Jack Grealish | Euro 2020/1

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think the difference was primarily Southgate finally taking the handbrake off the attack. The tactical change enabled by the introduction of Grealish was key. Prior to that, there was no real link between midfield and attack and Kane was completely isolated. Saka and Sterling did fine on an individual basis, but there was no cohesion in their play. Grealish simply gelled that attack together and allowed both Sterling and Kane to play to their strengths, rather than struggling to impact the play with both assuming no 10 duties before the substitute.

Lynty

Quality player and was part of the difference maker for England winning it but, what is really irking me is the fawning of him coming on being the big difference. Shaw had same contributions to the 2 goals, a cross and a key pass - that was very well threaded through with the outside of his foot but, Shaw also broke up the play smartly at midfield and carried it all the way to the 18 leading up to the second.

Now that Germany are knocked out (sad face) - do hope Grealish starts against Ukraine, will need someone that can take players on and disrupt defensive shape as well as win fouls in key areas for what will be a very defensive setup.
You're right Shaw did influence the game. But Grealish was the 'game changer'.

When a player comes on with 20 minutes to go and directly inputs into 2 wining goals - they deservedly get the plaudits. Shaw was on from the start and had a good game. Grealish comes on with limited time and England automatically start to create more chances. He quite literally changed the game - whether he played better than Shaw or not.

When a player comes on with 20 minutes to go and directly inputs into 2 wining goals - they deservedly get the plaudits. Shaw was on from the start and had a good game. Grealish comes on with limited time and England automatically start to create more chances. He quite literally changed the game - whether he played better than Shaw or not.
the point the other poster was making, is that both Shaw and Grealish has the same impact. Each had an assist, and each had the pass before the assist. The contribution was equal.

Shimo

He was that but, my point was how it's all about Jack being the difference maker.

You mention Shaw was there from the start, yes as the left wingback, in a team that was setup to be more defensive. Outside of Shaw being instrumental in the 2 goals, he also just happened to keep Germany's chief creator, Kimmich, in check. That's changing the game from the start.

Sorry it just bugs me when there was a player that had an even larger impact on the overall game that is not only overlooked but, seems is getting lower ratings than Grealish.

The Original

No coincidence that Shaw improved after Grealish moved to the left side of midfield. Clear that Grealish was the catalyst for the team improving, including Shaw stepping up almost immediately.
How exactly did he create this improvement and why is it no coincidence?

If anything at all, it seems that there may have been instructions from the coach to push up which explains why he brought Grealish on at that time. I'd say this is a much likelier explanation for the improvement in attack

Looking at the two goals, on the first one he does nothing of note. Sterling creates the space with his run, Grealish just makes a simple pass.

On the second Shaw intercepts and drives the ball and then makes a lovely through pass to Grealish who produces a decent cross.

Nogbadthebad

England have scored 4 goals in total.

3 of them have been set up by combination play between shaw and grealish.

Its not one or the other, its the two together that make the difference. Its why they should both start too.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The one thing I’m scared about is I’m wondering if Grealish coming on in the 2nd half is a tactical decision - that artistic and accurate dribbling against half drained defenders is very creative.

I wonder now in a quarter final stage if we should keep things the same and use him as our Plan B - or use him as a Plan A from the start of the match and find out that he may struggle or be man marked; leaving us having to make a new Plan B decision we haven’t reaped the benefits of before.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
One things clear - a fresh Grealish against tired legs is a fecking good plan.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
One things clear - a fresh Grealish against tired legs is a fecking good plan.
This is what I’m seeing too. I’m craving him to start matches so I can enjoy him from the off - but I wonder as a tournament tactic that Grealish vs drained defenders is not a bad tactic.

Nonsense. His dad is Irish. Which makes Grealish as Irish as any kid you have is English (didn’t you have a kid with somebody foreign?)
To be fair Pogue, if my daughter lives in Sweden her entire life I’m pretty certain she’ll feel much more Swedish than I’ll ever manage to convince her she’s English.
Like Jack she’ll obviously have a strong connection to her paternal land, but let’s not kid ourselves here, anyone then claiming after 25 years of being raised in Sweden that she’s “English” is gonna be a fair bit wide of the mark.

Yeah I heard he was class at GAA so he obviously feels a real connection to his Irish heritage, I’d be delighted if I can do as good a job as his paternal family did.

Last edited:

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
What position did Grealish take up when he came on? I had become rather belligerent after a few too many meads by that point and my ability to be aware of even the basics was long gone. He came in for Saka who was playing on the right but I presume Sterling moved to the right and Grealish set up on the left or was he more central?
If was playing out on the left then it has to be noted by Southgate that his left full back and left attacker combined so well for both goals, both supporting each other. He will have to make note of that especially now that Chillwell is available for selection. It would seem foolish for him to put chilwell straight back into the first team when shaw has been playing well and regardless of if he starts Grealish or not he knows he’s got a good potential link up play and attacking outlet there.

Classical Mechanic

Nonsense. His dad is Irish. Which makes Grealish as Irish as any kid you have is English (didn’t you have a kid with somebody foreign?)

Also. He was apparently a very talented GAA player until Villa demanded he stop playing. Which is about as Irish as it’s possible to get!
His dad was born in England. His great grandfather actually played for England too. Fair to say that he's connected to his Irish heritage though, more so than a lot of English players that have actually turned out for Ireland seniors! He's English with Irish heritage which is the fairest description of him.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
To be fair Pogue, if my daughter lives in Sweden her entire life I’m pretty certain she’ll feel much more Swedish than I’ll ever manage to convince her she’s English.
Like Jack she’ll obviously have a strong connection to her paternal land, but let’s not kid ourselves here, anyone then claiming after 25 years of being raised in Sweden that she’s “English” is gonna be a fair bit wide of the mark.
Just like how I see Hargreaves. Born n raised in Calgary until 16. To me at that point you are Canadian. Especially considering Alberta is a very conservative province (often labeled Canada's Texas) and there is much pride taken in being an Albertan above family lineage.

But you gotta do what's best for your career. Hargreaves made the right decision although he would have made Canada much less of a joke at "soccer".

Classical Mechanic

Just like how I see Hargreaves. Born n raised in Calgary until 16. To me at that point you are Canadian. Especially considering Alberta is a very conservative province (often labeled Canada's Texas) and there is much pride taken in being an Albertan above family lineage.

But you gotta do what's best for your career. Hargreaves made the right decision although he would have made Canada much less of a joke at "soccer".
Hargreaves was the only one of his siblings not born in England. His mum and Dad are from Bolton. It depends how he was brought up. If him and his dad watched football together when he was growing up supporting England then it's no surprise that he would opt to play for England.

Walters_19_MuFc

The reason I'm losing faith in Ole. His first real test in transfer decision making and he messes it up.
Grealish is my favourite player outside United, but it's not like Sancho is shit.

He's 4 years younger than Grealish and his numbers in the league have been:

18/19 - 12 goals 14 assists - 2069 mins
19/20 - 17 goals - 16 assists - 2292 mins
20/21 - 8 goals 11 assists - 2464 mins

His first season was at 18, too. Grealish has never hit those types of numbers, even in the Championship.

Don't get me wrong, as I said before, I think Grealish is a special player, but the way you said you're 'losing faith in Ole' because he is favouring Sancho instead of Grealish is slightly over the top., especially when both are top class players.

Hargreaves was the only one of his siblings not born in England. His mum and Dad are from Bolton. It depends how he was brought up. If him and his dad watched football together when he was growing up supporting England then it's no surprise that he would opt to play for England.
It’s different for Hargreaves as both his parents were brits, that becomes a different story.
I’m just being realistic about my own daughter (and next girl on the way), if they have a Swedish mum and are born and bred here till they are Jack’s age, they are obviously going to be much more Swedish than English.
That’s just natural.

Offsideagain

I think this performance will make City more determined to sign Kane and Grealish by conjuring up a ‘new’ sponsor that happens to have £200m doing nothing.

The one thing I’m scared about is I’m wondering if Grealish coming on in the 2nd half is a tactical decision - that artistic and accurate dribbling against half drained defenders is very creative.

I wonder now in a quarter final stage if we should keep things the same and use him as our Plan B - or use him as a Plan A from the start of the match and find out that he may struggle or be man marked; leaving us having to make a new Plan B decision we haven’t reaped the benefits of before.
This is my question too. Is he doing so well because he is that good, or because he is coming on against knackered defenders who are hardly top class and in their prime in the first place.

PoTMS

Let him start. We have plan B, C and D in Rashford, Foden and Sancho.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Lots of talk about Grealish's stats.

His goals and assists don't blow you away but I wonder how many people watched him.

Prior to the injury he was the best player in the league. Better than Bruno, better than KDB who has had better seasons than this.

Here's proof - Villa were challenging for top 6 with him, without they had newr relagation form.

Villa are a good side with him, without - pretty shit.

jesperjaap

England have scored 4 goals in total.

3 of them have been set up by combination play between shaw and grealish.

Its not one or the other, its the two together that make the difference. Its why they should both start too.
Agree, people saying "but Shaw had an equal impact", it was the combination and space Grealish opens up. I think SHaw has had a solid tournament so far, but going forward his effectgiveness has mainly been there with Grealish on ahead of him. The problem of course is Sterling is starting on the left and scored almost all of our goals.

I thought Sterling had a good game against Germany though were a couple of greedy dribbles where I was sreaming at him to pass, but the tournament as a whole Sterling has been clinical rather than quality. Grealish in his small amount of game time has been both. Has to start so Sterling moves over to the right for me.

I know this sounds over confident. But we have a few players on yellow cards and a few that have played a lot of minutes already. Is the Ukraine game maybe a chance to rest a couple of players and protect a couple from suspensions? Stones, Phillips, Rice, Sterling and Kane have started every game and some are now on a yellow, I do think we should rest a couple

Agree, people saying "but Shaw had an equal impact", it was the combination and space Grealish opens up. I think SHaw has had a solid tournament so far, but going forward his effectgiveness has mainly been there with Grealish on ahead of him. The problem of course is Sterling is starting on the left and scored almost all of our goals.

I thought Sterling had a good game against Germany though were a couple of greedy dribbles where I was sreaming at him to pass, but the tournament as a whole Sterling has been clinical rather than quality. Grealish in his small amount of game time has been both. Has to start so Sterling moves over to the right for me.

I know this sounds over confident. But we have a few players on yellow cards and a few that have played a lot of minutes already. Is the Ukraine game maybe a chance to rest a couple of players and protect a couple from suspensions? Stones, Phillips, Rice, Sterling and Kane have started every game and some are now on a yellow, I do think we should rest a couple
Yellow cards get wiped after the quarters

Classical Mechanic

It’s different for Hargreaves as both his parents were brits, that becomes a different story.
I’m just being realistic about my own daughter (and next girl on the way), if they have a Swedish mum and are born and bred here till they are Jack’s age, they are obviously going to be much more Swedish than English.
That’s just natural.
Generally yes but it depends on how the child is brought up. Some parents really imbue their kids with a particular identity. I saw an interview with Gary Breen who was born in England but played for Ireland. He seems literally obsessed with being Irish but admits many of his friends from the same background see themselves as English. I think the best predictor for which country a dual national opts to play for is the country they’re born in though.

Generally yes but it depends on how the child is brought up. Some parents really imbue their kids with a particular identity. I saw an interview with Gary Breen who was born in England but played for Ireland. He seems literally obsessed with being Irish but admits many of his friends from the same background see themselves as English. I think the best predictor for which country a dual national opts to play for is the country they’re born in though.
Once again, a mother from Clare AND father from Kerry. So as with Hargreaves, no real surprise they made him feel Irish as can be. All his family are Irish.
Can absolutely understand some despite that feeling more attached to their “home” country though, as with for example Zlatan.

It’s not the same with one parent from another country and one from the country you’re born and bred in, I’m seeing that first hand already and it’s the same story for all my mates here. Kids are absolutely part English, but they are Swedes first and foremost.

marktan

So looks like Sancho is going to be confirmed so this definitely isn't happening. RIP. Hope Villa can hold out against City's advances.

jesperjaap

Yellow cards get wiped after the quarters
That is the whole point I am making? They only get suspended if they play in the quarter finals and get booked, bar a red card in the semis of course

Yagami

Good post resistant
Good cameo. Nice to see him smiling in the celebrations after the sub.

passing-wind

Good cameo. Nice to see him smiling in the celebrations after the sub.
Didn't really influence the game, the game needed direct pace which only Sterling offered hence the goals. Irrespective a win is a win so very well done to Southgate.

MU655

Didn't really influence the game, the game needed direct pace which only Sterling offered hence the goals. Irrespective a win is a win so very well done to Southgate.
To be fair, he did pass it into Kane in a great position. Unfortunately, Kane mis-controlled it, or we could have won it in the 90mins.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah, didn't have the same impact he's had previously. Southgate had just brought Foden on and Sterling was a threat throughout. Harsh on Grealish but can definitely understand why.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's clear Southgate thinks he's an absolute liability if England aren't chasing a game :lol: