2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

lex talionis

I'm not sure how I feel about this as the loan move to Dortmund seems to only benefit Sancho.

I get the argument that a good performance from him in Germany will help retain his transfer value but I think the chances of him being reintegrated into our squad without an apology are slim to none.

If we want to set an example to other players then he should continue to rot in the reserves.
I agree with you that rotting with reserves is what Sancho deserves, but looking at the long term strategy the INEOS crowd are charting it seems highly likely if not nailed on that ETH will be sacked at the end of the season. And once he’s sacked it’s a clean slate with the new manager. When you think about our current options at RW no matter who the manager is the conclusion that Antony is shit is inescapable. Pellistri, nope. I like Amad and hopefully we’ll see what he’s got in the second half of the season but he may not have it. If Sancho lights it up with Dortmund again INEOS will want him back.

Ronaldo's Love Child

I agree with you that rotting with reserves is what Sancho deserves, but looking at the long term strategy the INEOS crowd are charting it seems highly likely if not nailed on that ETH will be sacked at the end of the season. And once he’s sacked it’s a clean slate with the new manager. When you think about our current options at RW no matter who the manager is the conclusion that Antony is shit is inescapable. Pellistri, nope. I like Amad and hopefully we’ll see what he’s got in the second half of the season but he may not have it. If Sancho lights it up with Dortmund again INEOS will want him back.
But I don't honestly think Sancho is an "ETH" problem. Although his form was good at Dortmund his attitude and professionalism stunk the place out there too. He's carried that over into what should have been a dream move at United and on top of that he essentially calls his manager a liar in public.

Regardless of whether ETH is manager here next season or not Sancho should not be allowed back into the squad.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Another Dortmund failure.
Why do we continue buying players from Dortmund?

lex talionis

But I don't honestly think Sancho is an "ETH" problem. Although his form was good at Dortmund his attitude and professionalism stunk the place out there too. He's carried that over into what should have been a dream move at United and on top of that he essentially calls his manager a liar in public.

Regardless of whether ETH is manager here next season or not Sancho should not be allowed back into the squad.
I agree with you that Sancho has disgraced himself, but from the perspective of those who are running the football operation it’s not hard to see Ratcliffe sacking ten Hag and letting the new manager decide who does and does not fit into his plans.

Kingofwinners

I agree with you that Sancho has disgraced himself, but from the perspective of those who are running the football operation it’s not hard to see Ratcliffe sacking ten Hag and letting the new manager decide who does and does not fit into his plans.
There is a lot of positive feeling around the change INEOS will bring. A big part of that must be the culture. Even if Ten Hag is sacked, if INEOS allow a Sancho return without an apology we will never fix culture.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If that’s the case I’d say that we’re not moving any different under INEOS. Anyone that’s seen Sancho play can say with confidence that he’s not a right winger, he’s a left winger

lex talionis

If that’s the case I’d say that we’re not moving any different under INEOS. Anyone that’s seen Sancho play can say with confidence that he’s not a right winger, he’s a left winger
One again I agree, but we already have decent left wingers in Garnacho and Rashford, in that order. Sancho, if we can ever recover his form, actually is adept at both the left and the right.

golden_blunder

Staff
One again I agree, but we already have decent left wingers in Garnacho and Rashford, in that order. Sancho, if we can ever recover his form, actually is adept at both the left and the right.
I wouldn’t say it’s equal, he’s been better on the left than the right and allegedly says himself he doesn’t want to play on the right. This transfer was just a catalogue of mistakes

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

From what I have read in some German Dortmund forums their supporters would absolutely welcome him back. Some even think he would be their best player the minute he arrives as they seem to struggle despite their positive CL campaign.

Ronaldo's Love Child

I will put forward the argument that it was United who f***** up as we either didn't do a proper background check on his beahviour at Dortmund or we did and thought it didn't matter. Sancho has been consistent whereever he's been.

Stuu

Hope he does well but only so we can sell him. He has some nice moves in the box occasionally but other than that rarely beats his man and was usually knackered and taken off around 60 minutes each match. We're really not missing much.

lex talionis

I wouldn’t say it’s equal, he’s been better on the left than the right and allegedly says himself he doesn’t want to play on the right. This transfer was just a catalogue of mistakes
It does seem as though every winger these days wants to be an inverted winger to gloss up their goal tally so I don't dispute what Sancho wants, but he actually looked undefendable from both the left and the right in his days with Dortmund. Perhaps the stats tell a different story. But at his peak at Dortmund he was terrifying for left fullbacks no less than right fullbacks to deal with.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Would usually be sorry to see a player like Sancho leave, he’s talented and on a good day he can be exciting and good to watch…but when are those days? And the way he’s acted in this situation, what a cock, even if you don’t agree…you’ve not done nothing wrong for the manager to feel that way. Take it on the chin and show him…but no. Not this guy. He’ll have another three months off at full pay then skulk off back to Dortmund. Fraud.

golden_blunder

Staff
It does seem as though every winger these days wants to be an inverted winger to gloss up their goal tally so I don't dispute what Sancho wants, but he actually looked undefendable from both the left and the right in his days with Dortmund. Perhaps the stats tell a different story. But at his peak at Dortmund he was terrifying for left fullbacks no less than right fullbacks to deal with.
I think it’s more a case of be careful what you buy from the German leagues

lex talionis

I think it’s more a case of be careful what you buy from the German leagues
United definitely have had bad luck with acquisitions from Dortmund, but during the post-Ferguson era haven't we turned every one of our new players into shit once we brought them in? I'm trying to think of a single example of a player who actually improved once he arrived at Old Trafford and it's a struggle. Look at what we've already done to Onana, who by most accounts was outstanding for Inter -- or at least had that one outstanding performance v City in the CL Final. Possibly Bruno, but since I didn't watch him at Sporting I really can't say. But what I can say is that after a strong start at OT Bruno has regressed, although not as steeply as players like Antony and Sancho.

golden_blunder

Staff
United definitely have had bad luck with acquisitions from Dortmund, but during the post-Ferguson era haven't we turned every one of our new players into shit once we brought them in? I'm trying to think of a single example of a player who actually improved once he arrived at Old Trafford and it's a struggle. Look at what we've already done to Onana, who by most accounts was outstanding for Inter -- or at least had that one outstanding performance v City in the CL Final. Possibly Bruno, but since I didn't watch him at Sporting I really can't say. But what I can say is that after a strong start at OT Bruno has regressed, although not as steeply as players like Antony and Sancho.
Neither Antony or Sancho are good enough, they don’t beat people and create, they both rely on cutting inside. The sooner we get Sancho off the payroll the better. Antony next

lex talionis

Neither Antony or Sancho are good enough, they don’t beat people and create, they both rely on cutting inside. The sooner we get Sancho off the payroll the better. Antony next
Sancho's poor attitude is enough for me to let him go to Saudi Arabia on a free transfer if a club there wants him, but we may be in the position of not being to give Sancho away. And if a ten Hag is sacked it's not unthinkable for the new manager to give Sancho a close look.

But if I had my way I would send Sancho and Antony packing on free transfers and take whatever accounting write-offs need to be taken for legal compliance purposes as we well as forving the executives who green lighted these transfers to hold a press conference to apologize to the entire world for the incompetence.

USREDEVIL

I like ETH but it's kind of coming back to haunt him when he said one mistake Pep made was underestimating the EPL. I think that is true of many of his signings and especially Antony.

Laurencio

Sancho's poor attitude is enough for me to let him go to Saudi Arabia on a free transfer if a club there wants him, but we may be in the position of not being to give Sancho away. And if a ten Hag is sacked it's not unthinkable for the new manager to give Sancho a close look.

But if I had my way I would send Sancho and Antony packing on free transfers and take whatever accounting write-offs need to be taken for legal compliance purposes as we well as forving the executives who green lighted these transfers to hold a press conference to apologize to the entire world for the incompetence.
FFP makes that very difficult. We need £40-50M for him in order to bring in a better replacement. Antony is even worse, I think that sum is somewhere between £60-90M (depending on how much of his wage we have to cover) for it not to be detrimental to our ability to bring players in.

Marcus

Or worse, he does well and the new United manager wants him back and offers a him new 5 year contract.
I doubt both actually. Really poor attitude towards training. He did the play with smile on his face thing again when signing for Dortmund. Sometimes you have to struggle and suffer to win and then you smile. Not the other way around.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Agree with that. Prior to the latest issue, Ten Hag was extremely patient with Sancho at the start of last season. I don't know what more the manager was expected to do. And any sign of weakness on his part would have made player discipline even worse.
Gareth Southgate didn't trust him either.

Marcus

The spotlight is on him. It will be interesting to see how he fares. Players who have failed in the PL and moved back to Germany haven't always set the stage on fire as before
It's a less demanding league and he can probably do well with 70% of what is required for the EPL. If he fails, then he has to go the Saudi league.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's a less demanding league and he can probably do well with 70% of what is required for the EPL. If he fails, then he has to go the Saudi league.
Timo Werner failed and just got a loan move to Spurs. So who knows...

saivet

Timo Werner failed and just got a loan move to Spurs. So who knows...
I think his wages and reputation he now has will hinder him. Whether it's the right portrayal or not, even if you're shite, having the perception that you're hard working professional player will help a lot. Similarly, some players get labelled as unprofessional and it's a difficult thing to shake off. Even he behaves perfect at BVB and some of the previous stories have been exaggerated, his name will still be tarnished.

I don't think he'll be Saudi bound but clubs that would have considered a move will think twice due to his wages and stigma.

Gordon Godot

Agree our scouting and recruitment are awful. We went all our for Bellingham, according to the Athletic article that knob end Murtough didn't let Fergie speak to him. Sancho already had a quite a few red flags around attitude, earning silly money at such a young age can ruin people if they are not truly committed. Also a lot of his highlights showed a player on fast breaks doing similar things at Dortmund, not the well rounded ability to succeed in the PL. Did a few thing well rather than anything exceptional.

Darlington Padgett

I think his wages and reputation he now has will hinder him. Whether it's the right portrayal or not, even if you're shite, having the perception that you're hard working professional player will help a lot. Similarly, some players get labelled as unprofessional and it's a difficult thing to shake off. Even he behaves perfect at BVB and some of the previous stories have been exaggerated, his name will still be tarnished.

I don't think he'll be Saudi bound but clubs that would have considered a move will think twice due to his wages and stigma.
I think our perception of the whole thing is completely different from what the rest of the world sees. I see more people criticizing Ten Hag that they are Sancho. He got lots of support on social media with messages that looked like they were celebrating him leaving a really bad place.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads