Ivan Toney Pt.2

Abraxas

He's a good player. Impressed by his overall play, certainly can't typecast him as just a big strong lump.

Yesterday wasn't very clinical though. I wonder about that from open play.

If you had him and Hojlund it'd be two very good options to cover all eventualities through the season with two proper 9s. But I wouldn't pay stupid amounts for Toney for this reason, Hojlund has so much potential I don't see how you can blow huge money on Toney and sacrifice other areas of our squad.

The Irish Connection

So quality these days is a striker having 9 shots and having 0 on target . The bar is low for a striker
Hang on now, one hit the inside of the post, on another day would have gone in. Another was offside by an armpit.
Obviously the holdup play/assist for their goal was great.
I thought he was excellent but the price tag they would want (80m +) wouldn’t be worth it.

El Jefe

Toney has always been quality. I said last season he reminds me of Dwight Yorke a bit. His ability to be a scorer and a creator is very rare for non world class strikers, add in the fact that he puts in a shift and he’s a perfect option.

It can’t be underestimated how easy it is for other strikers to play alongside him. He’s always had a great partnership with Mbeumo but this season he’s been able to link well with Wissa and Maupay too.

Would definitely sign him.

Ekeke

Hang on now, one hit the inside of the post, on another day would have gone in. Another was offside by an armpit.
Obviously the holdup play/assist for their goal was great.
I thought he was excellent but the price tag they would want (80m +) wouldn’t be worth it.
He was good but his shooting wasnt. Yes he hit the inside of the post but thats a chance you can score from and he didnt. He also had other good chances and missed the target

Good game but if he was playing for us and put in that performance it would be a flop at £50 million for a striker. Its the kind of performance Nunez gets laughed at for

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
His hold up play is night and day compared to Hojlund. He'd be a good signing as first choice but we have too many other issues to sort this summer.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Toney is a good player but spending silly money on yet another striker is hardly a good investment considering that it would mean having to bench Hojlund. Our issues is not the STK department either. We're not creating enough chances. All our flank men refuse to pass/cross the ball and we simply give the ball away far too easily.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Toney has always been quality. I said last season he reminds me of Dwight Yorke a bit. His ability to be a scorer and a creator is very rare for non world class strikers, add in the fact that he puts in a shift and he’s a perfect option.

It can’t be underestimated how easy it is for other strikers to play alongside him. He’s always had a great partnership with Mbeumo but this season he’s been able to link well with Wissa and Maupay too.

Would definitely sign him.
Agreed. Especially if we could negotiate a decent fee

Pickle85

There are only 5 teams that have scored less than Utd.

Zero goal difference.
A dysfunctional midfield and wide forwards that have been totally misfiring are much bigger contributing factors here. We've seen that Hojlund can score goals...he just needs more creativity around him and a better system.

imonkmc

He seems to be too static from the limited amount I’ve seen him

The Irish Connection

He was good but his shooting wasnt. Yes he hit the inside of the post but thats a chance you can score from and he didnt. He also had other good chances and missed the target

Good game but if he was playing for us and put in that performance it would be a flop at £50 million for a striker. Its the kind of performance Nunez gets laughed at for
Nah, disagree. Other than missing two goals by a couple inches he was excellent. Nunez could only dream of the hold up play he showed because other than intense runs Nunez is a bit of a donkey.
Id be delighted to get him for 50m but the minimum they’ll ask for is 70m.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The animosity toward him where does it come from? Looks like a striker primed for a big money move. He's not in the potential Ballon candidate territory, but he doesn't have to be. He offers a lot to his team with the way he plays and he's very aware of his teammates and their movement and preferences.

Not a mega money signing, but for a fair price I don't see a reason not to take him. He also looks like the kind of player who will go up a gear around better players, so what you buy might be a fraction of what you actually get with him. Ego and desire for a huge contract should surely be seen as positive drivers because via performance, he gets what he wants as do the club.

Ekeke

Nah, disagree. Other than missing two goals by a couple inches he was excellent. Nunez could only dream of the hold up play he showed because other than intense runs Nunez is a bit of a donkey.
Id be delighted to get him for 50m but the minimum they’ll ask for is 70m.
Only thing wrong with Nunez is sometimes his finishing. The same thing was wrong with Toney against us.

meninred

He seems a striker that creates havoc. But if he scored 20 goals last season he is someone to consider but again with his price tag it may not be worth it. ideally a second choice striker.

The Irish Connection

Only thing wrong with Nunez is sometimes his finishing. The same thing was wrong with Toney against us.
Do you really think Nunez’ general play is good? I think he’s about as good as Haaland in that area. Toney is much better in hold up play.

Red Star One

I'd say he's quite a distance ahead of Nunez in his overall play, but he's also significantly older (three or four years, IIRC). Love his first touch, love his awareness in the box, love his hold-up play. I think he'd be a great addition to the squad and would make us better, also releasing some pressure off Hojlund.

Ekeke

Do you really think Nunez’ general play is good? I think he’s about as good as Haaland in that area. Toney is much better in hold up play.
Yeah hes had plenty of games where hes had everything but missed chances. Again im talking about one match, Toney is normally a better finisher than he showed against us

tentan

Poor man's poster.
He seems a striker that creates havoc. But if he scored 20 goals last season he is someone to consider but again with his price tag it may not be worth it. ideally a second choice striker.
You crazy he would be first name on the team sheet at United.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Buy him, play him off Hojlund in a 4-4-2.

Line breaking passes into him will stick and suddenly we are up the pitch. Either keeps the ball or wins a foul.

Hughie77

28 Yr old , and a massive wad of cash.. I don't think he's a shrinking violet as a person so would adapt to OT, imo I still don't think he's good enough for the money they'd ask, but you don't know until you bye those players..

Moriarty

A dysfunctional midfield and wide forwards that have been totally misfiring are much bigger contributing factors here. We've seen that Hojlund can score goals...he just needs more creativity around him and a better system.
But we need more than one striker even if we started getting more goals from midfield. We'd get 3, maybe 4 seasons out of Toney and a lot of goals.

mu4c_20le

I think the "why not" is that they would demand double that or more.
Perhaps. He is in his last year though, and we have a new structure now. For a reasonable price he can add something to our attack, especially if we are going to persist with our wingers.

OverratedOpinion

Perhaps. He is in his last year though, and we have a new structure now. For a reasonable price he can add something to our attack, especially if we are going to persist with our wingers.
Not even a single percent chance we could sign him for less than 50m but if we could then yeah he is very good.

Pickle85

But we need more than one striker even if we started getting more goals from midfield. We'd get 3, maybe 4 seasons out of Toney and a lot of goals.
Agreed, he's decent and I'd absolutely take him but at the price he'd cost he's not worth it for us, I'd presume. Wouldn't he be 80 million or so ( for us at least)?

Edit: didn't realize he was in his last year. I'm that case would absolutely take him for fifty mill provided his wage and signing in bonuses weren't prohibitive.

daba

Us having a new structure in place isn’t guna suddenly mean we pay half a players market value. It will/should however stop us panic buying and overpaying on players.

For example, our new recruitment function might value Toney at £30m but Brentford will likely want £50-60m. What our new recruitment function will/should do is say no to Brentford and quickly move on to our next target, rather than fannying about for the whole summer negotiating on a single target and then on deadline day (or after we’ve been pumped in our first games again) paying the £60m.

For what it’s worth I think Toney’s probably a £60m player if he has 2+ years on his contract. With just 1 year I think £40m is very fair.

Moriarty

Agreed, he's decent and I'd absolutely take him but at the price he'd cost he's not worth it for us, I'd presume. Wouldn't he be 80 million or so ( for us at least)?

Edit: didn't realize he was in his last year. I'm that case would absolutely take him for fifty mill provided his wage and signing in bonuses weren't prohibitive.
£50 million would tops I reckon, but we'd be competing with other teams if he's coming to the end of his contract.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Us having a new structure in place isn’t guna suddenly mean we pay half a players market value. It will/should however stop us panic buying and overpaying on players.
Not sure you understand how this works daba. Ashworth used to work for Brighton, and signed loads of gems for them on the cheap. We've signed him now, or are about to. So now we will pay Brighton prices.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The animosity toward him where does it come from? Looks like a striker primed for a big money move. He's not in the potential Ballon candidate territory, but he doesn't have to be. He offers a lot to his team with the way he plays and he's very aware of his teammates and their movement and preferences.

Not a mega money signing, but for a fair price I don't see a reason not to take him. He also looks like the kind of player who will go up a gear around better players, so what you buy might be a fraction of what you actually get with him. Ego and desire for a huge contract should surely be seen as positive drivers because via performance, he gets what he wants as do the club.
He played a lot against my boys Wycombe when at Peterborough. He was always horribly arrogant, petulant and a right arse.
I think he's a massive pen stat padding average Joe, who I'd be horrified for us to whack big money on personally.

Other views are available.

Remember the geese

He played a lot against my boys Wycombe when at Peterborough. He was always horribly arrogant, petulant and a right arse.
I think he's a massive pen stat padding average Joe, who I'd be horrified for us to whack big money on personally.

You're right. The guy is a prize bell. I remember him from school. He was the same then.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

I also got that impression from his interview with Steven Bartlett. I went into that vid expecting to feel sorry for him and came out thinking he's just thick and arrogant. He's talented, buy not the character I would want as a senior player at the club.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

For example, our new recruitment function might value Toney at £30m but Brentford will likely want £50-60m. What our new recruitment function will/should do is say no to Brentford and quickly move on to our next target, rather than fannying about for the whole summer negotiating on a single target and then on deadline day (or after we’ve been pumped in our first games again) paying the £60m.

For what it’s worth I think Toney’s probably a £60m player if he has 2+ years on his contract. With just 1 year I think £40m is very fair.
Yes and no. At face value you're right of course however a top notch structure can work in mysterious ways or as I like to call it the Real Madrid way.

Let's say that Toney becomes really really 'stubborn' on his move to United. He'll tell Brentford that either he moves to United or he will stay at his club and see out the rest of his contract there. He might even throw a fit or three as well stinking the whole place and making it impossible for Brentford to utilize. Suddenly that becomes a seller's market rather then a buyer's market.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Toney for £35m would be about as far as I’d go for him. Given age, history and year left on his contract.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Nunez is good in the build up. Yes he takes some poor touches, but unlike Haaland he puts his movement and intensity to good use for build up as well as getting on the end of things. he makes stuff happen for his team mates too. He can still improve, but he's well better at it now than when he arrived.

Steve 007

Toney for £35m would be about as far as I’d go for him. Given age, history and year left on his contract.
Ivan Toney is 28, that’s prime for a striker but you’ve realistically got 4-5 years. I believe we could get 12 out of Hojilund and he could be one of the best. A top manager can manage more than one top striker. Some can’t, and would bench Hojilund for instant success.
I think we will move for a striker from the French league again, from all Radcliffes noise he doesn’t want to buy success, he wants to build it. Top football people bringing in the top undiscovered talent.

Steve 007

Cloud cuckoo land prices. They’d get 50-60m from Arsenal or Chelsea. Match it if you want him
Probably more, prices are ridiculous, it’s no longer a case of walking for cheap when you have a year left. Look at Kane, he’s one of the best but has a few years left at his peak and has no resale value.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Cloud cuckoo land prices. They’d get 50-60m from Arsenal or Chelsea. Match it if you want him
I think he’ll go for £57m.

I don’t know that he’s worth that if he’s not coming in to be guaranteed first choice.