Jack Grealish | Euro 2020/1

BFernandes

You cannot take the ball off him unless you foul him. It is impossible. Why would this not be an attribute to admire?

He is a true entertainer, but very capable of adhering to a team's shape and style. It's a true mystery the way he's been overlooked in this tournament.
Impossible?

I would say he's been criminally underused though.

Godfather

Frankly I don't really get the "made a difference" posts. I rate him very highly but apart from giving the ball away and getting fouled he really didn't do much yesterday.

Boycott

I think he's a good player but the hype around him these few weeks have been insane. This piece was done after the Scotland game but I still think it is accurate.

https://www.racingpost.com/sport/ir...puzzled-by-the-hype-over-jack-grealish/496986

Presumably there are still people who only watch televised football when there are World Cup or European Championship finals taking place.

I was reminded of these folk during England's Group D clash with Scotland last Friday as the excitement about Jack Grealish's possible introduction from the bench reached fever pitch among the ITV pundits.

Lee Dixon wanted Grealish on the pitch. So badly. As a Scotsman, Ally McCoist was terrified of the Aston Villa dynamo coming on.

Ian Wright had been calling for Gareth Southgate to make the substitution since midway through the pre-match anthems. And the Grealish hype was even affecting Roy Keane, who appeared to be on the brink of muttering "he's actually not a bad player" – giddy hyperbole from the glowering Irishman.

For viewers who hadn't been following Grealish's rise over the past few years, this must have been like the build-up to the introduction of Hannibal Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs or the first sighting of the T-Rex in Jurassic Park.

What must they have been expecting? Would the England backroom staff wheel a specially-designed mobile cage down the touchline, with trained handlers in attendance, to release this mythical, defence-crushing monster who can make even a jovial, twinkle-eyed raconteur like McCoist turn deadly serious.

Instead, up pops some apple-cheeked lad with a haircut from the 1990s and a dribbling style from the 1950s whose main contribution is to get kicked to the floor every three or four minutes.

I think he's a good player but the hype around him these few weeks have been insane. This piece was done after the Scotland game but I still think it is accurate.

https://www.racingpost.com/sport/ir...puzzled-by-the-hype-over-jack-grealish/496986
he’s definitely a good player. But you are right, the hype has been insane. You would think he’s a Gazza/ Maradona hybrid.

classic case of a player getting better the less he plays.

personally I’d have played him more, but he wouldn’t have suddenly turned England into a team that beats everyone by a landslide.

Boycott

He reminds me of the ex Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb who was an easy on the eye player and blessed with great balance and quick feet to turn away from players in tight spaces. But that was about it in terms of high level ability. He wasn't quick enough to beat players in a foot race so he was not deployed on the wing out of preference and his passing was good but not special to unlock defences.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
The furore around him is really quite odd considering the outright hatred Sterling often receives. I have absolutely zero doubts if he did become a regular he too would become a figure of hate and all those who mindlessly cheer for him now would be complaining "all he does is hold on the ball too long".

Certainly a very talented player and useful part of the squad but its odd how he's become portrayed as this Pele-esque talent. Desperately needs to join a club like Man City if he really wants to fulfill his potential.

b82REZ

I feel like there's been a brief from Channel execs to push him as the new face of English football. The fawning over him is becoming a bit nauseating and I really rate the lad.

Judas

Open to offers
It's got a bit comical to the point where when he gets on the pitch I'm half expecting him to seal dribble it into the oppositions box, flick it up, and then do a complete 360 bicycle kick into the top corner to match the quite bonkers build up to his entry to every game. And this coming from a Grealish fan! Think he's brilliant, gutted he'll never play for Utd.

Will the over the top affection be the same if/when he joins City in a few weeks?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It’s quite amusing that the first thing he invariably does after being swept onto the pitch on a wave of delirious emotion, is dribble into a blind alley and lose the ball… I think pretty much every game.

His subbing off last night literacy killed the atmosphere stone dead for a moment. It was like they’d scored.

Judas

Open to offers
It’s quite amusing that the first thing he invariably does after being swept onto the pitch on a wave of delirious emotion, is dribble into a blind alley and lose the ball… I think pretty much every game.

His subbing off last night literacy killed the atmosphere stone dead for a moment. It was like they’d scored.
:lol: its so true. I don't think the hysteria is helping his football at all to be honest. He's got some key assists, but he's not been the Villa Grealish overall. He's trying too much and attempting to be the saviour each time he comes on.

Banana Republic

I don’t pretend to know enough about Grealish’s ability, although I’ve watched quite a few Villa games on TV and watched every England game he’s featured in.
I really don’t know what to make of him?
He’s definitely very talented at dribbling and retaining the ball under pressure, but I don't see a lot of end product.
It all looks very exciting when he’s driving an attack, but most of it ends up with him on the floor and winning a free kick, or he just ends up losing possession or running out of options.
I can see why lots of footie fans, journalists and pundits rate him, but I have to wonder if it’s just football eye candy, with no real substance?
I’m open minded at the moment, but remain to be convinced.

dbs235

:lol: its so true. I don't think the hysteria is helping his football at all to be honest. He's got some key assists, but he's not been the Villa Grealish overall. He's trying too much and attempting to be the saviour each time he comes on.
Which is why he should be starting, instead of bringing him on with 20 minutes to go and expecting him to win the game for us.

dbs235

He's making things happen as an impact sub though, it's working. He won't be starting the final, quite obviously.
It's also works when he starts too. Yeah no chance he starts in the final, most likely comes on at 65 minutes when it's either 0-0 or 1-0 to Italy.

El Jefe

I've often spoken about how overrated he is on here and by England fans in general but Southgate is not helping him. He brings him on only when the team is desperate for a goal. He hasn't been allowed to grow and develop with the team as he has done with other players. Still seems a bit mental that Grealish and Sancho can barely get reasonable minutes but that's for another thread.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
You cannot take the ball off him unless you foul him. It is impossible. Why would this not be an attribute to admire?

He is a true entertainer, but very capable of adhering to a team's shape and style. It's a true mystery the way he's been overlooked in this tournament.
Came here to post this. He wins fouls because that's the only way to stop him. Surely that's a commendable attribute? How many other players can you say that of?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Not sure if his substitution last night didn't took a toll on him: he was not happy coming out.

AgentSmith

Southgate never really seemed interested in trying to integrate Grealish into the starting XI and was happy to stick with the goal scoring reliability of Sterling/Kane and the tactical utility of Mount. The former choice has clearly paid dividends but the latter hasn’t and the quality of our general play has suffered slightly for it.

Our results haven’t though so it’s hard to criticise Southgate too much despite this squad being potentially capable of a higher and more complete level of performance imo.

Boycott

Came here to post this. He wins fouls because that's the only way to stop him. Surely that's a commendable attribute? How many other players can you say that of?
Stop him from what?

The way people go on about this fouling statistic gives the impression if it is not for those wretched challenges then he would be going on mazy runs towards goal all the time. But that's not the case at all. A lot of the time I see him get fouled is simply because he runs in blind alleys or goes in circles near the half way line which is not threatening at all. He does have very good agility and strength to shield the ball and a nice bit of flair to turn away from markers but to me he doesn't use those qualities enough and too often looks for the foul*. He doesn't exactly try to stay on his feet when there's contact.

*Kane also searches for fouls too much for my liking.

Red00012

He gave the ball away numerous times last night :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
He is the player version of Pocchettino. For some very weird reasons, he has a **** in the Caf, despite that well, he still has to do anything of note in his career.

Alexander Hleb comparison was spot on, though to be fair to Hleb, he was good for more than 6 months.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Stop him from what?

The way people go on about this fouling statistic gives the impression if it is not for those wretched challenges then he would be going on mazy runs towards goal all the time. But that's not the case at all. A lot of the time I see him get fouled is simply because he runs in blind alleys or goes in circles near the half way line which is not threatening at all. He does have very good agility and strength to shield the ball and a nice bit of flair to turn away from markers but to me he doesn't use those qualities enough and too often looks for the foul*. He doesn't exactly try to stay on his feet when there's contact.

*Kane also searches for fouls too much for my liking.
Most of the fouls against him are because he goes past the player and they pull him back or clip his heels. Surely if he wasn't that threatening, there would be no need to do that and they could just let him go?

He played 35 minutes, and only Luke Shaw had more progressive carries of the ball (11 vs his 10) and he had more carries into the penalty box than any other player from either team (4). That is invaluable. He either moves the ball up the pitch, or he gets fouled and England have a set piece opportunity. I can't see how that's anything other than advantageous.

dal

He reminds me of the ex Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb who was an easy on the eye player and blessed with great balance and quick feet to turn away from players in tight spaces. But that was about it in terms of high level ability. He wasn't quick enough to beat players in a foot race so he was not deployed on the wing out of preference and his passing was good but not special to unlock defences.
he’s got two assists (penalty and assist to Kane). He’s played 153 minutes of football, he is not Alexander Hleb, he is outstanding.

He is not used enough, he is the probably the best ball carrier in the world. He is a difference maker, he takes the absoloute piss.

He’s Southgate go to sub when we are in trouble over Foden. I’d start him in the final but as Southgate doesn’t like him defensively I actually think Southgate will start Rashford here with Sterling on the right.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
He is the player version of Pocchettino. For some very weird reasons, he has a **** in the Caf, despite that well, he still has to do anything of note in his career.

Alexander Hleb comparison was spot on, though to be fair to Hleb, he was good for more than 6 months.
I feel you, the pandemic has been rough and 2019 feels like it was 6 months ago.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Which is why he should be starting, instead of bringing him on with 20 minutes to go and expecting him to win the game for us.
Exactly this. If he started, he wouldn't feel the pressure of the cameos.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton

Grealish is not maradona but he's brilliant. Would be walk into any top 4 side.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
he’s got two assists (penalty and assist to Kane). He’s played 153 minutes of football, he is not Alexander Hleb, he is outstanding.

He is not used enough, he is the probably the best ball carrier in the world
. He is a difference maker, he takes the absoloute piss.

He’s Southgate go to sub when we are in trouble over Foden. I’d start him in the final but as Southgate doesn’t like him defensively I actually think Southgate will start Rashford here with Sterling on the right.
Hahahahaha

I like Grealish but damn, reading this, one will think we're talking about a Ballon d'or contender.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Hahahahaha

I like Grealish but damn, reading this, one will think we're talking about a Ballon d'or contender.
Quite a reach. You can be the best at 1 particular thing and be very good without being a Ballon D'or contender.

dal

Hahahahaha

I never said he was ballon dor material but if he was playing at a top club he might be.

I think you are reaching a bit here, the guys a baller he has outstanding ability.

Top pundits drool over him because they know the game.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I never said he was ballon dor material but if he was playing at a top club he might be.

I think you are reaching a bit here, the guys a baller he has outstanding ability.

Top pundits drool over him because they know the game.
I never said he wasn't a good player (and potentially a great one), but as of now, he isn't the best at anything and there are a lot of players above him.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Frankly I don't really get the "made a difference" posts. I rate him very highly but apart from giving the ball away and getting fo
Why did he seem a bit off vs Denmark?
He did well in some moments and also bad in some. Major problem with him was try to do much on his own instead of playing one two with other players in congested areas.

When he played one two he created chance for kane. That's where his strength was instead he tried to take on two three players at same time and losing the possession often.

His big part against germany too came from playing one two and bring other players into play he gradually got space to create big impact. If he didn't he always struggled by taking on too many players.

Simbo

Thinking back, did he at least free up Sterling when he came on? Felt like we actually had a striker on the pitch during that spell.

Classical Mechanic

Article in The Athletic about him, Southgate and why he isn’t in the team to the bafflement of his **** members.

Key points are:

1. defensive work off the ball, he doesn’t press hard enough and makes the wrong decision in the defensive phase too often
2. Southgate doesn’t really think that he’s better than the other options in Sterling, Rashford and Sancho
3. Southgate has his favourite players which includes Sterling who plays in what Southgate sees as Grealish’s best position on the left
4. Grealish sees himself as a 10 and Southgate doesn’t
5. Grealish had a poor relationship with Andy Boothroyd in the u21s, article speculates that Boothroyd was negative to Southgate in his assessment of Jack from the start
6. Grealish is in a gang of football friends that call themselves ‘the Avengers’ it includes James Maddison, John McGinn, Chilwell and a few others. They like to party.
7. His runs with the law recently

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Did Hleb single handedly keep a really mediocre team up twice?

It's weird after ages of people underrating Grealish, the talk is now about how he's overrated. Like it's fashionable. Like pretending to hate Friends.