James Maddison

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
i don't understand why spend £60m on Maddison when James Rodriguez is available for €10m loan + €40m buy out @2020. If he doesn't work out in the system it only cost €10m.

DancingPanda

i don't understand why spend £60m on Maddison when James Rodriguez is available for €10m loan + €40m buy out @2020. If he doesn't work out in the system it only cost €10m.
What people don't understand is that the rumoured 100m transfer budget is what Ole are allowed to spend on James's.

GJNJ

I'd rather have Maddison. Signing a player like Rodriguez is last thing we should be doing.

GoldanoGraham

I'd rather have Maddison. Signing a player like Rodriguez is last thing we should be doing.
Agreed - James Rodriguez isnt wanted anywhere and was good at the 2014 WC and been shite ever since - that was Real Madrid doing a Karen Poborsky signing off the back of Euro 1996 - he is absolutely NOT the type of player/journeyman/high-wage-plodder we need. Number one requirement is a WANT to be at Utd and some leadership skills would be a great bonus.
I’d take Maddison all day long - exactly what we need

Classical Mechanic

Because he’s a high wage, low work rate and slow powder puff player. He’d be looking for a loan to Juve within 6 months. At our expense of course.

Gandalf

Agreed - James Rodriguez isnt wanted anywhere and was good at the 2014 WC and been shite ever since - that was Real Madrid doing a Karen Poborsky signing off the back of Euro 1996 - he is absolutely NOT the type of player/journeyman/high-wage-plodder we need. Number one requirement is a WANT to be at Utd and some leadership skills would be a great bonus.
I’d take Maddison all day long - exactly what we need
Poborsky was way better than James. He basically moved on from here because Beckham came through faster than expected and so there was no place for him in the team. He had an excellent career after leaving here and never moaned about the situation when he was on the bench. I would cheerfully drop 75m on Poborsky in his prime to fix our RW position now.

Dyslexic Untied

Poborsky was way better than James. He basically moved on from here because Beckham came through faster than expected and so there was no place for him in the team. He had an excellent career after leaving here and never moaned about the situation when he was on the bench. I would cheerfully drop 75m on Poborsky in his prime to fix our RW position now.
I think the point that was made had more to do with the concept of signing someone off one good tournament, rather than being an attack on Poborsky's character or professionalism.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Honestly. Isn’t he going to Napoli? I read it was €30m which would be the bargain of the summer.

Stacks

Young players that will get better, Leicester have a very good midfield yes. We're buying potential, players that will grow with the team and unlike Leicester we can eventually add world class players that will lift the quality even more. The average age of that midfield is 22, yet all of them have PL experience and room to grow.
If Leicester are so great why are they mid table?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
They lack someone extraordinary. The have several good players and one or two talents to become special. Man City have a whole bunch, Liverpool have Mane, Salah and probably even van Dijk, Chelsea have Hazard and Kante, Spurs have Kane and maybe even Eriksen. Man Utd have Pogba. Arsenal are close with Ozil and Aubameyang.

All the teams below top six 6 lack players at this level. If a good manager could pick the players he wanted from the teams below top six he would still struggle to make the top 5/6, and I would be surprised to see him make the top 4.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Honestly. Isn’t he going to Napoli? I read it was €30m which would be the bargain of the summer.
He did well under Ancelotti in Madrid and under Heynckes in Munich. He just needs the right coach to bring the best out of him. It is no surprise he wants to reunite with Ancelotti. He is the bargain of the summer whether it is €30m or €50m. Unless Ancelotti is a coach that doesn't know what he is doing, he first managed James in RM, then brought him to Bayern, and now he is trying to bring him to Napoli too. Heynckes is also full of praise of James as well and it can be found in internet easily. I don't believe both Ancelotti and Heynckes are bad coaches.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
They lack a couple of top players. They have the basis of a very good team but I doubt they can attract top tier talent. I don't get why Leicester are being underrated here, they've done some excellent recruitment IMO. Add VVD and Mane or Salah to that team and they're easily top 4 material.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Because he’s a high wage, low work rate and slow powder puff player. He’d be looking for a loan to Juve within 6 months. At our expense of course.
He is making €6.5 million annually, it is even less than Martial and Lingard. I don't mean he will join Man Utd, just trying to say there is bargain out there in the market and you need to pay premium buying within EPL.

Zed 101

They lack a couple of top players. They have the basis of a very good team but I doubt they can attract top tier talent. I don't get why Leicester are being underrated here, they've done some excellent recruitment IMO. Add VVD and Mane or Salah to that team and they're easily top 4 material.
I kind of agree under Rodgers next season would be surprised if Leicester are not more of a threat to the top 4 than Arse.... however add VVD, Mane and Salah to most teams and they would be top 4

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I kind of agree under Rodgers next season would be surprised if Leicester are not more of a threat to the top 4 than Arse.... however add VVD, Mane and Salah to most teams and they would be top 4
Nah, Leicester and Wolves yes. The test wouldn't.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

He's an amazing player. More than his assists and goals, I love the way he handles pressure. Always seems to know how to get out of a tight spot and keep the ball moving.
At top level, 7 goals and 7 assists isn't enough tbh.

I'm not a frequent watcher of Leicester but what does he contribute outside of this as an offensive player? Wouldn't Bruno make more sense?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The fact that their current midtable team is miles better than the one that won the league 3 years ago really highlights how extraordinary that season was. It feels like a lifetime ago. So much has changed in just 3 years. I miss pre-Pep PL.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The fact that their current midtable team is miles better than the one that won the league 3 years ago really highlights how extraordinary that season was. It feels like a lifetime ago. So much has changed in just 3 years. I miss pre-Pep PL.
Is it? They had Mahrez and Kante then. Sure they had your Danny Simpsons and the like, but they had an extremely well balanced team.

Ekeke

I think its far more likely for James just to be passing through for a couple of seasons, if he plays well Madrid come calling again or someone else. I dont remember him playing a CM role before like Maddison did in the 2nd half of last season. I think its worth thinking about but longterm I think Maddison is a much better option even if James might be better for the next season or two.

Also James would be higher wages and our wages are already out of control

NotQuiteManc

United's transfer history with Madrid, at least last summer wasn't good. Morata was rumoured to have price tag of almost 80 million before Lukaku was bought. Then Chelsea got Morata for less. So, I don't think Madrid would want to sell Hames to United, at least not at the rumoured price.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is it? They had Mahrez and Kante then. Sure they had your Danny Simpsons and the like, but they had an extremely well balanced team.
Kasper, Simpson, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs, Mahrez, Kante, Drinkwater, Albrighton, Okazaki, Vardy

Kasper, Ricardo, Maguire, Evans, Chilwell, Ndidi, Mendy, Albrighton, Maddison, Gray, Vardy

Take your pick. There's more rotation with the current one as guys like Choudhary, Barnes, Amartey & Ghezzal all get some game time.

I think it's fair to say the defence is miles better now.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Kasper, Simpson, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs, Mahrez, Kante, Drinkwater, Albrighton, Okazaki, Vardy

Kasper, Ricardo, Maguire, Evans, Chilwell, Ndidi, Mendy, Albrighton, Maddison, Gray, Vardy

Take your pick. There's more rotation with the current one as guys like Choudhary, Barnes, Amartey & Ghezzal all get some game time.

Great fullbacks now but it's a disservice to say that IMO as Morgan and Huth were two fantastic classic old fashion, commanding rocks at the back all season long.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would prefer Maddison. Don't want short fixes either.

meamth

Yeah but remember you can't play attacking football without ball playing CBs... :nervous:
Leicester won the league with ruthless counter pressing and fast break goals.
That was a good example of how you can win the league without ball playing CBs.
Win the ball, fast counter, and boom, they were great.

Vardy was great that season, so was Mahrez. It wasn't a fluke..

amolbhatia50k

The old team was better. Most importantly they had a cohesion that was the stuff or champions (literally) and the current side doesn't have anyone as good as Kante or Mahrez.

The current team is probably more progressive and headed in a good direction.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

I'm not a frequent watcher of Leicester but what does he contribute outside of this as an offensive player? Wouldn't Bruno make more sense?
Nah, Maddison is better. People are hyping Bruno too much.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

2016 team had 2 outstanding players in Kante and Mahrez, and a much better attacking system. Current team better balanced in midfield and defence, lacking the attack.

amolbhatia50k

First season in the PL as a 21/22 year old and that too for Leicester. To me, everything cannot be summed up by statistics. He looks a technically excellent to me and seems to have a strong all round game - passing, through balls, shooting, set pieces etc. Appears to work hard as well. I find him more interesting than Bruno who appears to be more hyped due to peformances in a weaker league in his prime. I could be wrong but based on limited viewing, Maddison looks more exciting to me

Scholsey2004

Their recruitment is great considering their resources and pulling power. Mahrez, kante, vardy, ndidi and to a lesser extent maddison and Maguire were picked out of relative obscurity for small fees.

Stacks

They lack someone extraordinary. The have several good players and one or two talents to become special. Man City have a whole bunch, Liverpool have Mane, Salah and probably even van Dijk, Chelsea have Hazard and Kante, Spurs have Kane and maybe even Eriksen. Man Utd have Pogba. Arsenal are close with Ozil and Aubameyang.

All the teams below top six 6 lack players at this level. If a good manager could pick the players he wanted from the teams below top six he would still struggle to make the top 5/6, and I would be surprised to see him make the top 4.
Level on points with West Ham, below Everton and Wolves??? They have Vardy. I think they are being overrated here. Arsenal do not have any one extraordinary and they are not West Ham level....

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Level on points with West Ham, below Everton and Wolves??? They have Vardy. I think they are being overrated here. Arsenal do not have any one extraordinary and they are not West Ham level....
Without doubt as people only remember good performance from other clubs.

General rating is they have
better CB in Maguire + 1,
Ricardo Pereira is arguable best RB in the league,
Chilwell is better than Shaw
Ndidi is better than Matic

With all this and us having a stinker (also De Gea having below average season) they conceded just 6 less goals than us.

They also have better FBs who contribute a lot in attack, Maddison is very good, Vardy is better than all out strikers but somehow they scored 14 less goals than us. This is with so much drama surrounding club right from preseason.

They also had same defense minus Ricardo Pereira in 2017-18, they conceded 60 goals, ManUtd conceded 28.

They are good team no doubt but like you said, overrated too.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Their recruitment is great considering their resources and pulling power. Mahrez, kante, vardy, ndidi and to a lesser extent maddison and Maguire were picked out of relative obscurity for small fees.
Their recruitment is down to not being able to get players from the top tier, hence they have to go for players that they can develop.
I'm not denying that their recruitment has been decent, just merely stating that the players they have gone for have been excellent players at teams generally below Leicester. They aren't exactly plucking these players out of obscurity just merely taking a punt, like United have with James this season.

Stacks

Ricardo Pereira is arguable best RB in the league,
Chilwell is better than Shaw

With all this and us having a stinker (also De Gea having below average season) they conceded just 6 less goals than us.

They also have better FBs who contribute a lot in attack, Maddison is very good, Vardy is better than all out strikers but somehow they scored 14 less goals than us. This is with so much drama surrounding club right from preseason.

They also had same defense minus Ricardo Pereira in 2017-18, they conceded 60 goals, ManUtd conceded 28.

You have scared me now. Do we really want their defenders?!?!

roonster09

Scout
You have scared me now. Do we really want their defenders?!?!
Usually not good to rate defenders based on their team performance but in this case we are saying all their defenders are better than what we have, including defensive mid but the goals conceded is not showing much difference.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
That’s not how foot
Norwich fans could have said the same to you, every player is signed from another club and scouting is done at different levels for different clubs. It’s the way football works, if Maddison continues to impress he’ll move on to a bigger club, just like when Norwich put work in scouting him and signed him, then when he impressed you came along and bought him.
You are absolutely spot on. Difference being, when Leicester signed him he was unproven at a PL level. Therefore his cost was significantly lower, as you would expect.

Further proof of this is shown with the costs quoted for AWB and Diop.
Scouting at a PL level is not that useful, unless you have almost infinite funds

Ricardo Pereira is arguable best RB in the league, Chilwell is better than Shaw

Quite right, quite right. You bullies just leave little 'ol Leicester alone. :nervous:

Last edited by a moderator:

roonster09

Scout
Quite right, quite right. You bullies just leave little 'ol Leicester alone. :nervous:
Didn't say you are shit, just overrated when so many are better than ManUtd players but somehow it doesn't add up with you see goals scored and conceded.

Status
Not open for further replies.