James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

pascell

How did he do?
Failed to assert himself in the game at all, leading to Forest midfield being overran consistently. It was basically a training game for 'Boro.

Garner needs to start kicking on if he's to make it at United as his progression is stagnating at the moment.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Apparantly had a good game when they lost yesterday. The level in the Championship is quite good. I think that is why teams can be promoted to the PL and do well in their first season (Leeds, Sheff Utd, Wolves, Brentford). I also think quite a few players have made their mark immediatly coming in from the Championship (Bowen, Maddison, Mount, Reece James, Skipp etc).

Very few central midfielders under 23 these days do well at a high level. Same apply to CBs. I think the outliers (Bellingham and a few more) get a lot of attention and leave a mark on our expectation. But the development of young players is rarely linear.

Fabinho, Kante, Jorginho, Modric and Kroos (played higher up the pitch at that age) was not dominating figures in central midfield under 21 in a top league. Far from it.

A player like Rice did get alot of minutes at a young age in the PL, but was «lucky» to play for a poor team. Would WHU bother with him a few years ago if he was on a loan? Based on how people in here rated him, I would say probably not. And he has developed so much the past year. Same applies for Gallagher who was quite average last year.

James Garner is a type of player who needs quite a bit of experience before we see his potential. He is doing well at Nottingham Forrest know, and I think it will be a great experience for him. I am quite confident that he will become a good PL-player. Hopefully he will become a bit more than that.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Seems to be doing pretty well for Forrest . So if anyone is watching him regularly, is he ready to take the next step?

Recalling him might be useful to us right now.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Couldn’t be any worse than Matic but he looks far from ready. I’d be selling him with a buy back and keeping tabs on him for the next 2/3 years. He’s not going to be ready without a season or two at PL level and we can’t afford to experiment for 2 seasons.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Apparently Everton are sniffing around him so his performance today may be under the microscope.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Actually buzzing to watch him against them, a real eye test to see if he is good enough.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Shocking free kick not beating the first man, but decent range of passing on show so far. Tidy on the ball.

marktan

The forest Loan is perfect for him, he still has weaknesses in his game and started the season slowly, but the regular game time is absolutely vital to him at his age. Better yet is that theyre in play off contention, so playing in an upper table team will help him more.

The ideal next season would be either that Forest get promoted or a lower PL loan, but those are near on impossible to get regular minutes in these days unless you're already very good like Connor Gallagher. The worst thing for us to do is what we did to Tuanzabe - kept him when Villa went up, when regular games would've been far more valuable to him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Decent performance. Rest of the season playing like that will put him in good stead.

marktan

He's positionally and defensively excellent. Constantly looking around and covering the right positions, and is very good in the tackle.

He'd be an asset to any lower PL team like Norwich that needs a bit of steel in midfield. He'd protect that crap back line well.

Where he needs to improve is being involved in the build up play. His passing range is good but in general play with the ball he's not PL standard yet. To play for United as a DM he needs to be close to as food on the ball as Fabinho, Casemiro, Fernandninho and he's not at that level. As such to be honest I think another loan to Forest would be good for him, or as others have suggested even a sale with a buyback clause. He's not going to be good enough for us. If a lower PL team can guarantee him games that'd be better but those are quite rare.

Hoof the ball

Where he needs to improve is being involved in the build up play. His passing range is good but in general play with the ball he's not PL standard yet. To play for United as a DM he needs to be close to as food on the ball as Fabinho, Casemiro, Fernandninho and he's not at that level.
What chances does he have if these players eat whilst playing DM and are that good?!

AussieDevil

I can only go off what I’ve seen which is probably only about 4 Forest games, he seems to do everything well enough except he struggles to dictate tempo of games sometimes, as a defensive midfielder you either need to be combative in the Casemiro mould or you need to be able to help your team keep the ball as your form of defence just like Rodri at City. If he can understand how constantly he active and available for a pass and gets even better at switching play then he might be able to make a career at United.

However, I think the best course or action would be to sell him with a buy back clause.

Abraxas

I can only go off what I’ve seen which is probably only about 4 Forest games, he seems to do everything well enough except he struggles to dictate tempo of games sometimes, as a defensive midfielder you either need to be combative in the Casemiro mould or you need to be able to help your team keep the ball as your form of defence just like Rodri at City. If he can understand how constantly he active and available for a pass and gets even better at switching play then he might be able to make a career at United.

However, I think the best course or action would be to sell him with a buy back clause.
Surely the best course of action is to keep him and loan him out.

If clubs are happy to take him and he's happy to do it for a chance of a future at Man Utd that works best for us. There is no disadvantage. The problem usually comes that a player at this age wants something decided.

Selling with a buy back clause simply ensures a loss if we do want him back.

userman

My impression of Garner is that he has the potential to establish himself as a useful squadplayer for us in the future, but next season will be to soon for him. Hopefully he gets a loan(and playing time) in a team other than us in the PL next season. Perhaps the 23/24-season will be his breakthrough.

Last edited:

Mylock

When you watch Garner you see a player that has most of the charismatic that we need from a DM. He is a good passer, very good reader of the game, a good tackler. What he is currently missing is the "I'm the Boss" altitude, hopefully this will come with experience. He has always been a leader in the teams he has player for, he now has to show it to move to the next level.
We are crying out for a player in this mould. I'm not sure if he is the one, time will tell.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
playing regularly in the championship is so much better than being a bit part player in the premier league or la liga etc.

as others have stated it’s probably one of the most competitive leagues around right now. plenty of ability, but hard work is always required to make it there too.

Bondi77

He's positionally and defensively excellent. Constantly looking around and covering the right positions, and is very good in the tackle.

He'd be an asset to any lower PL team like Norwich that needs a bit of steel in midfield. He'd protect that crap back line well.

Where he needs to improve is being involved in the build up play. His passing range is good but in general play with the ball he's not PL standard yet. To play for United as a DM he needs to be close to as food on the ball as Fabinho, Casemiro, Fernandninho and he's not at that level. As such to be honest I think another loan to Forest would be good for him, or as others have suggested even a sale with a buyback clause. He's not going to be good enough for us. If a lower PL team can guarantee him games that'd be better but those are quite rare.
He would be an asset to a lower level PL club but he is not PL level yet?????
WTF are you talking about?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Arguing with another member
And what's wrong with what I said? I love it when people criticise other people on a forum where, you know, offer opinions, all the whilst offering absolutely no opinion of their own. Just so pointless.
You're not expressing as "an opinion". You are talking as if it's fact when really you're just talking out of your @r$e

Devil’s Trident

Call me overrating him but out of all the youngsters at united except Mason I rate him the most. Quality wise he has all the tools in his game to become not just a solid pl midfielder but a top midfielder like Carrick was. That’s how highly I rate him. The way he is so comfortable on the ball and the range of passing he has is class combined with his vision which is very very good for a central midfielder. You don’t get these attributes in midfielders easily. Neither u can learn or hone them after a certain age. Garner has them in plenty. His switching of play , long passes short passes , excellent football IQ, technically so sound are some attributes honestly I haven’t seen in an academy player for god knows how long. Just to put into context I rate him way higher than Fletcher at the same age.

What he does lack though is physicality , not asserting himself enough, sometimes playing too safe, goes into a shell, lack of belief at times which all maybe down to confidence and nervousness due to his young age. If he gets regular game time and good coaching which is very critical for him in the next couple of years then he’s got all tools in his game to be atleast a very good midfielder not a Modric but more like a Carrick. Good thing is he is hungry and focused which is so important and imperative right now for his growth and evolution as a player. Fingers crossed.

MrBest

Ive followed Garner for years although not had the luxury to watch that many games he has played for Forest. I believe this guy is the real deal, i was really looking forward to seeing how he would do against Arsenal. For me i think he did well, a 6.5 or 7, showed leadership, vision, strength and desire. Do i think he is a United starter, no. Do i think Mctominay is a starter, no. I dont understand why people just throw out points like he needs an extra season like he has struggled to make an impact. Forest are doing well this year, Garner has been a very important part of that journey and they have managed him very very well. The only way I'd let him leave on loan again is if Forest got promoted and we could ship him back to them for a year. However, i think he has a great chance of being our future DM or CM and although i wouldn't start him instantly, i would certainly be looking to give him minutes and opportunities against lower teams for the first 6 months to see how he does. Integrating him within our set up is the next step i think he should have. I love how Chelsea have handled Mason Mount, although that would not have happened if Lamps hadn't had taken him to Derby and then taken over at Chelsea.

In reality, the jury is still out and guessing his path is like guessing how long a piece of string is. Whatever we do, i hope we don't screw it up like i believe we have done with Tuanzabe (my opinion only).

SAF is the GOAT

Just thought about it : Does the pressing style of Rangnick/Poch/Ten Haag will want to play is even suit him ?

lex talionis

We’d fukk up Garner like we have others who at the age of 23-24 like Rashford should be in top gear but instead are regressing. Best for him that move on to a mid tier PL club.

Abraxas

Not sure why there's a pile on regarding marktan's fairly innocuous opinion in this thread.

All he's saying is he needs to become more involved if he's going to make it here. Which is probably not untrue. He probably has to improve a lot of things if he's going to be an answer for us.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not sure why there's a pile on regarding marktan's fairly innocuous opinion in this thread.

All he's saying is he needs to become more involved if he's going to make it here. Which is probably not untrue. He probably has to improve a lot of things if he's going to be an answer for us.
He didn't really say that, he said that he's not going to be good enough which is probably what has ruffled some feathers.

AussieDevil

Surely the best course of action is to keep him and loan him out.

If clubs are happy to take him and he's happy to do it for a chance of a future at Man Utd that works best for us. There is no disadvantage. The problem usually comes that a player at this age wants something decided.

Selling with a buy back clause simply ensures a loss if we do want him back.
He needs to find his feet at a club, he still seems a few years away from being ready for United. Most lower PL clubs wouldn’t bother giving a loanee regular game time unless he is Conor Gallagher class which Garner isn’t at the moment.

A buyback gives the buying club an incentive to nurture him. You could sell him for 9 million and have an 18 million buy back or something of the like. If it doesn’t work out then United have still come out with a decent fee, if it works out then it works out better than having to fork out 40m for a player of a similar ability.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Ive followed Garner for years although not had the luxury to watch that many games he has played for Forest. I believe this guy is the real deal, i was really looking forward to seeing how he would do against Arsenal. For me i think he did well, a 6.5 or 7, showed leadership, vision, strength and desire. Do i think he is a United starter, no. Do i think Mctominay is a starter, no. I dont understand why people just throw out points like he needs an extra season like he has struggled to make an impact. Forest are doing well this year, Garner has been a very important part of that journey and they have managed him very very well. The only way I'd let him leave on loan again is if Forest got promoted and we could ship him back to them for a year. However, i think he has a great chance of being our future DM or CM and although i wouldn't start him instantly, i would certainly be looking to give him minutes and opportunities against lower teams for the first 6 months to see how he does. Integrating him within our set up is the next step i think he should have. I love how Chelsea have handled Mason Mount, although that would not have happened if Lamps hadn't had taken him to Derby and then taken over at Chelsea.

In reality, the jury is still out and guessing his path is like guessing how long a piece of string is. Whatever we do, i hope we don't screw it up like i believe we have done with Tuanzabe (my opinion only).
I would bring him back.
He would be a better option than the ageing Matic.

Status
Not open for further replies.