Jadon Sancho | First player in Bundesliga history to score 25 goals before his 20th birthday

Dan_F

Do people really think we have a chance of signing him? If we somehow snuck into the top 4, we’d be quoted over 100 million. I know we signed Pogba after finishing out of the top 4, but we’re in such a mess, it would be madness for him to come here.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Do people really think we have a chance of signing him? If we somehow snuck into the top 4, we’d be quoted over 100 million. I know we signed Pogba after finishing out of the top 4, but we’re in such a mess, it would be madness for him to come here.
Id like to think whoever he choses (if it's true it's between Chelsea and United) that CL won't be a factor.

For a 19 year old with (if all goes well) 13 years of top level football ahead of him to make a long term decision based on what could turn out to be 6 games (decent chance of whoever makes it between us going out in group stage) would be ridicolously shortsighted of him.

I think he'd have more sense than that and it will ultimately come down to who can convince him of the long term vision better.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
with the AFCON change, I am hoping we've thrown our name into the hat this summer.

redshaw

Chelsea have been in the CL more in recent years and won the league but I wouldn't want to bet on Chelsea making it next year if they even do it this year or not, nor United.

Chelsea seem like a good bet for him if he wants to play in England if the top two don't have plans to buy him. A lot can happen still with a poor or incredible CL at Dortmund, manager changes.

LVGSdive

To be fair, it seems to be a default setting to assume every top player is going to Real Madrid, regardless of whether they have even been linked with the player or not.

It seems the ultimate compliment you can play a footballer or something. You can speculate about where a player goes all the time, but then there is a level a player reaches where people just start assuming they will ‘go to Real or Barca’.

I mean, why can you see him ending up at Real? Media reports? Any indication he may want to go to Spain? Or just because he’s really good?
They need new forwards with Bale and Benzema getting past their prime. Real love skillful effective forward players and Sancho is the best up and coming forward/winger. I see them signing Mbappe as well. Sancho-Mbappe-Vinicius Jr could be their front 3 for the next 5-8 years.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They need new forwards with Bale and Benzema getting past their prime. Real love skillful effective forward players and Sancho is the best up and coming forward/winger. I see them signing Mbappe as well. Sancho-Mbappe-Vinicius Jr could be their front 3 for the next 5-8 years.
Everyone loves skilful forward players.

Stacks

Id like to think whoever he choses (if it's true it's between Chelsea and United) that CL won't be a factor.

For a 19 year old with (if all goes well) 13 years of top level football ahead of him to make a long term decision based on what could turn out to be 6 games (decent chance of whoever makes it between us going out in group stage) would be ridicolously shortsighted of him.

I think he'd have more sense than that and it will ultimately come down to who can convince him of the long term vision better.
Chelsea literally made it through as have Man Utd in most seasons

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea literally made it through as have Man Utd in most seasons
Yeah that's what I mean. If Sancho's waiting on whoever out of is get 4th he could literally be deciding his long term future on six games.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
with the AFCON change, I am hoping we've thrown our name into the hat this summer.
He'd be bonkers to go to Liverpool with Mane and Salah on your flanks. Besides which, do you pay anyone £300k+ p.w, or would you?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
He'd be bonkers to go to Liverpool with Mane and Salah on your flanks. Besides which, do you pay anyone £300k+ p.w, or would you?
No. Don't think anyone but Woodward would be daft enough to offer him 300k though.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
No. Don't think anyone but Woodward would be daft enough to offer him 300k though.
Post-Euros he could be a superstar and household name. I think we're talking that bracket if he has a great tournament. He's around the £200k mark now plus £100m+ transfer fee - if he has no club preference, off the back of a great Euros, his agent can just play clubs off against each other and those numbers (both fee and wage) are going to rise, considerably if he has been stellar up to the point the bidding begins.

With your wings, I can't see you throwing your hat in the ring; he and his agent also have no leverage because Mane and Salah are higher in the food chain and established performers. Putting astronomical numbers down for a player you don't particularly need, can't see it; and going to a club with a wage structure that ends at what he can enter negotiations demanding... just doesn't correlate for the player or your club.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Post-Euros he could be a superstar and household name. I think we're talking that bracket if he has a great tournament. He's around the £200k mark now plus £100m+ transfer fee - if he has no club preference, off the back of a great Euros, his agent can just play clubs off against each other and those numbers (both fee and wage) are going to rise, considerably if he has been stellar up to the point the bidding begins.

With your wings, I can't see you throwing your hat in the ring; he and his agent also have no leverage because Mane and Salah are higher in the food chain and established performers. Putting astronomical numbers down for a player you don't particularly need, can't see it; and going to a club with a wage structure that ends at what he can enter negotiations demanding... just doesn't correlate for the player or your club.
We will need a player like that though. Afcon is, in Klopp's words, a disaster for the club. We need to plan for less reliance on salah/mane, starting next summer.

His reason for joining us is of course that we have something other clubs don't. Best team in the world and playing for the best manager in the world who is known to improve anyone half decent he work with.

The bolded part might be true. Guess it depends on the player there.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Everybody interested in his signing will have to, most likely. You don't sign a player for £100m and offer him £150k a week. That's insulting.

Most likely sancho's wages will be in the region of 350/400k a week

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We will need a player like that though. Afcon is, in Klopp's words, a disaster for the club. We need to plan for less reliance on salah/mane, starting next summer.

His reason for joining us is of course that we have something other clubs don't. Best team in the world and playing for the best manager in the world who is known to improve anyone half decent he work with.

The bolded part might be true. Guess it depends on the player there.
Looking at it from the agent's perspective: are you going to advise your client to go to a club who have about the worst competition for your spot unless you're getting a call from Barca as a potential right wing-forward? At least at other clubs, Sancho is assured a start on the left or the right, which is not so at Liverpool. Going there as a stand-in during the AFCON is nice, but what about the rest of the time? And all this for less money than the market says you're worth?

One of the key reasons you are where you are is the wing-forward positions and in that sense, it's a redundant reason for another elite wing-forward to join you.

As an agent, the only way I'd advise Sancho to go to Liverpool is if they sold Mane or Salah, AFCON and the unique situation it brings, taken into account.

From your club's perspective, the outlay is spectacular, and as always, the potential for unrest, as star performers then demand parity, is paramount.

Can't see you or City being options, tbh.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Eriksen is signing for Inter for 320k after an underwhelming year (although almost on a free). De Ligt is on 250k, De Jong is on more than 300k for Barca. Sancho is the most sought after teenager in the world, surely he'll expect a similar salary.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Eriksen is signing for Inter for 320k after an underwhelming year (although almost on a free). De Ligt is on 250k, De Jong is on more than 300k for Barca. Sancho is the most sought after teenager in the world, surely he'll expect a similar salary.
Tbh I also struggle to believe those figures. Aren't there some difference in net/gross in how these are reported in different countries?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Tbh I also struggle to believe those figures. Aren't there some difference in net/gross in how these are reported in different countries?
In UK it's gross wages, in Serie A it's net wages. Eriksen wages are converted to gross.

Some of the reliable reporters reported De Ligt wages, it was around 8+4 million including bonuses IIRC (after tax).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The main issue are always bonuses. I'm pretty sure that there aren't any players in Europe, bar Messi, perhaps, with the base salary of 300k. But most of the bonuses are quite achievable — appearances, goals, trophies... Italy also underwent a tax reform and is now a tax heaven for footballers (hence the recent wave of high-profile signings). De Jong is reported on 10 + 6, De Ligt is on 12, but it's probably quite a bit less if he doesn't play, Eriksen's signing bonus is probably spread out through out his contract etc.

Edit: if anyone is interested — Italy doesn't have a significantly lesser % of tax from a salary, but footballers can pay a fix sum of 100k for all of their income that came from out of the country. So, the image rights etc., which are usually a part of their agreement with the club in one way or another, are basically tax-free (well, for those footballers, who earn millions or tens of millions on them).

Castia

Zero chance we sign him is there, we wont pay the money needed and even if we did I see no reason why he'd choose United over the long list of clubs probably interested.

I see him at Chelsea in all honesty. They'll finish 4th and have a decent budget after not spending much in recent windows due to the ban.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Looking at it from the agent's perspective: are you going to advise your client to go to a club who have about the worst competition for your spot unless you're getting a call from Barca as a potential right wing-forward? At least at other clubs, Sancho is assured a start on the left or the right, which is not so at Liverpool. Going there as a stand-in during the AFCON is nice, but what about the rest of the time? And all this for less money than the market says you're worth?

One of the key reasons you are where you are is the wing-forward positions and in that sense, it's a redundant reason for another elite wing-forward to join you.

As an agent, the only way I'd advise Sancho to go to Liverpool is if they sold Mane or Salah, AFCON and the unique situation it brings, taken into account.

From your club's perspective, the outlay is spectacular, and as always, the potential for unrest, as star performers then demand parity, is paramount.

Can't see you or City being options, tbh.
I’m not sure it’s the agent’s job to going back and forth with the player about how the football team will line up etc. He should sell the economic pros and cons. I don’t think a footballer should be asking a suit ‘what team do you think I would fit in best?’ Sancho is the football man in that context and can probably make up his own mind on who he wants.

ekestubbe

Everybody interested in his signing will have to, most likely. You don't sign a player for £100m and offer him £150k a week. That's insulting.

Most likely sancho's wages will be in the region of 350/400k a week
Out of curiosity, how much are Atletico Madrid paying Joao Felix? I have a hard time imagining them paying £300k+ a week for anyone's first contract.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I’m not sure it’s the agent’s job to going back and forth with the player about how the football team will line up etc. He should sell the economic pros and cons. I don’t think a footballer should be asking a suit ‘what team do you think I would fit in best?’ Sancho is the football man in that context and can probably make up his own mind on who he wants.
An agent of a teenager is going to be liasing back and forth not only with the player but his parents or anyone else handling him. He might not say it in such blunt terms or with tactical terminology, but how often do we hear of players needing playing time 'reassurances' before they'll consider a club?

Funnily enough, I don't think the financial aspect will come before the best path trajectory for a good agent as managing their clients will bring riches via exposure and the subsequent image/profile elevation. In other words, picking between a club where Sancho is part of a rotation, or against players considered established stars, even if said club will pay more money, wouldn't be more prudent than going to club offering less, but offering a clear and uncomplicated route to constant 1st team football.

If his client performs, once in the door, the contract renegotiations will see the financials (wage) come into line, too.

Stacks

Yeah that's what I mean. If Sancho's waiting on whoever out of is get 4th he could literally be deciding his long term future on six games.
It's more playing for a better team at the highest level. Gotta be in it to win it and gotta be a good side to participate. If one team don't qualify then they are not very good so why join them

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's more playing for a better team at the highest level. Gotta be in it to win it and gotta be a good side to participate. If one team don't qualify then they are not very good so why join them
That will be applicable to a player in their prime but someone with atleast a decade of career to come will surely look at the bigger picture and access which side he will likely have more success in the long run.

For example if Mane chose Arsenal over Liverpool in 2016 on the sole fact they had CL football at the present time that would have been a huge mistake.

That's one of the most extreme examples ofcourse but I think/hope a player with such a long career ahead as Jadon has won't be as shortsighted whatever he decides.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am struggling to make sense of how our wage bill is 30m higher Juventus', if they are paying those kind of wages to de light, whilst presumably also paying truckloads for Ronaldo.
I have no idea too.

Apparently Juventus has been paying the following wages for their top 11 players:

Ronaldo - 1m
De Ligt - 240k
Higuain - 240k
Dybala - 225k
Rabiot - 225k (free transfer)
Ramsey - 225k (free transfer)
Pjanic - 210k
Costa - 190k
Bonucci - 180k
Emre Can - 160k
Chiellini - 130k

Then the rest of their players earning around 130k (4 players), 45-90k (9 players), 20k (2 players)

And here's how much we have been paying for our top 11 players:

Sanchez - 350k
De Gea - 350k
Pogba - 290k
Martial - 250k
Rashford - 200k
Maguire - 189k
Mata - 160k
Shaw - 150k
Matic - 120k
Fred - 120k
Lindelof - 120k

Rest of our players earning around 70-90k (7 players), and 10-45k (7 players)

There's no way our wage bill is higher, at least not for this year. Maybe the data is based on the season before (without counting De Ligt, Rabiot and Ramsey etc wage bill.

Last edited:

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I have no idea too.

Apparently Juventus has been paying the following wages for their top 11 players:

Ronaldo - 1m
De Ligt - 240k
Higuain - 240k
Dybala - 225k
Rabiot - 225k (free transfer)
Ramsey - 225k (free transfer)
Pjanic - 210k
Costa - 190k
Bonucci - 180k
Emre Can - 160k
Chiellini - 130k

Then the rest of their players earning around 130k (4 players), 45-90k (9 players), 20k (2 players)

And here's how much we have been paying for our top 11 players:

Sanchez - 350k
De Gea - 300k
Pogba - 290k
Martial - 250k
Rashford - 200k
Maguire - 189k
Mata - 160k
Shaw - 150k
Matic - 120k
Fred - 120k
Lindelof - 120k

Rest of our players earning around 70-90k (7 players), and 10-45k (7 players)

There's no way our wage bill is higher, at least not for this year. Maybe the data is based on the season before (without counting De Ligt, Rabiot and Ramsey etc wage bill.
Something has to be amiss there. Juventus has a revenue €150m lower than liverpool (and an additional 100m off united's). There is no way they can afford those kind of salaries.

mav_9me

The main issue are always bonuses. I'm pretty sure that there aren't any players in Europe, bar Messi, perhaps, with the base salary of 300k. But most of the bonuses are quite achievable — appearances, goals, trophies... Italy also underwent a tax reform and is now a tax heaven for footballers (hence the recent wave of high-profile signings). De Jong is reported on 10 + 6, De Ligt is on 12, but it's probably quite a bit less if he doesn't play, Eriksen's signing bonus is probably spread out through out his contract etc.

Edit: if anyone is interested — Italy doesn't have a significantly lesser % of tax from a salary, but footballers can pay a fix sum of 100k for all of their income that came from out of the country. So, the image rights etc., which are usually a part of their agreement with the club in one way or another, are basically tax-free (well, for those footballers, who earn millions or tens of millions on them).
thanks for that. learnt something.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Something has to be amiss there. Juventus has a revenue €150m lower than liverpool (and an additional 100m off united's). There is no way they can afford those kind of salaries.
They are owned by a very rich owner though (Agnelli family is the 3rd richest owner in the world, with over 10 billion of wealth).

B20

Supports
Liverpool
They are owned by a very rich owner though (Agnelli family is the 3rd richest owner in the world, with over 10 billion of wealth).
Guess it's not just city and PSG cooking the FFP books then....

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Is it not the point of FFP to ensure that non football money is not pumped into the club? How is this different from City and PSG

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Aren't they using Fiat to pay a part of Ronaldo's image rights ? Plus they all get a free Ferrari and various things. All very legal and very cool :angel:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They own Fiat don't they the Agnelli family?
Yes, they own FCA

Also yes, players get free cars if they negotiate it as part of the contract(this is fairly normal btw)

They don't exactly pump money into the club so much as cover for any losses. They do have a sponsorship deal which just went up by a lot but is still pretty standard. Not some outrageous sum or anything

They do however help with the club's cash flow through credit lines and capital increases(in fact they recently announced a €300m capital increase)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Whatever chance there was of Sancho for us will probably die a death if we can't shift Sanchez, as the wage he's on would logically have been redistributed to Sancho.

Seems to me there's only Chelsea as a viable option in England now, and even then, they would have to shatter their wage structure and methodology to acquire him, which I'm not sure they will entertain.

RoyH1

A wild card here is Real Madrid. If they cannot get PSG to sell (very likely by the way), Sancho might be a good consolation prize for them.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
In the pole-position there are still:
-Liverpool
-Real Madrid

Anyone who thinks Liverpool would't want him or it makes no sense whatsoever cause Salah,Mane, Firmino..., should have in mind that Klopps System urgently needs some players you can rotate. There is a point in Kloops work, where the pressing system lacks some intensity and the whole effect is going down and even his world-class motivation doesn't get this back. I suggest that you do some research about his years at Dortmund and the development there.
And this point would be exactly this summer. Klopp has intalled his system, everybody there now knows what to do and when, and now you can build a deeper squad with no downfall in quality even after the first choices.
Klopps repeating of how less time and how much games there are in the PL is underlining that. Sancho would be a perfect player and would fit into that puzzle perfectly. His skills are excelent for a Klopp-system. And United fans thinking that Sancho at Liverpool makes no sense should be aware of that they propably will wake up and realize that this was all fantasy land. The best english prospect playing in the best and still developing english team, a player who fits into a pressing and fast attacking system plays in exactly that, this all doesn't sound like a mystery, does it?