James Garner England flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He is average, there is nothing exceptional about him except some low risk side way passing and weak tackling.

Ethan Galbraith is a more exciting prospect than him.
The jury is still out on Galbraith. He could be a scholes clone or he could be a Norwood. At the moment it looks too easy for him at Doncaster so he needs to see at a higher level

Marwood

True but Cleverley moved around a bit - the first time I watched Cleverley play, he was a left back.
Yeah same here. Made it even more surprising he made it as a centre mid.

It's another big difference. Garner in the U23's at least has always been a CM. To my knowledge anyway.

Think he might have been a CB at times in U18's and below.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Above conversation reminds me of Ben Pearson. He looked amazing in the U23s and has had a decent career but he looked so so good at that level. It’s very hard to tell. Also there’s So much luck involved in getting a break into the first team. For example Say this greenwood stuff may well have opened up a position for Hannibal now to actually contribute and get a fair crack before the end of the season. Elanga gets bumped up even more in importance. What were the odds on something crazy like that happening?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
For example Say this greenwood stuff may well have opened up a position for Hannibal now to actually contribute and get a fair crack before the end of the season. Elanga gets bumped up even more in importance. What were the odds on something crazy like that happening?
Different positions.

Marwood

Above conversation reminds me of Ben Pearson. He looked amazing in the U23s and has had a decent career but he looked so so good at that level. It’s very hard to tell. Also there’s So much luck involved in getting a break into the first team. For example Say this greenwood stuff may well have opened up a position for Hannibal now to actually contribute and get a fair crack before the end of the season. Elanga gets bumped up even more in importance. What were the odds on something crazy like that happening?
I don't think Pearson had the technical ability of Garner though.

He was better than Garner physically but we know what happens to that physical edge once they step up. The edge isn't there anymore.

Not that I'm 100% on Garner. Is he confident enough to play at this level? Does he have that personality. Is he physical enough?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Spoke to Forest fan that thinks he can't do the job as holding midfielder, he thinks he's better in his attacking department and his talent is more box to box. Can anyone confirmed? Considering he used to score lot of goals in midfield U21, not surprised if his talent is more box to box.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Spoke to Forest fan that thinks he can't do the job as holding midfielder, he thinks he's better in his attacking department and his talent is more box to box. Can anyone confirmed? Considering he used to score lot of goals in midfield U21, not surprised if his talent is more box to box.
He played as a B2B in his last season with the U23s and admittedly he did look very good in that role.

flameinthesun

Its interesting hearing the talk of him being a b2b and mayb3 slightly better attacking. For me one of the key things that stood out last year in his loan was actually how good his tackling was as well as his ability to break up play.

I think the key thing holding him back is he doesnt seem to have the personality to assert himself on a game.

Jack-C20

Two great corners in a row. Can’t believe I’m complimenting putting a half decent ball into the box but looking at our current players, apparently it’s pretty difficult. Also some tidy play around the box a few minutes ago.

Rocknrolla69er

How does Fred get a start over this lad.

Shows for the ball
Comfortable on the ball
Great pass selection
Set pieces are quality
Physical

mu4c_20le

That's why we held off on buying a midfielder.

Murtough masterclass

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He looks very good every time I see him. Whether or not he can step up to regular PL and European outings is a fair question but I'd like to see him given a chance some time soon. Plus his set pieces are a different level to ones we usually serve up.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
How does Fred get a start over this lad.

Shows for the ball
Comfortable on the ball
Great pass selection
Set pieces are quality
Physical
Because Fred was much better before the season started and still is the better player.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I know some prefer the look of Levitt or Galbraith but can't see it myself, I've always felt Garner was the best of the 3.

Ali Dia

It seems to me more and more that there’s not a huge amount of difference between the championship and PL at the middle level. You have quite a few players in the championship taking home lower to mid level PL wages. It’s great league to test young players now and it looks to have done Garner no harm at all.

city-puma

It seems to me more and more that there’s not a huge amount of difference between the championship and PL at the middle level. You have quite a few players in the championship taking home lower to mid level PL wages. It’s great league to test young players now and it looks to have done Garner no harm at all.
Very true these days. Championship benefits hugely due to the league structure and the money distribution. A lot of diamonds there.

jesperjaap

Considering the number of potential midfield exits from us this summer, think even with a couple of purchases, there is a place for him in the squad. He has had invaluable loans and will be the right age this summer to come back. Personally dont think he is good enough to be what we need, but neither are our current options.

Give him a squad position and a couple fo seasons to break through or sell hiim, I dont think he beenfits from another loan next year

Red00012

Playing very well , he can knock out the Scousers in the next round

Ali Dia

Considering the number of potential midfield exits from us this summer, think even with a couple of purchases, there is a place for him in the squad. He has had invaluable loans and will be the right age this summer to come back. Personally dont think he is good enough to be what we need, but neither are our current options.

Give him a squad position and a couple fo seasons to break through or sell hiim, I dont think he beenfits from another loan next year
It’s time to either sell or use enough to improve him. Perfect time for either approach. Same thing with Williams. They are boosting their price out on loan. No point bringing them back for 5 games a season.

TonyMUFC87

It’s time to either sell or use enough to improve him. Perfect time for either approach. Same thing with Williams. They are boosting their price out on loan. No point bringing them back for 5 games a season.
Why would we sell him? That would be utter madness

Sparky Rhiwabon

The whole team have played well but I wouldn’t say that Garner has stood out particularly

mavradal

Really like what I'm seeing from his movement in this match on the defensive end, his crossing seems pretty good as well getting an assist. If we don't sign someone like Rice or we lose Pogba this summer, I hope he stays at Man Utd and gets his chance next season.

mu4c_20le

The boys placed more passes than anyone else in the team and twice as many crosses (5/7 completed). Give him a PL loan next season, maybe Palace or Brighton if they keep their managers.

dutchred

The boys placed more passes than anyone else in the team and twice as many crosses (5/7 completed). Give him a PL loan next season, maybe Palace or Brighton if they keep their managers.
I disagree about another loan. Today he has held his own against a midfield of Ndidi, Tielmans and Maddisson. None of our current midfielders has been able to do that. Bring him back and give him a chance. To give him the best chance of succeding we need to get a good relacement for Matic. He is best as as a box to box

Status
Not open for further replies.