Jason Wilcox - New technical director

SAF is the GOAT

Is Jason also the 1 to judge when organizing and orchestrating the academy and transfers?
I'll give an example: If Jason knows about a talented player in the academy in a specific position, can he structure and plan that we won't need to buy from outside and he can talk to the manager about involving the player and get that individual some minutes as we did with Kobe and Garna ? Or maybe loan him so that eventually he'll come back to be in the squad ?

Gavinb33

Could someone enlighten me as to why he’s highly rated? What’s he done that can make me excited about this news? Other than just hopelessly believe he can help turn us around I mean.
I mean if you believe one man can turn it around on his own your probably going to be disappointed in Wilcox alone, the thing you have to trust is the new set up if Berrada thinks he is the man to bring in you have to have a leap of faith somewhat and believe he is the right fit, also to turn it around is going to take time also if anyone thinks this will be easy ir quick they are in for a short sharp shock imo

didz

He was only in this role for a year at Southampton, prior to that he was at City in various academy coaching roles, during that time one of the players that came thru was Phil Foden
To add to this, he was also the guy that convinced City to keep Palmer when they were all set to release him at 16. So he effectively made them £40m out of nothing with that one. Or to put it another way, Wilcox is the reason we can't sign Palmer for peanuts this summer, the bastard.

SuperiorXI

To add to this, he was also the guy that convinced City to keep Palmer when they were all set to release him at 16. So he effectively made them £40m out of nothing with that one. Or to put it another way, Wilcox is the reason we can't sign Palmer for peanuts this summer, the bastard.
Cox out

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He's the reason why City kept Cole Palmer.

At the age of 16, the forward was set to be released by Man City after failing to earn a professional contract.

Had he been released, Palmer would have found himself in the same situation as so many fledgling footballers as they look to find a route back into the game following such a seismic early blow to their hopes.

Thankfully for Palmer, he had a huge advocate in Wilcox who progressed from Under-18 head coach to the position of Academy Director with the Premier League giants.

Wilcox, who is now director of football with Southampton, put his head on the block by advocating for Palmer to be handed a professional deal in the hope that the talented starlet would prove himself capable of becoming a first team star.

didz

What's does his role involve?
From club statement

He will work with all technical areas of the football department to achieve the highest standards of performance.

From Sky:

Berrada wants the former winger, who won the Premier League with Blackburn in 1995, to form a crucial part of the new set-up at Old Trafford; and to be guided, eventually, by sporting director-elect Dan Ashworth.

SAF is the GOAT

Exclusive: How Jason Wilcox will shape Manchester United’s academy under INEOS

Manchester United are set to appoint Jason Wilcox as the club’s new technical director, who had a big hand in Manchester City’s academy.

Manchester City‘s academy has produced several high-class talents over the last decade, with the likes of Phil Foden, Jadon Sancho, and Cole Parmer excelling at the Etihad or elsewhere during the early years of their careers.

A man who dealt with all these players and was a huge reason for the club’s success was Jason Wilcox, the former director of the academy. He is now set to join Manchester United as the new technical director under INEOS.

Wilcox has most recently held a post as Southampton’s director of football for the last nine months and has been linked with Liverpool, but has reportedly resigned to aid his now-pending move to Old Trafford.

Speaking exclusively to UtdDistrict, Senior Southampton reporter for the Daily Echo Alfie House has highlighted the impact that Wilcox has made at St. Mary’s during his time there and what this will mean for United going forward.

“The one thing that you can see that’s happened already, and this is from the first team down to even the under-18s, under-16s, is that they do play pretty much exactly the same way,” House explained when asked what Wilcox has done with the academy.

“They play this 4-3-3 with a number nine that sort of drops into midfield to spin balls off and turn. You’ve got wingers making constant runs, full-backs are coming into the middle of the pitch, inverting. They’re all doing that in every age group.”

Speaking further, House explained how Wilcox has impacted not only the playing style but also the back-room staff surrounding the academy players.

“Wilcox has hired a new academy director. He’s hired an academy head of recruitment. He’s hired an under-21s head coach. He’s hired an under-21s assistant coach. He’s hired an under-18s head coach. It’s all been completely revamped from last season. And a couple of those have come from Man City.

“A couple of those have come from Swansea, where Russell Martin was. So he’s brought in a whole new image. They’ve changed it completely from his 4-2-2-2 playbook, which you may have heard of. Southampton had a playbook that was designed by Ralph Hasenhüttl and Matt Crocker, which was the 4-2-2-2. So they’ve changed that completely.

“And obviously, he’s done all of that alongside hiring a new first-team head of recruitment, a new first-team manager, first-team backroom staff. So he’s done all of that in one summer. But you can see the alignment in terms of the way they play.”

Wilcox’s impact at United may be slightly different to what he was able to do at Southampton because he will be working for others above him, House explained. But, it must be considered that this will not be a new challenge for him, as he had done so previously.

“I suppose coming to Manchester United, it would be very different because he’s not going to be designing the play style in his image. He’s going to be working for people above him.

“But I suppose he’s done that for Man City for 11 years, working from coach to academy director. He’s worked under people before. So it will be interesting to see what his role is at United if it happens.”

One connection that must not be forgotten is that Wilcox will have worked with United’s new CEO, Omar Berrada, while the pair were at City. Thus, he will be able to fit seamlessly into the setup at Old Trafford once he joins.

Considering his previous roles, it feels likely that he will help adjust United’s academy to make sure all levels, from the juniors to the first team, are playing in similar styles and systems, just like he has done at Southampton. He will also make sure that all the right people are in place.

There is still debate surrounding when Wilcox will be able to join United. There have been reports that Southampton are “angry” at the way in which the club have gone about grabbing Wilcox from their grasp.

However, sources have told UtdDistrict that United have been respectful and followed the correct processes by making an official approach to Southampton.

It is also understood that they have agreed to pay Southampton the equivalent of a full year of his salary, despite his only being with them for nine months. There is hope for a reasonable and amicable outcome for all parties.

Woziak

What's does his role involve?
Im
No expert but I would think he will be the conduit between Nick Cox(Academy Director), the First team Coach and Reporting direct to Dan Ashworth, almost like his number two,

Wilcox has an excellent record with the youth and understand the role Nick Cox is doing more than anyone else now at the club, he’ll also be looking to appoint scouts that report directly to him and Dan Ashworth and create pathways for youth players like Shea Lacey, Jack Fletcher and others to come through.

Short Term - He will act more like DOF this summer while the club agrees a severance deal with Newcastle for Dan Ashworth. He has a particularly good relationship with players like Jeremie Frimpong, Jared Branthwaite, Cole Palmer, Tosin Aderbiyou and Jadon Sancho, some of these played for his youth team, some like brantwaite have David Reeves as their agent who is extremely close to Wilcox.

He will have a huge influence this summer, so expect some young players we’ve not heard of as well.

Long Term - With Berrada and Ashworth they will implement a football structure which will breakdown into ;
1. The same Style of Play throughout all teams from youth to Mens.
2. Youth Development and pathway to first team becomes clearer
3. Improving Scouting Network with 6 maybe 7 heads for each continent, Africa, Asia, Europe, South America, Central and Notth America, Oceania, Middle East
4. Setting Manager and First team Targets and helping them receive the help needed to succeed
5. Radically chang the Medical Department, upgrading equipment and improving overall performance
6. Part of a transfer committee who are responsible for selling and buying platters.
7. Involved with Ashworth and Berrada on player contracts.
8. oversee Yourh and Women’s team performance.

In the immediate, he might be at Wembley On Sunday making a copious amount of notes and after the game, realise that he might have chose the wrong career path ?

Yakuza_devils

Wilcox to revive Sancho's career in Man Utd! Hopefully also unearth more gems in the academy!

croadyman

Hopefully not. I'm still looking forward to the Head of recruitment's recruitment. They shouldn't half ass anything.
Yeah talk of appointing one seems to have completely died down so maybe plans have changed

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I'm glad to see us hiring someone our new CEO wants to work with, who has worked successfully before and has a good CV. Even better, hes a former fecking player. This feels like a grown up decision.

croadyman

There was a posted on here that kept hinting that Dougie Freedman will be joining us, what's going on with that?
Yeah Julian Ward was the other one,however Ornstein seemed convinced he wouldn't be appointed

AneRu

I mean if you believe one man can turn it around on his own your probably going to be disappointed in Wilcox alone, the thing you have to trust is the new set up if Berrada thinks he is the man to bring in you have to have a leap of faith somewhat and believe he is the right fit, also to turn it around is going to take time also if anyone thinks this will be easy ir quick they are in for a short sharp shock imo
Yeah that's fair, expecting one man to be the messiah is mainly why we find ourselves in this position. We need collaborative efforts and we mostly need someone who can listen to our own scouts and push for the deals they identify at the upper echelons of the club.

From him personally I expect that, given the fact that he has spent the last season in the Championship, he will be able to steer us into the direction of one or two players there who are ready for the Premier league or who can be project signings at LB, CB or midfield. If we can bring two or three talented players from that league who can come in and contribute positively for a combined fee around 50m I'd be chuffed.

Because when I look at what we absolutely need I see the DM, RCB, LCB and striker. That's bound to cost a King's Ransom but we don't have adequate back up at DM and LB, so if we got those two roles sorted from the Championship by getting two young players ready to fill in who have the talent to challenge for starting spot in a few years time then we will be in a strong position.

Grande

Probably somewhat incidental, but maybe not totally, this is pretty in line with how we play now:

“The one thing that you can see that’s happened already, and this is from the first team down to even the under-18s, under-16s, is that they do play pretty much exactly the same way,” House explained when asked what Wilcox has done with the academy.

“They play this 4-3-3 with a number nine that sort of drops into midfield to spin balls off and turn. You’ve got wingers making constant runs, full-backs are coming into the middle of the pitch, inverting. They’re all doing that in every age group.”

didz

or maybe he knows exactly what Sancho's attitude is and will do his best to push him out
Apparently he likes him, which wouldn't be too surprising as Sancho was impressing a lot during his tenure. And besides, he knew what he was like as a teenager. I suspect the issue with Sancho is that he's still exactly the same as he was at 16.

Ultimately I don't think Wilcox will have much bearing on the Sancho situation. He might be a voice in his favour, but unless he can get the player to apologise to his teammates and possibly his coach, that's all he'll be.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Im
No expert but I would think he will be the conduit between Nick Cox(Academy Director), the First team Coach and Reporting direct to Dan Ashworth, almost like his number two,

Wilcox has an excellent record with the youth and understand the role Nick Cox is doing more than anyone else now at the club, he’ll also be looking to appoint scouts that report directly to him and Dan Ashworth and create pathways for youth players like Shea Lacey, Jack Fletcher and others to come through.

Short Term - He will act more like DOF this summer while the club agrees a severance deal with Newcastle for Dan Ashworth. He has a particularly good relationship with players like Jeremie Frimpong, Jared Branthwaite, Cole Palmer, Tosin Aderbiyou and Jadon Sancho, some of these played for his youth team, some like brantwaite have David Reeves as their agent who is extremely close to Wilcox.

He will have a huge influence this summer, so expect some young players we’ve not heard of as well.

Long Term - With Berrada and Ashworth they will implement a football structure which will breakdown into ;
1. The same Style of Play throughout all teams from youth to Mens.
2. Youth Development and pathway to first team becomes clearer
3. Improving Scouting Network with 6 maybe 7 heads for each continent, Africa, Asia, Europe, South America, Central and Notth America, Oceania, Middle East
4. Setting Manager and First team Targets and helping them receive the help needed to succeed
5. Radically chang the Medical Department, upgrading equipment and improving overall performance
6. Part of a transfer committee who are responsible for selling and buying platters.
7. Involved with Ashworth and Berrada on player contracts.
8. oversee Yourh and Women’s team performance.

In the immediate, he might be at Wembley On Sunday making a copious amount of notes and after the game, realise that he might have chose the wrong career path ?
Most of this I can see, but I would have thought that scouting will be done by the head of recruitment, which we're yet to sign.

McFred

Technical Director who hasn’t done that role before

CEO who hasn’t done that role before

They might be great people and I hope they are, and they will no doubt have many of the skills required, but the fact that they have not done these jobs before gives a bit of concern.

Drainy

They might be great people and I hope they are, and they will no doubt have many of the skills required, but the fact that they have not done these jobs before gives a bit of concern.
Sure, and I get it, but I'm sure Ineos have have a structure to support and mentor people in their new roles, knowing their competencies from their previous successes

Jean-Claude Blanc assisting Omar Berrada assisting Wilcox etc. etc.

Glorio

Could someone enlighten me as to why he’s highly rated? What’s he done that can make me excited about this news? Other than just hopelessly believe he can help turn us around I mean.
I don't know him at all, but according to the Sky Sports article, his stellar work at City where he rose through the ranks, bringing through talented players like Sancho, Foden, the fact that he's said to instill an enjoyable but challenging culture of excellence, has a clear view of how football should be played, is obsessed with having a first team packed with high quality players from thr academy, and his short time with Southampton coincided with their longest unbeaten streak.

Last edited:

Glorio

Is Jason also the 1 to judge when organizing and orchestrating the academy and transfers?
I'll give an example: If Jason knows about a talented player in the academy in a specific position, can he structure and plan that we won't need to buy from outside and he can talk to the manager about involving the player and get that individual some minutes as we did with Kobe and Garna ? Or maybe loan him so that eventually he'll come back to be in the squad ?
Jason #FreeHannibal

Glorio

Did Southampton have a technical director that reported to him or did his role cover that? Genuinely don't know, just asking

AneRu

Wilcox just spent a year as DOF at Southampton, what had Edwards done before becoming Liverpool's Technical Director?

Berrada reportedly handled or participated in transfer negotians at City. He is the guy who advised City to walk away from the Maguire deal, reportedly so he has expertise in what has been our Achilles Heel for over a decade. He has a background in football marketing and we have Blanc in the board and heavily involved at INEOS.

dubplate warrior

My understanding is he was key to developing City's outstanding academy. Don't know much about what he's done at Southampton but they didn't want to lose him.

Woziak

Most of this I can see, but I would have thought that scouting will be done by the head of recruitment, which we're yet to sign.
He has a youth network and was putting together another network with Southampton so he will have input in this area too.