Jack Grealish | Euro 2020/1

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He has loads of talent but I think he's massively overrated. Class still, but he goes hiding in games IMO. People love to bring up how often he gets fouled and he's hard to bring down... so what? Foul him outside of the box all fecking day I'd he doesn't want to release it on time, who cares? He takes forever to release the ball and is worse than Pogba at slowing a game down.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
For all his prancing about and flamboyantly shit hair, Grealish doesn't actually have the sack to stand up and take penalties. He's been Villa's golden boy for years now and he's never taken one at the top level. Pretty likely he wussed out tonight as well.
Couldn't be farther from the truth. The stones on the lad are only surpassed by his calves. It was Southgate who picked the penalty takers.

Brave when it comes to running at players and putting himself in situations where he can get fouled, but why hasn't he pushed for a move to a club that matches his talent, and why has he only taken one penalty in his career, for the Villa reserves? I get that he loves Villa, but he needs to be willing to take more responsibility and get out of his comfort zone in some way or another at some point during his career if he wants to do his talent justice.
He's not brave because he hasn't moved to a big club? Can't wrap my head around this logic. Seems like a catch 22.

He's taken penalties for Villa before, most recently against Sheffield United in the PL, not the reserves, including a penalty in the shootout against West Brom in the playoff semifinal 3 years ago. If there's one player in that team who thrives on high pressure situations, it's Grealish. Think you've got it all wrong here mate.

DickDastardly

He has loads of talent but I think he's massively overrated. Class still, but he goes hiding in games IMO. People love to bring up how often he gets fouled and he's hard to bring down... so what? Foul him outside of the box all fecking day I'd he doesn't want to release it on time, who cares? He takes forever to release the ball and is worse than Pogba at slowing a game down.
But he's the player you want if you want to sustain long term pressure on opposition teams.

Also has loads of match breaking moments of brilliance. Game deciders.

He would be a perfect match for us. Someone to dominate possesion for sustained periods of time.

It's pretty obviuos we need that, at least when closing down games with a goal advantage.

It was pretty clear to see yesterday as well - Italy had 70% possesion, and although they did feck all with it for most of the time, one scrapy goal makes you champions.

youngrell

The clamour for him to be on the field throughout the tournament was a bit bizarre, considering how little he actually contributed when he did finally get on. Anyone would think England had Messi waiting on the bench.

Way too much expected of someone who has done close to zero at the top level.

Judas

Open to offers
Was a typical Grealish at this tournament performance when he came on, glides with the ball, but didn't do much with it, and then doesn't take a penalty? Love him as a player, but I don't think the madness and hysteria for him to play helped him.

Probably would have looked better if we'd made some other smart attacking changes, but those were nowhere unfortunately.

Last edited:

MU655

The clamour for him to be on the field throughout the tournament was a bit bizarre, considering how little he actually contributed when he did finally get on. Anyone would think England had Messi waiting on the bench.

Is it surprising when he only gets 20 minutes? Southgate has mounted huge pressure on him to perform in pretty much every time he has come on by giving him barely any time. He is a fantastic player, but he needs to be on from the start.

dal

Wow.

cyberman

Is it surprising when he only gets 20 minutes? Southgate has mounted huge pressure on him to perform in pretty much every time he has come on by giving him barely any time. He is a fantastic player, but he needs to be on from the start.
Can't see it. Everytime he comes on we are told how a man of his talents will change the game. It doesnt happen though but it doesn't matter since we will hear the exact same speech as he's brought on as a sub next time around.
Whats worse is that he hangs onto he ball for too long and Shaw loses influence on the game because of it

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I wouldn't say "zero" but at the moment, he is nothing more than the best player for a team that regularly lurches from relegation fight to mid table.
Heck, he will be 26 this year and never even played a European game. I think the clamour for him to start for England is exaggerated.
He needs to prove himself at a higher level.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Why has he been built up as this saviour of the England team? Whenever he was brought on the commentators reacted as if he was the second coming of Christ. He’s a good player but people really need to calm down. I find it all very odd

Sylar

He's good on the ball in attacking positions
He was motm in a game he started before the euros
He set up the winner in game 3
He changed the game vs Germany
Yesterday England looked better once he came on for mount on extra time

He really should have been given more time to make a positive impact rather than the attitude of let's defend. Sometimes the best form of defence is attacking and he (or Rashford or sancho) should have come on for mount on 60 minutes

He definitely should have come on for mount once it went 1-1

Wayne's World

Should have stepped up to take a pen and now allow Saka to take one, wasn't right to let a youngster with the weight of the world on top of him

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I think Grealish is a good player and should get better when he moves to a bigger club and is put in more high pressure situations often.

With that said, the hype job on him is too much.

I remember him being subbed and and the commentator saying "he is the man for these big moments" and me thinking to myself "what? He plays for villa, he's never been near a big moment?"

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why has he been built up as this saviour of the England team? Whenever he was brought on the commentators reacted as if he was the second coming of Christ. He’s a good player but people really need to calm down. I find it all very odd
He's good looking, that's why. People will argue that's not the reason but it's also why Arteta gets so much leeway.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Probably because people are sick of Mason Mount getting so many opportunities but consistently shows an inability to link with Harry Kane, and barely does anything worthwhile unless it involves a set piece (for England).

Grealish is exciting and watchable because you know he will try to be positive...we just don't get to see it as often as we should.

He probably has got to the point of being overhyped, but the amount of minutes he played seemed strangely low.

ForeverRed1

exactly this. Is it any wonder he can’t really do much in a game when he’s bought on with 20 minutes and has the expectations of the whole country on him to win us games, probably feels like he has to go out and prove something each time which only takes away the joy of playing. (Which is what makes him so good.. he genuinely loves playing freely and plays with the biggest smile).

also the media are terrible with making people the new someone. The new Gazza, new becks.. etc.. it’s sooo much pressure on young players.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Probably because people are sick of Mason Mount getting so many opportunities but consistently shows an inability to link with Harry Kane, and barely does anything worthwhile unless it involves a set piece (for England).

Grealish is exciting and watchable because you know he will try to be positive...we just don't get to see it as often as we should.

He probably has got to the point of being overhyped, but the amount of minutes he played seemed strangely low.
I like Mount, it must be hard to be creative when there’s 7 defensive players on the field. Look at how he played for Chelsea last season compared to his England performances. Poor management on Southgate’s part.

GMoore23

:houllier:

He's closer to Matt Le Tissier than Ronaldinho. He's good but he's not that good.

He definitely should've started/played much more than he did though. No disagreement there.
If Le Tissier had been a dedicated athlete he'd have been a superstar.

Deery

Dreary
You could see from his face after the penalties that he was totally disgusted with Southgate.

Grealish, Sancho, Rashford, Foden. All are capable of making a difference, none of them are going to do when they're brought on in extra team in a European final.

Had he come on 60 or 70 minutes in we might have had chance to see something from him. He has shown before what he can do at that point.

Stacks

Was a typical Grealish at this tournament performance when he came on, glides with the ball, but didn't do much with it, and then doesn't take a penalty? Love him as a player, but I don't think the madness and hysteria for him to play helped him.

Probably would have looked better if we'd made some other smart attacking changes, but those were nowhere unfortunately.
I wouldn't say "zero" but at the moment, he is nothing more than the best player for a team that regularly lurches from relegation fight to mid table.
Heck, he will be 26 this year and never even played a European game. I think the clamour for him to start for England is exaggerated.

I like Mount, it must be hard to be creative when there’s 7 defensive players on the field. Look at how he played for Chelsea last season compared to his England performances. Poor management on Southgate’s part.
Because he didn't take a pen and had like 20 mins to make an impact now people are underrating him? Mason Mount was stealing caps in this tournament as the poster said. Some gameI couldn't even tell which dude was Mount or if he was playing.

And Mourinho says he would have had no hesitation in naming Grealish in his first team.

“For example, yesterday, some players, they didn’t come. I don’t remember Mount as an example, I don’t remember him," he said.

And the Portuguese boss added: “I keep saying Grealish has to play.”

dinostar77

I would have thought that starting Grealish and Sancho would have been ideal against italy. Their respective trickery would have gained us a number of fouls and possibly cards for the italian players. It would have also freed up space elsewhere on the pitch as italy would have needed to double up everytime either of them got the ball.

Hopefully villa will not sell this summer and maybe Utd will come in for him next summer. He'd be a massive hit at OT.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
How about giving him a run in the team from the start, first?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He really shouldn't have his tournament critiqued too much given he's had to feed on scraps in terms of minutes

1 start all tournament and even that wouldn't have come had Mount not been isolating. Let that sink in

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I actually don't buy it from Grealish personally. I know its impossible to prove but I just can't believe Grealish genuinely wanted to take one and Southgate thought no, I'll give one to Saka, the teenager who has never taken one for his club before.

And it's so easy to say "I'll take one if you need me to" or "if I have to take one I will" to cover your back but you're also making it pretty clear you're not up to it.

cyberman

I actually don't buy it from Grealish personally. I know its impossible to prove but I just can't believe Grealish genuinely wanted to take one and Southgate thought no, I'll give one to Saka, the teenager who has never taken one for his club before.

And it's so easy to say "I'll take one if you need me to" or "if I have to take one I will" to cover your back but you're also making it pretty clear you're not up to it.
Its not just that, what are they saving themselves for? One of those names has to take the next one if Saka scores anyway since all Saka could do was prolong the shootout.
If you bottle the 5th then you bottle the sixth and then it becomes obvious

snk123

Pretty similar to Grealish saying I want to play and the manager choosing a teenager who's not played much, ahead of him. No?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Really? I think it's been blatantly clear across this tournament that Southgate doesn't trust Grealish to tie his own shoes let alone anything else

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Pretty similar to Grealish saying I want to play and the manager choosing a teenager who's not played much, ahead of him. No?
I think the pressure and consequences of playing in a match differs greatly from the one off moment of taking a penalty at the end, but I take your point.

I'd also add that he brought on players he didn't fancy (Rashford, Sancho) for the purposes of taking a penatly so he obviously feels that it differs massively as well.

0le

To be fair it is difficult to showcase your talent when a manager does not trust you, all your appearances are from the bench and sometimes there are only 3-4 attackers in total on the pitch.

youngrell

Because he didn't take a pen and had like 20 mins to make an impact now people are underrating him? Mason Mount was stealing caps in this tournament as the poster said. Some gameI couldn't even tell which dude was Mount or if he was playing.

And Mourinho says he would have had no hesitation in naming Grealish in his first team.

“For example, yesterday, some players, they didn’t come. I don’t remember Mount as an example, I don’t remember him," he said.

And the Portuguese boss added: “I keep saying Grealish has to play.”
Not underrating him in the slightest, but the TV guys have been way overrating him, or placing too much expectation. He's barely got past 10 caps and you'd think he was some all conquering European football god the way they kept go on about getting him on the field.

Where was the same clamour for Rashford or Sancho all tournament? You know, players who have actually played at the top level of club football for a start.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
His flamboyance and his loveable rogue personality probably rekindles some odd nostalgia with the England support and commentators still stuck in the past, Euro 96 to be specific (he seems like the type of character that would've fitted in well with the 'gang of 96')

He's good though and I like him but he's been put on this pedestal of cult worship by achieving very little in the game.

Ixion

A better way to phrase it might have been "I wanted to take one but the manager picked those who have shown the best penalties in training which you can't blame him or them"

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If he really wanted to take one. Like, really wanted to, I’m sure he would have. Harry Maguire was second choice, ffs.

Stacks

Not underrating him in the slightest, but the TV guys have been way overrating him, or placing too much expectation. He's barely got past 10 caps and you'd think he was some all conquering European football god the way they kept go on about getting him on the field.

Where was the same clamour for Rashford or Sancho all tournament? You know, players who have actually played at the top level of club football for a start.
I felt the same for Sancho in that he too was underused