January Transfer Window

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Both Macari and Atkinson are saying that we should get 1-2 players in the January window

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why do people write "1-2" instead of "1 or 2"? Is there a chance of signing 1.3764 players this window?

Also, Moyes needs to bring someone in. He needs to get 4th, and he doesn't look competent at getting anything out of the current squad.

Bestie07

Both Macari and Atkinson are saying that we should get 1-2 players in the January window
Are they saying like they know we'll be signing a player or two or they think we should sign a few players because every sane person in the world is saying that we should get a few players in January, we should have as soon as the window opened. We haven't though.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Red Nev confirmed we tried to sign Cesc and Baines in the summer. Woe to me...

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I think it's time to start panic buying.

The club obviously doesn't agree; almost makes you wonder if anyone at the club realises what's going on: we're 7th in the league and have been there most of the season, and we deserve to be there. We're a few months away from being relegated from Champions League qualification and now with less than two weeks left in the window there's no sign of the club doing anything about it. What would have to happen for the club to "panic"? :lol:

.Phil1968

To be honest after the summer transfer fiasco I thought we'd have had a couple of players lined up to sign at the start of this window.If we end up with no signings at all in January it will be mind boggling.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
He was asked about about transfers and he gave a vague answer. Noone's coming in this month. I doubt there is money to spend. I will never believe that the Glazers will sanction a £200 mill spending spree. I don't expect more than 2 signings in the summer.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Are they saying like they know we'll be signing a player or two or they think we should sign a few players because every sane person in the world is saying that we should get a few players in January, we should have as soon as the window opened. We haven't though.

They are saying that we should sign players.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
He was asked about about transfers and he gave a vague answer. Noone's coming in this month. I doubt there is money to spend. I will never believe that the Glazers will sanction a £200 mill spending spree. I don't expect more than 2 signings in the summer.
£200m? We surely couldn't spend that much in one year and comply with Financial Fair Play.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If there really is no money to spend, that just makes the fellaini signing so much worse. City or Chelsea can do with a £30m flop, not united. If that was all we had, why didn't we fecking save it for a player with actual skill, not somebody who is no better then a squad player?

Baxter

The players aren't available etc etc. The club need to make them available. Even if we pay over the odds, if we get the quality we should be able to reach fourth. If we have to pay £35-40m for a Vidal or whatever it's surely better doing that rather than finishing 5th or 6th and losing the Champions League money.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm starting to wonder if the funds are being withdrawn and we're going to be keeping it ready for the next manager if I'm being honest. There's no point giving a manager on borrowed time money to bring his own players in if you're then going to feck him off in the Summer anyway.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It's a pipedream, lads. Forget it. If we sign anyone, it's going to be somebody who doesn't really solve the midfield crisis we find ourselves in, i.e. a left-back.

The most worrying thing, for me, is the fact that Moyes and United don't seem to have a concrete idea of who exactly we're in the market for. He's either, a) setting the bar too high in terms of the player who'll improve us (which is ridiculous considering the current lot have just lost four of the last five games), or b) over-exaggerating the talent we have in our squad at present (again, which is ridiculous considering the current lot have just lost four of the last five games).

Scary stuff.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The players aren't available etc etc. The club need to make them available. Even if we pay over the odds, if we get the quality we should be able to reach fourth. If we have to pay £35-40m for a Vidal or whatever it's surely better doing that rather than finishing 5th or 6th and losing the Champions League money.

Any player is available. You just have to stump the cash up. £40-£50m would get us any of the midfielders out there we've been linked with. Either the Glazers will not do that or Woodward is a complete buffoon who has no idea of modern valuations.

MJJ

Moyes really deserves the sack if he signs him, signing cardiff's winger wont solve any problems for us. Rather play zaha. :D

Varun

Staff
I'm starting to wonder if the funds are being withdrawn and we're going to be keeping it ready for the next manager if I'm being honest. There's no point giving a manager on borrowed time money to bring his own players in if you're then going to feck him off in the Summer anyway.

I'd rather we do that and am being completely serious. If Moyes fecks up and doesnt get us to a top 4 spot, get a top manager in and give him the cash to spend.

Baxter

Any player is available. You just have to stump the cash up. £40-£50m would get us any of the midfielders out there we've been linked with. Either the Glazers will not do that or Woodward is a complete buffoon who has no idea of modern valuations.

Exactly. Other clubs have had no where near the problems signing the players they've went after. As you said, either the money isn't there or those in charge are clueless.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd rather we do that and am being completely serious. If Moyes fecks up and doesnt get us to a top 4 spot, get a top manager in and give him the cash to spend.

As would I. We can't really afford to spend 100m on players only to then employ a new manager who doesn't rate half of them.

kps88

there have been stories in the media about Moyes having between 150-200 to spend. I think these stories are just PR to calm the fans.

These stories have been popping up every transfer window since we sold Ronaldo.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
Real Madrid, City and PSG ring a bell? Add Monaco to that.
they do but we don't have the same spending habits as them. The last time we spent big in 1 window was when we bought Nani, Hargreaves and Anderson. The moment we replaced Ronaldo with Obertan, Owen and Valencia I knew we would never go on a spending spree. Juve in contrast used the Zidane money on Cannavaro, Buffon, Nedved, Thuram.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
they do but we don't have the same spending habits as them. The last time we spent big in 1 window was when we bought Nani, Hargreaves and Anderson. The moment we replaced Ronaldo with Obertan, Owen and Valencia I knew we would never go on a spending spree. Juve in contrast used the Zidane money on Cannavaro, Buffon, Nedved, Thuram.

We've never really needed massive spending spree year after year under Fergie. All he wanted was a bit of tweaking here and there, and that year you pointed out with Nani and co was that type of year. Granted we should have replaced Ronaldo with another world class player that year, but instead got Valencia who turned out to be a brilliant provider in his first couple of seasons, but would never come close. We need a big spend, that much is clear. Whether we should do it under this manager or find a new one to allow him to decide who is best is another matter. But £100 million should be spent to find top players like Real Madrid manage to do year after year.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
£200m? We surely couldn't spend that much in one year and comply with Financial Fair Play.

Of all the teams in the world, we are one of a very small handful that could balance the books for that type of spending. If we did spend that much in one window, we'd be in a position where we could be frugal for the next 2 or 3 years thanks to our young squad and offset the outlay over that time period while the squad improves with age.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Of all the teams in the world, we are one of a very small handful that could balance the books for that type of spending. If we did spend that much in one window, we'd be in a position where we could be frugal for the next 2 or 3 years thanks to our young squad and offset the outlay over that time period while the squad improves with age.
I don't doubt the money's available either, it's more they want to be very careful and have the perfect player and at the perfect time... I suppose maybe sometimes you have to take risks..

Bestie07

We've never really needed massive spending spree year after year under Fergie. All he wanted was a bit of tweaking here and there, and that year you pointed out with Nani and co was that type of year. Granted we should have replaced Ronaldo with another world class player that year, but instead got Valencia who turned out to be a brilliant provider in his first couple of seasons, but would never come close. We need a big spend, that much is clear. Whether we should do it under this manager or find a new one to allow him to decide who is best is another matter. But £100 million should be spent to find top players like Real Madrid manage to do year after year.
We needed to spend a bit after getting our asses handed to us by Barcelona and losing both Tevez and Ronaldo if our ambition had been to become the best team in Europe at that time. It wasn't. Instead of trying to catch Barcelona, SAF started talking about "value" and waiting for Barcelona's "cycle" to end, both of which were so unlike him. If you look at that period now with us reaching a Champions League final and winning a couple of leagues it looks good, but I think it could have been even better had we invested the money properly.

kps88

Maybe I'm being naive but I still think the money is available. We just messed up last summer due to a badly handled transition and no ones willing to deal in January. I'm certain we'll spend more than usual in the summer.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
To be honest after the summer transfer fiasco I thought we'd have had a couple of players lined up to sign at the start of this window.If we end up with no signings at all in January it will be mind boggling.
That's what is puzzling me, the scouting should have already been done and then it is just down to negotiations. The fact he is scouting players half way through a window is strange.

kps88

That's what is puzzling me, the scouting should have already been done and then it is just down to negotiations. The fact he is scouting players half way through a window is strange.

He's already hinted that he was scouting for the summer. There's not much you can do when teams don't want to do business in January.