Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

marktan

Tbh I like to criticise Woodward, but 120m after a pandemic where clubs have faced huge losses is pretty steep.

I'm okay with letting Mason develop there for a year and maybe retrying for Sancho next year when a year of his contract has run down and we have more money. It also lets Sancho develop his game more in a tough title battle with a strong Bayern, where we'll get to see is he has what it takes to produce regularly to beat the likes of Pool an City.

I'd be content with us going after St Maximin or Brooks for around £30-40m instead.

bsCallout

Difference is Chelsea are bankrolled by a wealthy owner, whereas our owners take money out of the club to line their own pockets. It’s tragic, really. And you know the fans will have knives out for Ole the moment the going gets tough due to lack of squad depth.
Its not a like for like comparison and the caveat is that Chelsea are also spending for the 2 previous windows, in which we acquired Maguire, Wan Bissaka, James and Fernandes for c.£200m. In that context, United really only need to add Sancho to prove they have kept up with Chelsea.
I agree. It is just the likely reason for the frustration.

We will fall back if we dont secure 1 or 2 signings though and Ole has earned that backing by getting CL

bsCallout

Why are you acting like Sancho is the key for anything ? He's a great player alright but imo, there're positions in the team that need more signings than the attack anyway. Not getting Sancho and we'll still have Greenwood there. Meanwhile we have only Matic as a legit DMF for example.

Sancho will be a great addition but it's not worth wasting the entire market time just chasing him and entering the season with him as our only signing.
In no world is CDM more important than RW to us.

buchansleftleg

When you consider that the last time we had a genuine threat from the right wing is when the inconsistent but threatening Nani played for us....then Sancho's price is not that high at all.

Even the worst landlords know that if you leave a property vacant it starts to erode in value. No sympathy for the Glazer's....time for Ole to use his fan base and apply the necessary pressure.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
A poll would be interesting to see how many believe this will still happen.
I think it could be interesting to see peoples views.
I won't blame the club for not getting Sancho, but I'll absolutely blame them if we spend the next 3 weeks doing nothing bar chasing him then entering the season with no signings.
Same here. I absolutely 100% believe Sancho would be the best deal we could make this summer but I understand he may be too expensive and while it’ll be sad to not get him after all the hype as long as we don’t do feck all to improve the squad it will be a palpable window.

We want the Ferrari but if we can’t afford it we still need a new car.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Sancho will be a great addition but it's not worth wasting the entire market time just chasing him and entering the season with him as our only signing.
I sometimes think it's a deliberate strategy to chase really hard to get players as a distraction from our lack of other activity.

el3mel

In no world is CDM more important than RW to us.
No it's. Greenwood has been doing great on RW for the majority of this year. We absolutely can do with a 1 more year of developing Greenwood there. Meanwhile we only have 1 DMF who's +30 and can't play 2 games a week.

Sancho will be a great addition definitely but he's not the end of the world for us. The end of the world is us not making any reinforcements in the window because we were busy chasing a target we seem to not be able to afford.

RUCK4444

Tbh I like to criticise Woodward, but 120m after a pandemic where clubs have faced huge losses is pretty steep.

I'm okay with letting Mason develop there for a year and maybe retrying for Sancho next year when a year of his contract has run down and we have more money. It also lets Sancho develop his game more in a tough title battle with a strong Bayern.

I'd be content with us going after St Maximin or Brooks for around £30-40m instead.
So spend one third of the outlay on a hugely inferior player, force our one potentially elite level player in Mason out on the right wing for an entire year only for us to be worse off for it all by the time next season rolls around.

No, sorry, it’s a neglected position within the side, I don’t want Mason there for longer than necessary and when he does become the no 9 we know he will we will still have a massive Sancho shaped hole on the RW.

Sancho can play three positions to an excellent standard, rotation with him is absolute dreamland on top of what we have currently.

I won’t have anybody say it’s not value for money. Spending even a third of it on the likes of Brooks is an expensive sideways step and doesn’t add more depth than Sancho would.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I won't blame the club for not getting Sancho, but I'll absolutely blame them if we spend the next 3 weeks doing nothing bar chasing him then entering the season with no signings.
This is an educated, reasonable and realistic expectation.

I wrote many pages ago that club deserves a degree of credit for attempting the Sancho transfer despite having serious covid19 induced financial limitations, thorough creative accountancy. That negotiation is extremely complex, requires some psychology and takes time. If that negotiation fails, it was still worth it.

However, that can't mean that we have zero finances available, and have to add more quality to the squad to continue our Premier League performance growth trajectory. I'm sure that adjacent contingency planning background checks has already occurred and can be activated as soon as we end the Sancho chase. As LVG stated a few years back, an actual transfer transaction can be completed within 48 hours.

Strats

Why are you acting like Sancho is the key for anything ? He's a great player alright but imo, there're positions in the team that need more signings than the attack anyway. Not getting Sancho and we'll still have Greenwood there. Meanwhile we have only Matic as a legit DMF for example.

We have been ignoring our right wing for years, which has had a huge negative impact on our attack.

As good as Greenwood is we are one injury away in our front three from starting Daniel James. Or even worse, Jesse Lingard.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

The team doesn't think we need a DM. We haven't been linked to any, not even by the fake Twitter journos. We have Matic, McTominay and Fred vying for that position and I will be amazed if that changes this summer.

Going out on a limb, I don't see us bringing in any CB either unless we somehow shift Jones and Rojo. No team in their right mind will take either unless there are incentives from us.

For me I would be ecstatic if we make just 1 signing in Jadon Sancho. It means we have enough depth to challenge. All anyone needs to do is take a look at how dead on their feet our entire Frontline were in the final few games of the season. Rashford for example was done at half time in a semi final of a Cup. Imagine if we had the ability to sub him with anyone good?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

I'm okay with letting Mason develop there for a year and maybe retrying for Sancho next year when a year of his contract has run down and we have more money. It also lets Sancho develop his game more in a tough title battle with a strong Bayern, where we'll get to see is he has what it takes to produce regularly to beat the likes of Pool an City.

I think most sane posters would understand if we baulked at the fee and moved on. The problem is we don't seem to be doing either.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐

Saint Maximin would get bums off seats!

No it's. Greenwood has been doing great on RW for the majority of this year. We absolutely can do with a 1 more year with developing Greenwood there. Meanwhile we only have 1 DMF who's +30 and can't play 2 games a week.

Sancho will be a great addition definitely but he's not the end of the world for us. The end of the world is us not making any reinforcements in the window because we were busy chasing a target we seem to not be able to afford.
Greenwood’s understudy is Lingard/Pereira/James. None of whom are RWs. Matic’s is Fred/McTominay who are far better swaps.

On no planet is RW less of a priority than CDM for us.

el3mel

We have been ignoring our right wing for years, which has had a huge negative impact on our attack.

As good as Greenwood is we are one injury away in our front three from starting Daniel James. Or even worse, Jesse Lingard.
You know if we don't get Sancho, we can get a cheap bench option for Greenwood. Not getting Sancho isn't a disaster for me. Not reinforcing the team generally is.

E-mal

I'd wager the last time any useful post was made in this thread was 200 pages ago.
If there are no news on this end, temporarily close the thread and Muppets can go out and suck the sunshine.
It's all gone stale here.

bsCallout

No it's. Greenwood has been doing great on RW for the majority of this year. We absolutely can do with a 1 more year of developing Greenwood there. Meanwhile we only have 1 DMF who's +30 and can't play 2 games a week.

We have Fred and McT who can both easily step in for Matic. Matic is 32, hardly old for a CDM.

We havent had a RW for years.

Greenwood is a ST playing RW. We have 0 attack on that side because AWB doesnt offer anything and Greenwood wants to be around the box, rightly so.

We only have 3 genuinely good attackers for 3 positions. A RW is essential. As it has been for 8 years or so.

Whether Sancho has to be priority, I don't care. A RW has to be though, not a CDM.

el3mel

The team doesn't think we need a DM. We haven't been linked to any, not even by the fake Twitter journos. We have Matic, McTominay and Fred vying for that position and I will be amazed if that changes this summer.

Going out on a limb, I don't see us bringing in any CB either unless we somehow shift Jones and Rojo. No team in their right mind will take either unless there are incentives from us.

For me I would be ecstatic if we make just 1 signing in Jadon Sancho. It means we have enough depth to challenge. All anyone needs to do is take a look at how dead on their feet our entire Frontline were in the final few games of the season. Rashford for example was done at half time in a semi final of a Cup. Imagine if we had the ability to sub him with anyone good?
Fred and Scott aren't really number 6 or DMFs. They're better as number 8 midfielders.

Greenwood’s understudy is Lingard/Pereira/James. None of whom are RWs. Matic’s is Fred/McTominay who are far better swaps.

As I said above, not getting Sancho still means we can go for a cheap bench option for Greenwood. It's not the end of the world for me. Fred and Scott aren't number 6 players.

We can definitely manage a good market without Sancho. Backup RW + a very good DMF + a CB or LB and it'll be a decent window for me. It's not the end of the world if we don't get him.

Of course if we get him great but it's not worth wasting the entire market time for just that especially when it's obvious we can't afford him.

bsCallout

I'd wager the last time any useful post was made in this thread was 200 pages ago.
If there are no news on this end, temporarily close the thread and Muppets can go out and suck the sunshine.
It's all gone stale here.
Every post I make is useful.

Like this one.

Rajat Jain

United and Ole are trying really hard to bring that philosophy where they just don't sign a good player, they sign one with the right attitude. All those who are getting anxious over this and calling Woodward names, kindly don't take out your lockdown frustration on the board. Have trust that we are on the right path and if we don't get Sancho, atleast applaud the changed mentality of our managing staff where we just don't buy absolutely anything like we did with signing Angel di Maria, Falcao, Schniderlin kind of players. These are the signings that become deadwood and it is a costly thing to keep players who have no chance to play for the first team.

We will make signings I feel we have learnt from the fact last year when we went too quickly for Maguire and AWB and consequently paid way over the top as clubs hold us to ransom with so much time remaining, like Dortmund are doing right now. These people who are negotiating are not dumb like most of the people in this group make them out to be.

Tired of this same attitude by folks in this group.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

SM would cost atleast 50. Better off looking outside of epl.

SATA

Can’t believe there’s been no Sancho tweets for the past 72 hours from the journos and reporters except the cousin and barber ones. The media don’t even bother making up shite anymore. What is simply happening right now?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
United and Ole are trying really hard to bring that philosophy where they just don't sign a good player, they sign one with the right attitude. All those who are getting anxious over this and calling Woodward names, kindly don't take out your lockdown frustration on the board. Have trust that we are on the right path and if we don't get Sancho, atleast applaud the changed mentality of our managing staff where we just don't buy absolutely anything like we did with signing Angel di Maria, Falcao, Schniderlin kind of players. These are the signings that become deadwood and it is a costly thing to keep players who have no chance to play for the first team.

We will make signings I feel we have learnt from the fact last year when we went too quickly for Maguire and AWB and consequently paid way over the top as clubs hold us to ransom with so much time remaining, like Dortmund are doing right now. These people who are negotiating are not dumb like most of the people in this group make them out to be.

Consistent failures would point to them being as dumb as they are being made out to be.

Rajat Jain

Can’t believe there’s been no Sancho tweets for the past 72 hours from the journos and reporters except the cousin and barber ones. The media don’t even bother making up shite anymore. What is simply happening right now?
Media and news outlets run on simple fundamentals now. Print or publish whats sold or clicked frequently. I know because I have worked in analytics in not specifically sports but media organization. Muppets like us flood the internet with desperately searching for Sancho news so in the past few weeks they would print material about it in abundance. Since it has gone cold from fans side they have stopped publishing random bullsh*t that they have been for quite sometime. Believe me there is just a couple of points here.

- United need to pay 108 mil or no Sancho, that is Dortmund's stance.
- United are still structuring the deal and haven't met the structure in which they want to pay.

Just 2 small headlines making rounds in different language along with a lot of fake ones.

News organizations sometime just show you what you want to see brother. Especially news like transfer which is basically like a hollywood gossip column. It's not of national importance, just to get clicks and ad revenue.

Last edited:

Rajat Jain

Consistent failures would point to them being as dumb as they are being made out to be.
I think you should be made the director of football at United you seem to have a plan in place obviously. Just blame everyone even if the last 4 signings (okay just remove James here) have been far more consistent and well performing than we have made after Sir Alex. Ole knows what he wants, respect that and try to keep personal emotions in check.

Apologies if what I am saying is coming out as heresy or strongly but sometimes blaming without looking at current situation is not the best option.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Fred and Scott aren't really number 6 or DMFs. They're better as number 8 midfielders.

As I said above, not getting Sancho still means we can go for a cheap bench option for Greenwood. It's not the end of the world for me. Fred and Scott aren't number 6 players.

We can definitely manage a good market without Sancho. Backup RW + a very good DMF + a CB or LB and it'll be a decent window for me. It's not the end of the world if we don't get him.

Of course if we get him great but it's not worth wasting the entire market time for just that especially when it's obvious we can't afford him.
Carrick has said they are grooming McTominay for the role but whilst I agree they are better 8s they can do a better job at DM compared to our RW options.

I agree it’s not the end of the world and if you look earlier I agreed with your sentiments but don’t confuse that with which position is more of a priority.

SM would cost atleast 50. Better off looking outside of epl.
Not saying he’s the best option but he’d be exciting to watch and cause problems!

el3mel

Carrick has said they are grooming McTominay for the role but whilst I agree they are better 8s they can do a better job at DM compared to our RW options.

I agree it’s not the end of the world and if you look earlier I agreed with your sentiments but don’t confuse that with which position is more of a priority.

Not saying he’s the best option but he’d be exciting to watch and cause problems!
No problem. We can always agree to disagree on such things.

Utdstar01

Chelsea are potentially paying £90m for Havertz. When you take that into consideration £108m for Sancho seems reasonable.

RedStarUnited

The Kai Havertz signing is actually bad for us, if we are still talking to Dortmund. It underlines Dortmund's point on the price. If Chelsea are getting a non British talent for 100m euros, Sancho should be available for 120m.

Chief123

Chelsea are potentially paying £90m for Havertz. When you take that into consideration £108m for Sancho seems reasonable.
Agreed.

I think the argument about Chelsea spending “saved up” cash can be brought to an end. They are paying just short of Sancho’s asking price for Havertz. Their other signings can be given the benefit of doubt as being from the saved up money.

Even if Chelsea are paying some in instalments, it’s still committing to an outlay despite an uncertain future.

Utdstar01

Agreed.

I think the argument about Chelsea spending “saved up” cash can be brought to an end. They are paying just short of Sancho’s asking price for Havertz. Their other signings can be given the benefit of doubt as being from the saved up money.

Even if Chelsea are paying some in instalments, it’s still committing to an outlay despite an uncertain future.
The board need to stop being morons and just pay up front or offer something close to that asking price. If Sancho was our only signing I'd take that. It wouldn't be ideal but still it would make a massive improvement to our first XI.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Does that include not bottling semi finals?

Mindhunter

Yet we are offering a goalkeeper who has never played for us £100k a week

We will be offering Pogba more money in wages..

We have saved money on Sanchez wages.

Chelsea and City are fine because they have built up money? They spent £90m last summer. They are going to spend £200m this summer.

So what Russian business are not affected?

Middle east countries are not affected?

Other clubs are affecting but luckily they planned well over the years and have a decent squad unlike United who cannot plan anything.
By plan well you mean getting acquired by an oligarch or by a oil companies run by the state? No, we haven’t.

There is no denying we have made mistakes in the past that is affecting our ability to spend freely in this difficult market. Doesn’t make it right to leverage the future financial stability of the club to right that wrong. I am sure Woodward’s folks have run the numbers and find what Dortmund is asking not feasible in the current climate.

Mindhunter

The same way Chelsea are.
Well let’s see in 5 years who are more financially stable? No point comparing with Chelsea now. Our expenses haven’t been prudent which is biting us now. Doesn’t change the fact that we need to be prudent in the future.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton

Did Ed Woodward force you to write this message at gunpoint?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Agree. We don't really need a CDM per say. We do but it's not a grave situation. If Matic performs at his best we could get away with him/Fred/Mctominay for that role for another year. RW has to be the biggest priority by far. I wonder if people realise how appalling or attack has been over the last 7 years. Greenwood is a kid, and a striker. Give him time.

Status
Not open for further replies.