g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ivan Toney Pt.2

Redstain

Hojlund is only worth £80m because we were stupid/desperate enough to pay it. He was touted at £30m-£40m before the window. Toney is more realistically a £70m player.
Which is true but if Brentford have any nous in negotiations they demand 100M because of the Hojlund deal. The only way United get any value with Toney is if his contract is close to expiry. The same thing will happen if United purchased a winger from another PL club the Antony transfer comes into play.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Which is true but if Brentford have any nous in negotiations they demand 100M because of the Hojlund deal. The only way United get any value with Toney is if his contract is close to expiry. The same thing will happen if United purchased a winger from another PL club the Antony transfer comes into play.
Yup, we have royally screwed ourselves and our reputation in the market with these stupid deals, and it will be very difficult to right the situation.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He can take a lot of pressure out of Rasmus, is PL proven and I guess him playing 50-60 minutes and a Rasmus the rest would make sense.

It’s more realistic and attainable than M’Bappe/Osimhen.
Well that’s easy because on planet earth we aren’t after either of those

United888

Who is that player that can compete with him and help to take the pressure off?
Well, I don't know what is the best option between:
1. Should we spend 100m on Toney and starts him most games because you shouldn't spend 100m on a 27 years old striker just to be a rotation option with 21 years old striker. Or
2. Develop Hojlund by playing him a lot of games and sign cheaper striker to provide him a competition so we have someone else that we can rely on if Hojlund is underperforming.

There is no such a thing called pressure off when playing for Man United regardless option 1 or 2. We have given him big pressure after we spent huge on him anyway.

May be someone like Dominic Calvert Lewin (contract expired in 2025) who is proven PL striker who scored 13 league goals and 16 league goals in a season before can be a cheaper striker to provide competition for Hojlund.

croadyman

Well, I don't know what is the best option between:
1. Should we spend 100m on Toney and starts him most games because you shouldn't spend 100m on a 27 years old striker just to be a rotation option with 21 years old striker. Or
2. Develop Hojlund by playing him a lot of games and sign cheaper striker to provide him a competition so we have someone else that we can rely on if Hojlund is underperforming.

There is no such a thing called pressure off when playing for Man United regardless option 1 or 2. We have given him big pressure after we spent huge on him anyway.

May be someone like Dominic Calvert Lewin (contract expired in 2025) who is proven PL striker who scored 13 league goals and 16 league goals in a season before can be a cheaper striker to provide competition for Hojlund.
When he first signed I was all for option 2,however now I am moving more towards option 1 but don't see us doing that for two reasons. The first being our FFP situation and the second because they won't want to be seen as just discarding him.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's a moron. He came out saying he'd prove his doubters wrong. Who was ever doubting him?!

Savlehest

If anyone would spend a huge amount of money on a betting coupon, it will be us. And he will properly fall into some problems and can’t score.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Great player but clearly a tosser. Would stay well away.

The Urban Goose

He'll score a hat trick at the weekend, go to Arsenal and then flop harder than Bastian Schweinsteiger did with us.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
:lol: He loves himself doesn't he? There is being confident and then there's being Toney. I remember when there was that video of him saying Feck Brentford too. Does have it in him to play for a top club I think but his attitude stinks.

SteveCoppellFan

Hang on, I thought he said he owed Brentford and would help them stay up ?

That was like a few days ago, now he is saying he could be tempted to leave ?

Hmmm

Lyng

Fantastic striker but seems like the kind of character we shouldn't add to the squad right now.

aeh1991

A hard no. I'd spend those 80-100m Brenford would demand on someone else. Let Arsenal or Spurs have him.

Robbie Boy

Comes across as a right prick. I also don't think he's nearly as good as he's made out to be.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
He’s pretty much exactly what we need. Just a shame about all the controversy surrounding him, maybe the club will want to steer clear.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Shame that we are not even thinking (or having funds) to sign him. He is nearly everything what you want from no9.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Shame that we are not even thinking (or having funds) to sign him. He is nearly everything what you want from no9.
Not all about the player though. It’s about the right character in the dressing room…

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Didn't watch the game but the fact that he completed a full 90mins after that time out shows all the character I need.

NICanRed

My commentators were lauding him as a returning hero. Brief mention of a suspension but no explanation as to why! When I was a kid we used to say "cheaters never win".
He might be fairly (no pun intended!) good but I don't want him around.