Jack Grealish

onemanarmy

Would have been twice the player for us VDB will ever be. I was laughed at when I said that in the tranfer forums. We'll see in couple of years I guess.

Haddock

Said this in anger back in January "He's a sensational player carrying Villa and he'd walk into the midfield of all the top clubs (including Man City). England and Man United are crying out for a player like him who can hold the ball or dribble in tight spaces. Yet an oaf like Southgate can't see it.

You can tell the ones on the forum who watch no football outside the usual big 6 clubs because they would have been the same clueless buggers who didn't rate Modric in 2009.
"

and took some flak.

This in August:
It's not a controversial opinion except on Redcafe where posters seem to believe that first rate technique, turning up when the chips are down, beating a man at will in tight spaces and mature decision making in the final third are qualities any random player possesses.

He's even got that brilliant ability to draw fouls and waste time where the team has a slim lead in the dying minutes.

The only real issue I have with him is that he holds on to the ball a bit too long, I understand that's a function of playing for a team that need him to win fouls and kill the pressure but United could do with someone who releases the ball faster. We've already got Pogba and Maguire to take 30000000 touches before passing.

I stand by every word. Even a blind man can see he's class.

pascell

Said this in anger back in January "He's a sensational player carrying Villa and he'd walk into the midfield of all the top clubs (including Man City). England and Man United are crying out for a player like him who can hold the ball or dribble in tight spaces. Yet an oaf like Southgate can't see it.

You can tell the ones on the forum who watch no football outside the usual big 6 clubs because they would have been the same clueless buggers who didn't rate Modric in 2009.
"

and took some flak.

This in August:
It's not a controversial opinion except on Redcafe where posters seem to believe that first rate technique, turning up when the chips are down, beating a man at will in tight spaces and mature decision making in the final third are qualities any random player possesses.

He's even got that brilliant ability to draw fouls and waste time where the team has a slim lead in the dying minutes.

The only real issue I have with him is that he holds on to the ball a bit too long, I understand that's a function of playing for a team that need him to win fouls and kill the pressure but United could do with someone who releases the ball faster. We've already got Pogba and Maguire to take 30000000 touches before passing.

But he's British and thats just not cool enough here, you should know this!

Clear as day he'd have been an absolute sensation at United. Instead we chose to keep Pogba and offer him a new deal. As the old saying goes, you reap what you sow.

Haddock

His quality was so obvious from last season that I started watching Villa games just for him.
It's just baffling to me how anyone could say he's average. Maybe three years ago. But not after the way he played in the championship and even midway through last season. What aspect of his game is average? Heading maybe. I'd be happy to hear a serious contrary point about exactly why he's average.

The player has leveled up in an incredible way. His awareness, his intelligence, his physique - all first rate. Yeah okay he broke the lockdown rules but I'm talking about in game performances.

mu4c_20le

But he's British and thats just not cool enough here, you should know this!

Clear as day he'd have been an absolute sensation at United. Instead we chose to keep Pogba and offer him a new deal. As the old saying goes, you reap what you sow.
Yes there was some nonsense about Brexit FC. But not sure what this has to do with Pogba, they play in different positions, the only thing they have in common is both being able to play in Bruno's position.

RedNed77

Shit Sunday league player with a crap haircut and big calf’s. Not good enough for us apparently as he’s too brexity :rolleyes:.

Dante

Average bang
He had the second most key passes from central positions in Europe last season (behind KdB but ahead of Messi).

All he needed was a forward line who could put it in the net. Villa may well have one now.

It's easy to look only at goals and assists and think they give you an idea about a player. But if you're going to use stats to judge someone, at least go one layer deeper to correct for how good or bad his teammates are.

Grealish was equally brilliant last season. The numbers just didn't tell the full story.

dbs235

He's top class. Deserves to be playing for a CL team and should be an England regular.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He had the second most key passes from central positions in Europe last season (behind KdB but ahead of Messi).

All he needed was a forward line who could put it in the net. Villa may well have one now.

It's easy to look only at goals and assists to try and give you an idea about a player. But if you're going to use stats to judge someone, at least go one layer deeper to correct for how good or bad his teammates are.

Grealish was equally brilliant last season. The numbers just didn't tell the full story.
Thing is, he's not like Bruno where it's all about the numbers either. His general play is incredible on top of his impressive stats.

AshRK

Doing what pogba doesn't do for us. If we really ambitious we would have signed him and sancho.

Josh 76

I've got enough abuse on here for saying Utd should have signed Grealish.
"He won't get in our team cause we got Pogba and Bruno"

You all know who you are. feck you and feck Pogba!

mu4c_20le

I've got enough abuse on here for saying Utd should have signed Grealish.
"He won't get in our team cause we got Pogba and Bruno"
Nobody said that. It was between him and Sancho, and still is.

Idxomer

It's just baffling to me how anyone could say he's average. Maybe three years ago. But not after the way he played in the championship and even midway through last season. What aspect of his game exactly is? I'd be happy to hear a serious contrary point.

The player has leveled up massively. His awareness, his intelligence, his physique - all first rate. Yeah okay he broke the lockdown rules but I'm talking about in game performances.
I don't think anyone who thought he isn't worth the money watched him in anything more than the games against United and maybe a couple of others against City or Liverpool. I thought someone like Pep would push hard to get him after last season, glad he didn't at the end. United also should've tried hard to sign him when it was obvious getting Sancho won't be easy. It was funny reading the posts claiming signing VDB is much smarter than spending stupid money on proven quality like Grealish.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions

"

and took some flak.

This in August:

Yeah, but he’s British so of course the CAF was going to crap on him. He’s class, and a hell of a competitor each and every game.

fps

We went for Van de Beek over him. Over to you chap....

micmac

I hope the "real" football experts watch his performance today when they say he is not too class.

Happy Eddy didn't want to pay for him...at least we got to see a team hit Liverpool 7.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
More like targeting Sancho over him. He's predominantly played for Villa as a winger since they've been in the premier. His performances in midfield are alright but nowhere near his level cutting in off the wing.

Highfather_24

Grealish was double the price at 80M though. And seems like his best position is at LW, so don't get the comparisons with Pogba either who is playing as a CM now. If we got him, he would compete with Bruno or Rashford. Brilliant player but not worth it for 80M.

Oldyella

Yeah, but he’s British so of course the CAF was going to crap on him. He’s class, and a hell of a competitor each and every game.
Brexit FC, etc etc...

The way our fanbase turns its noses up at players from 'smaller' clubs can be infuriating. Robertson, Mane etc

Woodenlung

Disparaging a new signing, who has actually performed well, because we didn't get a different bloke is peak RedCafe.

Woodenlung

But anyway, Grealish is a great player. It was obvious how good he was last year. He was.head and shoulders above every other player in that Villa side. Including John McGinn who I think is actually really good too.

Grealish is one of the best players in the league and you'd have to be a fool not go see that.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
To think as recent as last week, people on here were insisting he's nothing more than a £50m player. Spurs had a chance to sign him for £25m a couple of years ago, and United if reports are to believe for £80m this season. Both should be kicking themselves. Jack with better players around him today was unplayable. Made VVD look like Titus Bramble out there at times.

Walters_19_MuFc

Shite player they said. Continues to tear up the EPL. With the addition of Watkins and Barkley to help him in the creativity department, he'll be looking to have an even better season. Top class player!

Renegade

Shite player they said. Continues to tear up the EPL. With the addition of Watkins and Barkley to help him in the creativity department, he'll be looking to have an even better season. Top class player!
Who said he was shite? Or have you just made that up? Genuine question. I thought the general feeling around here was his highly rated but on the expensive side at 80m.