Jack Grenglish

montpelier

Blimey, Villa played well didn't they? (tbf, Brendan did say that LFC had lost to the better team!! not that we're super-keen on being fair to Brendan, obv :))

Villa goal at 2:50 is superb move from start to finish.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'd wish him well if he opted for England but I'd imagine he'll receive quite a lot of abuse from England fans in the Premier League should he continue to play with Ireland.

Classical Mechanic

Still get the feeling that he is waiting to see if he is likely to get game time as an England international.

Look at Zaha, declared for England early and now he is a million miles away from the team. He would definitely get in the Ivory Coast squad and that means World Cups would be likely.

Classical Mechanic

In fairness Zaha isn't a million miles away from the England squad, and if he continues to settle well at Palace he might be back in there.
Not many players at clubs like Palace get in the England squad. He is young, granted, but I am not looking at him and thinking he is close to a call up.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
In fairness Zaha isn't a million miles away from the England squad, and if he continues to settle well at Palace he might be back in there.
Would want to develop a hell of a lot. Has to get in over Delph, Townsend, Sterling, Walcott, Welbeck (if he's playing wide attacker) and Young. Edit: also Ox.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'd wish him well if he opted for England but I'd imagine he'll receive quite a lot of abuse from England fans in the Premier League should he continue to play with Ireland.
Aye, I'm a huge fan of his and will always support him whatever country he chooses. The rich part is the cnuts who will give him abuse probably didn't even know who he was before the Liverpool match. You have the same Irish cnuts though giving it large now since he isn't choosing us right away.

I doubt it, nobody really cares.
You've already got journalists publishing articles about how Jack shouldn't be allowed to play for Ireland. Martin Samuel just wrote one of the worst articles I've ever read on the topic.

Would want to develop a hell of a lot. Has to get in over Delph, Townsend, Sterling, Walcott, Welbeck (if he's playing wide attacker) and Young. Edit: also Ox.
Delph is a CM. But you are right there are quite a few players ahead of Zaha.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Delph is a CM. But you are right there are quite a few players ahead of Zaha.
I know he is for Villa, but I thought he was playing on the wing for England in one of those qualifiers. Though, I could be completely imagining this.

limerickcitykid

I know he is for Villa, but I thought he was playing on the wing for England in one of those qualifiers. Though, I could be completely imagining this.
I don't watch England if they play at the same time as Ireland so maybe but they usually play the diamond and Delph would play on the left side so he'd probably be out wide quite often as he runs a lot. But thinking about that with the diamond there is even less chance for Zaha seen as England don't even always use wingers.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
You've already got journalists publishing articles about how Jack shouldn't be allowed to play for Ireland. Martin Samuel just wrote one of the worst articles I've ever read on the topic.
Yeah but that's what journalists do because they're cynical pieces of shit that just want to get numbers and sales.

Actual people don't really give a shit who he plays for, especially when he's never really likely to play for England anyway.

RedorDead21

Yeah but that's what journalists do because they're cynical pieces of shit that just want to get numbers and sales.

Actual people don't really give a shit who he plays for, especially when he's never really likely to play for England anyway.
Why not?

matherto

Just a feeling, doesn't strike me as anything more special than a Scott Sinclair type.

Mind you with Hodgson in charge he'll probably get a cap or two.

Yes, I'm aware he's only young so could very well improve and get in the team that way.

matherto

And you are assuming a large group of people aren't cynical pieces of shit? Well that's where I'd disagree.
Oh no, they undoubtedly are, but I'd imagine the question of nationality and eligibility for the national team matters more on your side of the Irish Sea than it does to people in England. If he was the second coming of Messi or Ronaldo then there might be a bit more uproar but then I suppose he'd already have been called up for England if he was.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Seriously, all this hype because of one good performance? He wasn't even the best player in that game! (Delph)

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Seriously, all this hype because of one good performance? He wasn't even the best player in that game! (Delph)
I hate posts like this. So basically what you're saying is that this is the first time you've heard of/seen him?

Plenty of posters will have known about Grealish for a number of years. He's been hyped as the best player to come from Villa's acacemy since Barry. He then put in a good, disciplined performance against a team who challenged for the title last year in a game of massive significance.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I hate posts like this. So basically what you're saying is that this is the first time you've heard of/seen him?

Plenty of posters will have known about Grealish for a number of years. He's been hyped as the best player to come from Villa's acacemy since Barry. He then put in a good, disciplined performance against a team who challenged for the title last year in a game of massive significance.
No, it's the first time I've seen much hype about him, so I can only assume that it's mainly based on one game.

cyberman

Crowley for Arsenal is the Ireland v England debate that should be highlighted more. That boy is a future superstar. He considers himself Irish and was brought up that way, played GAA until he was forced by Arsenal to give it up. Has had Wilshere / Woy / the suits at the FA in his ear to play for them. One of the top prospects in the country.

limerickcitykid

played GAA until he was forced by Arsenal to give it up.
Jack played the GAA as well, scored a point at Croker.

They've already tapped Dan up so don't see much chance of us getting him back unless he doesn't turn out good enough but he'll still likely get 1 or 2 caps. If he wants to play for England though then good luck to him. If you are willing to put on the England shirt then you don't have the passion for the green that I want to see in our players.

Edit: Actually feck it, after reading more on him he is welcome back. Tweets about Ireland when we play as well. Jack doesn't tweet about England.

Last edited:

AKDevil

Jack played the GAA as well, scored a point at Croker.

They've already tapped Dan up so don't see much chance of us getting him back unless he doesn't turn out good enough but he'll still likely get 1 or 2 caps. If he wants to play for England though then good luck to him. If you are willing to put on the England shirt then you don't have the passion for the green that I want to see in our players.
Hasn't Crowley been in England set up at least since 16? Remember seeing him playing for England in the Victory Shield when he was 14. One of his first touches was a no look pass. At 14. He was ridiculously tiny. Shirt way, way too big. People who know say he is better than Grealish and if he had stayed at Villa rather than become just another player at Arsenal he too would probably be knocking on the first-team door, especially under Sherwood.

limerickcitykid

Hasn't Crowley been in England set up at least since 16? Remember seeing him playing for England in the Victory Shield when he was 14. One of his first touches was a no look pass. At 14. He was ridiculously tiny. Shirt way, way too big. People who know say he is better than Grealish and if he had stayed at Villa rather than become just another player at Arsenal he too would probably be knocking on the first-team door, especially under Sherwood.
Yeah, he is a bit of a weird one. He has switched back and forth a few times. Said he wanted to try both of them out. He used to have on his twitter that he was an Ireland and England player. Fair play to him, its actually quite funny that he just played for both.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I don't get the whole Villa commitment thing. It is clearly bollocks to be fair. The is amateurs over here playing club, college, inter county and county football. He just can't be arsed and is holding out on us.

limerickcitykid

Chelsea have a kid in the setup (Kyle Scott) who has played for England U16s, Ireland U17s and USA U18s. He's also eligible to play for Italy but has not played for them at any level.
:lol: Has he switched back to any? Crowley would play for England one month, then Ireland the next and back to England the next month. I think once you start getting into competitive youth tournaments there starts to be restrictions on doing that though.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Chelsea have a kid in the setup (Kyle Scott) who has played for England U16s, Ireland U17s and USA U18s. He's also eligible to play for Italy but has not played for them at any level.
Chivas had a Mexican U18 lad, who played a game for the USA U18's, and they terminated his contact because of it.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Chivas had a Mexican U18 lad, who played a game for the USA U18's, and they terminated his contact because of it.
Wouldn't that be illegal? If Grealish chooses Ireland and Villa sacked him, he could sue the shit out of them!

it's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of someone not knowing which county they'd like to represent. I say that as someone who could play for England or Ireland.

Whatever Grealish decides, I hope commercial considerations or wanting to go to a World Cup have nothing to do with his decision.

KiD MoYeS

Wouldn't that be illegal? If Grealish chooses Ireland and Villa sacked him, he could sue the shit out of them!

it's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of someone not knowing which county they'd like to represent. I say that as someone who could play for England or Ireland.

Whatever Grealish decides, I hope commercial considerations or wanting to go to a World Cup have nothing to do with his decision.
I think this is the issue, as he clearly feels Irish and enjoys playing for Ireland.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Not sure how it works legally, but they have a strict Mexican only rule. Of course they could say they decided he wasn't good enough. Football clubs can terminate contracts at any time they like.
I could have played for Ireland, USA or England, well, I'd have been able to qualify. Tbh, I think I'd be quite happy to have played for either the USA or Ireland.
Absolutely, and whichever he picks hopefully he's a vast success for them.

KiD MoYeS

Those World Cup Subway sandwich adverts pay a lot of cash though!
I wouldn't disagree. :lol:

I don't think I have any issue with a dual nationality player picking one nation over another because the likelihood of playing at a World Cup is higher.

Then again I'm Irish and we regularly welcome dual nationality players into our squad.

NoPace

What player does he remind you guys of?
Thin, elegant 10 who looks to pass and move more than carry the ball constantly. Ozil isn't a million miles away, stylistically. There are more players like him in La Liga and Serie A than in the Prem and were more players like him 10-20 years ago than there are now.

limerickcitykid

I don't get the whole Villa commitment thing. It is clearly bollocks to be fair. The is amateurs over here playing club, college, inter county and county football. He just can't be arsed and is holding out on us.
What do amateur gaa players have to do with Jack's love for Villa? Because footballers get paid then people aren't allowed to love and feel close to their club? Jack grew up next to the stadium, has been going to games since he was a young'un and the whole family is Villa mad. They are very proud of being from Birmingham and Villa means a lot to them.