Jason Wilcox - New technical director

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
What's supposed to be going on with Andy O'Boyle, is he out with Murtough?

Yakuza_devils

or maybe he knows exactly what Sancho's attitude is and will do his best to push him out

I really doubt it as Sancho has worked with him for a long time and all the reports indicating that he likes Sancho and they have good working relationship.

Wilcox is good in developing young players. A case in point, everyone had given up on Cole Palmer at City but Wilcox persisted.

I still think that there is a slight possibility that Sancho may get back to his best working under Wilcox again.

MaT23

I really doubt it as Sancho has worked with him for a long time and all the reports indicating that he likes Sancho and they have good working relationship.

Wilcox is good in developing young players. A case in point, everyone had given up on Cole Palmer at City but Wilcox persisted.

I still think that there is a slight possibility that Sancho may get back to his best working under Wilcox again.
Is he going to be our new manager.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

To do that they will need to ditch the manager.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Sancho had disciplinary issues with Dortmund and United. At united he made the club look silly, hurting the brand in the process. On top of that according to Foster who worked with Ashworth, the guy hates aholes (his words) and will remove those no matter how talented they are

Would our new technical director stick his neck for such a guy?

Last edited:

Drainy

Sancho had disciplinary issues with Dortmund and United. At united he made the club look silly, hurting the brand in the process. He also left City on a free which would have probably pissed the money people off :cough: Berrada :cough:. On top of that according to Foster who worked with Ashworth, the guy hates aholes (his words) and will remove those no matter how talented they are

Would our new technical director stick his neck for such a guy?
Didn't leave city for free

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Does a Technical Director get involved in coaching? Ive never really understood the role, like Director of Football.

AndySmith1990

Does a Technical Director get involved in coaching? Ive never really understood the role, like Director of Football.
Don't think most of us fully understand those roles. But essentially it all equates to a better structure, which in turn enables Ten Hag to be better at coaching and tactics. Everyone's a winner

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Definitely forced his way out. After not being taken on tour, if I remember correctly.
I can't see how Wilcox would stick his neck to such a person. He would probably have to go against most people old admin and new. What can happen is that united would let Wilcox help in Sancho's management if we are not able to sell him off

croadyman

I can't see how Wilcox would stick his neck to such a person. He would probably have to go against most people old admin and new. What can happen is that united would let Wilcox help in Sancho's management if we are not able to sell him off
Yeah only way Sancho would ever play for Utd again is if Erik gets sacked in the summer

didz

Both roles are different at different clubs which makes it all a bit murky. But no, technical directors are almost never involved in coaching.

Here's some of a job listing from LAFC, who are currently looking for a technical director:

POSITION SUMMARY
The Technical Director is responsible for the overall management and strategic direction of Soccer Operations. This role oversees the Club’s soccer operations including player recruitment, coach development, performance analysis, sport science and strategic planning.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Work closely with General Manager and technical staff evaluating LAFC matches and individual players.
Oversee coach and player development across all LAFC teams (e.g. First team, Second team, Academy) through regular feedback and evaluation.
Maintain oversight of staffing structure and ensure efficient and effective operations across all departments by establishing staff communication and collaboration opportunities.
Manage scouting department, operations, and budget.
Aid in player transfers, recruitment, and negotiations.
Ensure LAFC game model, playing philosophy, and curriculum are aligned and implemented across all teams.
Such other duties and services as may reasonably be assigned that are consistent with the role.

Drainy

I don't think so either. The only way Sancho plays for us again is if ETH goes and the practical reality of how painful financially the hit to get rid of him, along with other squad replenishment/ balancing issues result in us being stuck with each other

Ekeke

I think ETH stays 1 more season, or half of it then we get rid, meanwhile Sancho is out on loan as we wont be able to get close to our money back on him. Then when the new manager comes in the new relationship corrects itself

The reality is getting rid of ETH loses the club less money and he hasnt done well enough for that to be overlooked.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Both roles are different at different clubs which makes it all a bit murky. But no, technical directors are almost never involved in coaching.

Here's some of a job listing from LAFC, who are currently looking for a technical director:

POSITION SUMMARY
The Technical Director is responsible for the overall management and strategic direction of Soccer Operations. This role oversees the Club’s soccer operations including player recruitment, coach development, performance analysis, sport science and strategic planning.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Work closely with General Manager and technical staff evaluating LAFC matches and individual players.
Oversee coach and player development across all LAFC teams (e.g. First team, Second team, Academy) through regular feedback and evaluation.
Maintain oversight of staffing structure and ensure efficient and effective operations across all departments by establishing staff communication and collaboration opportunities.
Manage scouting department, operations, and budget.
Aid in player transfers, recruitment, and negotiations.
Ensure LAFC game model, playing philosophy, and curriculum are aligned and implemented across all teams.
Such other duties and services as may reasonably be assigned that are consistent with the role.
Thanks for the information, still murky as you say, and I can understand how it changes from club to club based on the LAFC summary.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Could someone enlighten me as to why he’s highly rated? What’s he done that can make me excited about this news? Other than just hopelessly believe he can help turn us around I mean.
to be honest it’s just such a relief after years and years of internal appointments and jobs for the boys culture that we are finally getting new voices within the club

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Or Sancho apologises publicly.
Way too late for that.

Wilcox judo skills sound interesting, though. Maybe he can Tsuri-goshi some of hour arrogant players into some sense :D

OrcaFat

Sancho needs to move. Taking him back on his terms would be ludicrous. Regardless of his ability, his attitude has been poor. He could show that he is improving his attitude by requesting the privilege of returning on our terms.

pascell

Sancho needs to move. Taking him back on his terms would be ludicrous. Regardless of his ability, his attitude has been poor. He could show that he is improving his attitude by requesting the privilege of returning on our terms.
I agree, needs selling as soon as the summer transfer window opens. Even when he played, his performances were terribly inconsistent and he barely ever delivered anything over a 6/10.

Matriac

Cant see a bunch of kids even knowing who he played for. Im 35 and id probably name 20 Blackburn Rovers players before him.
It's probably different when you talk and interact on a regular basis. He doesn't need to have been famous to get respect from the younger players if he can talk about his experiences at different stages of his career, what he did and how he was helped, how he and the other backroom staff at United can help them.

You often trust the word of someone who's been in the trenches more than someone who's experience is purely theoretical. He played regularly as a senior player in the Premier League, which is more than what most of the academy players can hope to achieve.

Similar to how in IT companies the better leaders/project managers are often those who used to be a developer/programmer themselves before being elevated to leadership.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Long term, I don't think anyone outside of the club really knows, but in short term at least both Ducker and Romano claim that he is expected to have input on recruitment.
Werid that’s not really the job of a technical director it’s meant to be overseeing training methodologies. But also people were saying fletcher would have input when he was appointed to that role (at least in name) and it doesn’t seem like he did (though who knows).
But then on the flip side who the hell Is going to handle our recruitment this summer at this stage?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Cant see a bunch of kids even knowing who he played for. Im 35 and id probably name 20 Blackburn Rovers players before him.
You'll know he played regardless, e.g. that he's a former player. They'd listen to him as an authority figure and that's it I'm sure.

You don't need to be coached by say Wayne Rooney to get respect, just because of his playing ability doesn't make him a great coach.

I just hope all the appointments work out.

Lemoor

Werid that’s not really the job of a technical director it’s meant to be overseeing training methodologies. But also people were saying fletcher would have input when he was appointed to that role (at least in name) and it doesn’t seem like he did (though who knows).
But then on the flip side who the hell Is going to handle our recruitment this summer at this stage?
In the end, technical director is a corporate title, not a heavily regulated job with precise set of responsibilities. There is a convention among media and fans about what 'technical director' should do, but I have never seen any attempt to actually check how many clubs adhere to that convention. I wouldn't be surprised (I doubt we'll ever be able to verify) if a ton of clubs deviated from this. People inside the club need to know what they are supposed to do, sports journalists and fans are not really a priority here.

Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen Fletcher being associated with recruitment on any level in the club. I do remember club journos being consistent that he's mostly responsible for transition from academy to the first team and coaching at the beginning.

We'll probably find that out later. At least a month ago, we were supposed to still get a Head of Recruitment on top of Wilcox, Ashworth and Berrada and previously Dougie Freedman was a media favorite, but it seems that it has quieted down lately. Didn't see anything about whether it means that we stopped looking to fill the role or another candidate is coming.

OleGunnar20

Always had a bit of a soft spot for them when I was a kid, no idea why. I think it was the silly kits.

And I thought Morten Gamst Pederson was a cool name.

croadyman

In the end, technical director is a corporate title, not a heavily regulated job with precise set of responsibilities. There is a convention among media and fans about what 'technical director' should do, but I have never seen any attempt to actually check how many clubs adhere to that convention. I wouldn't be surprised (I doubt we'll ever be able to verify) if a ton of clubs deviated from this. People inside the club need to know what they are supposed to do, sports journalists and fans are not really a priority here.

Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen Fletcher being associated with recruitment on any level in the club. I do remember club journos being consistent that he's mostly responsible for transition from academy to the first team and coaching at the beginning.

We'll probably find that out later. At least a month ago, we were supposed to still get a Head of Recruitment on top of Wilcox, Ashworth and Berrada and previously Dougie Freedman was a media favorite, but it seems that it has quieted down lately. Didn't see anything about whether it means that we stopped looking to fill the role or another candidate is coming.
Yeah looks like plans for a Head of Recruitment and Wilcox have been shelved for some reason

Big Andy

Bloke
Always had a bit of a soft spot for them when I was a kid, no idea why. I think it was the silly kits.

And I thought Morten Gamst Pederson was a cool name.
Used to fecking hate them in the early 90's and was ecstatic that they faded to irrelevance.

Big Andy

Bloke
Tim Sherwood
Stuart Ripley
Colin Hendry
Bobby Mimms
Chris Sutton
Alan Shearer
Tim Flowers
Paul Warhurst
Henning Berg
Ian Pearce
Mike Newell

All cnuts.