g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jadon Sancho image 25

Jadon Sancho England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I honestly can't believe people are deluded enough to be supporting Sancho here. That's absolutely bonkers. ETH barely commented about him and he threw his toys out of the pram. He has been told to apologize and is so pig headed he hasn't done so in three months.
True, it was barely a comment, but it has become very clear that that was based on EtH rating Sancho's performance (and that of other players) different than Sancho did. Apologizing would therefore mean accepting a judgement that Sancho believes is false. He could be wrong about this, but I fully get why he doesn't want to do that. And because United keeps underperforming under EtH after most matchdays Sancho currently can feel right about this.

EtH apparently still expecting an apology for me is just bad management . I don't think I have ever seen such an issue escalate this way, instead I am aware of examples where managers just acknowledge that there players have a different opinion on their own performance or even go so far as stating something like "I want my players to argue with me, it shows they want to play"

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Thoroughly disagree. Any player with character would react to public criticism by showing up on the field.
This reaction only makes sense if the player believes that he gets a fair chance. Sancho clearly believes he doesn't get that. That was the issue why he commented at first on social media about not being in the squad for performance reasons, so why would he back down from that? It makes absolutely no sense for him.

It's a different question if he is right about that, I don't really think so, but because I think the aftermath was dealt with in a bad way leads me to at least think it's possible that Sancho could be right. Although I still heavily doubt that.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
This reaction only makes sense if the player believes that he gets a fair chance. Sancho clearly believes he doesn't get that. That was the issue why he commented at first on social media about not being in the squad for performance reasons, so why would he back down from that? It makes absolutely no sense for him.

It's a different question if he is right about that, I don't really think so, but because I think the aftermath was dealt with in a bad way leads me to at least think it's possible that Sancho could be right. Although I still heavily doubt that.
I’m in complete disagreement. That you even question why Sancho should have to back down is baffling to me. Because he’s in the wrong. It’s that easy. If he believes otherwise, that’s on him being a petulant manchild.
It is the coaches job to judge performances. Sancho has been shit. Complete shit. So any negative judgement is warranted. Sancho‘s job is to convince his coach, that he’s the best option. Not only is he failing at that, he’s refusing to attempt to do that. He’s basically refusing to do his job.
And so what if he doesn’t believe he’s getting a fair chance? What about that? That’s life. Sometimes your boss doesn’t like you. Tough luck. Then you either get another job or try your best to show your boss he’s wrong. Sancho has decided to go for the most childish option, though. He’s just whining and doing nothing.
The second Sancho downed tools, he has proven ten Hag to be completely right. He reacted to mild criticism by showing the world that he lacks the character and decency to feature in team sports. He abandoned his teammates and put his ego before the teams success. Sancho has failed as a team player, for the most childish reasons I can imagine.
Under these circumstances, it is actually quite impressive of ten Hag to offer a return for a mere apology. That’s more than Sancho deserves.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I’m in complete disagreement. That you even question why Sancho should have to back down is baffling to me. Because he’s in the wrong. It’s that easy. If he believes otherwise, that’s on him being a petulant manchild.
It is the coaches job to judge performances. Sancho has been shit. Complete shit. So any negative judgement is warranted. Sancho‘s job is to convince his coach, that he’s the best option. Not only is he failing at that, he’s refusing to attempt to do that. He’s basically refusing to do his job.
And so what if he doesn’t believe he’s getting a fair chance? What about that? That’s life. Sometimes your boss doesn’t like you. Tough luck. Then you either get another job or try your best to show your boss he’s wrong. Sancho has decided to go for the most childish option, though. He’s just whining and doing nothing.
The second Sancho downed tools, he has proven ten Hag to be completely right. He reacted to mild criticism by showing the world that he lacks the character and decency to feature in team sports. He abandoned his teammates and put his ego before the teams success. Sancho has failed as a team player, for the most childish reasons I can imagine.
Under these circumstances, it is actually quite impressive of ten Hag to offer a return for a mere apology. That’s more than Sancho deserves.
We know extremely little about what EtH thinks about the performances of his players (and that's how it should be as this is about confidentiality inside the team), so we have to speculate based on what we see. And based on the team selections and tactics I see from him I am not sure that EtH is judging all that correctly. I think the key here is, if you believe that Sancho is wrong and EtH is right, than it's clear that you think as you do. But as I doubt that EtH is right I think it's possible that Sancho is not (completely) wrong.

And I didn't see any reports about Sancho refusing to do his job. Being late often etc does not look like he does a good job, but I didn't see any reports about him refusing to train - he was banished by EtH and is training on his own/with the reserves as far as I know? That's not downing tools for me. I don't believe the reports of him "training like a beast" either however.

Andersonson

I want ETH out but he was completely right here. Sancho should get sold no matter what.. He will be an issue if there's a new manager too. He was recently out in London partying while the first team had 3 games in 9 days. Get rid

AshRK

Anyone supporting sancho are the same who were supporting pogba and martial back in 2018 and were getting giddy when martial got a new contract.

lsd

The Oracle
Anyone supporting sancho are the same who were supporting pogba and martial back in 2018 and were getting giddy when martial got a new contract.

Absolute nonsense. It's insane that Sancho has been told to apologise for Ten Hag publicly criticising him.

The way Ten Hag has handled this is disgraceful and in any other business he would be the one in danger of losing their job.

AshRK

Absolute nonsense. It's insane that Sancho has been told to apologise for Ten Hag publicly criticising him.

The way Ten Hag has handled this is disgraceful and in any other business he would be the one in danger of losing their job.
Yes sancho should be rewarded with another pay rise. He should be treated like a club legend.

Marwood

Assuming that's true and the only issue ETH has with Sancho.

Abhinav

No way this guy should be let back in. His performance before this incident in a united shirt have been awful. Leaving aside the incident and the fact his ego has gotten in the way of his desire to play.

yardieUnited

you mean the two players in 2018 that kept jose mourinho from getting sacked?

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Yeah, I'm not sure that's what he's been asked to apologise for. I think it's more likely something to do with his Twitter post.
We really need to stop acting like ETH gave anything other than a pretty standard response to the question. He picked players who he felt had trained the best, this was not some big criticism of Sancho.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Sancho has never really had an outstanding game for utd even less so a great spell. Both Martial and Pogba has spells of brilliance for Utd which garnered them support. The only people supporting Sancho now are those that simply cannot stand Ten Hag and will vilify him for anything he does.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yeah, I'm not sure that's what he's been asked to apologise for. I think it's more likely something to do with his Twitter post.
We really need to stop acting like ETH gave anything other than a pretty standard response to the question. He picked players who he felt had trained the best, this was not some big criticism of Sancho.
I'm sorry but the opinions in this thread are so onesided. Sancho's behavior aside, I don't get how anybody can void Ten Hag of any blame. His handling of this situation has been nothing short of abysmal. His response is definitely not a "pretty standard response" to the question. In fact it was so clumsy and undiplomatic that you almost have to assume Ten Hag wanted to tease Sancho with it. I mean, imagine the situation: You have a player who feels treated unfairly and seems to lack motivation. You decide to leave him out of the squad for an academy player with next to no professional experience which is already very humiliating. Then you are (foreseeably) asked why he is absent and decide to give a completely blunt answer that he didn't train well, knowing fully well that he a) disagrees with that take, b) that he already felt treated unfairly before this decision, c) was subject to all kinds of social media abuse for the better part of the last year or two, including racism and d) had "mental issues" according to you yourself. And then you expect that he just swallows all of this and keeps his mouth shut? I mean, even if he did, what kind of man management is that? Then the player decides to share his point of view on the matter publicly after you did it first in relatively harmless phrasing and you decide to ban him permanently until he apologizes to you?

I'm sorry but that just sounds self-righteous and vane to me, especially the apology part. A completely antiquated style of leadership. You try to force him into an apology that he know he doesn't mean for something that you've done yourself before.

sugar_kane

This fella absolutely doesn't give a feck.

Most other footballers would have the sense to at least pretend to be keeping in shape by posting some nauseating training pics on Instagram, and keeping a low profile. Instead he's out partying.

Also reports in the last couple of days he's missed multiple training sessions with the youth team due to 'illness'

Castia

Hes still missing training sessions even now. The guy is a complete waste of space

sebsheep

I'm sorry but the opinions in this thread are so onesided. Sancho's behavior aside, I don't get how anybody can void Ten Hag of any blame. His handling of this situation has been nothing short of abysmal. His response is definitely not a "pretty standard response" to the question. In fact it was so clumsy and undiplomatic that you almost have to assume Ten Hag wanted to tease Sancho with it. I mean, imagine the situation: You have a player who feels treated unfairly and seems to lack motivation. You decide to leave him out of the squad for an academy player with next to no professional experience which is already very humiliating. Then you are (foreseeably) asked why he is absent and decide to give a completely blunt answer that he didn't train well, knowing fully well that he a) disagrees with that take, b) that he already felt treated unfairly before this decision, c) was subject to all kinds of social media abuse for the better part of the last year or two, including racism and d) had "mental issues" according to you yourself. And then you expect that he just swallows all of this and keeps his mouth shut? I mean, even if he did, what kind of man management is that? Then the player decides to share his point of view on the matter publicly after you did it first in relatively harmless phrasing and you decide to ban him permanently until he apologizes to you?

I'm sorry but that just sounds self-righteous and vane to me, especially the apology part. A completely antiquated style of leadership. You try to force him into an apology that he know he doesn't mean for something that you've done yourself before.
He went on social media and accused the manager of making him a scapegoat.
The manager had only said he wasn't in the squad because other people had performed better in training. That isn't a controversial statement and it's not criticising Sancho, especially not in the way Sancho has suggested.

Why should the manager not be due an apology for that? It's not self-righteous to want someone to apologise for spouting bs about you.
The club supported the guy through a tough time last year, can we not act like they haven't tried to show some empathy with him.

The bolded but is laughable. If a youth player has been training well enough then of course they should be given a chance if senior players aren't.

RVN1991

Yes that's exactly what i said isn't it? :rolleyes:
You're implying that a guy who constantly misses or is late to training, has been absolute garbage on the pitch and has shown major personality issues has been treated unfairly, re think that baffling take.

Shinjch

What would be the modern way of handling a player in this situation?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

This response negates the fact Ten Hag quite obviously handled the situation differently with Sancho in the previous season

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He went on social media and accused the manager of making him a scapegoat.
The manager had only said he wasn't in the squad because other people had performed better in training. That isn't a controversial statement and it's not criticising Sancho, especially not in the way Sancho has suggested.

Why should the manager not be due an apology for that? It's not self-righteous to want someone to apologise for spouting bs about you.
The club supported the guy through a tough time last year, can we not act like they haven't tried to show some empathy with him.

The bolded but is laughable. If a youth player has been training well enough then of course they should be given a chance if senior players aren't.
When you take a discussion to the public, you can't complain if somebody publicly disagrees with you. In his response, Ten Hag said nothing to deescalate the situation. If he expected that this wouldn't produce headlines and put public pressure on Sancho, he's an idiot. And if he did it on purpose, he's complicit for the situation.

The Athletic reported that Ten Hag showed Sancho videos of what he meant with his subpar performances in training after the social media incident.

What would be the modern way of handling a player in this situation?
I guess most clubs will just pretend he caught a cold or something like that. But if you don't want to lie to the media for whatever reason, there are dozens of better ways of phrasing this. He could say that it wasn't a decision against Sancho but for XYZ who trained very well and that you wanted to reward him for his efforts. That way you give it a positive spin (public praise instead of public criticism). If you really, really want to say into a microphone that you were disappointed with his performances in training, at least add something like "Sancho is a top player but sometimes we have to make tough decisions and this was one of them. Maybe we were wrong but we decided based on our impressions in training - we understand the player is disappointed but this is only a snapshot and it can look completely different a little bit down the road".

Ten Hag had absolutely no desire of deescalating the situation whatsoever.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
This response negates the fact Ten Hag quite obviously handled the situation differently with Sancho in the previous season
You assume that's the case. Nobody really knows what happened there. For what we know, even that could have been something disciplinary. And if it wasn't and Ten Hag indeed thought Sancho had mental issues, it makes his reaction even worse. Because throwing a player under the bus publicly is definitely not the way to man manage a player who has mental issues.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

He wasn't banished until he made the social media post. If it was just down to him not performing well enough he would still be training with the team the same as everyone else who can't get in the starting line up.

I do think it's way over the top to freeze someone out for having crybaby moment on twitter, but then also ETH is the manager so if it's outside what he's prepared to tolerate that's tough and you just have to accept it and apologise. It isn't for Sancho to dictate to the manager how to manage his players juat because he "Feels Ten Hag is wrong" or wwhatever.You can't just decide to completely ignore your boss because you've decided you don't agree with them,and then expect them still to trust you.

Also, we don't know exactly how far short of standards Sancho has been behind the scenes, except for knowing he had to be sent away for half of last season and has been singled out by former players for his poor levels of basic discipline. So actually we do know he's an outlier compared to the rest of the squad in terms of these issues.

I don't think he's got a leg to stand on really. It doesn't matter if ETH is right or not it's just an apology for a mistake and he is the manager

Cassidy

You assume that's the case. Nobody really knows what happened there. For what we know, even that could have been something disciplinary. And if it wasn't and Ten Hag indeed thought Sancho had mental issues, it makes his reaction even worse. Because throwing a player under the bus publicly is definitely not the way to man manage a player who has mental issues.
No one said he had mental issues by the way. Also he was not thrown under the bus.

Pickle85

Nah, rubbish. Firstly, Sancho hasn't been told to apologize for ETH publicly criticizing him at all, you're just making things up there. Secondly, ETH wanted an apology (entirely justified). The moment Sancho refuses it becomes a power struggle that no manager can afford to lose. Sancho is a petulant child that has massively inflated sense of his own importance.

USREDEVIL

Does anyone actually believe Sancho is a hard trainer?
Does anyone believe that being a weak trainer is acceptable?
Had ETH previously given Sancho special or at least additional leeway to get his shit together?
Has that helped?
Was ETH wrong in saying that you have to train hard week in and week out if you want to be in contention for Manchester United starting 11 or even bench?

Oranges038

He's made about 40 appearances under ETH. He had plenty of chances to prove something, anything at all and he never did.

He didn't throw him under the bus, all he said was he wasn't picked because he has other options and based on performances in training he wasn't picked.

Isn't that how football coaches are supposed to select a squad for games?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Had ETH previously given Sancho special or at least additional leeway to get his shit together?
Has that helped?
Was ETH wrong in saying that you have to train hard week in and week out if you want to be in contention for Manchester United starting 11 or even bench?
No.
No.
Probably yes, although details unclear.
Not much, but preseason looked good.
No.

Is Sancho the only player to whom all these points apply? If the answer to this quesion is no, he still deservedly feels treated unfairly because other players should be kicked out of the squad as well. When I see the performances of the other players I just can't imagine that Sancho is the only lazy underperforming fecker in that squad.

Cassidy

No.
No.
No.

Is Sancho the only player to whom all these points apply? If the answer to this quesion is no, he still deservedly feels treated unfairly because other players should be kicked out of the squad as well. When I see the performances of the other players I just can't imagine that Sancho is the only lazy underperforming fecker in that squad.
Other players have been sold, dropped etc, also he was kicked out of the squad for going public and not apologising, no other player has done what he did and survived, the other player to go public got his contract terminated.

USREDEVIL

No.
No.
No.

Probably not. And i agree about others likely not being training gods, but if ETH made the same comment about any other player, like Rashford, for example, i'd still say it was not a big deal and Rashford should apologize.
Although i don't follow Sancho apparently he gives a feck currently and is out partying. That says a lot about who he is.

Cassidy

The number of fans making excuses for Sancho still to this day amazes me, even when he got special treatment the season before and has a track record of unprofessional behavior at his previous club.

You know hes not the only player in the current squad to lose his place due to training/professionalism. Happened to Rashford last season, and happened to Garnacho start of last season. ETH mentioned the Rashford incident and was even harsher because he specifically said Rashford was dropped for being late.

Yet here we are, making excuses for Sancho a player who has been given special dispensation to get his shit together and still can't act professionally. Some fans don't deserve good things

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
True, it was barely a comment, but it has become very clear that that was based on EtH rating Sancho's performance (and that of other players) different than Sancho did. Apologizing would therefore mean accepting a judgement that Sancho believes is false. He could be wrong about this, but I fully get why he doesn't want to do that. And because United keeps underperforming under EtH after most matchdays Sancho currently can feel right about this.

EtH apparently still expecting an apology for me is just bad management . I don't think I have ever seen such an issue escalate this way, instead I am aware of examples where managers just acknowledge that there players have a different opinion on their own performance or even go so far as stating something like "I want my players to argue with me, it shows they want to play"
I don't think what EtH really wants is an apology.

If Sancho is so adamant NOT to apologize, Sancho can just talk to EtH, "Boss, I think you're wrong. I'll prove that on training, then just give me a chance later".

Any normal person would accept that.

freddie the red

I shake my head in disbelief at the Sancho apologists in this thread.
In between being appointed and leaving (for whatever reason and for however long that is) the manager must have absolute authority over the players in his squad.
There can be no dissent and absolutely no (effectively) calling the manager a liar.
It's the manager's job to manage and the players' to play so until the manager finishes in the job he is the one in charge.
You can't have players going off piste and as soon as the player put that post up that should have been the end of his time here, no question.
The manager even holds out an olive branch, not that it's deserved, and still the player seems to prefer being at home than on the pitch.
It sickens me that any player can treat the club, his manager, his team mates and the fans in such a manner and the thought of him thinking the manager will be gone and he might get another chance at this great club is nauseating.
The sooner he is gone the better, regardless of the current manager's circumstances.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Has that helped?
No
But also Ten Hag fell out with him. And because that's now Ronaldo and Sancho, Ten Hag must be wrong. #caflogic

Cassidy

Its not clear at all, especially when its clear it involves turning up to training on time his work rate in training etc. If the players own standards don't meet that of the coach, thats the players fault, the player does not set the standards.
Sancho doesn't believe he has to meet the standards of the manager he can piss off to another club, thats not bad judgment by ETH, its holding a standard for the squad.

Waynne

The number of fans making excuses for Sancho still to this day amazes me, even when he got special treatment the season before and has a track record of unprofessional behavior at his previous club.

You know hes not the only player in the current squad to lose his place due to training/professionalism. Happened to Rashford last season, and happened to Garnacho start of last season. ETH mentioned the Rashford incident and was even harsher because he specifically said Rashford was dropped for being late.

Yet here we are, making excuses for Sancho a player who has been given special dispensation to get his shit together and still can't act professionally. Some fans don't deserve good things
Agreed.

Do we as a club not monitor the personality or character background of a player before we even consider sitting down to conduct business? Surely the recruitment team would have gotten wind of Sancho's past transgressions at Dortmund.

I've said it time and time again and I'll keep repeating it.

I'd happily take a player that cost $10 million and that runs their socks off and will bleed for the badge than having someone that costs $100 million that doesn't give a feck about the team or club. The club really needs to recruit players who actually want to play for United. I'm sick to death of Martial, Rashford and this clown for not giving two shreds of a shite about the badge.
Get rid of all of them in the summer and give me a few Ji Sung Park clones.

At least then when we lose a game we can't fault the players for effort.

sebsheep

When you take a discussion to the public, you can't complain if somebody publicly disagrees with you. In his response, Ten Hag said nothing to deescalate the situation. If he expected that this wouldn't produce headlines and put public pressure on Sancho, he's an idiot. And if he did it on purpose, he's complicit for the situation.

The Athletic reported that Ten Hag showed Sancho videos of what he meant with his subpar performances in training after the social media incident
He didn't disagree though, he put out an accusation, which wasn't really even related.
There wasn't even anything to de-escalate until Sancho did that.

ETH showing Sancho what he means by subpar training and Sancho's actions ever since don't really show Sancho in a good light do they?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No.
No.
No.

What if the answer is yes? Because that seems very likely based on his career to date.