• Buy a my little pony for the girl

Votes: 141 18.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Police caution, public humiliation, professional bollocking/warning and constant reminders of what a tosser he is should be enough in my opinion. It's a shameful moment but it shouldn't really cost him his career.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
How are people saying where he aimed? He really built up some volume on that and just fired indiscriminately from the looks of things. Basically lost his head and spit in the general direction.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Put it this way, I worship the ground Eric Cantona walks on, I'd willingly lose my anal virginity to him and bare his children should he request as much, but if I found out he pulled a stund like this I'd disassociate myself with him, or any United player for that matter.

Spitting at someone is absolute filth.
I don’t think Eric is the best example considering his previous indiscretion.

Rory 7

In what sort of parallel universe do those of you arguing he shouldn’t be sacked live? The damage to the SkySports brand alone is a firing offence. I’m late to this news too as I’ve been travelling since Saturday, not really plugged into news. I genuinely can’t believe he was/is that thick.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Do you think you would keep yoir Job if you spat at someone at work?

Yes, he wasnt at work, but he is a public figure, and is accountable to different standards to the rest of us.
I honestly don’t know, I don’t think I’d get fired but not sure.

I think Sky will only fire him if they feel it will negatively impact their views or revenue, maybe the perception of them as well. Otherwise, they probably don’t give a toss and they also know he’s one of their most valuable assets. The fact they’ve already interviewed him to let him apologise (they did, I think?) probably implies they won’t fire him (right away), I guess.

fezzerUTD

Someone on Talksport, who's from Merseyside, said they'd read in the Liverpool Echo that he's been done on two separate occasions for road rage. Man's got issues I suppose.
Talksport (unless i missed it) hasnt said a word on the utd pool game, ive been waiting all day for it see what they say and hardly out, maybe few words on rashford.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
In what sort of parallel universe do those of you arguing he shouldn’t be sacked live? The damage to the SkySports brand alone is a firing offence. I’m late to this news too as I’ve been travelling since Saturday, not really plugged into news. I genuinely can’t believe he was/is that thick.
The one where everyone and his dog basically forgets about it after a week and moves on to the next target of ire.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I'd probably have sworn (feck off ya' cnut) in the heat the moment but I don't think spitting would ever cross my mind.
Exactly, all this talk of suspension, mobile phones, the wind, who’s more wrong and the rest of it. People seem to be missing the point that this shows exactly what kind of person he is and it’s not very nice, spitting would never cross my and hopefully mosts mind in any situation never mind the one he found himself in.

It will be uneasy watching him for a while if he remains on tv I’m sure.

Reactions: SteveJ

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I still find it weird that we're discussing his potential sacking over a potential assault charge.

Giggs86

Keys and Grey had a history of saying things like that. Not comparable.
And how do we know that Jamie doesn't have a history of being a scum?

How many people did he spit on that didn't have their cameras to record it?
If that was his reaction to a simple "2-1" banter when he wasn't even playing, what do you think his reaction was with much heavier insults from oppo fans while he was still playing?

Maybe that spit was his Kodak moment but to me it just shows that it wasn't a one time thing.

stepic

It was gross but it’s not a sackable offence. I wouldn’t want him sacked anyway, him and Neville work well together.

montpelier

I think you’re misunderstanding me. I’m simply taking exception to people insinuating that he deliberately spat at the young girl. Which is clearly not the case.

How is it unreasonable of me to suggest that based on what we have seen. He looks directly at the guy who is driving and spits at him. This narrative that “He spat at a 14 year old girl” is not correct because to me that implies intent.

People seem to be bypassing this. Spitting at people is disgusting of course I’m not defending that.
Well... he knew she was there, and he hit her with it (some of it).

That's quite close to spitting 'at' her - even if he was trying to bend it over & around the passenger seat occupant.

Berbaclass

And how do we know that Jamie doesn't have a history of being a scum?

How many people did he spit on that didn't have their cameras to record it?
If that was his reaction to a simple "2-1" banter when he wasn't even playing, what do you think his reaction was with much heavier insults from oppo fans while he was still playing?

Maybe that spit was his Kodak moment but to me it just shows that it wasn't a one time thing.
I get your point but we’re only discussing this based on what we already know, it’s impossible to argue about something that could potentially have happened.

AFAIK Keys and Grey had been behaving in that manner with multiple women over a decent period of time and it came back to bite them obviously.

Carragher has little if no history of this kind of behaviour. So personally I don’t think the two are comparable incidents.

Berbaclass

Well... he knew she was there, and he hit her with it (some of it).

That's quite close to spitting 'at' her - even if he was trying to bend it over & around the passenger seat occupant.
We don’t know that for sure though. If that was the case then fair enough it’s indefensible.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Exactly, all this talk of suspension, mobile phones, the wind, who’s more wrong and the rest of it. People seem to be missing the point that this shows exactly what kind of person he is and it’s not very nice, spitting would never cross my and hopefully mosts mind in any situation never mind the one he found himself in.

It will be uneasy watching him for a while if he remains on tv I’m sure.
I wish you comfort through this difficult time.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Maybe I'm soft but I felt sorry for Carragher watching him being grilled in that Interview

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I wish you comfort through this difficult time.
Thanks for your concern. Those slow mo images of him throwing out that ungodly amount of spit is going to haunt me for some time tbh

agreed - some people need to grow a bloody set
I totally agree with you! I’ve seen the amount of sensitivity in this thread wtr to the horrific danger and life threatening position this bloke put his daughter in saying 2-1 to Jamie fecking caragher.

I stand by my point the image of him slow more spitting half the Pacific in that video will lead to uneasy watching for a while.

Fully Fledged

Conveniently doesn’t give details on what actually happened leading up to the confrontation though does it. Like it says the feud goes way back and anything could have happened between them to cause a confrontation.
He admitted guilt and took a caution for Common assault. As some one has said below he has 2 previous cases for road rage one of which is probably the one I linked. This is not a one off incident and he probably says that he is sorry after each incident.

pauldyson1uk

It was gross but it’s not a sackable offence. I wouldn’t want him sacked anyway, him and Neville work well together.
Totally disagree with you, here is never ever an excuse for spitting and lets be honest there was nothing in it really , calling and saying 2-1 lad is not spit provoking, he should have just wound his window up and speed off, but the dad is wrong for using is phone to record it, hopefully he gets a knock on his door followed by a £200 fine and 6 points on his licence, he put his life, his daughters life and other road users in danger.

montpelier

We don’t know that for sure though. If that was the case then fair enough it’s indefensible.
He 99.99 % must know that she's there, Berbs. No one has said that he was aiming at her. Or I suspect nearly everyone would say he should go.

The punishment difficulty, for me, is that it feels a bit binary - either he goes (harsh?) or he just 'seems' to carry on like nothing has happened.

But most employees would be sacked I think for bringing the company name into disrepute. And how good or bad he is at the punditry shouldn't come into it really.

DaftDad & quite sensible sounding daughter don't seem super-traumatized by it, which might just have saved him, I dunno.

Berbaclass

He admitted guilt and took a caution for Common assault. As some one has said below he has 2 previous cases for road rage one of which is probably the one I linked. This is not a one off incident and he probably says that he is sorry after each incident.
That’s fair enough. Up until today, myself included many people were unaware of this kind of history.

arthurka

Fine - Stone him then.....

do it on a Saturday afternoon and sell the TV rights.
Thats not what I said at all but acting like its Ok because the other guy is a twat is a stretch .. In no way did I say he deserved to be taken out.. He made a bad mistake and should suffer a bit.. But throwing him out would be a bit OTT, I am with GNev there ..

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
That doesn’t make it right. Sky will sack him. How can he be a credible brand ambassador? He has to be sacked.
Ugly as it is from a moral perspective I still don't think it's bad enough for the ruination of a career.

From a brand perspective I think he's valuable enough for them to ride out a couple of weeks of outrage - maybe not, but I think so. I reckon they'll wheel him out to get castigated and he'll be depicted as deeply ashamed and remorseful for while (which he may well be). He'll be shown as trying to reform his behaviour (as he should) - attending anger management sessions , maybe donating dosh to the girls charity of choice - and kept off air until it inevitably blows over.

Rory 7

This guy is paid £1m a year by Sky. Let that sink in. £1m. If he can’t behave himself in public he deserves nothing less than the sack.

Rory 7

Ugly as it is from a moral perspective I still don't think it's bad enough for the ruination of a career.

From a brand perspective I think he's valuable enough for them to ride out a couple of weeks of outrage - maybe not, but I think so. I reckon they'll wheel him out to get castigated and he'll be depicted as deeply ashamed and remorseful for while (which he may well be). He'll be shown as trying to reform his behaviour (as he should) - attending anger management sessions , maybe donating dosh to the girls charity of choice - and kept off air until it inevitably blows over.
He’s a busted flush as a brand ambassador for Sky. They’ll sack him.

Berbaclass

He 99.99 % must know that she's there, Berbs. No one has said that he was aiming at her. Or I suspect nearly everyone would say he should go.

The punishment difficulty, for me, is that it feels a bit binary - either he goes (harsh?) or he just 'seems' to carry on like nothing has happened.

But most employees would be sacked I think for bringing the company name into disrepute. And how good or bad he is at the punditry shouldn't come into it really.

DaftDad & quite sensible sounding daughter don't seem super-traumatized by it, which might just have saved him, I dunno.
I think when people use the phrase “he spat in her face” it implies that he meant to do it. That’s really the only thing that I take exception to in this whole thing. I just don’t think he meant to do that. Doesn’t detract from the disgusting nature of the incident though.

I think being embarrassed on national TV is enough of a punishment though. Losing his job just seems too severe when you look at someone like Kirsty Gallacher who got done for drink driving with her kids in the car and still kept her job. That to me is worse and Sky pretty much set the precedent with that incident. I think without that he might have been sacked.

On the other point about the father and daughter. I don't think he would have wanted to push too much as he was using his phone while driving which is obviously not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.