Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Maybe but we all know this is the time of year when even the best teams can get caught out. Crystal Palace were shite last season but they caught us cold. You have to rely on your star players being ready!
the past isn’t a good indicator for the future, last year teams that progressed well in Europe had a slow start to the season because of the covid scheduling, hence why Crystal Palace were able to capitalise. Things are different & we have a large squad, our results won’t live & die on Sancho’s availability.

@8thWonder as above.

You're severely underestimating Leeds - the started last season with a bang by way of their press and threatening play. City were fortunate with a couple handballs to scrape by, and Leeds were probably the better team. Leeds tend to run out of fuel midway in the season but they are most dangerous at in the opening fixtures.

In talent sure, but both these players can be an engima against energetic sides.
See above, re: city & us struggling at the beginning of last season.

And I’m not underestimating Leeds at all, but if we believe we are a team capable of challenging City, then having 8/9 of our strongest first XI should be enough to at least draw, or am I missing something?
We’re a better team than them & 90% of the league, we’re in a battle with 3 other similarly rated teams, with City as clear favourites, I’m not saying we’re gonna thrash them but a draw at minimum should be the expectation here, even without Sancho.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
the past isn’t a good indicator for the future, last year teams that progressed well in Europe had a slow start to the season because of the covid scheduling, hence why Crystal Palace were able to capitalise. Things are different & we have a large squad, our results won’t live & die on Sancho’s availability.

@8thWonder as above.

And I’m not underestimating Leeds at all, but if we believe we are a team capable of challenging City, then having 8/9 of our strongest first XI should be enough to at least draw, or am I missing something?
We’re a better team than them & 90% of the league, we’re in a battle with 3 other similarly rated teams, with City as clear favourites, I’m not saying we’re gonna thrash them but a draw at minimum should be the expectation here, even without Sancho.
Yes, you're missing the fact that the pre-season has been disrupted and it's shorter, so it's not just a case of "we have 8-9 better players on paper, so we should win". There are other variables that are factored into it, such as the ones I named, and the fact that some better talent players may well be less suited to a team league Leeds. It could work in our favour or their weaknesses could be exposed further against a buzzing hard working team such as theirs.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yes, you're missing the fact that the pre-season has been disrupted and it's shorter, so it's not just a case of "we have 8-9 better players on paper, so we should win". There are other variables that are factored into it, such as the ones I named, and the fact that some better talent players may well be less suited to a team league Leeds. It could work in our favour or their weaknesses could be exposed further against a buzzing hard working team such as theirs.
It’s not like most of our players haven’t played football in 2 months, and the likes of Bruno, AWB & Fred will have benefited from the rest. They haven’t forgotten how to kick a ball in that time
Also Leeds have lost most of their preseason matches, so it’s not like they’re coming into this full of confidence.

Fecking hell you’d think we’re playing prime Barca, I know Leeds are high energy but we’re still a better team than them and have quality throughout our squad.
If we’re panicking about losing a match against them because we don’t have Sancho up to speed, then Top 4 is the best we can hope for.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’s not like most of our players haven’t played football in 2 months, and the likes of Bruno, AWB & Fred will have benefited from the rest. They haven’t forgotten how to kick a ball in that time
Also Leeds have lost most of their preseason matches, so it’s not like they’re coming into this full of confidence.

Fecking hell you’d think we’re playing prime Barca, I know Leeds are high energy but we’re still a better team than them and have quality throughout our squad.
If we’re panicking about losing a match against them because we don’t have Sancho up to speed, then Top 4 is the best we can hope for.
There's a lot of extremes and hyperbole coming from the posts around the Leeds game. Saying if we cant beat Leeds on the opening day we should give up, insinuating I have compared them to prime Barca (which I never did) and suggesting unless we've forgotten to kick a ball it shouldn't be a problem.

To be clear, Martial has only just returned to full training from long term injury, Rashford is out and Pogba has only returned to full training. So counting Martial and Pogba and insinuating the team is suddenly better on the opening day is presumptuous at best. Saying that we should be fine beating Leeds because we have 8-9 better players isn't outlandish but to suggest we might as well give up if we can't win is just extreme.

You've underestimated Leeds here. They've had their players back earlier and training longer and the way their style of football is, it favours the opening third of the season.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Because he’s a footballer it’s not that much to ask him to end is annual leave early? Is this honestly your argument/reasoning?
Yes he’s in possibly the most desirable job in the world and has just made the biggest move of his career, making sure you are prepared for the season is vital.

TrustInJanuzaj

@8thWonder as above.

The point is though we don’t need to be without Sancho if he actually came back and trained with his new team.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
There's a lot of extremes and hyperbole coming from the posts around the Leeds game. Saying if we cant beat Leeds on the opening day we should give up, insinuating I have compared them to prime Barca (which I never did) and suggesting unless we've forgotten to kick a ball it shouldn't be a problem.

To be clear, Martial has only just returned to full training from long term injury, Rashford is out and Pogba has only returned to full training. So counting Martial and Pogba and insinuating the team is suddenly better on the opening day is presumptuous at best. Saying that we should be fine beating Leeds because we have 8-9 better players isn't outlandish but to suggest we might as well give up if we can't win is just extreme.

You've underestimated Leeds here. They've had their players back earlier and training longer and the way their style of football is, it favours the opening third of the season.
Pogba hasn’t just turned into a potato, he was arguably the best player of the tournament before his team got knocked out. Martial returning from injury is a worry, but he should also be fully rested & raring to go.
The rest of the likely starting players are coming off the back of tournaments where they’ve performed very well too, or coming back from a well earned rest period.
The biggest concern is fitness and how long they can play 90 mins, but isn’t that the case every year? And Leeds may have had more preparation but they’re hardly setting the world alight with it, they’ve struggled in preseason.

The point is though we don’t need to be without Sancho if he actually came back and trained with his new team.
Or he can enjoy a few extra days holiday considering he’s unlikely to get another prolonged period of rest (knock on wood for no injuries) for 11 months.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Pogba hasn’t just turned into a potato, he was arguably the best player of the tournament before his team got knocked out. Martial returning from injury is a worry, but he should also be fully rested & raring to go.
The rest of the likely starting players are coming off the back of tournaments where they’ve performed very well too, or coming back from a well earned rest period.
The biggest concern is fitness and how long they can play 90 mins, but isn’t that the case every year? And Leeds may have had more preparation but they’re hardly setting the world alight with it, they’ve struggled in preseason.
Pre season is a fitness game, not something to judge results by. As I've said, in all their campaigns under Bielsa, they play like a house on fire at seasons start and that's not to be underestimated. To say we might as well give up if we can't beat Leeds on GW1 is serious hyperbole. As is suggesting I thought Pogba was "some potato" .

He's no potato but he is a player that struggled when teams press high and buzz around him.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Pre season is a fitness game, not something to judge results by. As I've said, in all their campaigns under Bielsa, they play like a house on fire at seasons start and that's not to be underestimated. To say we might as well give up if we can't beat Leeds on GW1 is serious hyperbole. As is suggesting I thought Pogba was "some potato" .

He's no potato but he is a player that struggled when teams press high and buzz around him.
The point is whether or not we’re able to beat them with or without Sancho, my point is that we will be able to & even if Sancho was in the squad he would struggle from the same fitness concerns as everyone else.
Our squad is capable of beating Leeds, and should be expected to be strong favourites too - Sancho doesn’t need to cut his holiday short to accommodate this either.

Classical Mechanic

The point is whether or not we’re able to beat them with or without Sancho, my point is that we will be able to & even if Sancho was in the squad he would struggle from the same fitness concerns as everyone else.
Our squad is capable of beating Leeds, and should be expected to be strong favourites too - Sancho doesn’t need to cut his holiday short to accommodate this either.
I think our fitness concerns are worse than other clubs. We have a number of England internationals that have very little training under their belt and we also had to cancel one of our friendlies due to a Covid scare. It wouldn't be a surprise if we put in a poor show next week. Not that it will be Sancho's fault, just circumstance and bad luck.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
My point was you dressed this up with severe exaggeration and underestimated Leeds.

TsuWave

Yes he’s in possibly the most desirable job in the world and has just made the biggest move of his career, making sure you are prepared for the season is vital.
this is idiotic. on multiple levels. Guy is not allowed his annual leave because trustinjanuzaj finds football the most desirable job in the world. Guy has been training and running around damn near a year without stopping and man on redcafe is banging keyboard about “being prepared for the season is vital”. Why draw the line there? Might as well demand he never leaves Carrington

TrustInJanuzaj

this is idiotic. on multiple levels. Guy is not allowed his annual leave because trustinjanuzaj finds football the most desirable job in the world. Guy has been training and running around damn near a year without stopping and man on redcafe is banging keyboard about “being prepared for the season is vital”. Why draw the line there? Might as well demand he never leaves Carrington
Yes because that’s the same thing. Coming back three days early is hardly the enforcement of North Korea. Again he’s coming back to play football not do some crappy job.

Marwood

We can beat the vast majority of teams without Sancho. In fact we can realistically beat every team in the league without him, as proved last season.

By your reasoning why bother signing him? We don't need him to beat these teams afterall.

Marwood

He had 6 week off mid season with injury. He ended up playing an average amount of games last year. Full summer off before that.

Then obviously the euros, one game over the summer. Yeah some training but mid competition how hard do you think that training is? It's just maintenance stuff.

If you think asking Sancho to come back and at least feature in one pre season game is harsh you must be fuming with Ole for allowing Maguire, Shaw and Bruno to return before him.

TsuWave

Yes because that’s the same thing. Coming back three days early is hardly the enforcement of North Korea. Again he’s coming back to play football not do some crappy job.
Do you think playing football is just turning up when it’s kick off time or something? You make it sound like playing football is some trivial thing, there’s millions of people that attempt and don’t get anywhere near the levels of the likes of Sancho. It is hard work. The guy deserves his time off and the club evidently agrees. What the feck are we talking about right now?

He had 6 week off mid season with injury. He ended up playing an average amount of games last year. Full summer off before that.

Then obviously the euros, one game over the summer. Yeah some training but mid competition how hard do you think that training is? It's just maintenance stuff.

If you think asking Sancho to come back and at least feature in one pre season game is harsh you must be fuming with Ole for allowing Maguire, Shaw and Bruno to return before him.
I don’t think it’s harsh, I think it’s idiotic. I don’t care how easy you guys think the training is, the guy has the right for his holiday. There’s really nothing to discuss here. And I also feel like this conversation is getting dumber with each reply I get. Not being entitled and thinking Sancho has all the right in the world to enjoy his well deserved time off, something the club has clearly given the green light to is now being translated into fuming because Maguire, Shaw and Bruno decided to return early.

Bruno was a wasteman at the euros by the way. Instead of trying to do employee of the month he could maybe do with the rest.

TheReligion

Abusive
Our fans are weird. He needed the break mentally more than anything else. Incase everyone forgot the penalty miss and racial abuse he suffered. He's only young. Give it a rest.

Hopefully none of you have management responsibilities at work.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Our fans are weird. He needed the break mentally more than anything else. Incase everyone forgot the penalty miss and racial abuse he suffered. He's only young. Give it a rest.

Hopefully none of you have management responsibilities at work.
it’s ridiculous, our fan base is so toxic. The lad hasn’t even kicked a ball and already a narrative has been created.

TheReligion

Abusive
it’s ridiculous, our fan base is so toxic. The lad hasn’t even kicked a ball and already a narrative has been created.
I like to think it's not just our fanbase which attracts these kinds of characters but yeah it's very irritating how far out of touch with reality so many are.

I'm utterly convinced I've been arguing with actual children recently.

Marwood

Does everything you don't agree with have to be a narrative and toxic?

I'm really excited to see him play.

I just think he could have got involved in pre season at some point. Nothing more than that.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Does everything you don't agree with have to be a narrative and toxic?

I'm really excited to see him play.

I just think he could have got involved in pre season at some point. Nothing more than that.
The toxicity isn’t limited to this topic. I’m pretty sure Ole will sub him on anyway, so I don’t get what the fuss is about over him missing 3/4 days of cardio & light training - which I’m pretty sure he’s doing on his holiday anyway, or at least he was a few weeks ago on his IG.

Real Name

I cant believe what I'm reading here. He should cut his leave so he can train few more days with the lads. And it's not a normal man's job, its a dream job cause he you know kicks the ball around.
Nobody would cut their leave but some would expect a footballer to do so. Cause its not a normal job. Well normal or normal (whatever the hell that means) its Jadon's job and he has a right to spend his full holiday. Especially since he'll 'kick a ball' around the whole year.

TrustInJanuzaj

I cant believe what I'm reading here. He should cut his leave so he can train few more days with the lads. And it's not a normal man's job, its a dream job cause he you know kicks the ball around.
Nobody would cut their leave but some would expect a footballer to do so. Cause its not a normal job. Well normal or normal (whatever the hell that means) its Jadon's job and he has a right to spend his full holiday. Especially since he'll 'kick a ball' around the whole year.
Yeh you’re right football players are just the same as you and me pal.

TrustInJanuzaj

What else would they be?
People living an almost entirely different life. It’s pretty much incomprehensible for most average people. Football as a day job just doesn’t compare to anything else which is while millions of people dream about it.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
People living an almost entirely different life. It’s pretty much incomprehensible for most average people. Football as a day job just doesn’t compare to anything else which is while millions of people dream about it.
And that's why they don't need a holiday?

AFC NimbleThumb

Can you point out whose said he doesn't need a holiday?
It's not happening, at best he makes the bench according to Ole.

Really think he could have made it to Scotland. It's not like he's cutting his holiday to drag himself into the office.

It's five days with your mates in what I'm guessing is very pleasant surroundings. Bit of football, some golf, some normal bread.

It's borderline what I'd call a lads holiday.
I’d find more if I cba.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I don’t get why people pretend to understand what it’s like. I can’t imagine it’s that much to ask to end a holiday by a couple days to go play. football. Hardly the same as sitting in an office doing depressing work.
Are you for real? What the hell is wrong with you?

The player has a holiday that is set and agreed, and after that he comes and starts training. This happens with every player, everywhere, every summer. What the heck are you even on about?
Why this nonsense?

TrustInJanuzaj

Are you for real? What the hell is wrong with you?

The player has a holiday that is set and agreed, and after that he comes and starts training. This happens with every player, everywhere, every summer. What the heck are you even on about?
Why this nonsense?
Jesus your posts are tedious. It’s pretty simple. He signed a month ago, the fact he isn’t going to be ready for the first game is a failing of the club and the player. Others have had similar breaks and cut them short by a couple days to ensure that they make the start of the season. Anyone saying “he’s just on annual leave from his job” need a reality check. He’s playing the most desirable sport in the world for a living which comes with unbelievable perks and yet apparently it’s a bloody outrage to want (not even expect!) a player to cut their holiday short by 2/3 days for some team bonding and abit of football. If Sancho hits the season on fire, happy days and all is well but if this impacts his preparation and he’s not at his best for the first few games you can be sure this will be one of the reasons. Now I’m done talking about it, I’m not outraged, I just don’t think it’s that much to ask if you want to make an immediate impact.

FreddieTheReddie

Jesus your posts are tedious. It’s pretty simple. He signed a month ago, the fact he isn’t going to be ready for the first game is a failing of the club and the player. Others have had similar breaks and cut them short by a couple days to ensure that they make the start of the season. Anyone saying “he’s just on annual leave from his job” need a reality check. He’s playing the most desirable sport in the world for a living which comes with unbelievable perks and yet apparently it’s a bloody outrage to want (not even expect!) a player to cut their holiday short by 2/3 days for some team bonding and abit of football. If Sancho hits the season on fire, happy days and all is well but if this impacts his preparation and he’s not at his best for the first few games you can be sure this will be one of the reasons. Now I’m done talking about it, I’m not outraged, I just don’t think it’s that much to ask if you want to make an immediate impact.
Should he have joined the squad on Monday? He got back from vacation on Friday. I think it’s perfectly reasonable for his to have his two week long vacation and a few more days to see his family who he probably haven’t seen much in the past year. And it’s not simple to move countries even if he has people to help. He has to find a house in Manchester, buy a car etc. I prefer to have a week free in a new place before I start to work or go to uni.

TrustInJanuzaj

Why should he cut his holiday short though? He'll play some part v Leeds.

So fecking what.
It’s not necessarily that he ‘Should’ it’s that he ‘Could’ as other players have and because he hasn’t people are frustrated that he’s missed out on vital team bonding and will now be unlikely to start the first game of the season. Won’t be an issue if we win, but people are just disappointed we won’t have all our best players available to give us the best chance to win. Winning the title is a very hard task, every game is important.

TrustInJanuzaj

Should he have joined the squad on Monday? He got back from vacation on Friday. I think it’s perfectly reasonable for his to have his two week long vacation and a few more days to see his family who he probably haven’t seen much in the past year. And it’s not simple to move countries even if he has people to help. He has to find a house in Manchester, buy a car etc. I prefer to have a week free in a new place before I start to work or go to uni.
I think he should have gone to Scotland whenever that was. If he did he would have had more chance to meet his new teammates and would very likely have been ready for the season start. Here’s hoping he’s fit and raring to go anyway and it will all be moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.