Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

Yeah. We definitely don't have £200 mil to spend, that's why this deal is taking so long. If we do get it over the line it will likely be at the expense of other/additional signings.

Some posters are against that and I can understand that, I'm still firmly in the get Sancho at any cost camp.
We can always dream but I’m sure you’re right. I kinda doubt we even have £100 mil but agree we should get Sancho if we can afford him, after that, any other incomings would be a bonus.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It seems like Sergio Amara repeated what we already knew and then put his own spin on some of the news. I, personally, wouldn't pay too much attention to him for now.

murali_red

The danger for us in that approach is:

1) By next summer, the financial climate might have improved to the extent that other big clubs are able to afford him.

2) He may not look kindly on us if we fail to get our act together and make Dortmund a reasonable offer (we have presumably promised his camp that we'll do exactly that).

3) Who knows where we will be in 12 months' time - given that we have only managed a top 4 finish three times in the last seven years, the club's stability cannot really be relied upon. If we find ourselves outside the CL places again next season, that would surely rule out any chance of a deal. In short, we must strike while the iron is hot - get a deal done this summer!
With the large amount of failures or not much return on 100 million investments, every club will think twice. Chelsea even with unspent transfer budget is not willing to meet the fee of Havertz. Liverpool is not willing to spend 30 million.

These are football clubs but please appreciate that they should sustain themselves as well and their people. Arsenal layed of lot of staff, it's not easy.

One spends over 80 or 100 million only when they feel the player is really needed for the club, else everyone would keep bidding for best players or potential players. We didn't spend 20 million for Haaland because we already have 3 young strikers and no big club splashed 20 million to keep him as it doesn't cost much.

Very few clubs would be interested in Sancho next season and I think our Board knows it, Dortmund is trying to create some panic, we don't even know if Sancho extended his contract till 2023. No one announces in a random interview outside training ground that player had extended contract.

Real Madrid, Barca has done big spending recently to splash 120 million on Sancho. Real has Bale on their books as well. As long as Barca doesn't improve they will feel it will be comfortable to win LA Liga and will try their luck in UCL, they are in no pressure to win UCL.

Sancho may not go to city and pep said he won't go back. Chelsea have spend considerably already, Juventus has Ronaldo on their books, Liverpool do not require, Bayern signed Sane.

There would be rarely any club to match us, forger out bidding and if Dortmund doesn't sell next summer, they will get even less next summer. One thing is clear, Dortmund doesn't see Sancho long term, even he knows it, else there would not be so much noise.

It will be better to fills the present issues and rather buying Sancho. Also if we buy Sancho, it will be even difficult to move away deadwood, since buying clubs knows we need to desperately sell. There is not much news on offers so far, it will be unfair even for players we want to move on, if they didn't find right club. We are one of the few clubs which didn't do any cost cutting so far, which is really appreciable.

I am confident we'll make top 4, Sancho will not make instant champions, so it is better to build. The board with the three managers gone by understands that and fans are also reasonably ok with how we are going as of now.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I honestly think Brooks would be an ideal squad member who would improve the options.

Not as a Sancho alternative though more an as well as.

croadyman

Not saying he would reply but someone needs to ask Romano his opinion on whether Dortmund accept three instalments over a couple of years for Jadon

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
No that's not what I'm saying but isn't it funny that the only impressive inside information was missed by every ITK/journalist?
All the other speculations are not verifiable and easy to just make up.
Yes, that's exactly what you're saying. Otherwise, you'll have to elaborate on why this specific piece of information is the litmus test on whether he's a bullshit or not. All the other times he's been spot on are seemingly invalid because this one time he's has reported on something. Sounds totally fair.

Devil81

So, if that’s true, even Sancho thinks our 70m offer isn’t realistic :lol:
More like he doesn't want to muddy the water with Dortmund unless we pay close to what they value him. In his case that's totally fair if you ask me, why would you annoy your employers if that were the case.

RedDevilRoshi

With the links to David Brooks, I think the club are looking at alternatives now. Hope I’m wrong of course as I really hope we do sign Jadon Sancho this summer but I’m beginning to lose hope that we will get him. Only way is if he hands in a transfer request.

Stacks

There is a high amount of anxiety where people are considering signing Sancho as the be-all and end-all of our season. Let's put things into perspective:
  • Will we win the league with Sancho? Most probably no
  • Will we win the league without Sancho? Almost certainly no
  • Will we finish in the Top 4 with Sancho? Most probably yes
  • Will we finish in the Top 4 without Sancho? It will be tougher but should be Yes
Hence, we must realize that ultimately, Sancho is one player and we should not be placing all our eggs in the Sancho basket. If we do sign him and if he has a poor run of games (which is expected given he's 20), the same audience would be speculating that he was at best a 60 million player but 100 million is too much.

What we need is for the money to be spent wisely. I can't believe that a talent like Thiago is in the market for 25 million pounds and we are nowhere near him. If there's a budget constraint, we need depth across midfield, CB, FB and attack. I can't see us raising a lot of money from sales. No point getting Sancho if that means we commit the same blunders in other areas of the pitch.

Let's not lose our sh*t over Sancho. Getting him wouldn't mean immediate success. Not getting him wouldn't mean doom.
I agree. Thiago for me should be the priority, as we can finally control a midfield. Our attack has shown it can score as much as Liverpool's already.

Sorry but I will still be gutted, proper gutted if this doesn’t happen.

Absolutely no guarantee we will get him next season, he’s potentially a generational talent, fills the void of RW finally! British, wants to play for us, has friends within the club already, everything is set for him to fit straight in and elevate us immediately.

You don’t get the chance to get this sort of signing over the line very often, you take it with both hands when you do get that chance.

You make valid points but it’s a passive stance. Ole needs to make an impact on the title race next season, not saying we should win it but we need to be in the mix affecting its destination, we need top level players.
considering we are 30 points off, thats a bit expectant. we have literally only just now got into the CL places. Klopp didn't make a title run as soon as they made CL. It took a bit longer and more windows.

El Zoido

I agree. Thiago for me should be the priority, as we can finally control a midfield. Our attack has shown it can score as much as Liverpool's already.

considering we are 30 points off, thats a bit expectant. we have literally only just now got into the CL places. Klopp didn't make a title run as soon as they made CL. It took a bit longer and more windows.
I think the hope is more that we’re at least in the mix up until Christmas, like Leicester. Rather than being out of it entirely by GW4.

Rolaholic

No way is David Brooks a Sancho alternative the same way that Grealish isn't that either :lol:

Papers framing it that way is sure to generate them clicks and laughs at our expense but guaranteed the club is looking at him for depth reasons not as an alternative to be a starter.

More likely he's a replacement for whichever of the likes of Pereira/Lingard or Mata leave this summer

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yeah. We definitely don't have £200 mil to spend, that's why this deal is taking so long.
Remember Solskjaer admitting that the signing of Bruno in January, was eating into the Summer budget?
That could well be true, so whatever we thought the Summer budget might be, knock off £50m.

I reckon we could probably find the money for Sancho providing Dortmund accept an instalment plan, but then a further signing would have to be dependent on a few outgoing sales to fund it.
So if we could sell 3 (Smalling, Pereira, Dalot) and make £50m then perhaps we could sign Sancho and one quality other CB or MF

Gazza

There is a high amount of anxiety where people are considering signing Sancho as the be-all and end-all of our season. Let's put things into perspective:
  • Will we win the league with Sancho? Most probably no
  • Will we win the league without Sancho? Almost certainly no
  • Will we finish in the Top 4 with Sancho? Most probably yes
  • Will we finish in the Top 4 without Sancho? It will be tougher but should be Yes
Hence, we must realize that ultimately, Sancho is one player and we should not be placing all our eggs in the Sancho basket. If we do sign him and if he has a poor run of games (which is expected given he's 20), the same audience would be speculating that he was at best a 60 million player but 100 million is too much.

What we need is for the money to be spent wisely. I can't believe that a talent like Thiago is in the market for 25 million pounds and we are nowhere near him. If there's a budget constraint, we need depth across midfield, CB, FB and attack. I can't see us raising a lot of money from sales. No point getting Sancho if that means we commit the same blunders in other areas of the pitch.

Let's not lose our sh*t over Sancho. Getting him wouldn't mean immediate success. Not getting him wouldn't mean doom.
But the whole point is that Sancho could be a foundational piece of our team for many years, not just the coming season. It is because people are taking a long term approach that makes signing Sancho now make a lot of sense. If we don’t get him this summer our chances of getting next year aren’t as high.

Reddragon93

I recently started watching the United Stand (guess quarantine is getting the best of me) and I'm enjoying Goldbrige's meltdowns over Sancho. He keeps going on and on abou how we need Sancho because he would be a statement signing and saying he only wants what's best for United. While I agree that Sancho is a world class players I don't see how any united fan who watched the Sevilla game can think that the best course of action is to spend our entire budget on Sancho instead of getting a CB a LB and ideally an AM after selling some fringe players.

United Pro

I didn't come on the Caf for a week and realise there's over 250+ pages on this thread with little to no update.

United58

But the whole point is that Sancho could be a foundational piece of our team for many years, not just the coming season. It is because people are taking a long term approach that makes signing Sancho now make a lot of sense. If we don’t get him this summer our chances of getting next year aren’t as high.
Yeah this is exactly right, I'll be very disappointed if we don't sign Sancho

Infestissumam

so on the one hand you have journalists like Romano and Falk claiming that personal terms are not a problem at all, and on the other hand you have British journalists claiming that personal terms are actually THE problem. This has got to be the weirdest saga ever :houllier:

Rolaholic

so on the one hand you have journalists like Romano and Falk claiming that personal terms are not a problem at all, and on the other hand you have British journalists claiming that personal terms are actually THE problem. This has got to be the weirdest saga ever :houllier:
At least the picture is getting a little bit clearer in that we are by most accounts very much still in negotiations and apparently even have Dortmunds permission to speak with the player regardless of all the hogwash and posturing they've been putting out there in the press :lol:

Amerifan

Geez, it’s like these guys have a transfer rumor playbook:

Offer made, no offer made.
Price agreed, price too high.
Upfront agreed, upfront too low.
He’s definitely staying, he’s definitely going.
Personal terms agreed, personal terms not agreed.
Today, tomorrow.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Alex Shaw quoting Mark Ogden quoting 'ESPN sources' that is actually Sergio Amara.

Offsideagain

Feb 17th 2019 this thread started and 742 pages later nothing has happened except speculation. We will still be posting come January I reckon but you never know, Sancho could be equally peed off with the saga and sign for PSG.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
So we can spend 10m on talented Serbian kid, then to show more serious interest in David Brooks who's still not the cheapest signing, but can't meet Dortmund's valuation over Sancho which is about 20m difference ? Right...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Dortmund’s arrogant attitude reminds me of that old anecdote:

Man: “Will you sleep with me?”

Woman: “Absolutely not”

Man: “I‘ll give you £10m”

Woman: “Wow OK then, yes I will!”

Man: “Actually I will give you £10”

Woman: “No way! What the hell do you think I am?”

Man: “We already established that, now we’re just negotiating”

Dortmund can get all haughty about the price they are demanding and mock United for not matching it but the fact is that if they are in discussions then its United’s prerogative as the only bidder to offer whatever they see fit.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Dortmund can get all haughty about the price they are demanding and mock United for not matching it but the fact is that if they are in discussions then its United’s prerogative as the only bidder to offer whatever they see fit.
Haha very good. :lol:

Rolaholic

Romano is still adamant, for the 100th time :lol:, about the personal terms already being agreed and that it's being denied only due to a lack of agreement on the fee with Dortmund so far

VanGaalEra

Boy, that escalated.

el3mel

Any positive news are appreciated for me even if the source is shite like Ogden.

Status
Not open for further replies.