James Milner | Signed for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Substitutions present different options throughout the context of a game, but they are still usually weaker players than those on the pitch from the start.

Where do we need a squad player? The odd exception aside, we should only be buying players that are good enough to break into the first team, duly forcing the weaker players out.
Not necessarily true, a lot of subs are just as strong as those in the first team, they have tha ability to influence a game from the bench, which is something we are lacking at the moment, there are currently 2 types of players at United, STRONG first team players and WEAK first team players, we have too many similar players that subs tend to have little or no impact on the team, the weak first team players need to be ushered out of the team and replaced with strong squad players - Rojo and Fellaini are the only ones we have at the moment.

Kag

Not necessarily true, a lot of subs are just as strong as those in the first team, they have tha ability to influence a game from the bench, which is something we are lacking at the moment, there are currently 2 types of players at United, STRONG first team players and WEAK first team players, we have too many similar players that subs tend to have little or no impact on the team, the weak first team players need to be ushered out of the team and replaced with strong squad players - Rojo and Fellaini are the only ones we have at the moment.
This is getting more confusing than it needs to be. You replace the weaker members of the first team (Valencia, Jones, Blind, Fellaini, Young) with better players to start week in, week out. Those players, if still desired, fulfill various roles throughout the squad, acting as good cover and competition.

No team actively plays inferior players for the sake of having a stronger bench.

Roman Bellic

Prick
This is getting more confusing than it needs to be. You replace the weaker members of the first team (Valencia, Jones, Blind, Fellaini, Young) with better players to start week in, week out. Those players, if still desired, fulfill various roles throughout the squad, acting as good cover and competition.

No team actively plays inferior players for the sake of having a stronger bench.
Out of all those players you mentioned only Valencia is currently a first team player (if all our players are in top form), and we are in the market for a new RB which basically means none of those players would make it into our first team next season, which would make them bench/role/squad players at best right now, and out of all those players only Fellaini has a legitimate claim for being a STRONG squad player, the rest are either too similar or too weak to have any sort of impact from the bench, which is why i think they need to be sold in favour of STRONG squad players.

I honestly dont know where you got the "Play inferior players for the sake of having a stronger bench from".

Kag

Out of all those players you mentioned only Valencia is currently a first team player (if all our players are in top form), and we are in the market for a new RB which basically means none of those players would make it into our first team next season, which would make them bench/role/squad players at best right now, and out of all those players only Fellaini has a legitimate claim for being a STRONG squad player, the rest are either too similar or too weak to have any sort of impact from the bench, which is why i think they need to be sold in favour of STRONG squad players.

I honestly dont know where you got the "Play inferior players for the sake of having a stronger bench from".
Blind has started every Premier League game he has has been fit for. Fellaini and Young have been ever-presents since March. Jones has played little to no less than any of our other centre half's. All of these players were regulars during our best run of form. If these aren't regular first team players then who is?

That you believe these players won't be in our first team next season adds weight to my point. We're reportedly looking for a right back, centre back, central midfielder and wide man (Depay) because we know that we can improve on these players. So, why would you advocate signing more squad players when it's clear we can fill the first team with the best players in said positions?

Both Fellaini and Young can make a difference from the bench, they have done this season. And players like Blind and Jones, or Rojo, aren't on the bench to make an impact. They're on there because they ensure we have quality cover the first team. If Luke Shaw gets injured them we have a very capable alternative in Blind, for example.

Who would you sell, out of curiosity?

NoPace

This would only make sense if Fellaini wasn't here, and we were looking for a CM to back up Herrera and the other starting CM in our 4-3-3 (with a DM behind them).

But there's no need for both Milner and Fellaini as backups when we also have Di Maria, Mata, Blind, Pereira and Rooney who can all play as an 8 or a 10.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Milner + Herrera would be an interesting blend; high pressing, energy, creativity. Not to mention it helps the English quota... I actually wouldn't mind this if it were to happen.

Put a solid anchor behind them like Carrick/Schneiderlin and that would be a delightful midfield.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Blind has started every Premier League game he has has been fit for. Fellaini and Young have been ever-presents since March. Jones has played little to no less than any of our other centre half's. All of these players were regulars during our best run of form. If these aren't regular first team players then who is?

That you believe these players won't be in our first team next season adds weight to my point. We're reportedly looking for a right back, centre back, central midfielder and wide man (Depay) because we know that we can improve on these players. So, why would you advocate signing more squad players when it's clear we can fill the first team with the best players in said positions?

Both Fellaini and Young can make a difference from the bench, they have done this season. And players like Blind and Jones, or Rojo, aren't on the bench to make an impact. They're on there because they ensure we have quality cover the first team. If Luke Shaw gets injured them we have a very capable alternative in Blind, for example.

Who would you sell, out of curiosity?
Like i said, if all our players are fit and performing at the level they are expected to perform then none of those players would make the first team next season(Assuming we sign a RB this summer), Di Maria wasn't a regular during our best run of form is that going to make him a benchwarmer next season? we all expect him to be World Class next season which would make him the first player on the team sheet, even if his performances are still average, i still expect him to be a starter...just because.

Fellaini is the only solid squad player we have who would be able to make an impact from the bench, i think the mistake you're making is you're planning for next season with this season in mind, this was a weird season where our top players failed to perform and players like Young and Fellaini performed well but not well enough to warrant a first team position next season, Young was really good this season, but it still wasnt anything close to what a World Class Di Maria is capable of doing, with Di Maria and Depay in the first team next season there would be no need for Ashley Young to come off the bench as an attacker as he is basically Di Maria without the magic and the end product.

Having Jones,Rojo and Blind on the bench to cover the first team would be wasting a spot on the bench imo, they can all play at CB and 2 of them can play at LB, so it would make more sense to give a spot on the bench to a STRONG utility player.

I would sell RVP,Rafael,Jones and Hernandez and loan out Januzaj and Wilson.

red thru&thru

Milner would be a good signing…however, he knows if he were to come to us or afc, he wouldn't be a starter…liverpool he would

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He's signing for the side that will give him solid amount of first team football and knowing our luck with injuries he would probably get plenty.

The question is if he's still ambitious enough to step up to a Champions League level.

Bwuk

Milner is a good player Id take him in a heart beat on a free. Can play any of the front six positions.

NoPace

I could actually see him being a very good RWB for Liverpool if they keep their 3-4-3 going. He seems like he'll be a strong runner into his early 30's, sort of like Lichsteiner at Juve, and he can time a run and pass the ball okay for a wingback.

Not a big fan of him in a central role and he can't beat a man so it's tough to play him on the wing.

Other than that role, I don't think he's more than versatile depth for anyone in the top 5.

Skizzo

Isn't he Leeds through and through?
Season ticket holder when he was younger.

We went to the same school, and my friend said we played together at some point before I moved to the states. I remember bone of that though.

There's no real point behind mentioning that, but besides meeting Terry Cooke at an Old Trafford tour, i have nothing else.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What the deuce, he's 29!?

I'd still take him. Actually would be quite pleased seeing him in the team.

RooneyLegend

Milner + Herrera would be an interesting blend; high pressing, energy, creativity. Not to mention it helps the English quota... I actually wouldn't mind this if it were to happen.

Put a solid anchor behind them like Carrick/Schneiderlin and that would be a delightful midfield.
It wouldn't, anything with Milner in it cannot be deemed delightful.

mu4c_20le

He made 32 appearances this season amongst a packed City midfield that consists of Yaya Toure, Fernandinho, and Silva. Clearly he's not as terrible as some are making out.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I don't doubt his quality, but he's not the type of midfielder that the first team needs in any position. And I'm not a fan of buying players with the purpose of them being for the squad. They should either be signed for the first team, and eventually relegated into a squad role, or young, where they are in the squad role with the intention of being a starter in the future.
He'll do well wherever he ends up, though. Was very good centrally for Villa, and he barely seems to have changed as a player since then.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He had a great time at villa playing regularly in central midfield... He should go somewhere he will be the main midfielder again rather than a sub who can play either wing, as a false 9, attacking or Central midfield and even full back.
West ham or back to villa and let them build around him

saivet

He made 32 appearances this season amongst a packed City midfield that consists of Yaya Toure, Fernandinho, and Silva. Clearly he's not as terrible as some are making out.
Yaya looks his a ghost of his former self and to be honest, I don't think Fernandinho is any good either. Certainly not as bad as some make out but he still remains nothing special. His best attributes are his work rate and his ability to play pretty much anywhere to an okay standard.

prarek

Those stars under performed to be fair
Don't think Silva underperformed, he's been good for the most part but certainly Yaya and Fernandinho. I can see why Milner got so many games.

C'est Moi Cantona

It would be an uninspiring signing for sure but he could do really well for us, the only issue would be the fact he doesn't like sitting on the bench at City, so doubt he will think that will improve very much if he signs for us.

But he could well fit the LvG 'do as you're told', and 'work as a team' philosophy perfectly.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Don't think Silva underperformed, he's been good for the most part but certainly Yaya and Fernandinho. I can see why Milner got so many games.
He's not competing with either of those three though. He only plays out wide so his competition is Navas, Nasri and Jovetic to an extent (based on the fact Silva will always start, then there are 1 or 2 remaining positions for Navas/Nasri/Milner/Jovetic depending on the formation).

prarek

He's not competing with either of those three though. He only plays out wide so his competition is Navas, Nasri and Jovetic to an extent (based on the fact Silva will always start, then there are 1 or 2 remaining positions for Navas/Nasri/Milner/Jovetic depending on the formation).
Oh yes but doesn't he occasionally start in the middle? I think he's a pretty decent handyman tbf.

C'est Moi Cantona

Was it reported that City offered him £165 K per week? If the Telegraph reports of him joining Liverpool are true surely they won't get even close to that figure.

Clear he just wants to play.

RooneyLegend

How good they are.
Okay thanks for the clarity, so what makes a strong squad player a better option than a weak first team player? Also how do we differentiate between stong squad players and weak first 11 players?

ThanksBoss26

Was it reported that City offered him £165 K per week? If the Telegraph reports of him joining Liverpool are true surely they won't get even close to that figure.

Clear he just wants to play.
Yep, fair play to him if that's the case. A lot of players would have just sat on the bench at City and took the money. Not one I'm too bothered on missing out on if indeed our enquiry was even made. I suspect even if it was, it went no further.

Naturally, whether he stays at City or goes to Liverpool or Arsenal, I hope he's a complete disaster.

RooneyLegend

You obviously think every player in a side needs to be a superstar. Look at our previous title winning squads and you'll see plenty of players like him - hard working reliable players. And he's arguably been one of city's best players this year.
Look at the current squad of the best team in the world(Barca) they don't have these so called hard working reliable players. Its an absolute myth that teams need these fillers. Yes, title winning teams have had them, but definitely don't need them. Use the talented kids we have as fillers, sort out a great first 11 and then off we go.

If he's been one of cities best players then they really need to make adjustments in the summer.

adamwest

Quality player who always seems to turn it on against us. Definitely a Leeds lad !

RU Devil

So besides RWB in a 3-4-3, where does he slot in for Liverpool? Don't see where he can play centrally with Hendo, Can, Allen, and Lucas all there, could he?

Status
Not open for further replies.