Jürgen Klopp Sack Watch

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Their best players have either left (Mane) or are declining rapidly (VVD, Salah) and their transfers in the last few years have been really poor compared to the few before it. They’re a shadow of the team they were last year.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It goes unnoticed but he doesn't give a shit for young players. He just moans for new transfers despite having young players in team.
He bought another left winger despite having Carvalho. He wants mc despite having Elliot and Jones.
Guy has 6 expensive attackers ffs

Hughie77

Won't get sack, they've just backed him In January. It's been coming this has, Mane went, Salah isn't the same without him that's apparent, Henderson on wane VVD same after his injury. TTA didn't feature for England . They wernt great v Foxes .

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Their best players have either left (Mane) or are declining rapidly (VVD, Salah) and their transfers in the last few years have been really poor compared to the few before it. They’re a shadow of the team they were last year.
So were City in 19/20 after two phenomenal seasons in 17/18 and 18/19. And even last year for us, even though we competed on four fronts until the very last day, the cracks were already showing.

I don't think it's that much of a disaster season as some people are making it out to be, but will be interesting to see if Klopp can rally the troops once again with some fresh faces next season. If he can't, I can see us parting ways at some point during the season already.

Also disagree that the transfers have been poor. Diaz was a hit, Thiago was awesome for big parts of last season, Konate is young and promising, ... Nunez could've been better obviously but still think he'll come good next season, and Gakpo is of course also a promising signing. It's just that they look a bit more ordinary than let's say the Mane or Salah signings, but no one would have predicted back then that they would turn into the superstars that they were during our succesful seasons either. They were outliers imo.

Massive Spanner

So were City in 19/20 after two phenomenal seasons in 17/18 and 18/19. And even last year for us, even though we competed on four fronts until the very last day, the cracks were already showing.

I don't think it's that much of a disaster season as some people are making it out to be, but will be interesting to see if Klopp can rally the troops once again with some fresh faces next season. If he can't, I can see us parting ways at some point during the season already.

Also disagree that the transfers have been poor. Diaz was a hit, Thiago was awesome for big parts of last season, Konate is young and promising, ... Nunez could've been better obviously but still think he'll come good next season, and Gakpo is of course also a promising signing. It's just that they look a bit more ordinary than let's say the Mane or Salah signings, but no one would have predicted back then that they would turn into the superstars that they were during our succesful seasons either. They were outliers imo.
City have near infinite resources though and a younger team.

the squad just looks old and incapable of the football Klopp wants anymore, that’s the biggest issue. There’s a big rebuild job required.

arthurka

What's with those Thiago bullshit? He has mastered strolling around the pitch while looking super surprised.

Tony Clifton

I bet Klopp is going to reference that Everton penalty from a few seasons ago…2018?

He will moan about how it was a penalty back then whilst no foul was given today for that gentle backstroke on Konaté.

Teja

I kept harping on about how their current side has reached their peak and it'll be a fairly rapid decline but was laughed off. This happens to almost every coach / side in world football bar a few truly exceptional ones like Fergie / Utd.

Klopp's a great coach and they're lucky to have him. Once that is in place, the rebuild should be easy enough. What will really cause problems is if Klopp leaves and the next guy is a flop.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Their midfield is the biggest problem. I honestly cannot remember the last time Fabinho had a top tier performance; Harvey Elliott seems to get in by default (because it’s certainly not on merit); Thiago is alright but his you-touch-I-touch doesn’t cover the shortcomings of the rest of the team.

Super physically weak midfield without any goals or creativity in it.

Guy Incognito

He squeezed every last drop out of that squad last season.

Needs more juice. The midfield is their biggest issue imo.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
City have near infinite resources though and a younger team.

the squad just looks old and incapable of the football Klopp wants anymore, that’s the biggest issue. There’s a big rebuild job required.
Back then they didn't. Aguero, Fernandinho, Kompany, Zabaleta, who else did feature on a regular basis I dunno but I vaguely remember that a lot on here thought they had an aging squad and were facing a difficult rebuild - then one year later all was solved. Indeed partially down to their resources so not entirely comparable. We're facing an important offseason, that's for sure. If we can bring in some quality youth in our midfield, I'm still optimistic for next season. Diaz - Nunez - Gakpo is a front three with average age of just 24.6 years old at the start of next season.

We'll see how it goes. Seasons like this one make you appreciate the great ones even more though, that's for sure :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
What's with those Thiago bullshit? He has mastered strolling around the pitch while looking super surprised.
He was amongst our best players in a lot of games last season. He's certainly not the problem or the reason it isn't clicking anymore. Taking into account his fee and performances, I'd say it was a good transfer - not a great one by any means, but he'd have had to be dogshit every game for him not to return on his €25m fee and that certainly isn't the case.

Massive Spanner

Back then they didn't. Aguero, Fernandinho, Kompany, Zabaleta, who else did feature on a regular basis I dunno but I vaguely remember that a lot on here thought they had an aging squad and were facing a difficult rebuild - then one year later all was solved. Indeed partially down to their resources so not entirely comparable. We're facing an important offseason, that's for sure. If we can bring in some quality youth in our midfield, I'm still optimistic for next season. Diaz - Nunez - Gakpo is a front three with average age of just 24.6 years old at the start of next season.

We'll see how it goes. Seasons like this one make you appreciate the great ones even more though, that's for sure :lol:
I just mean it’s much easier for City to rebuild their squad than it will be for Liverpool. Surely that’s obvious. They’re also incredible at thinking ahead and building for the future which is part of why they’ve been so consistent the last decade (and Pep helps). I don’t think you can use them as an example.

I’d be worried if I were you, I think there’s a proper rebuild required to challenge again. Klopp is incredible so it’ll probably happen eventually if he sticks around though.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Shades of us towards the end of Sir Alex's reign with an ageing squad and holes starting to appear. All we need now is for their manager to leave.

Jezpeza

Reminded me of Liverpool of old today. Playing the ball side to side in front of the opposition all night without a shade of cutting edge.

TheReligion

Abusive

That front there sounds very average though and both Gakpo and Diaz play on the left dont they? What about Salah?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That front there sounds very average though and both Gakpo and Diaz play on the left dont they? What about Salah?
Depends on how much you believe in them, I guess.

Just included those three to argue that we don't necessarily need a refresh in all areas of the field. Neither Gakpo nor Diaz has any trouble playing on the right should Salah continue his poor form.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I kept harping on about how their current side has reached their peak and it'll be a fairly rapid decline but was laughed off. This happens to almost every coach / side in world football bar a few truly exceptional ones like Fergie / Utd.

Klopp's a great coach and they're lucky to have him. Once that is in place, the rebuild should be easy enough. What will really cause problems is if Klopp leaves and the next guy is a flop.
You were probably laughed at as they came within inches of winning the quadruple last year.
I'm all for enjoying their decline, and this season is brilliant so far, but be cautious.

TheReligion

Abusive
Depends on how much you believe in them, I guess.

Just included those three to argue that we don't necessarily need a refresh in all areas of the field. Neither Gakpo nor Diaz has any trouble playing on the right should Salah continue his poor form.
You’d be playing Gakpo and Diaz out of position on the right.

Gakpo has only played there 20 times in his career, Diaz 5.

Think this is why it didn’t make much sense United getting Gakpo but also a strange one for you.

arthurka

He was amongst our best players in a lot of games last season. He's certainly not the problem or the reason it isn't clicking anymore. Taking into account his fee and performances, I'd say it was a good transfer - not a great one by any means, but he'd have had to be dogshit every game for him not to return on his €25m fee and that certainly isn't the case.
Ok give you that..

cyberman

Klopp will spend 10 minutes not answering one question here then leave

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

The PL is by far the most physically demanding league in the world and the PL of the last 6-7 years in particular has taken that dynamic to a new level because the majority of sides play an up-and-down pressing game to some degree. I don't think there has ever been a football league as physically demanding as the PL is right now.

The age curve is very sharp in this environment and most players drop off pretty sharply around 30-32. If you have a whole side of players in that age cohort, it can get ugly fast.

Liverpool was also arguably even more susceptible to this problem because Klopp's tactics depend on playing high-intensity football and having superior athletes in the middle of the park to win a lot of duels. Good luck with that when all your players have lost a step and every side you're playing is now younger and more athletic.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The PL is by far the most physically demanding league in the world and the PL of the last 6-7 years in particular has taken that dynamic to a new level because the majority of sides play an up-and-down pressing game to some degree. I don't think there has ever been a football league as physically demanding as the PL is right now.

The age curve is very sharp in this environment and most players drop off pretty sharply around 30-32. If you have a whole side of players in that age cohort, it can get ugly fast.

Liverpool was also arguably even more susceptible to this problem because Klopp's tactics depend on playing high-intensity football and having superior athletes in the middle of the park to win a lot of duels. Good luck with that when all your players have lost a step and every side you're playing is now younger and more athletic.
True, they needed a new Henderson and Fabinho a few years ago to bed in to the team. Winaldum fecked off, Keita was crap, Tiago isn’t that type of player and Elliot doesn’t seem to be either. Ndidi would have been a great summer signing imho when Leicester were desperate for money, could have slotted right into that midfield and spared Fabinho’s legs a bit

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Liverpool will regret not winning more with what was their best team in decades, nobody can deny they were a great side but 1 UCL + 1 EPL in 5 or so years is a bit underwhelming on paper, another UCL title or a couple of EPL trophies would have done wonders for their legacy.