James Robson: Even Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp would be destined to fail at Man Utd

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Do like how the vultures are finally circling over the club and going at it, you hate that its come to this, but I'm glad to see it.
Should have happened years ago.

Put it another way. Would Liverpool be champions of Europe, the world and on the verge of a record-breaking Premier League title if the decision-makers at United were calling the shots at Anfield?

For instance, what if Klopp had seen his board baulk at the valuations of Mohamed Salah, Virgil van Dijk or Alisson in the manner in which United are haggling over the price of Bruno Fernandes?

Imagine, for a second, that his overhaul of the squad he inherited from Brendan Rodgers was stalled by the decision to protect assets like Christian Benteke, Jose Enrique and Joe Allen.
These lines, especially the last one, stuck out. The fact we gave players like Jones and Andreas new contracts last season is laughable.

Our fall from grace is of our own making.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
James Robson is a hack.
Maybe, but I agree with him.

We have had 1 manager chosen by Fergie, 2 World-class Manager and still, we have gone backwards. I doubt sacking Olli will change that either.

It's firmly the fault of people like Woodward who knows nothing of football and makes football decisions every day.

I honestly feel like this club is being sucked dry and we are not just falling behind but being stripped off everything.

Siorac

Mourinho made a mug of himself and is in the process of doing it again at a different club. Oh and there was his last season at Chelsea, too.

Having said that, Klopp probably wouldn't do as well here as at Liverpool but certainly better than Mourinho because these days he's a much better manager.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Maybe, but I agree with him.

We have had 1 manager chosen by Fergie, 2 World-class Manager and still, we have gone backwards. I doubt sacking Olli will change that either.

It's firmly the fault of people like Woodward who knows nothing of football and makes football decisions every day.

I honestly feel like this club is being sucked dry and we are not just falling behind but being stripped off everything.
If by 2 world class manager, you mean LVG and Mourinho then we had no world class managers. LVG hasn't been world class since the late 90s and Mourinho was on a clear decline since 2012. Now that still points to a problem with the people picking those managers but Liverpool record before Klopp wasn't exactly good.

Dr. StrangeHate

Klopp who has spent less than what United has in the same time would fail here. Makes total sense.

Alabaster Codify7

He isn't wrong. Klopp would have this team higher than 5th and with more points, guaranteed, but we certainly wouldn't be competing for major honours with this squad. Any new manager needs to be heavily backed in the market as we need to upgrade 3-4 first team players at least. And that isn't going to happen with this ownership overseeing things.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Well, if he wasn't in charge of recrutiment he may well have failed here.

fergiesarmy1

The problems are bigger than the manager, not sure how anyone can argue that if your either Ole in or out.

Bestietom

These lines, especially the last one, stuck out. The fact we gave players like Jones and Andreas new contracts last season is laughable.

Selling players without replacing them, was bound for failure. A Top team/club would never do that. The Owners and Woody has to take the blame.

HJ12

How is hypothetical stuff like this even news? Next tweet "You have to doubt United wouldn't be winning the league right now without CR7".
Let's all create alternate realities with highly improbable chances of actually ever happening, and tweet about it. Oh, and don't forget to make it about United, else you won't get enough clicks, re-tweets, likes, and whatever else.

KekiZeki

It depends how you define failure.

If it's not fixing us in less than one and a half season then yes, Klopp would fail with us as well.

We need permanent manager, slow and gradual climb up. Our spending might need to adjust to no regular CL for a few seasons but we're facing no CL either way, might as well give someone time to fix the club.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Regardless of how each supporter feels about Ole, there is significant issues above him that need rectifying. I was on the tour of the stadium only last week and between that and the chanting at the Norwich game, it's clear the match going fans and even employees of the club (the tour guide was a season ticket holder in the Stretford End and made his feels on the Glaziers and Woodward known, albeit in a very subtle manner) have had enough of the incompetence higher up in the club.

Added to all that, the reports coming out today about criticism directed the top level of the club shows that there is finally some light being thrown on the poor way the club is being run. Can only hope it finally results in change of some sort, maybe not a regime change as that seems extremely difficult to do anything about but certainly trying to make a change to the way we are being run and planning for the future in a better way.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Robson is right. Ole is not the right man for the job and IMO deserves to be sacked, but until the Woodward is gone and the overall structure of the club is changed, it'll be tough for any manager to succeed.

Godfather

Depends what succeeds means. Would he do better than Ole? Most definitely yes. No comparison. Would he have won the CL and a PL title? I doubt it.

Bulldog United

Another tidal wave of negativity this week after giving the runaway league leaders another fright. If only Martial hadn't sent his golden opportunity to the moon.... :(

KekiZeki

Depends what succeeds means. Would he do better than Ole? Most definitely yes. No comparison. Would he have won the CL and a PL title? I doubt it.
Perhaps, but it's not like he's an option anymore. Even if Klopp did come and did things right there would always be a section of the fans pointing out he didn't win CL or PL and wanting a change. There is no pleasing some people.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nah, Klopp would succeed here despite the management because hes a great manager, just like how Sir Alex succeeded here despite the management. Just like Pep would. Great managers overcome that at the end of the day.

AneRu

Klopp who has spent less than what United has in the same time would fail here. Makes total sense.
The issue is would we have given him the platform and the room to make the sort of decisions that he made at Liverpool? Its not about money only but if he had demanded that we cut Pogba off (hypothetical) would we have allowed him when we refused to allow a more accomplished manager, Jose, the freedom get rid of Martial? Do we have the competencies needed to pull off what Liverpool have pulled off in identifying talent and bringing it it?

passing-wind

Klopp would never have struggled here, he would have been given more resources to build a team compared to Liverpool. We can moan about the glazers all we want but the money spent is not the issue it's the hierarchical structure.

Only a Klopp / Guardiola have the capabilities of being world class managers to paper over the cracks of how bad the club is run.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Maybe it shouldn't have been Ole in the first place, which takes us back to the people making the decisions at the club.
Perhaps you're right regarding Ole, but I can't see anyone coming in and doing significantly better. We simply can't coach our way out of some of the issues we have with this squad.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Perhaps you're right regarding Ole, but I can't see anyone coming in and doing significantly better. We simply can't coach our way out of some of the issues we have with this squad.
Agree. The people running the club are our biggest problem and until that changes it might not get much better. There will likely be false dawn after false dawn.

littlepeasoup

Liverpool already had a pretty great foundation when Klopp joined. Obviously he's a fantastic manager but his success in a relatively short amount of time is absolutely built upon the work that preceded him and having the right structure in place for a good manager to thrive, similar to Pep at City, and before that Munich and Barcelona. They are both world-class generational talents, but their success doesn't exist in a vacuum, especially within the context of modern football.

I find it hard to buy into the notion that any manager in world football today would be a panacea for the malaise at United.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's a strange article, as it mentions United balking at the price of Fernandes, and not replacing strikers, almost seems to suggest they won't pay up for players. But United have spent more on transfers in the time Klopp has been at Liverpool. So it's a rather disingenuous argument. It's about doing the right transfers. And that has been one of the obvious strengths at Liverpool, is under him they have built a squad methodically and brillianty over the last 4 years.

Klopp by himself wouldn't be able to turn it around - and he would be first to admit that, but Klopp with the right sporting director would be a different proposition all together.

cyril C

I disagree. A better coach, would have understood the importance of a balance team, instead of stuffing the squad with small, fast pace players who can't pass. Mourinho always understands aerial power, hence anyone other than Ole, would never have got rid of Smalling but keeping Rojo. Nor would Klopp get rid of Lukaku. Kloop would make sure we have either fullback or wingers who can cross the ball, that is before we talk about Fred. Perierra has no place in a high tempo game like this. If we had Smalling in place of Williams, Lukaku in place of Perierra, at least we won't concede the 1st goal.

JPRouve

Scout
Liverpool already had a pretty great foundation when Klopp joined. Obviously he's a fantastic manager but his success in a relatively short amount of time is absolutely built upon the work that preceded him and having the right structure in place for a good manager to thrive, similar to Pep at City, and before that Munich and Barcelona. They are both world-class generational talents, but their success doesn't exist in a vacuum, especially within the context of modern football.

I find it hard to buy into the notion that any manager in world football today would be a panacea for the malaise at United.
Not really, they created the structure in the year following his hiring which culminated with the nomination of Edwards as DOF 14 months after Klopp became manager. The structure wasn't in place, it was created based on his requirements after his hiring.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I dont think thats true. Liverpool had that farcical transfer committe going for over 3 years before he arrived, and the squad they created through that and through pandering to the whims of the previous manager was expesively assembled and bloated and lacking in real quality in many areas. Just look at the turn around over the last 4 years, they've culled that squad through necessity. The only signifcant pieces left are Henderson, Firmino, Gomez and Milner. They also added a whole new layer of their backroom and training team including the nutritionist and athletic trainer they took from Bayern.

But what it does show that with the right people, it's possible to change things dramaticlly within 2/3 years. It's just getting that right structure, it took Liverpool a long time and a few big missfires.

littlepeasoup

Not really, they created the structure in the year following his hiring which culminated with the nomination of Edwards as DOF 14 months after Klopp became manager. The structure wasn't in place, it was created based on his requirements after his hiring.
For sure, I think my general point (without completely putting my foot in my mouth :lol:) was that there was a willingness at that club to put football first, something I don't see at United at present.

I dont think thats true. Liverpool had that farcical transfer committe going for over 3 years before he arrived, and the squad they created through that and through pandering to the whims of the previous manager was expesively assembled and bloated and lacking in real quality in many areas. Just look at the turn around over the last 4 years, they've culled that squad through necessity. The only signifcant pieces left are Henderson, Firmino, Gomez and Milner. They also added a whole new layer of their backroom and training team including the nutritionist and athletic trainer they took from Bayern.

But what it does show that with the right people, it's possible to change things dramaticlly within 2/3 years. It's just getting that right structure, it took Liverpool a long time and a few big missfires.
Divock Origi is shaking his fist at you right now. :lol:

izec

No, not really. The difference is Liverpool had trust in Klopp and he implemented a change. If Klopp came here, he would have changed the whole atmosphere, fans, Ed and everyone would be behind him. That is the difference. The managers we had after Fergie cant do that, and doubts creep in. Who in their right mind would back Mourinho long term? Or Ole now? Klopp and Pep are top managers and they convince everyone in and around the club that they are the top guys, because they are. They show it on the pitch as well as behind the scenes. It is easy to get behind these type of characters, just like Fergie. They are the reasons for change, clubs dont change just like that, you need someone that knows how to and gives the confidence to go that way.,

JPRouve

Scout
For sure, I think my general point (without completely putting my foot in my mouth :lol:) was that there was a willingness at that club to put football first, something I don't see at United at present.
And that's something that I don't get. All our managers had significant demands whether it concerned the staff, the club infrastructure(training facilities) or even expensive players. The club has always tried to follow the managers, Butt made all the changes that he wanted as a director of the academy. So I have no reason to question the club's willingness to follow the managers/directors instruction. And the "football first" thing is an hogwash, outside of money there is no reason to not alter things in a way that suits a manager and this football club doesn't really care about money, we throw it as if it was burning our pocket. As I said in an other thread, I think that our managers have never wanted a different structure, they want to be involved in everything, play the SAF, and unlike Klopp didn't ask for a DOF or a structure that compensate for their weaknesses, we mainly hired narcissist which is on Woodward. I'm 100% sure that if we had hire Klopp we would be praising our current DOF.

Why is Butt doing perfectly fine with this board when he was given the biggest rebuild operation since Harrison in the late 80s?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

I don’t remember reading a more depressing sentence than that.