James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I disagree about another loan. Today he has held his own against a midfield of Ndidi, Tielmans and Maddisson. None of our current midfielders has been able to do that. Bring him back and give him a chance. To give him the best chance of succeding we need to get a good relacement for Matic. He is best as as a box to box
There’s a lot to be said for Forest defending as a team and not leaving their midfield totally exposed like our forwards did under Ole in most games.

TonyMUFC87

The whole team have played well but I wouldn’t say that Garner has stood out particularly
Scott McTominay hadn’t even made a pro appearance at Garners current age and is now a regular starter for us. So I think it’s fairly lazy to say sell him already considering he’s performed well for Forest in a midfield 2 this season and been part of that team who has knocked Arsenal and Leicester.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I’ve just watched *at least* half of the Forest match and I’d say he’s the greatest midfielder in the history of the game. We should definitely recall him and sign him up to a 6+1 on astronomical wages. :drool:

Seriously though, he looked decent in midfield and Caveman Keown couldn’t stop jizzing over him. I think he’ll have a future at United, though maybe more of a Butt than a Keane.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

marktan

Forest have been really good in the Championship, I think their form under Cooper would have them top or just off of Fulham had he been there since the start of the season. They're very likely to make the playoffs and I think odds wise they'd be the favourites against any of the other teams that will make the playoffs.

If they do go up, the single best thing we can do, and I'll emphasise it again the single best thing we can do is to send him on loan to Forest again. 35 games starting in the league is much better than the odd sub appearance for us. We made that mistake with Tuanzabe and Villa, and he missed out on some very valuable game time he would've gotten. Chelsea have got it right with the loans of Gallagher to West Brom and Palace, and Gallagher currently plays at a higher level than Garner does. Of course if they don't get promoted than we'll probably bring him back.

He's definitely not better than Fred, but him playing behind Fred could help them both out as Fred badly needs a DM around him like he does for Brazil.

jesperjaap

It’s time to either sell or use enough to improve him. Perfect time for either approach. Same thing with Williams. They are boosting their price out on loan. No point bringing them back for 5 games a season.
There are so many good young English players now, that we are considering 21 an older age it seems. In the scenario you envisage, then sell them

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
If anyone comes across a compilation of his contributions at any stage I'd appreciate them dropping it in here! Keeping an eye out for it on Twitter myself.

TheRedHearted

Forest have been really good in the Championship, I think their form under Cooper would have them top or just off of Fulham had he been there since the start of the season. They're very likely to make the playoffs and I think odds wise they'd be the favourites against any of the other teams that will make the playoffs.

If they do go up, the single best thing we can do, and I'll emphasise it again the single best thing we can do is to send him on loan to Forest again. 35 games starting in the league is much better than the odd sub appearance for us. We made that mistake with Tuanzabe and Villa, and he missed out on some very valuable game time he would've gotten. Chelsea have got it right with the loans of Gallagher to West Brom and Palace, and Gallagher currently plays at a higher level than Garner does. Of course if they don't get promoted than we'll probably bring him back.

He's definitely not better than Fred, but him playing behind Fred could help them both out as Fred badly needs a DM around him like he does for Brazil.
[/QUOTE
So are you saying we should also loan Fred to Forest? Cause you’re saying we shouldn’t loan him but he would do well behind Fred.

Hackman2210

I watched him last week against Cardiff city - he seemed to be playing in a more advanced position. He didn’t stand out at all if anything very disappointed in his performance. I was looking for him to have a big game as I’ve read a
Lot about him. Obviously was a lot better today by the sounds of it.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Spaghetti

Mom's
Difficult to tell from a 2 minute clip but he looked decent there. Things I noticed
  • He was looking for forward passes
  • He loves passing whilst sliding on the floor
  • They scored a goal where he crossed it from a corner and headed it straight in. Is this allowed? I thought you had to let the defending team clear the ball.

Kostov

How does Fred get a start over this lad.

Shows for the ball
Comfortable on the ball
Great pass selection
Set pieces are quality
Physical
Some idiot at our club decided that Fred was worth 50m pounds, now all the mediocre managers we had since, have trouble realizing he is a 8-10m midfielder and still play him.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The true test of any player we loan out is 'if he wasn't our player, would we be interested in signing him?'. The answer is usually no, but in Garner's case I think he would certainly be a player of interest.

Smithy89

Don't care if he plays in the championship, which is a quality league tbf. Take him over Scott and Fred every single day.

Devil may care

Given we didn't bring a DM in, in January and Matic is on his last legs I think Garner could come into the squad next season as the back-up/rotation option with the main new DM we buy.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Difficult to tell from a 2 minute clip but he looked decent there. Things I noticed
  • They scored a goal where he crossed it from a corner and headed it straight in. Is this allowed? I thought you had to let the defending team clear the ball.
That's some radical shit they are doing at Forrest.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We need to plot a way for him in to the first team, if we have to buy another CM anyway, not sure I see the point in loaning him out again.

Bwuk

He'll be in the first team next season.

Pogba, Matic, VdB will all be off, even if we sign say Rice, that'd only leave us with Rice, Bruno, McTominay & Fred.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I still don't think he's that good. Hope he proves me wrong.

Giggsy13

The fact he has put up two excellent games against Arsenal and Leicester is very promising. He reminds me a bit of Michael Carrick. Given the general stupidity of our transfer strategy (obsessed over Rice or Phillips) and likelihood we only bring in 1 midfielder whilst potentially losing 2, there’s a good chance Garner competes for some meaningful minutes next season.

TwoSheds

He was great last night against PL opposition.
He was fine. Didn't think he stood out though personally. Spence and Johnson certainly stood out more and I don't know if they're guaranteed top 4 club material either, maybe they are.

TwoSheds

I am sure Jimmy will be feeling the stress of trying to prove you differently.
You're right, having an opinion about a footballer does mean I think I'm the centre of the universe.

lex talionis

James looks ready to be given a proper chance with the first team. If we still feel the need to spend 100m on Rice, so be it, but bring up Garner.

Mates, going into next season we’re on a two year mission. There’s no chance we’re lifting the PL trophy in May 2023. We should be thinking about who on our books is good enough to learn the ropes in 22/23 that will help us be positioned for glory in 23/24. Garner is good enough now to be given that chance.

Gandalf

He was very good during the second half of last season on loan at Forest and obviously this season is going well for him too. I find it slightly odd that the discussion is over whether he is good enough for us or not at this point though, he is just 21 and yet to play in the PL so all he has is potential and even professional scouts can't say with certainty if he will make it here on the evidence so far.

The key for me is that he is progressing and getting better, he is some years off what should be his peak and so it really is a case of when does his development plateau. Some players do not kick on whilst others get better every season up to and even beyond their mid twenties. I would like to see James play a season in the PL next year on loan unless we cut the squad down so far that we can guarantee him a good run of games and and starts which is unlikely. Ideally Forest would get promoted and he could spend another season there, Cooper is an excellent coach and his familiarity with the team will help with stepping up to play week in, week out against PL opposition. I don't think we can make decisions on whether he has a long term future here until he has made this step but I am encouraged so far and certainly feel he has more about him than Galbraith or Levitt.

UpWithRivers

Needs to up his twitter game and invest in some bling or he has no chance. and he can fk right off with those corners. Hit the first man for fks sake!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I worry that if our coaches didn't think VDB was physically capable of playing in the PL, neither will they of Garner.

macheda14

I worry that if our coaches didn't think VDB was physically capable of playing in the PL, neither will they of Garner.
Despite him being physically imposing in Championship games and FA cup as a 20 year old.

Raven

He was fine. Didn't think he stood out though personally. Spence and Johnson certainly stood out more and I don't know if they're guaranteed top 4 club material either, maybe they are.
I thought he stood out massively, his passing and vision was an absolute joy. He also looks very solid defensively.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I thought he stood out massively, his passing and vision was an absolute joy. He also looks very solid defensively.
The commentators also seemed to think he did too, kept mentioning him throughout the match.

Marwood

He probably won't ever be the player who stands out.

I'm not being one of those pseudo intellectual types who think only they can see the value of a DM but I doubt he'll be a player who wows.

Which is fine by me becuase that's not what we need in midfield right now. We need a brain.

Raven

The commentators also seemed to think he did too, kept mentioning him throughout the match.
His pass before the first goal was sublime and something I'm not sure I've seen before, a sliding cross field ball, I think he did something similar at some other time in the match. You could see him spot the pass before he slid into the tackle and picked out a 40 yard pass, quite sublime.

TwoSheds

Scored tonight, anyway see the first half?

Status
Not open for further replies.