Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Agree. We don't really need a CDM per say. If Matic performs at his best we could get away with him/Fred/Mctominay for that role. RW had to be the biggest priority by far. I wonder if people realise how appalling or attack has been over the last 7 years. Greenwood is a kid, and a striker. Give him time.
Our attack has actually been good this season to be fair, well second half, but I do agree we need a RW

davidmichael

I think it's pretty obvious that we know what we want, which is a single big signing, rather than Chelsea's scattergun approach. Unless we know the deal is dead for sure, why settle for less?
That’s what makes it even more annoying as we know what Ole wants and we’ve been in talks with Sancho, his reps and Dortmund for a year and STILL haven’t got it

I reckon we can afford that, but we're probably robbing Dortmund blind there.
Exactly we know we can afford it yet we’re trying to play hardball with a team that regularly gets the most for their players and for a player that has 2-3 years left on his contract, we’re simply trying to get what we want regardless of us not being in the driving seat negotiations wise rather than accepting what Dortmund want or going close to it and just getting it done so we’re settled for th

The narrative here is ridiculous. People now want us to abandon Sancho and go for basically anyone just to get some transfers over the line, when all year people have been spouting how we should be signing top talents and only those who want to come here.

Ole has clearly identified a massive talent who is his number one choice, rumours are the player wants to come, and people are chucking their dummies out of the pram just because it is taking a few weeks to negotiate. How long do people expect it to take to negotiate a £100m deal? It isn't buying a used car.
No it isn’t like buying a second hand car BUT we’ve been in talks for a year and Dortmund have been clear from the start, Havertz for £90 million on the back of one good season shows Sancho for £100 million on the back of two great seasons is a fair price in today’s game.

You’re right though as there’s no way we should abandon the Sancho deal for an inferior player just so we can say we’ve made a signing, if we’re not going to get a genuine game changer I’d rather buy no one than waste money on more squad filler players.

Tbh I like to criticise Woodward, but 120m after a pandemic where clubs have faced huge losses is pretty steep.

I'm okay with letting Mason develop there for a year and maybe retrying for Sancho next year when a year of his contract has run down and we have more money. It also lets Sancho develop his game more in a tough title battle with a strong Bayern, where we'll get to see is he has what it takes to produce regularly to beat the likes of Pool an City.

I'd be content with us going after St Maximin or Brooks for around £30-40m instead.
Brooks and Maximin are yet more squad filler and won’t move us on a level, if anything we’ll struggle for top four and then can kiss goodbye to anyone change of genuine class signings next summer and will basically become Arsenal.

Everyone saw towards the end of the restart that Greenwood will get tired being overused in a position that whilst he’s good in isn’t his natural one and means he’s tracking back, Greenwood won’t develop like people think by being overused and burnt out playing as a first choice right winger.

Sancho is one of the best players in his position in world football, would like to join us if possible, has a decade of top level football in front of him and as the Havertz deal shows the pandemic isn’t stopping genuine class players going for high fees so we should pay the fee and then we’re settled going into next season and can focus on our outgoings of the deadwood.

We need to stop buying squad filler players and start buying quality over quantity or every bit of progression we’ve seen this season since January basically counts for nothing. Brooks and Maximin would be good signings for Everton or Leicester or Wolves but not for where we want to be or expecting to move back too.

Chief123

There seems to be a sudden understanding that Dortmund won’t accept anything other than €120m up front. I’ve been following this closely and unless I’ve missed something this hasn’t been confirmed by any journalist.

It seems to have come from Romano’s tweet a few days ago. But I genuinely believe that has been misinterpreted and lost in translation. I read his tweet as him saying Dortmund don’t want the payment spread over 4/5 years and conditional add ons.

I don’t believe there has ever been a transfer in history whereby €120m has been paid up front or has been asked for.

If Dortmund were happy with €120m in instalments before, there’s no reason why financially they wouldn’t accept the same now. I highly doubt they would allow ego to get in the way of their second most lucrative deal ever.

I don’t believe the problem is Dortmund asking for €120m up front. The problem is we’ve not put a bid in at all nor have we said what we are willing to pay.

Unless I’ve missed something, no one has said it needs to be €120m up front.

AaronRedDevil

If United don’t get him this transfer. It’s over for us. He’ll be even more expensive next year along with more suitors and might end up at R. Madrid. I just hope there’s still a plan to get him this window. Probably need to sell some players first to free up more wage and get a little extra money before throwing it all at Sancho.

GoldanoGraham

There seems to be a sudden understanding that Dortmund won’t accept anything other than €120m up front. I’ve been following this closely and unless I’ve missed something this hasn’t been confirmed by any journalist.

It seems to have come from Romano’s tweet a few days ago. But I genuinely believe that has been misinterpreted and lost in translation. I read his tweet as him saying Dortmund don’t want the payment spread over 4/5 years and conditional add ons.

I don’t believe there has ever been a transfer in history whereby €120m has been paid up front or has been asked for.

If Dortmund were happy with €120m in instalments before, there’s no reason why financially they wouldn’t accept the same now. I highly doubt they would allow ego to get in the way of their second most lucrative deal ever.

I don’t believe the problem is Dortmund asking for €120m up front. The problem is we’ve not put a bid in at all nor have we said what we are willing to pay.

Unless I’ve missed something, no one has said it needs to be €120m up front.
Correct - unless there are dire cash flow issues then how the monies are spread and more importantly accounted for in the accounts is fairly standard practice. Dortmund won’t be paying for their replacement upfront in cash - everything is done in instalments these days for cash flow purposes - as Crystal Palace did last year with AWB - they sold the loan asset to a bank for a fee but got all the £50m paid upfront - accountants can do anything these days.
If the final deal price can be agreed then the rest is accounting details

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If United don’t get him this transfer. It’s over for us. He’ll be even more expensive next year along with more suitors and might end up at R. Madrid. I just hope there’s still a plan to get him this window. Probably need to sell some players first to free up more wage and get a little extra money before throwing it all at Sancho.
You think he'll be more expensive than 100+ m next summer!?

Amir

Sancho is one of the best players in his position in world football, would like to join us if possible, has a decade of top level football in front of him and as the Havertz deal shows the pandemic isn’t stopping genuine class players going for high fees so we should pay the fee and then we’re settled going into next season and can focus on our outgoings of the deadwood.
The Havertz deal shows that Chelsea can take the risk with Abramovich backing them and having sold Hazard for tons of money and going throgh a transfer ban.

Might be different for a club like ours that has to be more careful (and has spent around 180m over the last year).

AaronRedDevil

You think he'll be more expensive than 100+ m next summer!?
Yes he will. It’ll be a bidding war. One united will either lose or pay way way more then they should have, if united really want him still. Probably 150m easily or less if we are lucky.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yes he will. It’ll be a bidding war. One united will either lose or pay way way more then they should have, if united really want him still. Probably 150m easily or less if we are lucky.
In a year with next to no attendances, and clubs losing big wad cash?

ROFLUTION

There’s no arrogance in it, its theories based on facts and logic.

Fact: Their quarterly release to shareholders earlier this year stated that significant players sales will continue to be a driving factor of their financial model.
Fact: Their latest financial disclosure showed a £45m black hole due to the effects of covi-19.

Theory: They already expected to sell players, they now have a larger deficit. It’s really not difficult to come to the conclusion that they will be under more pressure to sell rather than less, despite the posturing of their board.

If that’s not the case and they plan to leverage low interest rate loans to patch the holes then fair enough, as Sancho is only going to come down in price next summer, some people aren’t convinced they’re in a position to miss out on that fee.
Finally someone talking sense and logic in here. This thread seems like a black hole of doom and gloom even with 6 weeks left of the transferwindow :lol:

We have solid things going on attacking-wise and yet 90% of posts in this thread is about how we will be royally screwed without buying Sancho here and now. Mind boggling.

Judas

Open to offers
Finally someone talking sense and logic in here. This thread seems like a black hole of doom and gloom even with 6 weeks left of the transferwindow :lol:

We have solid things going on attacking-wise and yet 90% of posts in this thread is about how we will be royally screwed without buying Sancho here and now. Mind boggling.
Sort of but not really, if we want to truly be successful next season, we're woefully short and we'll be exposed. It will be a massive slog with our current attacking line-up.

Giggsyking

Tbh I like to criticise Woodward, but 120m after a pandemic where clubs have faced huge losses is pretty steep.

I'm okay with letting Mason develop there for a year and maybe retrying for Sancho next year when a year of his contract has run down and we have more money. It also lets Sancho develop his game more in a tough title battle with a strong Bayern, where we'll get to see is he has what it takes to produce regularly to beat the likes of Pool an City.

I'd be content with us going after St Maximin or Brooks for around £30-40m instead.
FFS, we dont have the luxury of waiting another year without a RW. It has been 6 fecking years without one. I dont care for feckig Glazers not getting their fecking dividends, leeching on the club. This is a football club with more than 130 years history of challenging for the top honors not a fecking company to be milked to fill their feckig pockets.

sourdough satellite

It’s just part of that tired narrative from desperate reactionary fans that we are incompetent in the transfer market. Pretty much they complain endlessly about how feeble Ed and co are and then when we complete a big deal, they temporarily become the bees knees. It’s always the same tired cycle. And include such as gems as “wasting time haggling over a few million”, like a few million isn’t a feck ton load of money. Especially during a huge economic depression.

Id say the biggest stumbling block to a Sancho deal is how the payments are structured. We likely want to pay in instalments and Dortmund want all or most of the money up front, which would be extremely challenging or impossible. The fact is that the armchair fans have little or no idea how these negotiations work or the financial obligations of the club, and will simply froth at the mouth until a deal is done; using that time fo parrot uninformed nonsense about our competency and how transfers should be done.

There is very little information of any worth in this thread.
I think the issue is that we want to pay part of the fee as conditional add-ons, just like the Bruno deal, where as Dortmund want it all guaranteed.

Flying high

FFS, we dont have the luxury of waiting another year without a RW. It has been 6 fecking years without one. I dont care for feckig Glazers not getting their fecking dividends, leeching on the club. This is a football club with more than 130 years history of challenging for the top honors not a fecking company to be milked to fill their feckig pockets.
Too right!

When they cost us £100M + per year in loan and dividend payments, we should not accept lack of money as a reason not to buy the players we so obviously need.

ROFLUTION

Sort of but not really, if we want to truly be successful next season, we're woefully short and we'll be exposed. It will be a massive slog with our current attacking line-up.
Martial, Rashford, Bruno, Greenwood all entering their prime mate. People in here talk like we will just sit on our hands, if we don't sign Sancho, like we wouldn't use a good amount of money to address other problems / squad-depth issues :wenger:

Tel074

I can't understand why anyone is suprised by our lack of effort in the transfer market .. Our club is owned by leaches if they don't release funds then Woodward and co as bad as they are then they can't buy players .
It's the same story for years now even when Ferguson was in charge but his genius hid the cracks .

lysglimt

Scout
You're saying that is if we don't have any prior arranged outgoings. We're still paying for transfers we did the last couple of seasons and we're losing money, like everyone else in the current climate.
I am saying we can afford to sign Sancho - but unless we get decent money for a few of our other players, we probably cant afford to sign anyone else

DannyDee

Our attack has actually been good this season to be fair, well second half, but I do agree we need a RW
Our attack was good when we had a healthy Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, and Bruno. We can't rely on that for a 50 to 60 game season that is going to be compressed. As soon as we had to rely on Lingard, Mata or James, we were in trouble. Hell, even Shaw being injured killed our left-side at the end. Our team offers very little width.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
On a purely muppetry level, we’ve now built up the necessary volume of pages to get this transfer over 1000 pages and probably beat the Pogba transfer thread record.

If renewed rumours of a proper bid get reported, last stage negotiations, flight tracker and official unveiling will easily generate the required pages for us to match the achievement of the club in its record ever signing.

convinced Woodward was waiting for us to catch up and do his efforts justice.

JadON.
Sky have posted a click bait article. Someone should read that and get another few pages of shit up here.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sky have posted a click bait article. Someone should read that and get another few pages of shit up here.
No need.
We turn over 20 pages a day just from people popping in to say we have no chance, fused with others moaning about the board and how good chelsea are doing.

Throw in the occasional smart alec post like mine and we're turning over very nicely to 1000 pages.

Womp

idiot

Is all news we don't want to hear wrong and clickbait? I wouldn't really be surprised if this wasn't far from the truth. I understand it's a big deal, but negotiations should not be this slow. Havertz wasn't far off the Sancho deal, yet has already been sorted and they had to wait for Havertz to finish the Europa League. Not to add all the players they've signed in the mean time too.

If we can't afford it just fecking move on, we are being severely left behind. This talk about the window closing in October etc. ideally once the season starts in September, our only focus should be the matches.

GoldanoGraham

I would be amazed if this deal doesn’t get done....too much will already.....just bollocks and postering and Dortmund’s need for a replacement that’s holding it up currently

mu4c_20le

I would be amazed if this deal doesn’t get done....too much will already.....just bollocks and postering and Dortmund’s need for a replacement that’s holding it up currently
Yeah there could be a ton of reasons why it's being held up, not just hardball negotiations like the media believe. And people need to stop looking at Chelsea all the time, i mean Barcelona are in a much bigger crisis and the only deal they've done so far is the Arthur/Pjanic swap.

DarkDog

They've spent £1.2b since 2013, with a net spend of £900m.

Glazers own the club since 2005. Any money made is theirs. So any money spent in the club is their money.
Ed, is that your burner acc?

https://www.skysports.com/share/12055886

Does anyone think it’s significant they are reporting it as £108m and no longer €120m? There seems to be some psychological pricing going on here.
Sky have been doing that all along
omg, it has always been 120 mil AND 108 mil. one in euros and one in pounds. Have you been paying attention at all, mate? :)

For the 100th time it's also about how the 120m is paid, not just the amount itself.
Chelsea had 80m upfront + 20m EUR addons accepted.
We had 80m upfront + 40 EUR dismissed.

It's much harder to negotiate with Dortmund, they have Champions League to offer and a better squad relative to Leverkusen to keep Sancho from pushing for a transfer as much as Kai did.
nope-nope-nope, Chelsea are not paying 80 mil upfront, they are paying 80 mil in instalments + 20 mil in addons (apps, cl wins, ballon dors, the usual)
like coutinho was 105 + 40. Barca are still paying instalments for that 105 mil. from that 40, they are paying by those clauses like right now when coutinho won CL with Bayern, Barca had to pay Liverpool 5 mil because of that

you guys seem to have selective hearing, didn’t you know that Ed sent out info to the guys with “sources” that those numbers are unrealistic and offered 60 mil for BVB and wage cut for Jadon
problem for us is that Joel Glazer told mr Eddy that he can’t use daddys’ credit card for Jadon, so Ed went out and did his usual creative thinking. ” okay Zorc, Watzke, Jadon, you guys are gonna have to help me here. now, 60 mil+20 if Jadon wins ballon d’or and CL with us and Jadon you gonna have to get a paycut, okay lads? sound like a proper deal, yeah?” and that is when Zorc came out with “yeah, Jadon will stay with us this season and next year going to Madrid“

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Whose hands is it actually in now?
I reckon it's still in our hands.
Well initially once we secured top 4 it was in our hands and the ball was in our court.

We aparantly negotiated with Jadon and then it was out of our hands and into Dortmund’s court. Dortmund hit back with an £108M fee and we volleyed back add ons on the basis of coronavirus we made a good point. Dortmund then served up a deadline and we had no response and they aced the interview on deadline day.

Since then we’re reaching break point and we don’t seem to have advantage as Havertz is moving for big money to Chelsea. This means it’s still technically in our hands as we can pay the £108m but the ball isn’t in our court because Dortmund have control.

Hit and miss really.

Status
Not open for further replies.