James Robson: Even Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp would be destined to fail at Man Utd

AshRK

I never suggested that the board was doing a wonderful job, you just happens to talk absolute nonsense when it comes to backing/not backing a manager. And can't support your point which leads us to this post.
The issue is you never understood the clux of my post and just started blabbering. I said Jose was backed and that meant we finished 2nd but what next? If Woodward did not agree with Jose why give him a new contract in 2017 jan when he had achieved nothing significant till then. So do you think Dalot and Fred were sufficient for us to challenge City who hit century in points? Who asked the club to not sack Jose if they could figure he is wanting the wrong players? The truth is had we let Jose go at the end of that summer we would have been in a better position and not wasted whole of last season.

So you tell me why are we here after 6 years? Surely someone has to be blamed for all of this. Ole only came last December, Jose is long gone and so are Moyes and Van gaal. I get managers have to be blamed but what about this board. What about the inept decisions they have taken which is what this thread is about.

The issue is you never understood the clux of my post and just started blabbering. I said Jose was backed and that meant we finished 2nd but what next? If Woodward did not agree with Jose why give him a new contract in 2017 jan when he had achieved nothing significant till then. So do you think Dalot and Fred were sufficient for us to challenge City who hit century in points? Who asked the club to not sack Jose if they could figure he is wanting the wrong players? The truth is had we let Jose go at the end of that summer we would have been in a better position and not wasted whole of last season.

So you tell me why are we here after 6 years? Surely someone has to be blamed for all of this. Ole only came last December, Jose is long gone and so are Moyes and Van gaal. I get managers have to be blamed but what about this board. What about the inept decisions they have taken which is what this thread is about.
The mistake we made that was at some point in 2018 (not 2017 as you wrote) after that contract was signed, the entire club had change of view regarding a more sustainable future and not burning through a new 35m quid CB every single season and casting the likes of Rashford and Martial to the waste-side.

The feck up was expecting Mourinho to be ok with that, we should have said thanks, and let him be on his way, hiring the right a manager for part 2 of the rebuild as part 1 was successful enough, quick fix of a European trophy followed by 2nd in league and becoming relevant again. We didn't though, we kept a manager who was completely against those views and then replaced him with as average a manager as we could find. If we're hired Klopp then, or when we hired Mourinho, he'd have done a tremendous job.

Instead though we're back at stage 1 again, we've let the average guy completely gut the stage 1 squad and we're in a worse state than ever. The club as a whole have to take blame for this, including Woodward, Glazers, the board (SAF, Gill included).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Again you seem to not understand what the term unconditionally means. The money available at a point in time is a condition, having to sell before making a particular signing is a condition too, being temporarily skint will have consequences on what you can or can't do at a certain point in time and in the case of summer 2018 we actually tried to sign Maguire at a fee that we could afford but failed. And the board has been blamed and is being blamed, it doesn't mean that every narrative that sounds negative actually applies to us. Our issues are fairly simple, we hired the wrong managers and decided to follow their wishes to the best of our abilties when we shouldn't have hired these managers and should have a structure that is independent to the head coach, that's on the board.

AshRK

The mistake we made that was at some point in 2018 (not 2017 as you wrote) after that contract was signed, the entire club had change of view regarding a more sustainable future and not burning through a new 35m quid CB every single season and casting the likes of Rashford and Martial to the waste-side.

The feck up was expecting Mourinho to be ok with that, we should have said thanks, and let him be on his way, hiring the right a manager for part 2 of the rebuild as part 1 was successful enough, quick fix of a European trophy followed by 2nd in league and becoming relevant again. We didn't though, we kept a manager who was completely against those views and then replaced him with as average a manager as we could find. If we're hired Klopp then, or when we hired Mourinho, he'd have done a tremendous job.

Instead though we're back at stage 1 again, we've let the average guy completely gut the stage 1 squad and we're in a worse state than ever. The club as a whole have to take blame for this, including Woodward, Glazers, the board (SAF, Gill included).
Yep, meant 2018 and not 2017. The fact is had we taken quick decision in that summer then we would have been in a much better position now. I don;t think any manager now can give us a quick success.

dove

And you tell me how exactly have this board done a good job since 2013 apart from making stupid decisions after stupid, whether that be appointing wrong managers or offering contracts to mediocre players on stupid wages.
I never said our board has done good job, they are mostly useless. But saying "how our rivals board have backed their managers to do their stuff" is simply not true. Every club has its problems and the managers don't always get what they want, it's very rare when they do. Poch got pretty much feck all but he managed to work with what he had. Contrary to many myths here, we are backing our managers quite a lot, sometimes too much. There is only so much you can do when the manager is clueless.

Yep, meant 2018 and not 2017. The fact is had we taken quick decision in that summer then we would have been in a much better position now. I don;t think any manager now can give us a quick success.
Quick no, but quicker, abso-fecking-lutely.

A top manager this Summer puts names like Sancho back on the cards, and top young players and a top manager are the fastest way back.

Ludens the Red

Nah, Klopp would succeed here despite the management because hes a great manager, just like how Sir Alex succeeded here despite the management. Just like Pep would. Great managers overcome that at the end of the day.
Yup, an average to bad manager has no chance under a shite board.
A great manager under a shite board will succeed. It’s happened before and it’ll happen again.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yup, an average to bad manager has no chance under a shite board.
A great manager under a shite board will succeed. It’s happened before and it’ll happen again.
Yup. The goal is to be able to succeed with an average manager, so that when you get a great manager, you truly build a great side. That's why the structure being right is the best way to do it. But teams all the time just get there by getting a great manager and make it work for them.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Explain to me @Henrik Larsson again why Dortmund haven't won a Bundesliga or made a CL final since Klopp left, despite also having the best behind the scenes set-up in the World when Klopp was there.

Since Klopp left, Dortmund have strangely gotten worse in the CL each year, go figure. Quarters, quarters, last 16, last 16, last 16.

Coincidence? I don't think so.
What the feck does this even mean man, are you drunk right now? I literally don't undestand your question.

Personally I think Klopp is a fantastic coach and he did a phenomenal job at Dortmund from an underdog position. I also feel that the individual influence of managers on the results of a football team gets incredibly overrated, and I feel the importance of the individual quality of the players available and other factes at a club than the manager get very underrated - there's also plenty of actual research out there to back up my feelings about that.

My point simply is, Klopp wasn't winning European finals when he had Touré in defense against Sevilla, or Karius in goal against Real Madrid now was he? But with Allison Becker and Van Dijk he did win a final, the impact of their individual quality on Liverpool has clearly been much bigger than say Klopp's tactical instructions before a match.

Now lets look at how Liverpool got Van Dijk and Allison. Did Klopp create them from a 3D printer? Did he personally scout them from some obscure Eastern European league? Were they available for peanuts? No, they were highly rated players that costed ridiculous money, but they were also perfectly scouted by a whole team of people working for Liverpool. How did Liverpool get the money to buy those players? Well for instance, they generated a shitload of extra funds to invest with the (buying and) sale of Coutinho.

Now compare that to United. We were faced with a similar scenario after Pogba openly stated on camera this summer he was open for another challenge. Could've sold him for big money to adress issues in other areas. We didn't though, 70 million net spend two summers in a row baby, and I guess that's the big difference between United and Liverpool in a nutshell.

From the renovation of their stadium to the transfer decisions or hiring coaches to improve throw-ins, everything Liverpool has been doing for the last years has a sensible idea behind it, and they have the best people on every important position in their club, from top to bottom, all working on the same goal, which is to improve the quality of the football on the pitch. United have just had some weird scattergun approach with no bigger goal or long term vision and we're paying the price for that now.

You see anything like this in place at United, people of that calibre planning the football side of things for the long term? It's a fascinating read in my opinion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.html

izec

I would hire Rangnick now to take over the majority of football matters and have him set up until the summer a plan and strategy for the future manager and transfers, with Poch in mind as a candidate. Then sack Ole and bring him in after the season. They are both competent and the best we can get in these positions, if they build a chemistry, we could be onto something. They would both join, the project is exciting, as long as they get the freedom they need to succeed.

I dont think there is a top manager out there, so the best bet would be to split up and have someone experienced in restructuring clubs and laying the foundations to lead us on a hopefully successful path. Poch is the best manager we can get to fit us currently. Alongside Rangnick, i dont think we can have a better chance. Ed would obviously be in the background and looking over things, and not the big football planner and decider he currently is. He needs to realise that some people are more qualified and better than him at football side of things in getting a club to the top.

Smores

It's obviously nonsense and yet completely impossible to really conclude.

I'm Ole out and think so many on here are hypocritcs for varying views over the last 12 months but the one thing everyone seems to agree on is that our transfer strategy is the reason we are where we are (mostly).

Moyes inherited a top team but it needed massive rebuild which didn't happen. LvG started but was hit and miss with signings and repeat with Jose and probably Ole. Each has on iteration inherited good and bad signings from their predecessor but we've not solved enough in any iteration to even make up for the initial rebuild needed in my view.

Still we have made progress and this squad is better than any other post Fergie. Get a DoF and an actual promising manager give him 4 signings and it's not far away at all.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Perhaps you're right regarding Ole, but I can't see anyone coming in and doing significantly better. We simply can't coach our way out of some of the issues we have with this squad.
At least some simple decisions could still be made and implemented. Like I don't know, not starting Lingard for a while. Better defending during set pieces.
The team as a whole wouldn't drastically improve I agree with that but still some changes could be made. Nothing justified giving Lingard playing time, nothing justified not man marking VVD during set pieces with Maguire

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I know we're in a bad place, some of the comments in here are borderline insane though. By the way, Klopp is a fantastic coach and all that but he's hardly single handedly responsible for Liverpool's success. Stop making it sound like he is, people need to get fecking rational.
He has been the major catalyst for their turnaround and to suggest otherwise would be sheer idiocy.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's obviously nonsense and yet completely impossible to really conclude.

I'm Ole out and think so many on here are hypocritcs for varying views over the last 12 months but the one thing everyone seems to agree on is that our transfer strategy is the reason we are where we are (mostly).

Moyes inherited a top team but it needed massive rebuild which didn't happen. LvG started but was hit and miss with signings and repeat with Jose and probably Ole. Each has on iteration inherited good and bad signings from their predecessor but we've not solved enough in any iteration to even make up for the initial rebuild needed in my view.

Still we have made progress and this squad is better than any other post Fergie. Get a DoF and an actual promising manager give him 4 signings and it's not far away at all.
There is also our managers inability to genuinely elevate the level of some players, the way Klopp did with Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum. I use Liverpool as an example because pre 2015-16 these players weren't rated as highly and they ended up being crucial members of the team due to the fact that Klopp made them fit into his game plan and they grew from that. That's why I believe that it's not necessarily a good idea to be too supportive of a manager on the transfer market, it put them in the comfortable situation of not having to work on his tactics, coaching and not having to make the best of what he has. It put the club in vicious cycle of spending instead of working on training pitch fundamentals.

TsuWave

It's hardly ridiculous considering how our rivals board have backed their managers to do their stuff. Of course you won't get all the signings but we are at that point where we need some major reinforcement and yes having a net spend of 70m is not that. Either back the manager or just sack him. This whole logic of backing the board is weird.
The notion of a manager being backed unconditionally is so dumb.

montpelier

I'm inclined to think Klopp might not have succeeded here because he didn't want to come here. I think Mourinho might have succeeded here with 100% backing from everyone, probably not possible with his baggage
Klopp seems to have 100% driven the project at LFC and been given the time for it be an evolution rather than a rush. Even then, it's been a quick turnaround.

Moyes, LVG were always out of their depth. It looks possible Ole is, but his attempt looks better. I don't think they do much better at Liverpool.

As I say, Klopp doesn't automatically succeed here by any means. But probably has a better chance.

What I do reckon is that he thought it would go better at Liverpool, based on him taking the job. That is fairly Grim for saying where we are and how we are run, and what conditions we expect Managers to cope with. Underpinned by the crap players and bell end players we have insisted on getting in.

billybee99

But what would a manager do if the board don't make more signings. Have you seen the state of our squad, it is thin as bare bones. Tell me why are we not making any signings when we badly need some new bodies. Do you think Ole would play Lingard and even AP if we had better players brought. People used to make fun of Jose by saying he loves Fellaini, maybe he did love but then maybe he had no other option so had to just stick with him. We are relying on youth players ffs and our manager wants players on loan. We are just big club by our history and name but since sir alex retired we have acted like novices.
Are you kidding? Jose spent hundreds of millions during his time here. Even in the third summer where he was supposedly not supported, he spent a ton including 50 something million on Fred. LVG was greatly supported for 2 summers. He spent out the wazzoo. Ole purchased the most expensive defender in the history of football along with a 50 million fullback. It is a myth that we are not spending or supporting managers; the numbers simply don't back it up.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So the first point made is that we're haggling over a player. Yet we've spent loads over the last 6 years, so making out we're too frugal for Klopp makes no sense.

The second point made is that we got rid of our striker and didn't replace him. Klopp would have come before this. We probably wouldn't have bought that striker in the first place.

The third point made is about going in to this season without a midfield. Again, Klopp would have come before this. He also could have chosen not to do this if he was here.

I'm not reading the fourth point.

If Klopp had come here he'd have had loads to spend. Would we be as good as Liverpool? Maybe not without their transfer committee, but I don't doubt our transfers would have been different, our system would be different and his motivational qualities beneficial.

Foxbatt

When I saw Wijnaldum and Henderson waltzing through our midfield made me so angry. I mean this is not Xavi and Iniesta ffs.

montpelier

So the first point made is that we're haggling over a player. Yet we've spent loads over the last 6 years, so making out we're too frugal for Klopp makes no sense.

The second point made is that we got rid of our striker and didn't replace him. Klopp would have come before this. We probably wouldn't have bought that striker in the first place.

The third point made is about going in to this season without a midfield. Again, Klopp would have come before this. He also could have chosen not to do this if he was here.

I'm not reading the fourth point.

If Klopp had come here he'd have had loads to spend. Would we be as good as Liverpool? Maybe not without their transfer committee, but I don't doubt our transfers would have been different, our system would be different and his motivational qualities beneficial.
I think that's fair. But doesn't explain why he prefers Liverpool.

Less hassle and more control I would guess.

What the feck does this even mean man, are you drunk right now? I literally don't undestand your question.

Personally I think Klopp is a fantastic coach and he did a phenomenal job at Dortmund from an underdog position. I also feel that the individual influence of managers on the results of a football team gets incredibly overrated, and I feel the importance of the individual quality of the players available and other factes at a club than the manager get very underrated - there's also plenty of actual research out there to back up my feelings about that.

My point simply is, Klopp wasn't winning European finals when he had Touré in defense against Sevilla, or Karius in goal against Real Madrid now was he? But with Allison Becker and Van Dijk he did win a final, the impact of their individual quality on Liverpool has clearly been much bigger than say Klopp's tactical instructions before a match.

Now lets look at how Liverpool got Van Dijk and Allison. Did Klopp create them from a 3D printer? Did he personally scout them from some obscure Eastern European league? Were they available for peanuts? No, they were highly rated players that costed ridiculous money, but they were also perfectly scouted by a whole team of people working for Liverpool. How did Liverpool get the money to buy those players? Well for instance, they generated a shitload of extra funds to invest with the (buying and) sale of Coutinho.

Now compare that to United. We were faced with a similar scenario after Pogba openly stated on camera this summer he was open for another challenge. Could've sold him for big money to adress issues in other areas. We didn't though, 70 million net spend two summers in a row baby, and I guess that's the big difference between United and Liverpool in a nutshell.

From the renovation of their stadium to the transfer decisions or hiring coaches to improve throw-ins, everything Liverpool has been doing for the last years has a sensible idea behind it, and they have the best people on every important position in their club, from top to bottom, all working on the same goal, which is to improve the quality of the football on the pitch. United have just had some weird scattergun approach with no bigger goal or long term vision and we're paying the price for that now.

You see anything like this in place at United, people of that calibre planning the football side of things for the long term? It's a fascinating read in my opinion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.html
And yet, they took over in 2010 and fortunes only changed, recruitment only got miles better once Klopp took over.

Klopp is 95% the reason Liverpool are where they are, just as he was at Dortmund and that's why Dortmund haven't done shit since he left.

If Klopp had taken over here when Mourinho did, I'm certain we'd all be banging on about how the club is suddenly really well run again.

Liverpool had a 40,000 seater stadium, with shit restricted views everywhere, building a new stand was a no-brainer for them. That said, I'm not arguing that Liverpool haven't done a much better job behind the scenes than United, they clearly have, but Klopp is always the common denominator and is an absolute bonafide managerial genius.

In short, to claim Klopp couldn't have succeeded here given the backing Mourinho got is absolute codswallop.

There is also our managers inability to genuinely elevate the level of some players, the way Klopp did with Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum. I use Liverpool as an example because pre 2015-16 these players weren't rated as highly and they ended up being crucial members of the team due to the fact that Klopp made them fit into his game plan and they grew from that. That's why I believe that it's not necessarily a good idea to be too supportive of a manager on the transfer market, it put them in the comfortable situation of not having to work on his tactics, coaching and not having to make the best of what he has. It put the club in vicious cycle of spending instead of working on training pitch fundamentals.
And there we have it. Bang on JP.

Our fans have become way to accustomed to letting every single manager off until he has an entire team built by himself.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
What a moronic tweet. So I assume Ole is the best manager on the planet. :lol:. Klopp will no doubt have our team performing at a higher level and his recruitments will shape our team to his vision which led to Liverpool being where they are today. Same way Pochettino will be the savior because of that similar approach.

montpelier

And yet, they took over in 2010 and fortunes only changed, recruitment only got miles better once Klopp took over.

Klopp is 95% the reason Liverpool are where they are, just as he was at Dortmund and that's why Dortmund haven't done shit since he left.

If Klopp had taken over here when Mourinho did, I'm certain we'd all be banging on about how the club is suddenly really well run again.

Liverpool had a 40,000 seater stadium, with shit restricted views everywhere, building a new stand was a no-brainer for them. That said, I'm not arguing that Liverpool haven't done a much better job behind the scenes than United, they clearly have, but Klopp is always the common denominator and is an absolute bonafide managerial genius.

In short, to claim Klopp couldn't have succeeded here given the backing Mourinho got is absolute codswallop.
A much better chance of winning friends and influencing people than Mourinho, one would imagine.

But obvs didn't fancy it, which makes me wonder why and how we operate look bad, for me. Not that we don't know, clearly.

El Zoido

The article is correct, and I’ve been saying the same thing for a while now. It’s depressingly predictable when people go to blame the manager yet again. We need someone like Klopp to come in and fail so the fans finally start understanding where the problems lie. It’ll never happen because any manager worth their salt is smart enough to avoid this job. That’s why we end up with managers who are past it and managers who are fortunate to be in the role.

I'm inclined to think Klopp might not have succeeded here because he didn't want to come here.
He didn't want to come because he was under contract at Dortmund. I hate that it's made out the way that it is now. Klopp has never walked out mid contract and is on record saying he never will, United in fairness tried everything to get him to go against that yet it's somehow used as another stick to beat them with.

Liverpool got him because he was jobless, no other top team was in need of a manager and he'd just come off his worst season ever.

Had United asked when he was jobless, before Rodgers was sacked, the answer would've been different I'm sure. But we were in the middle of an LVG rebuild which had started well enough getting us back into the CL. The timing was sadly all wrong for us and things worked out perfectly for the scousers.

sp_107

Every successful movie comes with a right blend of good script, direction, music, actors and few other things...Like that every successful tittle winning team must have right recruiting team, Finances, Manager, Medical team and Players with right attitude.

If you look at Liverpool, they excelled in all these areas in last 6 years (recently they upgraded their head of medical team with a top guy from Arsenal) means they are not leaving any screw unturned.

We at UTD, mostly talk about our manager's faults or Ed's shortfall (Agree that these 2 are our main worries) but If we want to become great again then we should focus on all areas I believe starting with right recruiting team.

The article is correct, and I’ve been saying the same thing for a while now. It’s depressingly predictable when people go to blame the manager yet again. We need someone like Klopp to come in and fail so the fans finally start understanding where the problems lie. It’ll never happen because any manager worth their salt is smart enough to avoid this job. That’s why we end up with managers who are past it and managers who are fortunate to be in the role.
You think Jörgen Klopp would've failed here if given the money for signings and wages Mourinho was. hahahah

Lukaku £76m, Pogba £89m, Zlatan (massive wage), Sanchez (insane wage), Fred £50m, Lindelöf, Bailly, Mkhitaryan, Matic! For 2.5 years Mourinho was given everything his heart wished for, not many managers have ever been backed to that degree at any club.

Hawks2008

Klopp would have done better with the squad Ole inherited, the team we had when Mourinho was sacked was no worse (if not better) than what he walked into at Liverpool and I guarantee he would have done better with the time and resources that have been afforded to Ole.

Ole dismantled a team that finished 2nd, we weren't perfect but we were a good team and we have fallen so far from even that level.

I think that's fair. But doesn't explain why he prefers Liverpool.
A much better chance of winning friends and influencing people than Mourinho, one would imagine.

But obvs didn't fancy it, which makes me wonder why and how we operate look bad, for me. Not that we don't know, clearly.

He didn't have the choice of United when he was jobless you know @montpelier ?

At that point he had one big job offer: Liverpool.

United tried to make him break his Dortmund contract and bring him instead of LVG, but Klopp doesn't break contracts, never has and is on record saying he never will.

So no, he didn't prefer Liverpool, he took the Liverpool job because he was jobless and United, Chelsea, City, Real all had new managers and weren't in for him at the point where he was available.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)

95% of Liverpool's success is down to Klopp? Ninety-five? I don't know what to say to that really.

Lee565

This is bs, Mourinho achieved second place two seasons back and if conte had taken over instead of Solskjear we would be in a far, far better position as he wouldnt have had to do a rebuild as he has shown he liked a lot of the players we already had to fit how he likes to play, hence why he has tried to buy half of our players for an inter team competing for the serie a title for the first time in a long time.

Thiagoal

Klopp who has spent less than what United has in the same time would fail here. Makes total sense.
The ridiculous narrative that Ed is all to blame is pathetic in my view! Yes he may have been naive at times but we’ve spent more than almost every club in the world since SAF retired on transfer fees and wages!

The managers we’ve had have massively under performed relative to the resources they’ve had available to them! They’ve signed so much dross for a lot of money!

Finally I feel the correct decisions are being made...but it’ll take time!

OverratedOpinion

Nah, Klopp with a couple of good transfer windows would win the league with us. I hate to say it but he is a bloody spectacular manager.