Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

montpelier

Klopp oversells everything. It's all part of his management schtick. He does it very well, too.

Mcking

Uh .. you qualify for the CL via what you did the previous season, and then you go through a groups stage and multiple knockout games to reach the final. You don't get to just play a one off game to win a trophy.

The super cup is a one off game you get to by virtue of winning another trophy. Hence why a vast majority of fans don't take it seriously as a proper cup, regardless of what UEFA brand it in order to make it more attractive.

It's a nice European season opener, nothing more and nothing less.
The Super Cup goes straight to the final because there's two teams. You go through the group stage and play multiple knockout games in the UCL because it's a 32-team competition, and the 32 teams has to be brought down to two teams in order for them to contest the final. An English team qualifies for the UCL by finishing top four in the preceding BPL season and an English team qualifies for the UEFA Super Cup by winning the UCL or UEL in the preceding season. Teams aren't just picked from a hat as is the case in friendlies, and you have to achieve something specific to qualify for it the next season. There aren't much difference between the three UEFA club comps except the fact that some are more prestigious than the others.
Bottomline is that the UEFA Super Cup is an official UEFA club comp, and it should be recognized for what it is. There's no shame in celebrating winning it as you'd celebrate winning the most prestigious trophies.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Breathtaking manager. We lost out. Making caf minus Kevin look stupid.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I am happy we won. It's probably the least significant of 'proper' trophies one can win, but not that much less so than the league cup.

I was delighted when we won it in 2001 and happy for it in 05.

In contrast, the only time I've been fussed about winning a charity shield was under rafa against chelsea. And that was basically only because we fielded our reserves, Mourinho played a full strength team and we still beat Chelsea anyway.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I am happy we won. It's probably the least significant of 'proper' trophies one can win, but not that much less so than the league cup.

I was delighted when we won it in 2001 and happy for it in 05.

In contrast, the only time I've been fussed about winning a charity shield was under rafa against chelsea. And that was basically only because we fielded our reserves, Mourinho played a full strength team and we still beat Chelsea anyway.
So supercup is better than League cup? If the logic is you have to win CL or Europa league to play in league Cup then Charity shield should be rated higher than League cup and FA Cup.

roonster09

Scout
To win the Super Cup you have to win the CL or EL
To win Charity shield, you should win league or FA Cup, or finish 2nd if league champions wins the FA Cup. Doesn't mean it's not very small trophy to win.

roonster09

Scout
Well, plenty of posters here on the Caf were including the Community Shield as a trophy in 2016/17 when Utd won it. Can't really fault Liverpool fans for including the Super Cup as a trophy as well.
I didn't see anyone celebrating "Treble" in 2007-08, 2008-09 and few more seasons when we won CS along with league and domestic trophy.

I think 2008-09 we won quadruple then, League + League Cup + CS + Club world cup.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
So supercup is better than League cup? If the logic is you have to win CL or Europa league to play in league Cup then Charity shield should be rated higher than League cup and FA Cup.
Erh no.

I said the league cup is still better.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I didn't see anyone celebrating "Treble" in 2007-08, 2008-09 and few more seasons when we won CS along with league and domestic trophy.

I think 2008-09 we won quadruple then, League + League Cup + CS + Club world cup.
:rolleyes: There is only one treble, and only one quadruple for English clubs. Everyone with half a braincell knows that.

Doesn’t mean the Super Cup isn’t a trophy, and I’d class it way ahead the Community Shield.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
The Super Cup and The CS are not trophies that mean anything, the games are treated as Glorified friendlies.

Are they nice to win? Yes
Is it devastating if you lose? No

roonster09

Scout
:rolleyes: There is only one treble, and only one quadruple for English clubs. Everyone with half a braincell knows that.

Doesn’t mean the Super Cup isn’t a trophy, and I’d class it way ahead the Community Shield.
Yeah no one said it's not a trophy.

Wonder which English team won the quadruple.

Thisistheone

Its a trophy no doubt but 120 minutes in that heat, if they drop points at Southampton on Saturday then last night will have done more harm than good.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
The Super Cup and The CS are not trophies that mean anything, the games are treated as Glorified friendlies.
CS yes.

When was the last time a super cup was treated as a glorified friendly though? The only time I can recall teams fielding anything less than their strongest side was Real Madrid in 2016.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
CS yes.

When was the last time a super cup was treated as a glorified friendly though? The only time I can recall teams fielding anything less than their strongest side was Real Madrid in 2016.
You win it, you can claim whatever you want.

In the big scheme though, it’s not as important as any domestic trophy or the Europa and UCL.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
You win it, you can claim whatever you want.

In the big scheme though, it’s not as important as any domestic trophy or the Europa and UCL.
Sure. It's the least of the trophies worth counting.

Not sure the league cup is that much more noteworthy though. But that perhaps also speaks to its increasing irrelevance.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Sure. It's the least of the trophies worth counting.

Not sure the league cup is that much more noteworthy though. But that perhaps also speaks to its increasing irrelevance.
The League Cup is significant. Look at the past winners, not much outside the top 5/6

B20

Supports
Liverpool
The League Cup is significant. Look at the past winners, not much outside the top 5/6
It's subjective of course, but the only times I've given more than two fecks about the league cup were seasons were we had nothing else to play for.

I'd rather 'win' top four. Would still take the FA Cup over that though.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
CS yes.

All the time, there is no prize money for winning it. The winner of it doesn't advance to the Club World Cup as that spot is already given to the the CL winner.

I wanted us to win it in 08 and 17 but in the grand scheme of things the defeats meant nothing.

It is the CS of the European Cup winners nothing more.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
All the time, there is no prize money for winning it. The winner of it doesn't advance to the Club World Cup as that spot is already given to the the CL winner.

I wanted us to win it in 08 and 17 but in the grand scheme of things the defeats meant nothing.

It is the CS of the European Cup winners nothing more.
Well it does mean one thing. The trophy tally comparison just went up to 46-45. :angel:

QoS

Supports
Liverpool
Let's just end this debate, the charity shield is not even recognised as a competitive fixture. The super cup is.

Having said that it's probably the most irrelevant of all the actual trophies out there. Probably rank it alongside the league cup. (Which I dont mind when we go out every year). Never the less it's still nice to win. An make no mistake about it every team who competes in it, wants to win 100%.

Also I'm sure there was a 9 mil euro prize pool for it. 5 to the winner and 4 to the runner up I'm sure. So to say there is 0 prize pool is just a blatant lie.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So, they chose to include the one trophy that isn't even recognised as a competitive game as a trophy. Must have been written by a united fan.
Which ever way you want to paint it we're still ahead

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Which ever way you want to paint it we're still ahead
No. Counting actual recognised competitive trophies, it's 46-45.

We can also stay safe and just count the two big ones. That brings it to 24-23.

charlenefan

No. Counting actual recognised competitive trophies, it's 46-45.

We can also stay safe and just count the two big ones. That brings it to 24-23.
What exactly are you classing a competitive trophies? Name them

charlenefan

United fans who counted the community shield as a trophy were embarrassing and Liverpool fans who are counting the Super Cup as a trophy are also embarrassing.

And yes, before someone says it .. counting the Audi Cup would be even worse.
There's no black and white answer to it imo

You dont count the Community Shield as a trophy at the end of a season imo, so 16/17 for example we didn't win 3 trophies we won 2. However I see no problem including them when you total up everything a club has won in their history

Giggsyking

Ahead of the 2016 FA Community Shield against Manchester United, Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri asked, "Why do you say this question, a friendly? When is the Community Shield a friendly? Of course we will be at the maximum and Manchester United will be at their maximum.
What goes for the community shield goes for the super cup. Easy. Looserpool fans can say whatever they want.

"Sorry, it’s a pre-season friendly? That’s how you see it in this country? Nobody told me that so far,” Klopp said.
“I don’t know why people play this competition if it means nothing, why don’t we cancel it then?
“I will ask the club exactly how it is, what it will mean in the history of the club.”

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Let's have it right, community shield stopped counting as a trophy after United had won more of them than Liverpool.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
What exactly are you classing a competitive trophies? Name them
The ones classed by FIFA/UEFA as competitive games.

The charity/community shield is literally a friendly played for charity. It's no different than the other friendly 'tournaments' hosted during the summer.

edit: turns out that is no longer the case and it is recognised by uefa as a competive game and trophy.

Last edited:

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
To me there are four important trophies; Premier league, Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup. Europa League is after these for me, as the best teams are not in it, but it counts.

Charity Shields, Super Cups, Club World Cup, are show games for me. Nice to win, as it probably means something for some of the players and fans, but come on.. It is not comparable to the importance if a League Cup. Saturday against Southampton is far more important than yesterday imo.

romufc

Europa League is after these for me, as the best teams are not in it, but it counts
Europa League under League cup? Deluded much? Europa League provides clubs the chance to get into top 4. Look at the teams who have won it in the last few years.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
The ones classed by FIFA/UEFA as competitive games.

The charity/community shield is literally a friendly played for charity. It's no different than the other friendly 'tournaments' hosted during the summer.

edit: turns out that is no longer the case and it is recognised by uefa as a competive game and trophy.
But isn't the community shield the supercup equivalent in other countries, in which the league winner faces the cup winner? If yes it should be acknowledged as an official trophy like everywhere else.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Europa League under League cup? Deluded much? Europa League provides clubs the chance to get into top 4. Look at the teams who have won it in the last few years.
I gave you my reasons for looking at it that way. You can have another oponion and it's fine, but no need for the deluded nonsense.

Raw

I think this discussion is worth a new thread IMO.

I'd go PL = CL > FA Cup > Europa League > League Cup > Club World Cup > Super Cup > Community Shield