Votes: 141 18.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
This guy is paid £1m a year by Sky. Let that sink in. £1m. If he can’t behave himself in public he deserves nothing less than the sack.
Again, why does his salary matter in all this? Should you get a lesser punishment because you earn less?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Amazed he wasn't sacked, no excuse for that reaction imo, especially as he can clearly see there is a young girl in the car.
Sky definitely have ground to sack him and would have done that already if he isn't their best pundit and such valuable asset. They will probably try to see if things will calm down and keep him for those reasons imo. Not judging if that's right or wrong, but that's how I see it.

Maybe I'm soft but I felt sorry for Carragher watching him being grilled in that Interview
Aye, that, along with Sky fully condemn such behaviour, was the purpose of the Interview.

pascell

Eh...I'm not sure if that's the case. He's an excellent pundit, but I've never tuned into a matchday specifically to see him and I doubt many people do. If there's a match that's on I want to see I'm not going to be deterred from watching it specifically because it's Jamie Redknapp and Souness on instead of Carragher, and similarly if there's a match on I'm not arsed about I'm not going to go out my way to watch it for his analysis. Especially when Sky could probably get him a pundit who's equally as good if they wish to. I'm not completely sure they'll sack him but they could easily afford to.
Fair enough that's your personal opinion, I'm sure there's a lot of Liverpool and neutral fans that enjoy tuning in to see what he has to say.

One United fan rang Talksport this morning and said all United fans would cancel their Skysports subscription if he wasn't sacked. Other United fans who rang in said he did a bad thing, but were more angry with the dad and the goading celebrity thing and selling it to newspapers.
That's one United fan, I'm sure there's plenty that enjoy his analysis and tune in to MNF specially to see what he has to say.

He received quite a lot of praise on here for his opinion on the United/Liverpool game, whereas people on here comment saying they can't listen to Neville any more.

I'm also guessing here that Sky have quite a big following from Liverpool fans, as they have a lot of ex Liverpool players as pundits.

redflair

To the people saying Carragher wasn't at work, are you sure? He was leaving the ground so I expect he would have had some tidy expenses to trouser off Sky as he headed back down the M62 (obviously not now).

But there's a wider point here. Not being able to take a 2-1 goading as one of Sky's premier frontmen shows a distressing hollowness of character that is actually quite alarming for someone who is supposedly quite astute as a pundit.

Would a sports hack be involved in a similar incident? Maybe, we know the scribe army has a lot of form - but they generally learn to have a bit more tact and thick-skinned credentials when confronted with something like this.

It's quite ironic that Carragher - who spent most of his time defending United after the win against Liverpool - was actually waiting to blow a gasket and smash anything United-related (like he did with Nani) off the park.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Fair enough that's your personal opinion, I'm sure there's a lot of Liverpool and neutral fans that enjoy tuning in to see what he has to say.
I'm sure they do, but I very much doubt anyone will deliberately stop watching because he's no longer on. Most people ultimately tune in to watch the football; if Sky Sports is the only place you can access a United-City game then no one's going to stop watching because Jamie Carragher isn't on.

Fully Fledged

That’s fair enough. Up until today, myself included many people were unaware of this kind of history.
I was as well. I was shocked that he would do something like this but he seems to have a history and hasn't learned for his previous altercations.
I think that he needs to acknowledge he has a problem and get counselling for it. If he did this then I wouldn't want him sacked because people going through counselling need the support a big organisation can offer. That's the only situation that he should avoid the sack though IMHO.

Rory 7

Again, why does his salary matter in all this? Should you get a lesser punishment because you earn less?
The salary he earns is the price of fame. I’ve no doubt Sky’s lawyers have brand reputation built into his contract. He’s sullied their brand he’ll be sacked. And you’re right, you shouldn’t get a lesser punishment because you earn less. I bet if you check most big corporates terms of employment even the entry level pay grades are likely to be sacked if they damage the corporate brand. Carragher has no comeback IMO.

pascell

I'm sure they do, but I very much doubt anyone will deliberately stop watching because he's no longer on. Most people ultimately tune in to watch the football; if Sky Sports is the only place you can access a United-City game then no one's going to stop watching because Jamie Carragher isn't on.
I wouldn't put it past Liverpool fans, starting a boycott as one of their own got the boot.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I can't help but chuckle at this. I keep asking myself why anyone would jeopardise their future by doing this? :lol:

He had to have seen he was being filmed, no? If he didn't know he was being filmed, then he's only apologising because he's been caught with his pants around his ankles isn't he? In which case, how many times has he done it before? Seemed like he knew exactly how to handle people goading him in the car if you ask me.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Am I the only laughing at the bit where he goes 'okay then, la' just before he spits? As if he is about to transform into full on scouse :lol:

Kostur

海尔的老板
Idiotic spitting aside, what is it with people filming other people, especially celebrities, and then talking shit to them? Genuinely what the feck is wrong with people.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I was as well. I was shocked that he would do something like this but he seems to have a history and hasn't learned for his previous altercations.
I think that he needs to acknowledge he has a problem and get counselling for it. If he did this then I wouldn't want him sacked because people going through counselling need the support a big organisation can offer. That's the only situation that he should avoid the sack though IMHO.
That is a good point as it shows the general public that you are able to get help if you have issues. Would be a good thing if that were to happen IMO.

Castia

Stupid thing to do but i like him as a pundit :nervous:

No doubt he's a scouse fecker but I like the back and forth he and Neville have on MNF.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I wouldn't put it past Liverpool fans, starting a boycott as one of their own got the boot.
I doubt that'll happen, we've seen Liverpool fans saying they thought it was outrageous in this thread and I imagine most will recognise it was a scummy thing to do.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I'd hope the driver Is found, and banned from driving for a very very long time.

Carragher has said he did now know there was a child in the car, he was reacting to the constant abuse being hurled at him. Is that wrong? Yes. Is it a sackable offence? No (but it may be as the media circus will deem it so)

What a day in age we live in for Carra is being hounded out for reacting to a person who uses his mobile phone to film while driving with his child in the car. The persons aim was to hurl as much abuse as carra until he reacted. The idiocy from this person is beyond comprehension for me.
Now let's not exaggerate things - the driver only told him 2-1 / 2-1 that's all.

Sigma

I don't really think this warrants a sacking to be honest. Players don't get sacked when they spit on other players, let alone big first-team players (which is what in effect Carragher is to sky). I think he is a great pundit so I hope he doesn't go. What he did was disgusting and disgraceful, but I think a suspension and a fine/compensation is probably sufficient.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I don't want him to be sacked just so he has to face all the jokes from Neville and Co when he turns up for work again. Neville won't mention it tonight and won't ever mention it if Carragher is sacked.

I don't care at all about justice, I just want the jokes!

red forever

If Sky don't sack him then it is double standards and a whole lot more. Keys and Gray were sacked for having a bit of harmless light hearted banter between to mates which millions of people have. Carragher spat at a 14 year old girl, something that no right minded person would do and is actual a criminal offence.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If Sky don't sack him then it is double standards and a whole lot more. Keys and Gray were sacked for having a bit of harmless light hearted banter between to mates which millions of people have. Carragher spat at a 14 year old girl, something that no right minded person would do and is actual a criminal offence.
Well, that's not at all why they were sacked.

Fully Fledged

The idea the he flobbed on him just because of "2-1, 2-1" is so ridiculous, I can't wrap my head around it. There has to be more to it. Maybe i'm giving him too much credit.
2 more cases of road rage before this and he doesn't seem to be learning his lesson from his 2 previous cautions. I give him no credit at the moment.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The idea the he flobbed on him just because of "2-1, 2-1" is so ridiculous, I can't wrap my head around it. There has to be more to it. Maybe i'm giving him too much credit.
Carra claims that the guy approached and harassed him 3 times leading up to "spitgate" and he finally lost it on the 4th occasion. Believe whatever you like I guess.

Pace Abuser

Sky wanted rid of the former two and milked any excuse they could find. Their offending comments were published months after they had been exchanged when Sky deemed them disposable.
It can hardly be used as legal precedent.

Kag

It's very poor behaviour but I quite like Carragher. I'm not too big on public takedowns and Carragher has been made to look silly enough without losing his job. But that's just my opinion.

I'd like to think the bloke recording the video while on the motorway is rightfully punished, mind you. Unlike spitting, which is often inflated far above and beyond what it is by the I'd rather get punched (you wouldn't) nuggets, driving like a dickhead kills people.

That also applies to Carragher. His biggest crime is taking his eyes of the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.