Jack Grealish | Euro 2020/1

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Lots of talk about Grealish's stats.

His goals and assists don't blow you away but I wonder how many people watched him.

Prior to the injury he was the best player in the league. Better than Bruno, better than KDB who has had better seasons than this.

Here's proof - Villa were challenging for top 6 with him, without they had newr relagation form.

Villa are a good side with him, without - pretty shit.
Grealish modern Ronaldinho. We all agreed on that and by that standard he is best player in whole world at least. He played shit to be honest.

Last edited:

cyberman

Jack has a weird way of playing for fouls which suits the opposition in this tactixal foul era but having it be decribed as a plus. Which is weird.

MU655

Jack has a weird way of playing for fouls which suits the opposition in this tactixal foul era but having it be decribed as a plus. Which is weird.
How is it weird that it is a plus that he wins freekicks? A lot of the freekicks he wins around the box due to his dribbling, leading to great crossing and shooting opportunities.

cyberman

How is it weird that it is a plus that he wins freekicks? A lot of the freekicks he wins around the box due to his dribbling, leading to great crossing and shooting opportunities.
Because the opposition wants to foul the best player in the league and line up for a set piece which theyre drilled at?
Otherwise, why the rise of tactical fouls?

Nero

I've never known that 'winning fouls' is such a leading attribute in player ability. It always seems to be the first thing people bring up when talking about Grealish.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's clear Southgate thinks he's an absolute liability if England aren't chasing a game :lol:
I have a theory that Gareth actually hates him, but begrudgingly accepts he has to use him when England are in a jam because he's brilliant.

As soon as he doesn't have to use him though, he will be straight out of there

El Zoido

England’s only good period of the game came when he was on the pitch. The second he went off again, it almost fell apart. He offers so much in the final third, and retains the ball incredibly well.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I have a theory that Gareth actually hates him, but begrudgingly accepts he has to use him when England are in a jam because he's brilliant.

I feel the same.

MU655

Because the opposition wants to foul the best player in the league and line up for a set piece which theyre drilled at?
Otherwise, why the rise of tactical fouls?
It is still a positive, though. He is such a good dribbler that he wins a freekick or he beats the player and gets into the box. Either way, there is always a chance to score.

A lot of players wouldn't get either of those because defenders aren't scared enough to foul them.

Yagami

Good post resistant
England’s only good period of the game came when he was on the pitch. The second he went off again, it almost fell apart. He offers so much in the final third, and retains the ball incredibly well.
Bar the time wasting at the end, yep. Our general play goes up levels when he's on.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Wasn’t there something about Grealish and an envelope calling Southgate a cnut

The Purley King

Wasn’t there something about Grealish and an envelope calling Southgate a cnut
southgate is fecking clueless though.
We won tonight despite him not because of him.
That last 15 minutes was excruciating and it really didn’t need to be. It was cowardly .

cyberman

It is still a positive, though. He is such a good dribbler that he wins a freekick or he beats the player and gets into the box. Either way, there is always a chance to score.

A lot of players wouldn't get either of those because defenders aren't scared enough to foul them.
But it slows the play down surely? Its ok for Jack at Villa where he gets the ball time and time again and he can still have the chance to influence open play. When he plays for England he gets less of the ball so when he wins the freekick thats the most he seems to do, unless absolutely everything goes through him then playing for freekicks limits his impact?

0le

He did not have a major impact on the game but it was not like he was awful or anything.

Flying_Heckfish

Not his best game today, went up a few blind alleys and wasn't quite in sync with his teammates at times.

I still think he a dangerous weapon to have though - he's unpredictable and can play AM or wither wing.

Maybe if he'd had Mounts minutes he'd have integrated better

Skills

Snitch
I've never known that 'winning fouls' is such a leading attribute in player ability. It always seems to be the first thing people bring up when talking about Grealish.
Yeah its weird. The way he's hyped up, i'm expecting the second coming of Iniesta.

He's very good at winning fouls - but this isn't basketball and you don't get free throws for it. Like footballing version of a poor mans James Harden.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Grealish will be too effective if he pass and move but he try to do too much on his own and as a end result he struggled to make an impact.

Dribbling will be effective if you have to beat a player and clear on goal but not array of opponents.

Very good player but need to trust team mates and pass,make move into spaces and receive the ball and be more effective in final third.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah its weird. The way he's hyped up, i'm expecting the second coming of Iniesta.

He's very good at winning fouls - but this isn't basketball and you don't get free throws for it. Like footballing version of a poor mans James Harden.
Why are people acting like all he does is get fouled? This is such a bizarre post.

jesperjaap

It's clear Southgate thinks he's an absolute liability if England aren't chasing a game :lol:
I think he basically doesnt trust him with the shape of the side and with defensive responsibilities within that. This is one of the reasons he is starting Saka and Sterling I feel so often for the work they do tracking back and with a more controlled press as well. I guess the fact Saka has played so well and Sterling has scoreed so many and we have only conceded one goal, you cant really argue about that.

Same token though, I feel a little sorry for him. He wasnt bad tonight but he has been really good when he has come on before and you can almost see he want to be a big part of this in the big games. Similar with Foden, mount is starting for all the work he does off the ball above Foden I feel. Again cant argue against it but the one position I would argue against and I think has been getting too much praise is that of Phillips, still feel Bellingham or even Henderson are actually better options there defensively and offensively

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't think it's personal. Southgate is a dour conservative coach. Will only throw on a flair player if he had no other choice left.

Trequarista10

Depends where on the pitch. Doesn't matter how well drilled a team is or how good they are at defending set pieces, no team purposefully gives away free kicks in dangerous positions to shoot or cross.

Tactical fouls are to stop a breakaway counter attack, and are committed as far away from the goal as possible.

cyberman

Depends where on the pitch. Doesn't matter how well drilled a team is or how good they are at defending set pieces, no team purposefully gives away free kicks in dangerous positions to shoot or cross.

Tactical fouls are to stop a breakaway counter attack, and are committed as far away from the goal as possible.
Grealish is always getting frees about 40 yards out! Keep a look out next time, its his bravery of always wanting the ball that leads to it.
If he just moves the ball quicker he would be an unbelievable player but it seems to be a mentality of I cant do anything here, Ill just take the free.
Pogba has been criticised for years when he does this so it isnt a double standard.

Patchbeard

He was really good against Germany when there was space to run into, but looked like he was trying too hard and kept giving the ball away against both Scotland and Denmark when there wasn't as much space. If he had had more minutes he probably wouldn't be trying to make an impact with every touch though. Does make me question his mentality slightly though.

Trequarista10

Grealish is always getting frees about 40 yards out! Keep a look out next time, its his bravery of always wanting the ball that leads to it.
If he just moves the ball quicker he would be an unbelievable player but it seems to be a mentality of I cant do anything here, Ill just take the free.
Pogba has been criticised for years when he does this so it isnt a double standard.
Yeah, it's not a tactical foul though in those cases, as it's usually not on a counter attack.

The advantage would be twofold. One, if the defender pulls out at the last season to avoid the foul, in which case Grealish would be past him and away. Secondly, if the defender gets a card. There is no advantage for the defending team to give away a free kick 40 yards from goal, if they already had the team in defensive shape behind the ball, as Denmark did yesterday.

romufc

Its always going to be difficult for Grealish, coming on with 25 minutes to go, he probably feels he has to change the game or do something special.

I felt he became too eager to impress and was not playing his usual game, this is down to Southgate though, he hasn't really managed him well.

crossy1686

career ending

I mentioned previously that there was a rumor going around that when Southgate had him in the U21's he made the team write anonymous feedback after a session. Apparently Grealish wrote "You're a dick and your training's shit" or words to that effect. Probably just a rumor but it was circling within journalists, not bar staff and butchers.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Came on and won one or two fouls. Didn't do much else.
He lost the ball a lot with some very loose touches too.

It’s been kind of surprising to me he is the go to sub when there’s like at least 2 other wide attackers who are just as good if not better.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Its always going to be difficult for Grealish, coming on with 25 minutes to go, he probably feels he has to change the game or do something special.

I felt he became too eager to impress and was not playing his usual game, this is down to Southgate though, he hasn't really managed him well.
He hasn't managed any of our attackers well in all honesty. The potential we have with this group of players is vast, you look at the youth talent coming up and they're all mostly offensive talent and yet we're sticking with a defensive coach. It's a shame really, we seem to always play with the shackles on. To be fair, maybe this is what England needs to win something and shed the stigma, but it's hard work watching it.

Feel like we're going to waste our current batch of young attacking forwards, we'll never see their true potential with Gareth at the helm.

Classical Mechanic

He doesn't hate him. He just doesn't trust him off the ball. Southgate is a consevative manager and Grealish is a throwback maverick type.

He made the difference yet again. Until he came on we struggled and couldn't hold the ball high. He comes on and the game changes, with us scoring the winning goal from yet another good chance. Based off his performance he deserves to start but maybe it's best bringing him on against tired legs.

MU655

He was really good against Germany when there was space to run into, but looked like he was trying too hard and kept giving the ball away against both Scotland and Denmark when there wasn't as much space. If he had had more minutes he probably wouldn't be trying to make an impact with every touch though. Does make me question his mentality slightly though.
Really? He is thrown on with 20 minutes to go to create because we are not winning. He has to take opportunities to drive forward, and, I think, people forget that it did lead to a good chance with the ball going into Kane, who mis-controlled it.

Despite playing a lot less, he is still one of our highest assisters. But the minimal amount of time puts a lot of pressure on him, especially knowing that no matter what he does he will always be back on the bench for the next game. It must be infuriating.

Abraxas

I feel for him in the sense he's been built into something he is not. He's a very good player but every time he steps on the pitch or gets the ball now there seems to be an expectation he has to do something spectacular.

I think if all the outside nonsense is put to one side he did fine, and generally has done fine when he's come on. Even last night he didn't contribute to any big moments but he took the ball well, won fouls, he looked like he might do something even though pace was clearly the main danger to a tiring defence.

8thWonder

1 + 1 = 7? We started the second half well, continued to play well, I thought he looked slightly nervous when he came on actually. But generally we played well from 45 minutes onwards, before, during and after Jack came on/off. When he did go off, the possession must have been 80/20 in the second period of extra time, how on earth did it almost fall apart?

Bar the time wasting at the end, yep. Our general play goes up levels when he's on.
I'm not sure this is true. Don't get me wrong, he's a brilliant player but he also has the advantage of coming on fresh around 60 minutes and then being incredibly good. Saka and Sterling have both done really well as well.

No it's not. It's down to Jack. Also it's not Gareths job to manage Grealish, it's to manage England. It's Gareths job to win games, which he's doing.

He hasn't managed any of our attackers well in all honesty. The potential we have with this group of players is vast, you look at the youth talent coming up and they're all mostly offensive talent and yet we're sticking with a defensive coach. It's a shame really, we seem to always play with the shackles on. To be fair, maybe this is what England needs to win something and shed the stigma, but it's hard work watching it.

Feel like we're going to waste our current batch of young attacking forwards, we'll never see their true potential with Gareth at the helm.
You mean he's not managed the players you prefer over Saka, Mount right?

i think my biggest problem with this clamour for Jack or even Sancho for example is that we're winning games, getting far into tournaments and people are genuinely dissapointed that these players didn't get a bigger part to play? So what? He got brought on, didn't impact the game, Eng went ahead, then for tactical reasons he got brought off, boo hoo.

I genuinely believe some people (English fans) would rather Jack play incredibly well, but England get knocked out and then have a moan at Gareth than, Grealish not play and Eng do well. It's mental to me.

Those young players have a chance to be part of an International tournament win, that's the potential right there. It should never be about individuals. Sancho, Foden, Grealish, Rashford shouldn't just be in the side because they're insanely talented and let's all look to the future which never comes. Teams don't generally win tournaments with a lot of youngsters in them.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I genuinely believe some people (English fans) would rather Jack play incredibly well, but England get knocked out and then have a moan at Gareth than, Grealish not play and Eng do well. It's mental to me.
I see this applied to United way too many times and it always seems like a weird counter argument.

You don't agree so you come up with a weird Eastenders sub plot to try and make them sound like the odd ones. Okay.

Eternitiy

You cannot take the ball off him unless you foul him. It is impossible. Why would this not be an attribute to admire?

He is a true entertainer, but very capable of adhering to a team's shape and style. It's a true mystery the way he's been overlooked in this tournament.