Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetRightFoot

Here's some top Pl and European teams list of midfielders.

Madrid - Kroos Modric Casemiro Rodriguez Valverde Isco

Barcelona - Busquets De Jong Vidal Puig Arthur Rakitic

Bayern - Kimmich Tolisso Cuisance Coutinho Goretzka Thiago Martinez

Juve - Pjanic Ramsey Rabiot Matuidi Khedira Bentancur

City - D.Silva B.Silva Foden Gundogan De Bryune Fernandinho Rodri

Liverpool - Henderson, Milner, Fabinho, Oxlade, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Keita

Chelsea - Barkley Mount Loftus Cheek Jorginho Kante Kovacic
Man Utd - Pogba (gone), Fred, Mctominay, Bruno, Matic.

One of these is not like the others

Kag

The suggestion that we don’t need him because of Bruno is pure folly. Pogba is a goner and we need to replace him with two midfielders: one creative and one defensive. Grealish fits the mould perfectly, with the added bonus that he can play slightly wider in the event we need him there.

The biggest no-brainer all summer long.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
At the price suggested (release clause) - absolutely, yes.

All a bit premature.

But he's a versatile, young player who looks the business - so, yeah, we should at the very least be "in for 'im", as 'Arry used to say. I get the argument about stockpiling talents in the same position - but that doesn't really apply here, as he should be a very decent fit for multiple different positions.

sherrinford

Here's some top Pl and European teams list of midfielders.

Madrid - Kroos Modric Casemiro Rodriguez Valverde Isco

Barcelona - Busquets De Jong Vidal Puig Arthur Rakitic

Bayern - Kimmich Tolisso Cuisance Coutinho Goretzka Thiago Martinez

Juve - Pjanic Ramsey Rabiot Matuidi Khedira Bentancur

City - D.Silva B.Silva Foden Gundogan De Bryune Fernandinho Rodri

Liverpool - Henderson, Milner, Fabinho, Oxlade, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Keita

Chelsea - Barkley Mount Loftus Cheek Jorginho Kante Kovacic
What’s your point?

OrcaFat

The more I think about it, the more I think we should go for Grealish. He would add certain attributes directly, not least his' United-esq' attitude, but importantly he'd add a lot of flexibility to how we line up. Here are 4 quick formations that would be available to us with him in the squad, and he'd offer crucial cover for if Fernandes gets injured, even Rashford too.

I'm basing this on Pogba leaving. If we could sign Sancho too, then that would be wonderful. Can anyone think of another realistically attainable player who would add such a good combination of quality and flexibility to our squad?
The “Attacking” formation is really the only one where Bruno and Grealish could be both played together effectively, IMO. McT at “6” with Fred as a squad option at “8” not “6”.

However, not sure if McT will excel as a pure “6” and think we may be a bit vulnerable through the middle.

Most likely if we buy Grealish he will often be played on the wing. Trouble with that idea is that Rashford plays best left and AFAIK Grealish rarely plays right. And if not on the wing he’d most likely be competing with Bruno for the same spot.

I like Grealish and he is quite versatile in terms of where to play him but treating him as a utility player and shifting him about seems unlikely to bring maximum yield. It’s possible the money could be better spent on a striker and RW (unless Grealish can play RW of course).

FujiVice

I cant believe there are people saying "we dont need him." We need a squad full of really good players. Not water carriers or people like sit there looking dumb. It was only last month we were still starting Perrera every week.

Beaucoup

I cant believe there are people saying "we dont need him." We need a squad full of really good players. Not water carriers or people like sit there looking dumb. It was only last month we were still starting Perrera every week.
I agree, it won’t be long before teams try and nullify Bruno, he’s clearly our main creative player, having another creative player like Grealish allows us to mix it up and be harder to play against. Like Bruno he can play in multiple positions as is also captain, the more leaders we can get in the team the better.

OrcaFat

True. The question is whether he is still a priority now we have Bruno. Having said that I would be delighted to get Grealish.

Kag

Indeed. We’re still one injury to Bruno away from being stuck with Lingard or Pereira at #10.

Pogba is leaving.

I can’t, for the life of me, understand how people are attempting to argue that we’d be “stockpiling” talent.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Indeed. We’re still one injury to Bruno away from being stuck with Lingard or Pereira at #10.

Pogba is leaving.

I can’t, for the life of me, understand how people are attempting to argue that we’d be “stockpiling” talent.
Stockpiling talent wouldn’t be a bad idea, because we’ve hardly got any

Tarrou

It's not about stockpiling talent, I doubt you could find one fan who wouldn't swap him for Lingard.

The question is can we afford to spend big on a player who's best two positions are well covered? When the need for a right winger is greater right now.

He doesn't have a release clause, he'll cost a bomb.

Kag

It's not about stockpiling talent, I doubt you could find one fan who wouldn't swap him for Lingard.

The question is can we afford to spend big on a player who's best two positions are well covered? When the need for a right winger is greater right now.

Another creative midfielder is a priority in the event Pogba leaves. Grealish will be (almost) as important as the addition of a right winger in this instance. They should be the first two positions we sort out this summer.

United Pro

Pogba will almost definitely be off in the summer so the question would be more about the best way to use the funds we get for him in addition to summer transfer budget. If we are looking for a creative playmaker, I can't think of many better fits than Grealish. I don't think a move for Grealish will have any impact on us chasing a RW, i.e. Sancho.

Tarrou

Another creative midfielder is a priority in the event Pogba leaves. Grealish will be (almost) as important as the addition of a right winger in this instance. They should be the first two positions we sort out this summer.
If Pogba leaves, a right winger + Grealish would be fantastic.

I am not sure he will though, I think we'll faff about all summer and struggle to get the money we want for him

Eric's Seagull

Pogba is leaving.

Totally agree with this. Bruno injury and we are fecked. Would be very nice to have another decent creative presence also Grealish said his favoured role is of an 8.

Son

The suggestion that we don’t need him because of Bruno is pure folly. Pogba is a goner and we need to replace him with two midfielders: one creative and one defensive. Grealish fits the mould perfectly, with the added bonus that he can play slightly wider in the event we need him there.

The fact Periera and Lingard are still in our squad too proves we need Grealish.

His wages will be less than Lingard and have twice the output of both of those players combined.

The people saying we have Bruno now it’s fine don’t understand to win trophies you need a fresh squad to compete on all fronts like City last few years.

Kag

The fact Periera and Lingard are still in our squad too proves we need Grealish.

His wages will be less than Lingard and have twice the output of both of those players combined.

The people saying we have Bruno now it’s fine don’t understand to win trophies you need a fresh squad to compete on all fronts like City last few years.
Of course. City are a great example. They can choose from Silva, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Bernardo, Foden and, at a push, Sterling in their two central attacking midfield roles. Rodri and Fernandinho are their two options at the base of midfield.

Yet we’ve got strange bods complaining that we might not be able to find game time for both Bruno and Grealish; or possibly leave one of McTominay and Fred on the bench. It’s bizarre logic.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We need more strings to our bow and if Pogba leaves, then i'd hope we don't burden Bruno with the bulk of our creativity and sign at least two creative attack minded players who will come in and link up with Bruno. Grealish and Sancho would be fantastic and we can then maybe add another player to supplement the attackers and maybe someone like Denis Zakaria could also come in to balance things from a tactical perspective.

Captain Paris

The first thing that comes to me whenever I see his name pop up is that the multiple briefs from the club worked. Since this "Brexit FC" strategy came out, people are looking for any in form English players no matter where they play.

Grealish best position is LW currently. Rashford is our best LW. Is Grealish better than him ? I do not think so. Do I think that because we have Rashford we should not get another player, no. But what we need is instant improvement from recruitment like Bruno upgraded (liberated) us from Pereira and Lingard.

If the players targeted aren't clearly better than we got, don't bother. I refer to this expression used by Gary Neville, United should only go for the "best in class", if we were talking about Leroy Sane and Heung Ming Son, I would totally go for them.

We should not buy players if they are not what we need the most. Most people put him in the 8 role but Ole has been constant about one thing this season, it's the 4231 formation. I don't believe he will go back the 433 even if Pogba stays. We need a RW before adding another left winger who isn't even better than we got.

Finally Jack Grealish is the best player for a team that is ranked 18th in the PL. The expectations will be much higher and I think we need players used to this kind of expectations.

Raven

The first thing that comes to me whenever I see his name pop up is that the multiple briefs from the club worked. Since this "Brexit FC" strategy came out, people are looking for any in form English players no matter where they play.

Grealish best position is LW currently. Rashford is our best LW. Is Grealish better than him ? I do not think so. Do I think that because we have Rashford we should not get another player, no. But what we need is instant improvement from recruitment like Bruno upgraded (liberated) us from Pereira and Lingard.

If the players targeted aren't clearly better than we got, don't bother. I refer to this expression used by Gary Neville, United should only go for the "best in class", if we were talking about Leroy Sane and Heung Ming Son, I would totally go for them.

We should not buy players if they are not what we need the most. Most people put him in the 8 role but Ole has been constant about one thing this season, it's the 4231 formation. I don't believe he will go back the 433 even if Pogba stays. We need a RW before adding another left winger who isn't even better than we got.

Finally Jack Grealish is the best player for a team that is ranked 18th in the PL. The expectations will be much higher and I think we need players used to this kind of expectations.
Pretty sure he is being targeted as a midfielder. James will be our back up for LW once we have bought a RW.

Irrational.

Joe Cole reckons Grealish is the best English talent since Gazza :houllier:

Although it's the dream, I don't think we'll be able to afford him AND Sancho this summer. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, especially if Villa get relegated.

Throwback to the time when Spurs tried to bully/ lowball Villa into selling him for £25 million :lol:

sp_107

If he so special why Villa losing most of their matches? I know you guys come back and say other players not good but that is the trait of special players isn't it? Even though they are with average players they can carry the team on their shoulders.

Is Grealish that good to be compared to Gazza and being linked to current pool side?

Hanky panky

Since Gazza? So he means better than Beckham, Scholes, Lampard or Gerrard. Not sure about that but, he can be very good player. I hope we will get him, enjoy to watch him play.

Hanky panky

If he so special why Villa losing most of their matches? I know you guys come back and say other players not good but that is the trait of special players isn't it? Even though they are with average players they can carry the team on their shoulders.
Because other players are not that good. ;) Even he is very good, he is not Maradona. :)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Is Grealish that good to be compared to Gazza and being linked to current pool side?
They have a poor team, although I don't think he is as good as what Cole said, but hes obviously a really good player if you have watched him

sherrinford

Particularly with their injuries, he is carrying the team on his shoulders. He consistently sticks out. It’s a team game though - one player can make a difference but cannot make up a big difference between two teams.

I think if he is considered in the same class as Scholes, Gerrard or Beckham by the end of his career he will have done very well. And I think he would walk into the current Liverpool side.

Devil may care

The thing is he wont come here to sit on the bench and with Rashford and Bruno fit that's where he'd be, or Bruno would be as the only system that would fit them all in requires us to play like City but that takes coaching we don't have and a proper holding midfielder, which we also lack, Fred and McTominay are not DM's, they are box to box players, but if you want to use Bruno and Grealish like De Bruyne and Silva, then you have to have a pure DM who will just sit and protect like Fernandinho or Rodri does for City.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Why did Forest get relegated in ‘93? Why didn’t Keane carry them on his shoulders?

Raven

This is just drivel. Why did you bother posting this?

Josh 76

Is this a serious post ?

limerickcitykid

The thing is he wont come here to sit on the bench and with Rashford and Bruno fit that's where he'd be, or Bruno would be as the only system that would fit them all in requires us to play like City but that takes coaching we don't have and a proper holding midfielder, which we also lack, Fred and McTominay are not DM's, they are box to box players, but if you want to use Bruno and Grealish like De Bruyne and Silva, then you have to have a pure DM who will just sit and protect like Fernandinho or Rodri does for City.
Why did Mahrez or Bernardo go to sit on City’s bench? Why did Lo Celso go to sit on Spurs bench? Why did Pulisic go to sit on Chelsea’s bench? Why does any player go to sign for a top club with top players competing for spots?

In a little over half a season Lingard, Andreas, and Pogba have played 4,400 minutes. Dan James also 2,500 with over 1,000 being on the left. Mata also with minutes centrally. Pogba is gone and Jack is miles better than the rest. There is plenty of minutes there for him to play.

City have also played plenty of times with Gundogan, Silva and De Bruyne. We dominate over 50% of the league and have for years completely failed to create anything with that possession. How have you watched us and think adding another creative player to our insipid midfield wouldn’t work?

croadyman

Joe Cole reckons Grealish is the best English talent since Gazza :houllier:

Although it's the dream, I don't think we'll be able to afford him AND Sancho this summer. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, especially if Villa get relegated.

Throwback to the time when Spurs tried to bully/ lowball Villa into selling him for £25 million :lol:
Only way we get both is if Pogba gets sold in my opinion

Highfather_24

I think he can play as an #8 in our 4-2-3-1. I think he can easily come in for Fred/Pogba as one of the 2 deep lying midfielders. He rarely loses the ball, is very strong, and has good passing and is press resistant. Also a very hard worker. I think he will do well in a deeper role.

Devil may care

Why did Mahrez or Bernardo go to sit on City’s bench? Why did Lo Celso go to sit on Spurs bench? Why did Pulisic go to sit on Chelsea’s bench? Why does any player go to sign for a top club with top players competing for spots?

In a little over half a season Lingard, Andreas, and Pogba have played 4,400 minutes. Dan James also 2,500 with over 1,000 being on the left. Mata also with minutes centrally. Pogba is gone and Jack is miles better than the rest. There is plenty of minutes there for him to play.

City have also played plenty of times with Gundogan, Silva and De Bruyne. We dominate over 50% of the league and have for years completely failed to create anything with that possession. How have you watched us and think adding another creative player to our insipid midfield wouldn’t work?
The players you named are not alike though, Lo Celso went on loan to Spurs and knew he had a chance to earn a regular start, Pulisic thought he was coming into Hazard's role as his competition is two old wingers and CHO, in Mahrez case he was going to the Champions and a team that look capable of winning everything before them, any player will go to that type of club to be a squad player, we used to be able to do that but these days it's harder to shell £60M+ on a player who is young and hungry and then expect him to be happy with rotating.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Grealish and would be happy if we signed him and he was hunky dory with having to wait to get a game, and the club was happy to splash that kind of fee on a player who isn't guarenteed to start, but that just doesn't seem realisitc to me and I don't see him starting that often over Rashford or Bruno which wont be satisfactory for him IMO.

limerickcitykid

The players you named are not alike though, Lo Celso went on loan to Spurs and knew he had a chance to earn a regular start, Pulisic thought he was coming into Hazard's role as his competition is two old wingers and CHO, in Mahrez case he was going to the Champions and a team that look capable of winning everything before them, any player will go to that type of club to be a squad player, we used to be able to do that but these days it's harder to shell £60M+ on a player who is young and hungry and then expect him to be happy with rotating.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Grealish and would be happy if we signed him and he was hunky dory with having to wait to get a game, and the club was happy to splash that kind of fee on a player who isn't guarenteed to start, but that just doesn't seem realisitc to me and I don't see him starting that often over Rashford or Bruno which wont be satisfactory for him IMO.
Grealish will he thinking he’s good enough to earn a spot too just like the rest of those. You can make up excuses why they’re different but they aren’t.

He doesn’t need wait. Fact is Grealish would have walked into our side today and we may have actually won with a creative player out there instead of wasting 3 midfield spots on players who offer feck all going forward. I’ve just given you facts about the minutes available to play. He isn’t waiting for anything, the minutes are right there free to be taken.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
We'd be idiots not to take him if he wants to come.

GledTheRed

Grealish will he thinking he’s good enough to earn a spot too just like the rest of those. You can make up excuses why they’re different but they aren’t.

He doesn’t need wait. Fact is Grealish would have walked into our side today and we may have actually won with a creative player out there instead of wasting 3 midfield spots on players who offer feck all going forward. I’ve just given you facts about the minutes available to play. He isn’t waiting for anything, the minutes are right there free to be taken.
McT, Fred and Matic i presume? McT and Fred scored midweek and Matic hit the bar and had a really good shot well saved.

Devil may care

I'm not making up excuses, I am just being realistic, do you honestly see us forking out £60M for him and then another £100M+ on Sancho and then also adding in at least one proper CM? The fact is it's a lot easier to displace Willian or Dier than it is to displace Rashford or Bruno.

You have given me minutes based off this season, Rashford has rarely missed so much time for us so if he's fit where does Grealish play today? As both the spots he plays in would have been taken by Bruno and Rashford, so basically your plan is fine if Rashford has another long injury lay off but look at the type of strikers we looked at, Josh King and Igalho, that tells you we are looking only for cheap back-ups who will be happy as squad players in positions Ole and co think are sorted, if I am wrong then great, like I say I want the quality, I just don't see it happening with how we operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.