20m? £10m?

Cassidy

No one is signing Thuram for 60m despite being a decent player. Tel is a left winger.

Barcelona and Madrid?

The Haverts fee was roundly mocked and he has not proven to be worth that despite his standard purple patch. He has also played the majority of the season in midfield.
What are you talking about? Tel is a striker who gets minutes at LW and CF because he is young, and the club signed Kane in his position, he is compared to Benzema and Mbappe and wears the no 9 for france u21s

Barcelona have Lewandowski and Victor Roque
Madrid currently don't actually play with a no 9 since they are rebuilding their attack and are signing Mbappe and Endrick (however this is moot since Madrid is not in the country, neither is Barcelona, Inter Milan or whatever other European clubs you mentioned)

Whether you think the fee for Havertz was right or not, that was his fee, just like Hojlund's fee was mocked, as was Nunez fee and plenty of other players.
CF fees are high because there are not many around, you can't change the parameters just because it doesn't suit your agenda, its ok to admit when you got something wrong

Last edited: