Jamal Musiala

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Can we please keep the „the PL is the bestest and Buli is farmers“ crap out of this thread? Thank you

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Thank you, fecking Kagawa, Mkhi, Werner and many more seem like world beaters in the Bundesliga and then get found out in the Prem. He didn’t look remotely exceptional at the World Cup.
He actually did... but he couldn't score and wasted big chances against Japan...that game eliminated Germany from the WC.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He looked good at the World Cup but just missed a lot of chances

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Lovely goal but do the Wolfsburg players know they're allowed to stick a foot in? :lol:

I think Bayern also deserve credit for opening up the center against three CMs, being a man down.
In the blue box is one of the CMs, he's been dragged wide by Cancelo. In the Orange box you have the second CM, he's being dragged out wide by Goretzka and in the Green box you have their third CM, who is being kept in the right half-space by (I assume) Davies. Tel also keeps the left sided CB from stepping up to close the space.

Obviously Wolfsburg could have defended it better, but this wasn't just a random occurence, they were baited into this. Svanberg (number 32) in particular. He ends up looking like a lazy idiot for initially doing his job in marking Goretzka, but not instantly picking up on what's happened behind him and swapping duties with his LB.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

I think Bayern also deserve credit for opening up the center against three CMs, being a man down.
In the blue box is one of the CMs, he's been dragged wide by Cancelo. In the Orange box you have the second CM, he's being dragged out wide by Goretzka and in the Green box you have their third CM, who is being kept in the right half-space by (I assume) Davies. Tel also keeps the left sided CB from stepping up to close the space.

Obviously Wolfsburg could have defended it better, but this wasn't just a random occurence, they were baited into this. Svanberg (number 32) in particular. He ends up looking like a lazy idiot for initially doing his job in marking Goretzka, but not instantly picking up on what's happened behind him and swapping duties with his LB.
It's a good defensive shape. Can't really pick many holes with that!!

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s hard to judge how good he is. Thought he looked really excellent at the World Cup, but couldn’t finish to save his life. You see goals like that and think “wow” but then you analyse the defending and realise it looks like a secondary school game. Really comical.

Nevertheless, think he’s a big talent and will go far. Would love him at United.

Blackwidow

Sancho had 17 goals and 17 assists from the wing, playing for a weaker team.
There is a difference between Bayern and Dortmund...

But actually I believed that Sancho with the way he plays would be atleast as good as a Dembele without injuries as he really was helping BVB a lot even if they could not play their usual football. But maybe Ten Hag gets him there again as he really got the talent.

Musiala is something special. Not just because of his dribblings.

fck

Supports
Bayern
Thank you, fecking Kagawa, Mkhi, Werner and many more seem like world beaters in the Bundesliga and then get found out in the Prem. He didn’t look remotely exceptional at the World Cup.
The three players you mention were very good but calling them "world beaters" is a bit too much. And that Musiala didn't look remotely exceptional at the World Cup is also a very strange take as even a blind man could see his potential.
It's of course true that it's easier in the Bundesliga but on the other hand being a regular at Bayern at that age is pretty impressive.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There is a difference between Bayern and Dortmund...

But actually I believed that Sancho with the way he plays would be atleast as good as a Dembele without injuries as he really was helping BVB a lot even if they could not play their usual football. But maybe Ten Hag gets him there again as he really got the talent.

Musiala is something special. Not just because of his dribblings.
I agree - Musiala has so much talent he may end up as one of the best we have ever seen, up there with the you know who's.

He's ahead of Sancho at the same age by some distance for me - he plays more central and plays that position so well that he obviously has a far more complete game than Sancho does or ever will have (and that's not a slight on the latter btw).

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Take a look:

His finishing was obviously really bad, which people shouldn't forget so easily - but is that what an average performer looks like to you? When you set Timo Werner as a benchmark for a world beater in the same post - what impressed you so much about him? :lol:

Shinjch

Looks very special. What do Bayern supporters and regular Bundesliga watchers think his best position will end up being?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Looks very special. What do Bayern supporters and regular Bundesliga watchers think his best position will end up being?
Messi

;)

Regarding the 'awful defending': no defender in the world looks competent when something like this is done to them (exhibit a: twice-treble + world cup winner Jerome Boateng falling over backwards against Messi). You can brush off one or two such occurrences as shit defending, if you want, and we'll come back to this in a few years time when Musiala is known to do this regularly, or not.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Take a look:

His finishing was obviously really bad, which people shouldn't forget so easily - but is that what an average performer looks like to you? When you set Timo Werner as a benchmark for a world beater in the same post - what impressed you so much about him? :lol:
Great dribbling there, especially in those tight spaces. Takes up very good positions in between the lines as well. Will become even better once he develops more and knows when to dribble, when to pass and his finishing improves.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I agree - Musiala has so much talent he may end up as one of the best we have ever seen, up there with the you know who's.

He's ahead of Sancho at the same age by some distance for me - he plays more central and plays that position so well that he obviously has a far more complete game than Sancho does or ever will have (and that's not a slight on the latter btw).
Musiala is obviously extremely talented and the way he imposed himself on Bayern's team at such a young age is especially impressive. But I think people shouldn't get carried away with superlatives. To me it seems like raw pace and acceleration is becoming more and more important in the attacking positions, teams have gotten a lot more organized and so it has become more and more important that attackers - unless we're talking about a target-man-esque no 9 maybe - have that explosive acceleration to make the most out of the gaps that do pop up for them and I think this will end up holding him back as a wide player.

Sancho, Götze and Havertz are three players with bags of talent, whose careers ended up stalling (in part), because their lack of pace forced them away from the wings and made it hard for them to settle on a position.

Since the classic no10 is kind of a dead role too, his best bet at true greatness is probably to balance his game and end up as a CM, fortunately Nagelsmann and Flick are already giving him play-time in these roles, but unless he really settles there I think there's always a risk that he will end up disappointing the current hype.

Last edited:

mshnsh

He can't score, he was one of the main reasons why Germany got knocked out in group stage despite not playing bad at all as

If Musiala knew how to score , his value could go up to 200 millions in the future.
He can't score, he was one of the main reasons why Germany got knocked out in group stage despite not playing bad at all as a team.

If Musiala knew how to score , his value could go up to 200 millions in the future.
I said potentially. He has all the other ingredients. If he adds finishing than he is gold.

Righteous Steps

Musiala is obviously extremely talented and the way he imposed himself on Bayern's team at such a young age is especially impressive. But I think people shouldn't get carried away with superlatives. To me it seems like raw pace and acceleration is becoming more and more important in the attacking positions, teams have gotten a lot more organized and so it has become more and more important that attackers - unless we're talking about a target-man-esque no 9 maybe - have that explosive acceleration to make the most out of the gaps that do pop up for them and I think this will end up holding him back as a wide player.

Sancho, Götze and Havertz are three players with bags of talent, whose careers ended up stalling (in part), because their lack of pace forced them away from the wings and made it hard for them to settle on a position.

Since the classic no10 is kind of a dead role too, his best bet at true greatness is probably to balance his game and end up as a CM, fortunately Nagelsmann and Flick are already giving him play-time in these roles, but unless he really settles there I think there's always a risk that he will end up disappointing the current hype.
I think he is a better athlete than all the three you named, which is why he can power through defenders and go on mazy runs of dribbling past 4,5 players.

As a left sided forward for example he could still be pretty great.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think his a better athlete than all the three you named, which is why he can power through defenders and go on mazy runs of dribbling past 4,5 players.

As a left sided forward for example he could still be pretty great.
Maybe as an updated version of Ribery - a playmaker cutting in from the left side. Though their technique is quite different

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Musiala looked ridiculously good at the world Cup, what are you on about?? He was ridiculously unlucky with his finishing, but the amount of chances he created for himself and others, his dribbling and movement were simply mesmerizing and had many during those matches even mentioning Zidane the way he moved with the ball ffs

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Not sure what World Cup you watched

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Which is not bad BUT at the world cup it was the only thing missing from his game. Wouldn't have mattered if others had stepped up goals wise.
He is 19, a regular starter for a top 5 team on this planet and has a goal or assist every game. I am glad you call this „not bad“.

mshnsh

He is 19, a regular starter for a top 5 team on this planet and has a goal or assist every game. I am glad you call this „not bad“.
I'm not criticising him. Just pointing out the only real relative weakness as an attacker atleast at the world cup. I don't watch Bundesliga quite simply because it is a one team league; the quality outside Bayern and sometimes Dortmundis often quite poor. You'll hate me for this but it is a fact.

redcucumber

I wouldn't take the opinion of someone who thinks Greenwood was one dimensional seriously. Towards the end, his game was developing even further and he was dropping deep and literally running games (against Villa in particular) - forcing the ball into the opposition third practically all by himself by either bursting past people or spraying the ball with his passing. One dimensional he absolutely was not.