James Maddison

Status
Not open for further replies.

SER19

If we're aiming for a diamond system with AWB and Shaw as fullbacks then we'll end up without width whatsoever.
Big concern, but I do think Shaw has potential to evolve as a really good attacking fb. I personally really don't like a diamond but I knows its a possibility

AgentP

He's an amazing player. More than his assists and goals, I love the way he handles pressure. Always seems to know how to get out of a tight spot and keep the ball moving.

Skills

Snitch
If we're aiming for a diamond system with AWB and Shaw as fullbacks then we'll end up without width whatsoever.
We're aiming for defensive solidarity, and a hard working midfield and attack to knick us a goal.

Can't see us scoring more than 60 league goals next season.

Craig Ward

Given the links and the remit of buying young British talent, the links make absolute sense.

Dan James, Wan-Bissake, Rice, Longstaff, Aarons, Brooks & Maddison to name a few linked.

While there are better players out there (Eriksen etc), I like the fact that Maddison is talented, prem proven and is young and clearly has desire to better himself.

You can count on one hand the amount of current Utd players we have that actually have desire to improve themselves and our team.

Its a shift in transfer strategy from signing the likes of Sanchez and can only be good for our dressing room if we were to recruit players with a better professionalism and attitude.

The likes of Lingard/Sanchez/Pogba/Martial are absolutely the wrong characters for our club and we need them out and players like Maddison in.

Playing for Manchester united used to mean something, half our squad are a shambles attitude wise and having a free ride. I hope that changes under Ole's reign

Jinn

Given the links and the remit of buying young British talent, the links make absolute sense.

Dan James, Wan-Bissake, Rice, Longstaff, Aarons, Brooks & Maddison to name a few linked.

While there are better players out there (Eriksen etc), I like the fact that Maddison is talented, prem proven and is young and clearly has desire to better himself.

You can count on one hand the amount of current Utd players we have that actually have desire to improve themselves and our team.

Its a shift in transfer strategy from signing the likes of Sanchez and can only be good for our dressing room if we were to recruit players with a better professionalism and attitude.

The likes of Lingard/Sanchez/Pogba/Martial are absolutely the wrong characters for our club and we need them out and players like Maddison in.

Playing for Manchester united used to mean something, half our squad are a shambles attitude wise and having a free ride. I hope that changes under Ole's reign
You can add Lukaku to that list.

Wheato

You are dead right. It is almost like we are re-building our failed under 23 squad by buying these talented youngsters. Ole and Phelan know that it works as a strategy. They are hungry and want to be here. It lifts the whole team when you see their effort and desire. This is absolutely the direction we need to go. And if it takes 2/3 years for them to peak, then it will be worth it. We don't need 500k per week mercenaries to boost shirt sales in Asia. Success is what got us noticed over there, not instagram posts. I'm happy to lose a Pogba or 2 and build a proper team again.

Scholsey2004

Maddison and Brooks (Brooks was a dodgy sun link) are both childhood reds as well. Lads with stars in their eyes would be a nice return to ways.

Celoti23-81

You are dead right. It is almost like we are re-building our failed under 23 squad by buying these talented youngsters. Ole and Phelan know that it works as a strategy. They are hungry and want to be here. It lifts the whole team when you see their effort and desire. This is absolutely the direction we need to go. And if it takes 2/3 years for them to peak, then it will be worth it. We don't need 500k per week mercenaries to boost shirt sales in Asia. Success is what got us noticed over there, not instagram posts. I'm happy to lose a Pogba or 2 and build a proper team again.
Yeah, all and well knowing it works as a strategy. Are they the right ones to implement it! People talk of Ole as he is SAF! Useless combination having young players and a coaching team if they aren't able to improve players and be tactically astute.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Good post. I am all for this strategy. Mercenaries won't get us out of the hole we are in, they have too much self entitlement and feel like they have already 'earned' the right to be at a team winning trophies. We wan't players to come here looking to 'earn' that that right.

I'm all for the Maddison move if it is credible. He looked great last season and looks to be the type who won't plateau and be satisfied with his current level. Go for it Ed!

Wheato

Yeah, all and well knowing it works as a strategy. Are they the right ones to implement it! People talk of Ole as he is SAF! Useless combination having young players and a coaching team if they aren't able to improve players and be tactically astute.
OGS was a United player when the class of 92 fully broke into the first team. He was part of that post-Cantona re-build. He played with them for 11 years. Mike Phelan has been involved with United since 1989. He has coached the reserves twice, and was SAF's assistant/first team coach for 12 years. Between them as a player coach combination, they have won 10 premier league titles, 2 Champion's league trophies and 2 FA cup's.

I think that gives them enough credentials.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm not sure about this lad, he did have a very good relationship with Vardy last season and Rashford is a striker very much in Vardy's vein so it could work from that perspective but bloody hell that comparison is a stark reminder of how far we've fallen

Massive drop down in quality if he's Pogba's replacement

Jacob

I'd have him over Rabiot any day - disregarding financial aspects.

sp_107

No, it's either him or Bruno IMO.

This would be a great signing for us.
Agreed, I have a feeling Maddison could be a better success than Bruno.Perfect number 10 for years to come.

Hopefully we can sign number 8 and number6 too (Raboit/Barella/Tielemans/Ndombele/Partey/Neves are few names spring in to my head)

You guys have any other suggestions to fill in 6 and 8 roles?

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Agreed, I have a feeling Maddison could be a better success than Bruno.Perfect number 10 for years to come.

Hopefully we can sign number 8 and number6 too (Raboit/Barella/Tielemans/Ndombele/Partey/Neves are few names spring in to my head)

You guys have any other suggestions to fill in 6 and 8 roles?
If we sell Pogba:

Ndidi-Neves
-Maddison-

That's a perfect midfield in my eyes, good mix of creativity, energy, goals and defensive stabilty. One can only dream :lol:

Wheato

I'm not sure about this lad, he did have a very good relationship with Vardy last season and Rashford is a striker very much in Vardy's vein so it could work from that perspective but bloody hell that comparison is a stark reminder of how far we've fallen

Still had some decent stats with seven goals and seven assists. And he's not the Leicester City penalty taker. I'd rather have an entire team of BMW's, than a team of Fiat's, with one Ferrari that doesn't want to be here.

charlenefan

If we sell Pogba:

Ndidi-Neves
-Maddison-

That's a perfect midfield in my eyes, good mix of creativity, energy, goals and defensive stabilty. One can only dream :lol:
Your perfect midfield is Leicester's bar one player?

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Your perfect midfield is Leicester's bar one player?
Young players that will get better, Leicester have a very good midfield yes. We're buying potential, players that will grow with the team and unlike Leicester we can eventually add world class players that will lift the quality even more. The average age of that midfield is 22, yet all of them have PL experience and room to grow.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Think none of N'didi, Maddison is the answer you need. You need a scouting department. Clearly.

RedRover

I agree with that. The extent to which a change in approach in the market towards younger, british players is driven by desire or need (given no CL football) is questionable but it may well pay off in the long term.

Maddison was impressive for Leicester last year, at least in the games I watched. Going for players who have PL experience and the desire and potential to improve makes perfect sense. The PL is a top league and whilst some fans like to throw around the "overrated" or "overpriced" tag around for young british talent, the prices on the continent are just as ridiculous for the most part - often for players playing in a league without the same quality or intensity. De Light may well become a top class centre-half, or equally may not be the player we need right now, this year in the PL when we need experience and leadership. Maguire on the other hand (as VVD has for Liverpool) may very well be able to take that step up and for me, is arguably less of a risk.

Fernandes at Sporting as another. Great stats this season but will need to take a step up if he comes to the PL - especially if he comes to United where he'll be expected to perform immediately, in a squad in transition and potentially without the quality and experience around him that other clubs have. That's a risk.

The exception I think is Eriksen who could be attainable given the wages we could pay and who is, for me one of the best players in the PL.

Wherever the clubs chooses to go, one thing is clear - a lot of the current squad don't seem to be hungry enough to actually push on.

Celoti23-81

OGS was a United player when the class of 92 fully broke into the first team. He was part of that post-Cantona re-build. He played with them for 11 years. Mike Phelan has been involved with United since 1989. He has coached the reserves twice, and was SAF's assistant/first team coach for 12 years. Between them as a player coach combination, they have won 10 premier league titles, 2 Champion's league trophies and 2 FA cup's.

I think that gives them enough credentials.
Not really does it! Different kettle of fish being first team coach an a player to being the main men in charge of such a state of the club, SAFergusonless! Lingard despite being an absolute tit will be the first name on the team sheet next season! Ole is not ruthless enough! They obviously disrespect him for some apparent reason

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Why would they sell Maddison for a reasonable fee, if they won't sell Maguire? I feel like this is a lazy link.

Shaw Mee Tah Mané

If we sell Pogba:

Ndidi-Neves
-Maddison-

Tielemans instead of Neves? And buy Vardy to replace Lukaku? Maybe Pereira as the new RB with Maquire in as CB? :)

Looks like we rather should just get whos responsible for buying players at Leicester.

wurzel-red

Think none of N'didi, Maddison is the answer you need. You need a scouting department. Clearly.
That’s not how foot
Norwich fans could have said the same to you, every player is signed from another club and scouting is done at different levels for different clubs. It’s the way football works, if Maddison continues to impress he’ll move on to a bigger club, just like when Norwich put work in scouting him and signed him, then when he impressed you came along and bought him.

Volumiza

Rashford is a striker very much in Vardy's vein
Apart from the goals and quality of touch of course! Vardy is a much better striker in my humble opinion.

That depends on how you are judging 'quality'. Overall I would absolutely prefer Maddison as things stand. Yes Pogba has quality in terms of ability but he also has some qualities that aren't fitting with us right now. James Maddison has qualities that are very much what we need.

charlenefan

Apart from the goals and quality of touch of course! Vardy is a much better striker in my humble opinion.

That depends on how you are judging 'quality'. Overall I would absolutely prefer Maddison as things stand. Yes Pogba has quality in terms of ability but he also has some qualities that aren't fitting with us right now. James Maddison has qualities that are very much what we need.
I dont doubt Vardy is the better striker right now but they are at very different stages of their career.

As for Maddison I agree about Pogba's negative influences but when he's on it he's obviously one of the best in the league. I have no idea whether we'd be better off overall with him or Maddison but on paper we're certainly a much lesser threat

Volumiza

I dont doubt Vardy is the better striker right now but they are at very different stages of their career.
This is true and it would be nice to think Rashford can develop more but I guess that's for another thread :)

when he's on it he's obviously one of the best in the league.
That's my opinio too but I believe (without knowing of course) that Maddison would be 'on it' for a greater percentage of the season.

I have no idea whether we'd be better off overall with him or Maddison but on paper we're certainly a much lesser threat
Nor do I but I don't necessarily agree that we'd be a lesser threat, a different kind of threat yes, but maybe not a lesser one ... just my opinion obvisouly. But as a manager myself (not a football one of course) I would rather have an employee that gives me 7 - 8 out of ten over a whole year than one that gives me 4 - 6 out of ten for 70% of the time with the other 30% being 8 - 9 out of ten.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Tielemans instead of Neves? And buy Vardy to replace Lukaku? Maybe Pereira as the new RB with Maquire in as CB? :)

Looks like we rather should just get whos responsible for buying players at Leicester.
Nah, Neves is a must for my system to work :lol:
Honestly though, they do have very good recruitment. Their issue is attracting a top player or two, it will probably send them into the top 4.

dev1l

Maguire being linked to City now for £65m. If that happens I doubt they’ll let Maddison go as well?
He was reported saying he wants to speak with Ole after Euros.
Remains to be seen whether he fits in Ole s proposed system. (ie if our system requires midfielders to press. Maddison might not be the best option)

Hughie77

I only watched him few times last season, twice against us, and against Liverpool, he did really good in all those games.
Managers are a fan of him that says alot.
We wait and see, reports are true he's asked his guys to talk to ours .?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Ability wise every player we can sign is a downgrade from Pogba. Maddison looks a cracking player in the making to me. Would be a terrific addition. Hope we sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.