Jack Grealish | Man City

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Grealish going to City reminds me of Griezmann going to Barca. Both great players who moved to the team arguably least suited to their style of play, something that plenty of people (including their fans) called beforehand. Both would have performed far better if they had ended up joining us as both were fairly close to doing, or just about any other top team for that matter. Griezmann ended up going back to Atletico, it will be interesting to see if Grealish also moves on or whether he will ultimately end up gelling with City over the next couple of years.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He was pretty good at Villa but what annoyed me about the praise was people prioritising him at the time over an RW, DM and CB

Ish

Lights on for Luke
City should really have thrown that money at a CF or at least a different kind of wide player (pacier/more direct) to improve their team/squad. Grealish doesn’t add much to them - especially not with the emergence of Foden either. I suppose we’ll need to see how he performs at the tail end of the season and during his second season. He’s not the first player to have found adjusting to Pep’s system difficult in his first year. £100m is still crazy money for him though - but I guess that is what he was worth to Villa. He was instrumental in them staying up.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Grealish going to City reminds me of Griezmann going to Barca. Both great players who moved to the team arguably least suited to their style of play, something that plenty of people (including their fans) called beforehand. Both would have performed far better if they had ended up joining us as both were fairly close to doing, or just about any other top team for that matter. Griezmann ended up going back to Atletico, it will be interesting to see if Grealish also moves on or whether he will ultimately end up gelling with City over the next couple of years.
I’m sorry but even this is hyperbolic. Grealish isn’t on Griezmann’s level and never has been. Griezmann is a far more accomplished and productive player.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I felt the transfer had less to do with City needing him and more to do with "Grealish has to play for a top club" and City with their unlimited resources volunteered

El Jefe

Were people on here actually saying this stuff?.
Unfortunately they were. Calling him a generational talent and best player in the league was common in his thread last year.

I remember getting laughed out the thread when I said Bernardo Silva was a better player, I wish I could be petty enough to quote the posters.

What I always found weird on here was the hard on a large part of the caf had for him but the same posters would call Hazard overrated despite Grealish being a poundland version of Hazard.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
How do you know he will leave... don't tell me he is going to replace Pochettino? ;)
He gave hints :

After seven years on this team, I think I’m going to have a stop. I’m going to have to take a break, see what we’ve done. And in the process, I would like to train a South American [team], European [national side], playing a Copa América – I want to have that experience.”

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He gave hints :

After seven years on this team, I think I’m going to have a stop. I’m going to have to take a break, see what we’ve done. And in the process, I would like to train a South American [team], European [national side], playing a Copa América – I want to have that experience.”
He has been saying he wants to retire since the first season at Barcelona, don’t know why anyone takes him seriously.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's a good dribler and I think is a good joker to have on the bench for those matches where teamwork is just not enough.
Not his fault City decided to overpay for a player with these characteristics.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Unfortunately they were. Calling him a generational talent and best player in the league was common in his thread last year.

I remember getting laughed out the thread when I said Bernardo Silva was a better player, I wish I could be petty enough to quote the posters.

What I always found weird on here was the hard on a large part of the caf had for him but the same posters would call Hazard overrated despite Grealish being a poundland version of Hazard.
I was definitely in the best players in the league camp. Maybe not quite the generational talent camp though.

He doesn't look anything special in this City team at all. Quite startling really. I doubt anyone who didn't know the squad would guess he was the 100m man from any of his games this season.

Bobski

High usage player(to borrow a basketball phrase) doesn't look as good when every pass doesn't go towards him, shocking.

Needs to go to a Spurs where he can be the big fish and accomplish nothing.

Lecland07

A lot of players take time to get used to Manchester City, to be fair. I think Grealish has been fine for the most part; he has been far from bad in the games he has played.

I don't think he particularly looks out of place with his skillset, but people will always talk about the £100m fee. In the end, that was the club's choice to pay that amount for him.

I have noticed he has sped up his play a bit from the start, but he is going on a run without an assist or goal. I think once he gets one again, he might start picking up in the assist department, at least.

I still think he will end up a good signing for them.

Cheating Appaloosa

Supports
Barcelona
Guardiola could have signed a striker, a replacement for sane, a new lb, but he decided to sign another attacking midfielder that isn't better than his current options. When de bruyne comes back to form, Grealish will marry the bench

Skills

Snitch
Technically or athletically is he exceptional at any particular skillset?

He's good at shielding the ball, but his dribbling isn't exceptional - because he can't actually get past his man that often. I don't think his passing or vision were ever special.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
High usage player(to borrow a basketball phrase) doesn't look as good when every pass doesn't go towards him, shocking.

Needs to go to a Spurs where he can be the big fish and accomplish nothing.
Can you think of a good recent comparison in the NBAfor him? High usage player excels for an underperforming team but then struggles to excel in a good team?

Offsideagain

Grealish was the big fish in a small(ish) pond at the Villa. Now he’s just a minnow swimming with sharks in a big pond and learning how to swim in their style. Once Guardiola leaves, he’ll move on. I reckon City only bought him to stop him going elsewhere in the first place. Good player though. Don’t think he’s ‘won’ as many free kicks this season.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Guardiola could have signed a striker, a replacement for sane, a new lb, but he decided to sign another attacking midfielder that isn't better than his current options. When de bruyne comes back to form, Grealish will marry the bench
With Silva rumored to be leaving last season, and Gundogan on the wrong side of 30, it was a purchase that made sense. If City had their way they would have got Grealish and Kane. Cancelo and Zinchenko play at LB, and Torres was signed as a wide forward. So your first sentence doesn't really make any sense.

De Bruyne's competition is B Silva/Gundogan, not Grealish. When he gets back to full form he'll most likely play as the false 9, unless his competition is injured or suffers a loss in form. Then the left wing option will be between Grealish and Foden.

Can you think of a good recent comparison in the NBAfor him? High usage player excels for an underperforming team but then struggles to excel in a good team?
Kevin Love/Chris Bosh?

But the comparison between basketball and football is somewhat flawed when applicable to Grealish. His "problem" isn't having to deal with not being the main man, it's learning how to marry his strengths with the way City play (one touch football, give and go).

He is playing on the left wing right now because Gundogan and B. Silva are great and understand the system better, also because mistakes made on the left wing are less prone to being punished. As a winger his dribbling isn't threatening. When he moves into midfield it'll become invaluable, as he has the ability to retain possession until the right moment. That was something David Silva excelled at.

There's no guarantee of this signing being a success. But the last few pages read so much like Caf commentary on B. Silva, Cancelo, Rodri, in their first seasons. If I was a betting man...

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He's a very good player but the cynical side of me says the sheer level of hype he got was partly a stick to beat Mount with.

Zen

Kevin Love/Chris Bosh?

But the comparison between basketball and football is somewhat flawed when applicable to Grealish. His "problem" isn't having to deal with not being the main man, it's learning how to marry his strengths with the way City play (one touch football, give and go).

He is playing on the left wing right now because Gundogan and B. Silva are great and understand the system better, also because mistakes made on the left wing are less prone to being punished. As a winger his dribbling isn't threatening. When he moves into midfield it'll become invaluable, as he has the ability to retain possession until the right moment. That was something David Silva excelled at.

There's no guarantee of this signing being a success. But the last few pages read so much like Caf commentary on B. Silva, Cancelo, Rodri, in their first seasons. If I was a betting man...
Nah, being LeBron's third wheel worked for both, especially for Bosh who was a better player in the Heat.

Maybe... the more recent option, James Harden. Although that team still hasn't been fully together often either.

Tragically Hip

With Silva rumored to be leaving last season, and Gundogan on the wrong side of 30, it was a purchase that made sense. If City had their way they would have got Grealish and Kane. Cancelo and Zinchenko play at LB, and Torres was signed as a wide forward. So your first sentence doesn't really make any sense.

De Bruyne's competition is B Silva/Gundogan, not Grealish. When he gets back to full form he'll most likely play as the false 9, unless his competition is injured or suffers a loss in form. Then the left wing option will be between Grealish and Foden.

Kevin Love/Chris Bosh?

Bosh willingly accepted his role and was integral in two titles. He was one of the original 'stretch fours' that spaced the floor for Lebron and Wade to have more open lanes to the basket. Bosh was actually a perfect fit for that Miami Heat team bc of his skill set and unselfishness.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Bosh willingly accepted his role and was integral in two titles. He was one of the original 'stretch fours' that spaced the floor for Lebron and Wade to have more open lanes to the basket. Bosh was actually a perfect fit for that Miami Heat team bc of his skill set and unselfishness.
And we still miss him to this day. Damn blood clots. A class act all around and deserved a better ending to his career.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me he isn't playing that much of a different level to Sancho.

marktan

cyberman

I'm glad he's been shit, long may it continue. Still won't stop City from walking the league though, as soon as Pool get an injury to one of their front 3 it's game over.

Tbf to Grealish, Sancho who we signed for similar money has been equally as crap.
Fees aren’t similar at all and Sancho has nothing to do with Grealish

thedvil

I'm glad he's been shit, long may it continue. Still won't stop City from walking the league though, as soon as Pool get an injury to one of their front 3 it's game over.

Tbf to Grealish, Sancho who we signed for similar money has been equally as crap.
Ok i may be wrong because i don't know the history of your posts regarding Grealish, but i am assuming from your response to the post you were waxing lyrical about him, if so what has that got to do with City winning the league regardless of Grealish being a bad signing and why would you throw one of our own players in Sancho into the conversion if you do indeed support United as the thread is about Grealish and not Sancho.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Nah, being LeBron's third wheel worked for both, especially for Bosh who was a better player in the Heat.

Maybe... the more recent option, James Harden. Although that team still hasn't been fully together often either.
Bosh had to scale his game back to become a 3rd option for the Heat. One of the tragedies around his blood clots is it robbed him of the chance of stepping into the void LeBron left.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great fit. Me mentioning him wasn't trying to put him down.

But trophies aside, the Bosh in Toronto was a more complete player. The Bosh in Miami primarily played off the ball, did the dirty work... He did it well, but it was still a step back IMO.

cyberman

£70m vs £100m, both play wide forward, both options we could've signed
Costing roughly 40 percent more isn’t remotely similar and City didn’t have to sign Jack since they had better options already at the club. All they had to do was not sign Jack to have a better LW in their first eleven

Righteous Steps

Always felt if he couldn’t adapt to playing a centre midfield role like Bernardo does he may struggle, a Sane or Robben type winger would always be the ideal winger in Peps system post Barcelona for me.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The player he reminds me of is McManaman.

Except McManaman was never this hyped and a slightly better player.

AR87

Kemba Walker was awesome on the Hornets and been getting dogged since he left for Boston. Some of that is injury related, but as a Knicks fan I can say he also has no concept of how to play in a lower usage capacity where everything isn't just built around giving him freedom to do whatever he wants offensively.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He can't dribble and take on his players like he did before -

Just too much of a stop and pass mentality that is quite refined and slow which makes him the slowest player on the pitch when he tries to do it; hogging on to the ball unnecessarily.

Would be a better player at United or even Chelsea.