Jack Wilshere | I should be in the England squad

prateik

Massively massively overrated.
Looked like a talent at 18.. Didn't go anywhere. Bang average now.

A bit like Welbeck.

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
Any player taking his issues to the social media immediately is big fat loser in my books.

prateik

That's about his level. Decent when fit. Crocked most of the time. Overrated. Should fit right in.

InfiniteBoredom

Am I missing something here? Did Arsenal run him out or West Ham is offering him a tonne of money? Because moving to a team fighting relegation for half the season is surely worse than staying put?

haram

Am I missing something here? Did Arsenal run him out or West Ham is offering him a tonne of money? Because moving to a team fighting relegation for half the season is surely worse than staying put?
I dont think he was getting that great a deal at Arsenal and he wasnmt going to be playing as often as he’d like.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I actually rate him relatively highly. He's far from what he was originally hyped up to be, but I don't think he had a bad season at all, managed to play regularly in an (albeit poor) Arsenal midfield and whenever I watched them he seemed one of the brighter players on display. When we beat them he was by far their most dangerous players on the ball, and unlike some other Arsenal players he at least seemed like he was willing to give everything for the shirt. Injury wise he seemed to be alright last season, although a player with his record could break down at any minute, so I understand why Southgate left him out of the England squad.

I don't think he developed very well as a midfielder mentally though. A lot of the time it seems like he attempts to take players on unnecessarily, when a pass is the better option. Whilst it's nice to see a positive attitude from an English CM, he often beats his man then passes it sideways anyway, so it's often a case of him really not achieving much but looking good doing it. West Ham is a good level for him, he will play regularly and if he can prove that the injury issues are behind him (doubtful) then I'm sure Southgate will give him chances, it's not like we're stacked in that position. I do think people actually underrate him and say he's terrible because of the early hype and because he's a bit of a nob, he genuinely did look pretty decent for Arsenal last season.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I dont think he was getting that great a deal at Arsenal and he wasnmt going to be playing as often as he’d like.
He was offered a new deal with a slightly lower basic wage but better overall than the previous one if he managed to get the bonuses (mainly about fitness obviously).
Emery told him he was not guaranteed of a starting spot so he declined.
It was then either Turkey or West Ham, he just had a baby, stays in London, mid table Premier League club where he will surely start when fit.
Good move for him, going to Turkey would have been a mistake.
I hope he can resurrect his career and show what he only showed in glimpses until now.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
West Ham are actually doing some good business. I’m going to stick 2 of their players in my fantasy team. I Think they’ll have a pretty good season
I would go ahead and have another think about that.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
I actually rate him relatively highly. He's far from what he was originally hyped up to be, but I don't think he had a bad season at all, managed to play regularly in an (albeit poor) Arsenal midfield and whenever I watched them he seemed one of the brighter players on display. When we beat them he was by far their most dangerous players on the ball, and unlike some other Arsenal players he at least seemed like he was willing to give everything for the shirt. Injury wise he seemed to be alright last season, although a player with his record could break down at any minute, so I understand why Southgate left him out of the England squad.
This!

Look, Wilshire at this point is not (and might never be) one of the all time great English midfielders and I would not entirely diagree with the view that he is overrated. The fact is though he has been one of the better players in that 2017-2018 Arsenal side, he has managed to stay away from the treatment table for once and regardless of his actual talents he always gives it his all every time he puts on a Arsenal shirt (1), something that virtually no other Arsenal player seems to be doing these days (2).

So unless Arsenal are going to spend vast amounts of money (which they can afford by the way) on World Class CM/CAMs (unlikely) it seems insane to let him go despite the fact he has been one of their better players (both performance wise and commitment wise) during their previous season, especially when the Arsenal is still full of players (that have shown time and time again that they are not fit to wear the shirt) that deserve to go more than he does.

As for the merits of putting him on the England squad, again considering the issues we have in the area od midfield (despite England actually surpassing my expectations in the WC with this squad...for once) I would have taken him in Delph place, simply because despite being a Man City fan I feel that Wilshire is a better option than CM than Delph is (who I still feel is better off as a LB rather than a CM) at the very least.

Note

(1) Not that I have anything against players wearing the shirt of a football clubs that was not their boyhood club, so long as they always put 110% into every game they play in said shirt.

(2) Especially since Sanchez left. Which says a lot about the sorry state about the Arsenal in this day and age.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If west ham sign Shaqiri as well, then they have an excellent transfer window by adding quality in the team and spend very little money.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
This!

Look, Wilshire at this point is not (and might never be) one of the all time great English midfielders and I would not entirely diagree with the view that he is overrated. The fact is though he has been one of the better players in that 2017-2018 Arsenal side, he has managed to stay away from the treatment table for once and regardless of his actual talents he always gives it his all every time he puts on a Arsenal shirt (1), something that virtually no other Arsenal player seems to be doing these days (2).

So unless Arsenal are going to spend vast amounts of money (which they can afford by the way) on World Class CM/CAMs (unlikely) it seems insane to let him go despite the fact he has been one of their better players (both performance wise and commitment wise) during their previous season, especially when the Arsenal is still full of players (that have shown time and time again that they are not fit to wear the shirt) that deserve to go more than he does.

As for the merits of putting him on the England squad, again considering the issues we have in the area od midfield (despite England actually surpassing my expectations in the WC with this squad...for once) I would have taken him in Delph place, simply because despite being a Man City fan I feel that Wilshire is a better option than CM than Delph is (who I still feel is better off as a LB rather than a CM) at the very least.

Note

(1) Not that I have anything against players wearing the shirt of a football clubs that was not their boyhood club, so long as they always put 110% into every game they play in said shirt.

(2) Especially since Sanchez left. Which says a lot about the sorry state about the Arsenal in this day and age.
He hasn't been let go. He was told honestly what his future was so decided to move. Arsenal would be cnuts to block that.

Good luck to him. I hope he tears it up there.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He hasn't been let go. He was told honestly what his future was so decided to move. Arsenal would be cnuts to block that.

Good luck to him. I hope he tears it up there.
How do you think he will do?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
How do you think he will do?
As ever, if he stays fit and gets a run of games then he should do great. It'll be quite a wake up not having the same level of players around him though.

Honestly though I think he'll wane into nothing much, like most players after they leave Wenger.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I don't even support Arsenal and I'm disappointed for him not becoming the superstar he was once hyped to be.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Will start well, pick up a season ending injury by October, rinse and repeat for the next 3 years.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm surprised that anybody took a chance on him tbh - I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm surprised that anybody took a chance on him tbh - I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.
Well thats surprising, for a Spurs fan to have hatred towards Arsenal player, especially one who started "Spurs are Shit" chant.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Well thats surprising, for a Spurs fan to have hatred towards Arsenal player, especially one who started "Spurs are Shit" chant.
Maybe not surprising but I've honestly never seen what all the fuss was about with him - he is nothing special at all and is always injured yet some parts of the media would have you believe he could play in any team in the world. Total nonsense. For the record I have nothing against Arsenal really as I'm not from London (or England) so the whole north London rivalry thing kinda passes me by. My hatred is for Chelsea and Liverpool mostly.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If west ham sign Shaqiri as well, then they have an excellent transfer window by adding quality in the team and spend very little money.
Another player who flatters to deceive and is therefore absolutely perfect for West Ham. I wouldn't be surprised if they get relegated.

roonster09

Scout
Maybe not surprising but I've honestly never seen what all the fuss was about with him - he is nothing special at all and is always injured yet some parts of the media would have you believe he could play in any team in the world. Total nonsense. For the record I have nothing against Arsenal really as I'm not from London (or England) so the whole north London rivalry thing kinda passes me by. My hatred is for Chelsea and Liverpool mostly.
He was special when he was young, he didn't improve and was always injured.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He was special when he was young, he didn't improve and was always injured.
I don't think he was ever special. Lots of hype with virtually nothing behind it. Joe Cole lite.

Wilshere represents everything bad about the England team of the past and it's players like him that caused the national team there to be so woeful.

roonster09

Scout
I don't think he was ever special. Lots of hype with virtually nothing behind it. Joe Cole lite.

Wilshere represents everything bad about the England team of the past and it's players like him that caused the national team there to be so woeful.
If you think Joe Cole had nothing behind him for the hype he got, then you need to take off Spurs glasses.

Re bold part, all I can say is :lol:

Perfect transfer for him. He wouldn't cope outside the M25 and not good enough for the big teams.