Ivan Toney Pt.2

didz

They've done it all season.

They've played 18 league games with 2 up front and when they've played 3 up front Wissa has played on the left
Yes. The point is, they aren't playing two up top because Toney isn't effective as a lone striker. Last season, when not facing a bigger side and, crucially, when Toney was available, their go-to was a 433.

Ekeke

Yes. The point is, they aren't playing two up top because Toney isn't effective as a lone striker. Last season, when not facing a bigger side and, crucially, when Toney was available, their go-to was a 433.
Nobody said they were. I said I think he'd be better than Hojlund on his own but worse than with his chaos causing partner Wissa. Stop being so defensive

didz

Nobody said they were. I said I think he'd be better than Hojlund on his own but worse than with his chaos causing partner Wissa. Stop being so defensive
I missed your point then - it happens. Stop being so defensive.

bosskeano

definitely seems like there are growing whispers that United have a serious interest in him this summer....i think this would be a very good move by United and would help Rasmus a lot to have a veteran striker to train with ....IF the fee is appropriate for the age and length left on his contract

Tarrou

definitely seems like there are growing whispers that United have a serious interest in him this summer....i think this would be a very good move by United and would help Rasmus a lot to have a veteran striker to train with ....IF the fee is appropriate for the age and length left on his contract
I think it would be a terrible move. Both players expecting to start and only one realistically does in most formations. What other team is spending that much on a striker with so much other shit tosort out and the current striker looking promising?

bosskeano

I think it would be a terrible move. Both players expecting to start and only one realistically does in most formations. What other team is spending that much on a striker with so much other shit tosort out and the current striker looking promising?
Rasmus can't play every match and we need a veteran striker who's a proven goal scorer? what else would you expect us to do? Any striker worth a damn is going to cost 40-60m quid

We have a ton of holes in this squad but a glaring one is in the attack especially with Rashford going off the boil for an entire season

Marwood

Rasmus can't play every match and we need a veteran striker who's a proven goal scorer? what else would you expect us to do? Any striker worth a damn is going to cost 40-60m quid

We have a ton of holes in this squad but a glaring one is in the attack especially with Rashford going off the boil for an entire season
He's not a veteran yet. He'd be looking to start every game.

Marwood

He's almost 29 years old.....veteran yes, prime of his career, debatable at this moment if that is how you were referencing things
Never heard of a 28 year old referred to as a veteran.

But either way no chance Toney is going to make his biggest career move to be a mostly bench option. He'll want to be first choice.

And no team really rotates their striker week to week.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I don't see how it benefits Hojlund at all.

Another £50/60 million striker on big money taking his starting spot.

AneRu

We will have Europa or God forbid the Conference League so we can rotate throughout the season and keep both fresh. I don't doubt the need for another striker I just doubt whether this is our guy, I think Solanke is more in tune with what we need and will likely cost around the same or a bit more but would be more effective for us.

Hoijlund will be okay, if he develops well he will force the manager's hand and start alongside the new striker signing. If he develops well and we don't have a place for him we can still recoup a significant portion of our investment in him. If he overtakes the new signing he will simply play. What we can't do is stake another season on him given his development and injuries that he has had.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm not a fan of the Toney idea, but I certainly wouldn't say striker is any sort of position we don't need immediate surgery in.

We've had a terrible goal difference this season and probably have about 10 goals between 3 or 4 wingers combined. And Hojlund has had long spells without a goal, as well as having way too much on his shoulders at this point in his career.

Tarrou

Do what every other big team does and either use a combination of academy players, older players, or players who can play multiple positions (eg Rashford)

nobody does what you are suggesting as far as i know (purchase two main number 9s)

Tarrou

I'm not a fan of the Toney idea, but I certainly wouldn't say striker is any sort of position we don't need immediate surgery in.

We've had a terrible goal difference this season and probably have about 10 goals between 3 or 4 wingers combined. And Hojlund has had long spells without a goal, as well as having way too much on his shoulders at this point in his career.
Hojlund has done really well considering the low amount of chances he's getting. That issue needs to be fixed before we can spend on another number 9.

And it's his first season he's only gonna get better from here. Purchasing Tony would be massively demotivating from him at this stage in his career.

Woodzy

Can’t believe people are against this because of Hojlund. I rate him highly but we absolutely need another striker, and we can’t tip toe around who we pick because of a young player that isn’t reaching high numbers just yet.

Morpheus 7

Hojlund has done really well considering the low amount of chances he's getting. That issue needs to be fixed before we can spend on another number 9.

And it's his first season he's only gonna get better from here. Purchasing Tony would be massively demotivating from him at this stage in his career.
United can't rely on one striker, competition is needed also. It's the worst time in our history for forward options. All our good sides in the past have had 3 or even 4 options.

Marwood

United can't rely on one striker, competition is needed also. It's the worst time in our history for forward options. All our good sides in the past have had 3 or even 4 options.
No that hasn't happened since the days of 442.

Two No.9 options is the most you can realistically carry.

Tarrou

competition is needed

top teams don't (or very rarely) buy two top number nines

those two statements are both true

Hughes35

Weird seeing people not want Tony because of Hojlund.

I think Hojlund is good and has potential to be very good but you absolutely MUST have two CF options. Haaland and Alvarez, Nunez and Jota, Son and Richarlison, Isak and Wilson, Jesus, Haavertz and Nketia.

Hojlund and Tony would also play together more than people think IMO. Especially when chasing a goal, they'd both end up on the pitch together.

Nas-JR

Can’t believe people are against this because of Hojlund. I rate him highly but we absolutely need another striker, and we can’t tip toe around who we pick because of a young player that isn’t reaching high numbers just yet.
It's crazy isn't it. We literally have 1 striker, a 21 year old. United of old had 4 wc strikers. Toney is exactly the type of profile we need to go for, assuming he costs 30-40 mil. And realistically he should. His stock isn't as high as in the past due to the ban, he's 29, last year of his contract and everyone knows he's leaving. He's got more experience than our current forward, is a different type of player and has a hell of a lot of grit in his game.

There is a huge amount of games per year. More than enough to accommodate two strikers. I wouldn't be surprised if both played together either.

In fact, we need a third striker /wide forward (or possibly reintegrate a certain player out on loan...). Again, look at the top 3. Liverpool have about 6 to fill the 3 positions up top. City have Àlvarez who is world class on the bench. 2 of jesus, Martinelli and trossard are always on the bench for arsenal. We have laughable levels of depth and getting good options like Toney will pay off.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Weird seeing people not want Tony because of Hojlund.

I think Hojlund is good and has potential to be very good but you absolutely MUST have two CF options. Haaland and Alvarez, Nunez and Jota, Son and Richarlison, Isak and Wilson, Jesus, Haavertz and Nketia.

Hojlund and Tony would also play together more than people think IMO. Especially when chasing a goal, they'd both end up on the pitch together.
Sure, but why do we spend big money on the striker? Alvarez, Jota, Wilson and Nketiah hardly cost anything. Sesko for example would cost less and be a longer term investment. Would have bigger space on the wage budget and transfer budget for other areas, which we need.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's crazy isn't it. We literally have 1 striker, a 21 year old. United of old had 4 wc strikers. Toney is exactly the type of profile we need to go for, assuming he costs 30-40 mil. And realistically he should. His stock isn't as high as in the past due to the ban, he's 29, last year of his contract and everyone knows he's leaving. He's got more experience than our current forward, is a different type of player and has a hell of a lot of grit in his game.

There is a huge amount of games per year. More than enough to accommodate two strikers. I wouldn't be surprised if both played together either.

In fact, we need a third striker /wide forward (or possibly reintegrate a certain player out on loan...). Again, look at the top 3. Liverpool have about 6 to fill the 3 positions up top. City have Àlvarez who is world class on the bench. 2 of jesus, Martinelli and trossard are always on the bench for arsenal. We have laughable levels of depth and getting good options like Toney will pay off.
We had 4 good strikers in the days you always played 2 up front.
However we certainly need a quality striker as either competition or who can play with Hojlund on occasions.

The wingers are a huge concern too. Sancho might still have one last chance for the new manager but Antony looks severely limited, Rash has 1 every 2 seasons looming really uninterested and poor and Garnacho has had a good season but needs to develop more.

shayanr

its laughable really not wanting Toney because of Hojlund. We were literally left without a striker parts of this season when Hojlund got injured. Furthermore, we shouldn’t be relying on a 21 years old striker to carry the team. He’s still not yet ready. In a couple of seasons, yes. But now, we need another striker option and Toney would be perfect for us.

Lyng

its laughable really not wanting Toney because of Hojlund. We were literally left without a striker parts of this season when Hojlund got injured. Furthermore, we shouldn’t be relying on a 21 years old striker to carry the team. He’s still not yet ready. In a couple of seasons, yes. But now, we need another striker option and Toney would be perfect for us.
I really don't want Toney. But not because of Rasmus. I just don't think Toney is a good fit. Brentford have hardly been better after he came back and on top of that he has several red flags that makes me question if he is truly the type of character we need in our squad.

Marwood

Nobody is arguing going into next season with just Hojlund again.

It's more a question of how best to go about creating another option given we need about 200 new players.

Hughes35

Sure, but why do we spend big money on the striker? Alvarez, Jota, Wilson and Nketiah hardly cost anything. Sesko for example would cost less and be a longer term investment. Would have bigger space on the wage budget and transfer budget for other areas, which we need.
Oh i agree with you. I think we lack huge imagination and scouting. I was just commenting about all the posts saying a top striker isn't priority because we have Hojlund.