Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adcuth

It’ll hit 2,000, but half of them will be after the window has closed and it gets bumped after every Dortmund game with pages of either “see he wasn’t worth it” or “goddamit Woody he should be doing that for us”.
They get locked once he signs

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The alternative is that Dortmund bluffed and you correctly predicted it. I was completely sure that was impossible until yesterday and still lack the imagination that it might happen to be honest. The outrage of Dortmund fans would be similar to you selling Greenwood to Liverpool at this stage.
Eh?

Couple of things:

- A player never really moves directly to Liverpool or vice versa, or they risk a reception of outrage akin to Figo moving from Barca to Real.
- Why would they be outraged? Because Dortmund said he wouldn't leave, even though they did the same trick with star players before?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Eh?

Couple of things:

- A player never really moves directly to Liverpool or vice versa, or they risk a reception of outrage akin to Figo moving from Barca to Real.
- Why would they be outraged? Because Dortmund said he wouldn't leave, even though they did the same trick with star players before?
They'll be outraged because they didn't sell him to Bayern. It's the highest honour for any Bundesliga club and it's fans to produce a player fit for Bayern, they're the only league where half and half scarves are a necessity and seen as an essential piece of kit. They may as well just call it the Bayernsliga.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Eh?

Couple of things:

It was obviously a little exaggeration :) I explained the situation in another post, though.

RkkMan

They agreed a deal with you. Maybe they already had weeks ago. But even if the break through occurred now, you're interpreting much into it. It's absolutely possible that the negotiations with Sancho's camp are absolutely independent from those with Dortmund.

If you make them an offer they can't refuse, obviously they will. But I doubt that number will be 120m now. I even doubt they'd sell for 130m at this point. You'd have to do something really crazy.

The alternative is that Dortmund bluffed and you correctly predicted it. I was completely sure that was impossible until yesterday and still lack the imagination that it might happen to be honest. The outrage of Dortmund fans would be similar to you selling Greenwood to Liverpool at this stage.
A bit over the top? We`re not direct rivals with BVB like Bayern, Sancho is not a homegrown player like Reus(which would be a more fitting example) and even though BVB fans will be disappointed they all know Sancho was bound to leave sooner or later and him staying is just prolonging the inevitable their anger towards Zorc would be heavy but this same guy in the past said players wouldn`t be sold and they left and the fans know this so it would simply confirm what they already know about him and their club in general

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
They'll be outraged because they didn't sell him to Bayern. It's the highest honour for any Bundesliga club and it's fans to produce a player fit for Bayern, they're the only league where half and half scarves are a necessity and seen as an essential piece of kit. They may as well just call it the Bayernsliga.
Bayern is the most unpopular club in the Bundesliga. Nobody likes Bayern fans. They generally behave like most United fans in this thread.

Infestissumam

Nah, I'm just stating my impressions. I think Dortmund is a very good example what's possible if you have a clear long term vision and execute it properly, but I don't care enough to be emotional about it. If you get Sancho, that's fine by me. It's just an interesting situation. A team featuring Sancho, Reyna, Haaland, Brandt, Moukoko and Bellingham could be genuinely world class a few years down the road. And it's a game theory scenario. If Sancho stays, Haaland is more likely to stay and so forth. But if one leaves.. Their strategy of developing young talents and growing that way is great, IMO, but at some point they have to transition. And I'm curious if they succeed in that at some point in the future (don't believe it'll happen with this crop of players tbh).
in theory, yes. But I think there's several issues that prevent that from happening. The first real problem is Bayern's stranglehold of the league ... they simply operate in a different universe than the other BL clubs, both in terms of money and reputation. Then there's the fact that leagues like PL and La Liga have a higher standing, also for a lot of players. Dortmund are a really solid club, but at the end of the day, is being second best in Germany and a last 16 team in the CL enough to really convince a player to stay when top teams from Spain or England come callling?

If they want to move beyond the stepping stone image, they need young top German players who are willing to reject Bayern and foreign clubs to help build a foundation. Thing is, none of their crown jewels are/were German ... and none of them came to Doetmund to be there long-term. Dembele didn't, Sancho didn't, and Haaland and Bellingham surely didn't either.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Bayern is the most unpopular club in the Bundesliga. Nobody likes Bayern fans. They generally behave like most United fans in this thread.
Don't know who you think you're fooling, you even copied their name but just changed a letter Bayern / Bayer ... real subtle.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
in theory, yes. But I think there's several issues that prevent that from happening. The first real problem is Bayern's stranglehold of the league ... they simply operate in a different universe than the other BL clubs, both in terms of money and reputation. Then there's the fact that leagues like PL and La Liga have a higher standing, also for a lot of players. Dortmund are a really solid club, but at the end of the day, is being second best in Germany and a last 16 team in the CL enough to really convince a player to stay when top teams from Spain or England come callling?

If they want to move beyond the stepping stone image, they need young top German players who are willing to reject Bayern and foreign clubs to help build a foundation. Thing is, none of their crown jewels are/were German ... and none of them came to Doetmund to be there long-term. Dembele didn't, Sancho didn't, and Haaland and Bellingham surely didn't either.
Ultimately it all comes down to the wages they can pay. If they can offer the same salaries as top clubs, they might convince players of staying. Not only because they can earn the same but also because the very fact that they can pay those wages will attract players of similar quality which could allow them to challenge for titles. Until then, they're chanceless in the long run, that's correct. So I think their strategy is pretty on point. Buy cheap, sell expensive and try to keep those talents around for as long as possible while doing so. In the meantime, grow your revenue streams and develop new ones until you're there. As I said, a few years and they might surpass Arsenal financially. That's already a great accomplishment. It's a gradual development.

Zoo

Solskjær should be frustrated that things take time, but United feel increasingly confident that they can reach an agreement with Dortmund on Sancho. United have ambitions that he will be available for the Palace match.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Nah, I'm just stating my impressions. I think Dortmund is a very good example what's possible if you have a clear long term vision and execute it properly, but I don't care enough to be emotional about it. If you get Sancho, that's fine by me. It's just an interesting situation. A team featuring Sancho, Reyna, Haaland, Brandt, Moukoko and Bellingham could be genuinely world class a few years down the road. And it's a game theory scenario. If Sancho stays, Haaland is more likely to stay and so forth. But if one leaves.. Their strategy of developing young talents and growing that way is great, IMO, but at some point they have to transition. And I'm curious if they succeed in that at some point in the future (don't believe it'll happen with this crop of players tbh).
BVB are enjoying and exploiting the sunshine that being associated with Manchester United brings. If I was their head of marketing, I’d also insist that the club draws this saga out, because of the exponential relevance it brings.

It’s temporary though, as once we sign him, which we inevitably will and with BVB’s full blessings, they will immediately go back to being a team only their fans care about.

you may think that’s arrogant, but its simply an accurate summation of the status quo.

Hawks2008

He's just hurt because he knows it's true.

Let the records show that the Bundesliga fans have been complete tossers this entire saga as well.
It's even worse on reddit, almost all Sancho threads are just full of Dortmund/BL fans with chips on their shoulders.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I also think this has to do with Dortmund not being on best terms with United. It's just an impression but all this insisting on an intermediary, the relatively strict public statements etc.. it seems to me that they're annoyed by United's way of approaching such transfers. Maybe the Mkhitaryan story has also left a lasting impression on them. Then again, I also think the British media are exaggerating a bit. Many incidents (for instance the "you love to see it" tweet) are perceived as affronts towards United but I don't think they were meant this way. Besides that, Zorc was questioned by journalists and the answers were taken out of context. Typical stuff, really.

Another United supporter has demonstrated quite profoundly that Dortmund indeed does rely on player sales as a revenue stream. However, I think that's just a transitional thing and not intended to be the norm. For Dortmund it's important to hold onto their stars for as long as possible. If they manage to keep a team like the current one together for a few years, it'll bring them closer to the ultimate goal of becoming an elite club. It's all cyclical for them and they are probably one or two of those "talent cycles" away from being able to keep the best players for a few years of their respective peaks. Obviously they can't force players to stay because otherwise it will harm they reputation as a talent hub. I believe that's the only reason they were willing to negotiate Sancho's exit in the first place. To me it seems as if they now happily walk away from negotiations because they kept their promise to him.

For what it's worth, Dortmund is getting closer and closer to their goal season by season. Nowadays they already have the 12th highest wage bill and the 12th highest revenue among clubs in Europe. Give them a few years and they're on par with Arsenal, the club that poached Aubameyang from them not too long ago. So it's not completely unreasonable that they could keep this team together for a sustained period of time. Hence the situation surrounding Sancho's transfer has become so delicate. They're "seeing light at the end of the tunnel".
I don't know what happened behind closed doors, but I haven't heard of anything or have any reason to believe they have any cause to be annoyed at United.

Regarding the Mkhitaryan story, if I remember it was Raiola acting like the cnut he is an breaking furniture. He represents the player, not us. Personally I'd be very happy if we never dealt with him or any of his players, even if it means we miss out on players. But Dortmund have forgiven and continue to do business with him, so I'm not sure they have a problem with us.

Also the fact that we don't play in the same league, we've haven't faced off in European competitions, and Bellingham and Halaand aside, we were not even in for the same profile of players. United are potential customers rather than rivals.

If they are trying to switch gears and want to be treated as rivals it explains a lot, but at this point of time it's more wishful thinking than fact, and seems like them getting a bit ahead of themselves.

Lemansky

BVB are enjoying and exploiting the sunshine that being associated with Manchester United brings. If I was their head of marketing, I’d also insist that the club draws this saga out, because of the exponential relevance it brings.

It’s temporary though, as once we sign him, which we inevitably will and with BVB’s full blessings, they will immediately go back to being a team only their fans care about.

you may think that’s arrogant, but its simply an accurate summation of the status quo.
And we go again with Haaland next year. He is only there as a stepping stone before going to the PL.

stevoc

Arent Bayern waiting on Thiago to ask for a move?

Given their public comments on him they seem to already know he would like a transfer.

Though i'm not sure how the Bayern fan in this thread that is claiming transfer requests don't exist in Germany thinks Thiago managed to convey his desire to Bayern.

peridigm

I thought the bundesliga started this weekend. Looks like another week. Still time to get him in before he plays any regular season matches in germany.

stevoc

As far as I understand, Sancho and his agent can only agree personal terms with United only when Dortmund gives them a written consent to do so. If what the media are reporting is true, then it means Dortmund have given him that consent to agree terms, the fee would have been communicated to United as well. It is up to United to bid for the player based on Dortmund's valuation.

If however, its the case that Dortmund have not given the written consent, then the whole story is a lie. United can not blatantly breach FIFA rules on tapping up.Something is happening though.
Come on mate personal terms are usually agreed before a bid ever goes in for a player. Yes it breaches Fifa rules but almost every club does it.

Clubs don't makes huge moves for players they don't already know for certain want to join them.

Siorac

No shit.

And people wonder why the Bundesliga fans seem to consider us to be tossers.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I thought the bundesliga started this weekend. Looks like another week. Still time to get him in before he plays any regular season matches in germany.
Cup starts this weekend, so Dortmund will have a match. Although they'll probably rest him given that he played for the national team and they are playing minnows.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

It can be both at the same time ;) But as I said, as a fan of a Bundesliga club not named Bayern you're used to such comments, so nice try.

I don't know what happened behind closed doors, but I haven't heard of anything or have any reason to believe they have any cause to be annoyed at United.

Regarding the Mkhitaryan story, if I remember it was Raiola acting like the cnut he is an breaking furniture. He represents the player, not us. Personally I'd be very happy if we never dealt with him or any of his players, even if it means we miss out on players. But Dortmund have forgiven and continue to do business with him, so I'm not sure they have a problem with us.

Also the fact that we don't play in the same league, we've haven't faced off in European competitions, and Bellingham and Halaand aside, we were not even in for the same profile of players. United are potential customers rather than rivals.

If they are trying to switch gears and want to be treated as rivals it explains a lot, but at this point of time it's more wishful thinking than fact, and seems like them getting a bit ahead of themselves.
According to reports United was irritated that Dortmund insisted on a intermediary because that's rather unorthodox. This might be a sign that Dortmund had certain reservations but who knows.

I don't think Zorc and Watzke are so deluded that they think they're playing in the same tier as United already. For me it was more about explaining why Dortmund fans might be extremely pissed if Sancho still moves after their statements - and why I don't think that those statements were hollow ones. All this talk of a deadline etc. would've been pointless adding fuel to the fire if they'd intended to sell Sancho anyway. If they just said something like "Sancho has a contract until 2023, we want to keep him and until somebody meets our demands, it stays that way" nobody in Dortmund would've gotten their hopes up and this wouldn't be such a delicate topic now. So my theory is, they had a gentlemen's agreement with Sancho and now that the deadline is over, they can backtrack without breaking their word. So you either provide them enough of an incentive to eat their words (Sancho strike or a sum bigger than they initially asked for) or he stays.

mu4c_20le

It's even worse on reddit, almost all Sancho threads are just full of Dortmund/BL fans with chips on their shoulders.
The transfer gossip thread on their own sub is one of the saddest reads i've ever seen on reddit

SATA

Come on mate personal terms are usually agreed before a bid ever goes in for a player. Yes it breaches Fifa rules but almost every club does it.

Clubs don't makes huge moves for players they don't already know for certain want to join them.
It’s also usually with the blessing of the selling club i believe. So negotiations will go on and on till an agreement and then an official bid or somewhere close finally put in. BVB will obviously be making noises if we tap up their player without consent, same like we will do if Real negotiates with Pogba. It’s only generally my belief though

Mihai

It’s also usually with the blessing of the selling club i believe. So negotiations will go on and on till an agreement and then an official bid or somewhere close finally put in. BVB will obviously be making noises if we tap up their player without consent, same like we will do if Real negotiates with Pogba. It’s only generally my belief though
So far, it's been a blessing in disguise from BVB.

The Red Thinker

Sorry but I can’t take your post seriously when you suggest that our loss/profit doesn’t affect next seasons transfer budget. You believe in your theories so let’s leave it there. Time will tell.
But surely you must understand, “next season’s” budget is in the CURRENT FY. It is you who I can’t take seriously.

stevoc

Once it gets past a certain point yeah probably true in most cases. But i'm sure most clubs sound players out about a move and roughly what they'd expect to earn before ever making contact with their clubs.

SATA

No shit.

And people wonder why the Bundesliga fans seem to consider us to be tossers.
He’s pretty much right though depends on how you want to look at it. Most of the Caf consider Bundelisga fans to be tossers as well, looking at the way they have posted the past few weeks on a Manchester forum

Status
Not open for further replies.