James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutchred

If they do come up I wouldn't object.
On the other hand teams that come up mostly struggle and he may be in a struggling team. If we recruit a good experienced Dm then he and Hannibal can share the number 8 role nest season. Playing with a good DM should give him less responsibility and more freedom. He could develop as a good number 6 eventually but a couple of years as a number 8 would be a good basis

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
His level in the Championship is very similar to what Ruben Neves did in 2016/17. It may just be best to persist with him and keep him in the team so he can get to the level we need.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's absolutely not better than fred
You can't say that with any certainty. Garner could be a revelation in our team for all we know. He's not been given a chance yet.

Fred tries hard every week but he's very poor on the ball. Garner's passing and final delivery is fantastic.

AdNani

Definitely more productive than McT.
he's certainly got more technical ability
You can't say that with any certainty. Garner could be a revelation in our team for all we know. He's not been given a chance yet.

Fred tries hard every week but he's very poor on the ball. Garner's passing and final delivery is fantastic.
i can say that. if we were playing a champions league final tomorrow and we had to choose between fred and Garner, it would be Fred every time. Garner has a lot of potential but let's not get ahead of ourselves

CarbonStoolBites

Hope he gets a real chance next season, surely earned it with his excellent season with Forest. Very exciting day player, one less player we have to sign.

edcunited1878

Fred is already an important player to United's central midfield, especially as he plays in a midfield 2. Fred isn't very poor on the ball. He can be too loose with the ball, but that doesn't make him poor.

Garner's passing and final delivery is fantastic, but for someone who hasn't played any time in the PL or a top level across Europe, that will change and be challenged. Garner has 4 goals and 8 assists in the Championship while playing over 3,100 minutes. He also takes lots of set pieces. Fred has 4 goals and 4 assists from approximately 1,900 minutes and he's probably taken less than 10 set pieces from scoring situations. So yeah. It's not like Garner has 15 assists in the Championship and he's some talisman pulling the strings in midfield with Forest. He might grow into that, nobody knows, but stop putting down Fred.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Fred is already an important player to United's central midfield, especially as he plays in a midfield 2. Fred isn't very poor on the ball. He can be too loose with the ball, but that doesn't make him poor.

Garner's passing and final delivery is fantastic, but for someone who hasn't played any time in the PL or a top level across Europe, that will change and be challenged. Garner has 4 goals and 8 assists in the Championship while playing over 3,100 minutes. He also takes lots of set pieces. Fred has 4 goals and 4 assists from approximately 1,900 minutes and he's probably taken less than 10 set pieces from scoring situations. So yeah. It's not like Garner has 15 assists in the Championship and he's some talisman pulling the strings in midfield with Forest. He might grow into that, nobody knows, but stop putting down Fred.
Fred isn't an important player one bit. Don't let a disastrous season where the whole team has downed tools fool you into believing he's a good player because he's been best of a bad bunch.

Fred is bang average. Always has been and always will. Can't fault his work rate but that's all he has.

edcunited1878

Fred isn't an important player one bit. Don't let a disastrous season where the whole team has downed tools fool you into believing he's a good player because he's been best of a bad bunch.

Fred is bang average. Always has been and always will. Can't fault his work rate but that's all he has.
So the starting central midfielder of the Brazilian national team is bang average? Ok.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So the starting central midfielder of the Brazilian national team is bang average? Ok.
Yeah. I have watched him for last few years and he's bang average mate.

Great engine on him as I have already said. What else is he great at?

edcunited1878

Combative midfielder, ability to win the ball on the ground anywhere on the pitch, and begin transition towards goal with a forward pass. Can link up going forward with 1 or 2 touches. His mentality and personality is of a very good player. He's also shown more of a threat towards goal. Garner and Fred with a true defensive midfielder behind them would be very well rounded and should be given a shot

Red-17

He’s been our best midfielder for about 2-3 years now (not including Bruno). He is very good at quick short passing and also excellent at playing a good first pass forward after winning possession. When he wins the ball he actually does something with it rather than recycle possession. Yes he has major weaknesses including poor linger range passing and shooting and he is a bit loose with the ball closer to goal, but he has very good qualities. He’s also never played with a proper holding midfielder at the club apart from a past it Matic.

He’s not world class and shouldn’t be our best midfielder, but he is far from one of our problems.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Combative midfielder, ability to win the ball on the ground anywhere on the pitch, and begin transition towards goal with a forward pass. Can link up going forward with 1 or 2 touches. His mentality and personality is of a very good player. He's also shown more of a threat towards goal. Garner and Fred with a true defensive midfielder behind them would be very well rounded and should be given a shot
Standards have dropped so much mate I think you're massively over rating him.

Also the Brazil thing is a bit of nonsense. He keeps Fabinho out of the team which we all know is rubbish. Fabinho is a much better player than Fred.

I don't dislike him. Like I said he tries hard so you can't help but like him a bit but we aren't going anywhere with likes of Fred as a starting midfielder. He's just not good enough.

Redlyn

Isn't Garner more defensive. We'd be missing creativity with that 3. What do you do about Bruno?

Trex

I read his thread on the Nottingham forest forum and its been praise all season, they clearly rate him and see him as a future England international.
There is almost zero detractors which is rear even when Bruno was at his finest here you still have people pointing out weaknesses. He must be dominating it there.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I read his thread on the Nottingham forest forum and its been praise all season, they clearly rate him and see him as a future England international.
There is almost zero detractors which is rear even when Bruno was at his finest here you still have people pointing out weaknesses. He must be dominating it there.
Garner always looked a class act in our youth sides tbf but you can never be sure of how these lads transition into the mens game. He looks to have really found his mojo. I'd be amazed if we didn't give him a chance.

Very excited about seeing how he can do under ETH if he can play this well under Cooper.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
How's his progression coming along? DM in the Carrick mould or is he more of an 8 now?

Zoo

He plays in a very well run team under Cooper. Don’t want to be negative but I do worry about how much he gets on the ball whenever I watch him. Whatever happens he needs to be in the PL next season to carry on developing.

edcunited1878

Standards have dropped so much mate I think you're massively over rating him.

Also the Brazil thing is a bit of nonsense. He keeps Fabinho out of the team which we all know is rubbish. Fabinho is a much better player than Fred.

I don't dislike him. Like I said he tries hard so you can't help but like him a bit but we aren't going anywhere with likes of Fred as a starting midfielder. He's just not good enough.
Casemiro has been keeping Fabinho out of the Brazilian national team when all have been fit.

It's more like you're dismissing Fred entirely rather than me or others who are overrating Fred. There's a difference between saying someone isn't good enough versus someone who isn't good. Fred falls in between the 2. I think Garner can be of the same level.

It is clear that Fred or Garner cannot carry a midfield by themselves, but together they might be able to do it with a another central mid.

Amarsdd

From what I've seen from him in our youth set up and some in loans, I don't think talent would be a problem. The main issue would be his confidence. The last couple of times he's made appearances for us, he almost looked like he was frozen with fear. Hopefully, this great bit of loan has helped him gain the confidence and not freeze when he plays for us.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Casemiro has been keeping Fabinho out of the Brazilian national team when all have been fit.

It's more like you're dismissing Fred entirely rather than me or others who are overrating Fred. There's a difference between saying someone isn't good enough versus someone who isn't good. Fred falls in between the 2. I think Garner can be of the same level.

It is clear that Fred or Garner cannot carry a midfield by themselves, but together they might be able to do it with a another central mid.
Not saying Garner is the answer and the next Scholes mate but his passing range and final ball is streets ahead of Fred. The lad has real quality on the ball.

I'd keep Fred around though as he has his uses and has a great attitude.

Trex

He plays in a very well run team under Cooper. Don’t want to be negative but I do worry about how much he gets on the ball whenever I watch him. Whatever happens he needs to be in the PL next season to carry on developing.
The fans definitely rate him as their best player, he is like a cult hero already.

edcunited1878

Isn't Garner more defensive. We'd be missing creativity with that 3. What do you do about Bruno?
Garner has always played more of an all around midfield player and has made lots of runs towards the box and into the box since he was in United's academy. He gets around well and can pass well.

Bruno isn't a traditional central midfielder and hasn't been used as one. He would have to adjust a lot of his game to suit an orthodox 3 man midfield. Theoretically, Bruno could be a lesser version of KDB, but KDB has immense spatial awareness and seems to have the discipline and understanding of where to be and when to be there with the vision and ability to make any pass.

Trequarista10

Disappointing.
I think he will become a holding midfielder in time with more experience. Generally young players gradually move to deeper positions anyway as they gain more experience, strength and positional sense, and less youthful reckleness. And Garner certainly looks like he has the tools to be a real holding midfielder, it just so happens at this stage he also likes to bomb forwards and is still a bit scrawny.

Thiagoal

I was at the City Ground today while visiting a mate from Uni. My word, Garner looked amazing. His confidence on the ball, passing and work rate were all first class!
I have no doubt he’ll be a first team regular with us before the next 12 months are up and have an England cap too!!

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
When we have a young'un out on loan I tend to ask myself, if the loanee wasn't our player and he no ties to us, would we be linked to them? Would I want him?

Amad? Pellistri? Levitt? Laird? The numerous others? The answer to the two above questions would have to be no. That's not to completely write them off.

But with Garner, he actually might be wouldn't he? I'd say he's putting in performances that would warrant us looking at him and I think fans would be keen.

So that's nice.

Abraxas

It's about time we had a loan that really paid off nicely. This has been great for him to get football in a competitive league week in week out for an actually decent outfit.

I still think we need to make a definitive call on him, and it should probably be a relatively high priority for ETH as he assesses our midfield composition. It makes little sense to be continually loaning out a player into his 20s when they've already extracted the most you could have reasonably expected from a season. If he's ever going to be good enough to stake his claim, it is probably now where gaps are emerging in the squad.

Irrational.

I think another season on loan in the PL for Forest would be beneficial for him, especially if we end up getting FDJ. He needs regular games at the moment and I’m so pleased to see him excelling week in and week out.

Status
Not open for further replies.