Film James Gunn's DC Universe

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
No Cavill's Superman.
Probably no more Rock's Black Adam
No Wonder Woman 3
Potentially both Affleck and Pattinson Batman have been put on hold.
No more Snyderverse
All we have left is Peacemaker and parts of Justice League probably.

Rake

Not unexpected, sucks for Cavill that they brought him back just to dismiss him again... I guess they should just reboot everything, including The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. Would be interesting if they do, since those 2 franchises are Gunn's babies .

To be honest, I'm not against the reboot, i just have doubts about Gunn's ability to do it properly. With the exception of The Guardians 1 and maybe 2, I've yet to see a movie written/directed by him that is more than "OK". Also, there is the big task of finding the right directors and actors.

It would be interesting what will happen to this new vision if the first 2-3 movies flop.

Dan

Cavill even more likely to be the next 007 now I think.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
So is that the end of Pattinson's Batman? Shame if so, I thought while not perfect it had a lot of potential.

reelworld

No Cavill's Superman.
No Wonder Woman 3
No more Snyderverse
Would be a real shame if this happens tbh. I hope Gunn is keeping The Batman, I love that movie. I would hope since this is not connected to DCEU, Gunn would find a way to keep it
Peacemaker has alot of connection with the DCEU, so I'm not sure if they're keeping that

Rake

So is that the end of Pattinson's Batman? Shame if so, I thought while not perfect it had a lot of potential.
Nope, he will just be like Bale - set in his own universe, which is good because they will be able to keep their version without worrying about 100 other characters.

What we will see is a new Batman actor, one who will portray him in the connected Gudd DC universe.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Gunn's Suicide Squad was a letdown. Not even close to Guardians level.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

cyberman

Isn’t the new series of Peacemaker about to start filming? Pretty sure it’s on hold until after the Guardians is done for Gunn.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
DC have made a total mess of things over the past 10 years and need to just totally start again. If they focused on darker, more grown up stuff like they did in Joker I'd be very happy and would give them a contrast to Marvel instead of them trying to out-do Marvel at their own game and fail miserably.

Sylar

DC should focus on the villains. (but not villains that are anti-heroes that every five minutes says 'were bad guys remember')
Seriously, their gallery of villains especially batman villains is top notch.

Feel sorry for Cavill, he just wanted to play a character he enjoys true to origin and both times (well witcher and now superman) its not worked the way he wanted.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
DC have made a total mess of things over the past 10 years and need to just totally start again. If they focused on darker, more grown up stuff like they did in Joker I'd be very happy and would give them a contrast to Marvel instead of them trying to out-do Marvel at their own game and fail miserably.
While I do agree with you, I don't think that there's any chance of it happening with Gunn at the helm.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
While I do agree with you, I don't think that there's any chance of it happening with Gunn at the helm.
I understand there has to be an element of 'lighter' content as well and that's fine, but DC characters do lend themselves better to the darker side than many of the Marvel characters in my view so they need a balance so they produce content like Joker which Marvel simply can't/won't do. That is how they can shine. I say this as somebody who thinks that 90% of Marvel cinematic content has been utter shite.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
IF we go by The Suicide Squad, Gunn looks a bit out of depth when balancing dark movies with comedy. It ended up being a bit flat.

Coxy

Disappointed - Man of Steel was my favourite superhero film for a long time.

Also a shame he (appeared) to be leaving the Witcher for this - I know apparently he didn't like the changes the writers were making (understandably...) but loved him in the role.

Drifter

American
So he's going to make a movie about a young Clark Kent as a reporter in Metropolis. Like that as not been done before.

padzilla

Hipster
Gunn seems an unusual choice to pen a Superman film given his output to date. The choice of director will be interesting. I was always hoping for a Spielberg Superman film but that's never going to happen.

Woodzy

Wasn’t the mess that is Black Adam supposed to be the start of a new chapter for DC? The entire franchise is fecked, give it five years then start again. No reboots, no sequels, and definitely none of these bollocks ‘soft’ reboots that seem to be so popular now.

Traub

Can definitely see Cavil now making the jump to marvel - Dr Doom anyone?

R'hllor

DC :lol: . They can always reset it again if shit drops lul. Seems all chars that are/were proper fit for certain chars are gone.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Nope, he will just be like Bale - set in his own universe, which is good because they will be able to keep their version without worrying about 100 other characters.
Think there will just be one integrated universe similar to MCU.

Gunn will be a more hands on Feige. He'll probably direct few stuff, but will more be the Universe organizer and producer for the rest.

Ekeke

Most of these choices are good in my opinion. Most of this stuff didnt work or wasnt good. There were a lot of problems with strategy and making silly changes from the source material that absolutely didnt pay off in any meaningful way.

The problem will be not repeating those same mistakes but with Gunn's poor choices instead replacing the others. But obviously when there is a fresh redo you can be hopeful that mistakes were learnt from and that it wont be more of the same. So for now I'll stick with that.

Some of the cancelled projects were a good thing too, again going in a poor direction

I'm far more sad that the Star Girl and Young Justice shows are over

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Seems quite dumb to have Caville cameo in Black Adam just to get rid of him. Man of Steel was decent.

Not the worst idea to start over considering how all over the place the films are, but I liked the darker theme of the DC films and not sure about Gunn. If Suicide Squad is anything to go by he should be kept a million miles from writing. That film was the biggest load of garbage in either DC or Marvel imo, which is some achievement. Wasn't even sure if I was watching a real film or an unfunny parodee of one

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Seems quite dumb to have Caville cameo in Black Adam just to get rid of him. Man of Steel was decent.

Not the worst idea to start over considering how all over the place the films are, but I liked the darker theme of the DC films and not sure about Gunn. If Suicide Squad is anything to go by he should be kept a million miles from writing. That film was the biggest load of garbage in either DC or Marvel imo, which is some achievement. Wasn't even sure if I was watching a real film or an unfunny parodee of one
Yep, the news of Cavill’s “return” as Superman in that Black Adam cameo is barely cold and now it’s been abandoned already? Talk about shambles.

Now they can’t even pursue a Cavill Superman as separate to this universe as he’s already made a cameo in BA and Gunn states they’ve met with Cavill to break the news to him. I’d have thought these things would have been discussed and agreed between studio, director, actor etc. BEFORE shooting that BA cameo.

mu4c_20le

No Cavill's Superman.
No Wonder Woman 3
No more Snyderverse
Good, it's all crap. Tear it down and rebuild.

Ekeke

Yep, the news of Cavill’s “return” as Superman in that Black Adam cameo is barely cold and now it’s been abandoned already? Talk about shambles.

Now they can’t even pursue a Cavill Superman as separate to this universe as he’s already made a cameo in BA and Gunn states they’ve met with Cavill to break the news to him. I’d have thought these things would have been discussed and agreed between studio, director, actor etc. BEFORE shooting that BA cameo.
They were. Thats in Cavill's statement. It was decided he was coming back, and he himself announced it before Gunn took over. It wasnt their call. It was already announced. They could have announced this and not had the cameo in Black Adam, but it would do little to change what happened.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
They were. Thats in Cavill's statement. It was decided he was coming back, and he himself announced it before Gunn took over. It wasnt their call. It was already announced. They could have announced this and not had the cameo in Black Adam, but it would do little to change what happened.
That’s what I meant, yeah. Should either have been agreed with Gunn before hand or if they got Gunn involved after - get a director who buys into the vision. Just seems odd/amateurish, is all I’m saying. But better change your mind now I guess, then when it’s too late.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Most of these choices are good in my opinion. Most of this stuff didnt work or wasnt good. There were a lot of problems with strategy and making silly changes from the source material that absolutely didnt pay off in any meaningful way.

The problem will be not repeating those same mistakes but with Gunn's poor choices instead replacing the others. But obviously when there is a fresh redo you can be hopeful that mistakes were learnt from and that it wont be more of the same. So for now I'll stick with that.

Some of the cancelled projects were a good thing too, again going in a poor direction

I'm far more sad that the Star Girl and Young Justice shows are over
Absolutely fantastic series.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Don't know what the flash movie was about but it would have been cool if it were a live action flashpoint to launch this new universe.

Ekeke

That’s what I meant, yeah. Should either have been agreed with Gunn before hand or if they got Gunn involved after - get a director who buys into the vision. Just seems odd/amateurish, is all I’m saying. But better change your mind now I guess, then when it’s too late.
Well obviously before Gunn took over and is now making his changes, yes the DC Universe was clearly in disarray. We could see that from not wanting Cavill back, to not wanting to release the Snyder cut, then releasing it, then bringing Cavill back etc. They also had people stepping down from their roles.

A fresh take is much better than finding a new director who would do the same as the previous ones who failed and using his stuff. That would only lead to more failure.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
No Cavill's Superman.
No Wonder Woman 3
No more Snyderverse
This is the worst part for me. I've never been interested in the expanded DCU. Only Batman and all the villains closely associated with him. The Batman was a Batman movie done right and it's a shame we can't see more of that style of Batman movies.